Huge dude, huge sledgehammers

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Huge dude, huge sledgehammers

Post by reinhard » Mon May 01, 2006 1:53 pm

A little too huge, but in case any of you were worried that it's not possible to get truly enormous doing this:

http://www.warhammers.co.uk/

(don't worry, lithe ladies, you aren't going to get this enormous by accident, it takes huge effort and huge amounts of testosterone)

Kroft67 turned me on to the existence of these behemoths in this post.

You can also buy them (in USD) here:

http://torqueathletic.com

But I'd truly recommend sticking with consumer grade sledges unless breaking some kind of record is worth the possibility of breaking your back.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue May 02, 2006 12:19 am

Who you calling lithe???? :twisted:

LOL...
That hammer almost looks like the size of a small car battery! LOL... :P

I'm fine with my normal one!

Have fun Reinhard :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kroft67

Post by kroft67 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:12 am

That guy John Brookfield is a legend in strongman circles especially when it comes to hand/grip strength. I'm sure he uses hammers but he also uses a lot of other training tools too. The guy on the torqueathletic site (Paul Smith) is a big bruiser as well but again I'm sure he does more than use hammers.

If you're just doing the shovelglove exercises there's really no need for the expensive solid steel hammers but for actually hitting things on a regular basis the war hammers should be more durable in the long run. Of course you can use a regular hardware store hammer for striking too, as that is after all, what they are designed for.

The 30 lb war hammer I have is a bit shorter than the 16 and 12 lb hammers I own and the handle is round rather than oval. I can tell you that an all-out circular swing and strike with it is quite an effort. I can't really imagine being able to handle a 50 lb hammer very well much less a 150 lb hammer. I'm not sure how well I could even pick up a hammer that size much less swing it around. :P

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:03 am

Oh, I gotta get me one of those.... :twisted:
Fall down seven times, get up eight.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:35 am

VanillaGorilla wrote:Oh, I gotta get me one of those.... :twisted:
get one of the 100lb ones and let us know how it feels will ya? :)

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:51 am

I just may when I have some extra fun money kicking around! I'll go out on a limb and conservatively say it'll be "really, really heavy" though... :lol:
Fall down seven times, get up eight.