Strawberry Roan's 2016 Check In Thread

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Strawberry Roan

Strawberry Roan's 2016 Check In Thread

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:50 pm

H A P P Y .... N E W ...... Y E A R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love a new year, new beginnings for the whole wide world.

Looking forward to another great year on this board, as I have said before - the most supportive group of people on the whole wide web :lol:

I started this online diet/health/fitness process 9 years ago, weighing 160 pounds. I started here at 158 pounds and got SO into the whole process that I lost down to about 135 pounds, which was way too thin. People actually feared I was very ill. I looked much older than my years so I eased up a bit and learned my correct/best/healthiest weight. That is about 145 in the summer and 152 in the winter - and everywhere in between. 147 is probably a good weight for me.

Right now I weigh 154 (weighed 157 on the opening thread of my 2015 daily check in so I must have holiday indulged a bit more last year). I believe my plan will be to try to weigh 145 on my birthday, March 2nd. Then I will be at a good summer weight. I understand that 9 pounds is very attainable but isn't it funny that the "battle" is the same be it 9 pounds or 90? It is still one pound at a time.

I really love the kindness of this board where honesty reigns and nobody says - you weigh how much? You eat how much? Not all boards are like that and I think that is why this board has been such a success. We truly do care about each other.

Luckily, I do love to eat my big ole salads every night and exercise is a daily ritual - has been for about fifty years. I do have a good muscle mass which is why I can carry a lot more poundage on my 5'5" frame than the charts would allow.

Looking forward to the journey and do plan to follow the No S concept as much as possible - sweets are not a problem except for holidays, etc. Seconds are never a problem BUT snacks are the issue. I never realized how often I snacked on "healthy" foods until I stopped doing so.

On to 2016, I truly wish each and every one of you the very healthiest year possible.

CW 1/1/16 - 154

GW 3/2/16 - 145
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:57 pm

Tonight's salad will be,

a couple of Artisan lettuces, (purple and green) baby spinach leaves, sliced boiled egg, shredded mozzarella cheese, black olives, dried cranberries, sliced green onions, grape tomatoes, cucumber chunks, and who knows what else - a dinner plate sized dinner for sure. Most of my nightly meals are variations on the giant salad theme. with some types of protein thrown in. Will top it with sliced almonds, red wine pomegranate vinegar, ground flax seed (freshly ground this morning) and a little splash of olive oil.

Already looking forward to it. If I plan out a healthy, beautifully colored meal in my mind - the anticipation alone is part of the joy of eating. :)
Berry

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:07 am

Happy New Year! I hope you have a great year no-essing :-) Your salads sound yummy!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

natj

Post by natj » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Berry,

I wish you a great year of No S ing!

Love hearing your positive words and encouragement. I also just realized that our birthdays are very close- I'm at the beginning March too! Enjoyed your recap and story and look forward to reading more about your salads and exercising this year.

Best wishes

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:36 pm

Thank you both so much for stopping by with the good wishes. :wink:

Just ate breakfast/lunch (12:30 p.m.) Had a Morning Star farms breakfast sandwich - on flatbread thins, veggie sausage, scrambled egg and cheese. It was yummy.

Also had half a ruby red grapefruit chunked up and mixed with vanilla Greek yogurt, ground flax seed and cinnamon. Equally yummy.

Won't eat anything else until dinner - which will be, yes, a big salad. Tonight I shall vary it up with some red/green/yellow pepper strips, blueberries and maybe some kale. Perhaps some veggie chic'n nuggets as well.

You should see my countertops when I am making my salads. Looks like Thanksgiving dinner, so many items all over. My husband said that is why more people don't eat big salads, it would be easier to stick something in the microwave and call it dinner :D

Got in lots of exercise yesterday, will do so today as well. I try to do at least an hour a day, not counting the routine exercise one gets living on a horse farm in the Ozarks. I do a solid, vigorous, thirty minutes on the exercise bike, at least fifty reps (often 100) on the Ab Coaster, lots of different things on the Gym Bar system, Body Blades, weights, etc. and I use this twisting thing that is put on the floor and I just twist away for about 250 reps (I put it at the end of the island so I can hold on to the countertop and not get dizzy - or fall) :roll: I often do the Gazelle glider in the early morning but that is more to relax than for true exercise. I am very lucky to have an exercise room in the house (spare bedroom).

Very energized about the new year, will record my weight every Friday (although I weigh every morning)

Happy Saturday to you all. Treat yourself well, you deserve it.
Berry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:34 am

You are doing fantastic! All that exercise is very motivational and your salads sound delicious. :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Thanks ! And Happy Tuesday All,

Everything is going great, been very busy at work so haven't been eating any breakfast and drinking a Premier Protein (30 g) drink for lunch - having a normal dinner. Feels great - cookies still sitting on the counter :D

Getting in all my exercise although it was late last night before I got to bed, had to get a lot done but made it. Went by the grocery store after work to get some more fresh produce.

Feels so good to be over the holiday excess. Hard to believe some live with that type (and amount) of food everyday.

Tonight's salad will have a big, beautiful avocado and fresh tangerine segments in it - along with glazed walnuts.
Berry

natj

Post by natj » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:30 am

Hi Berry,

Hope you enjoyed your salad this evening. I LOVE putting avocado into mine- so yummy!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi Berry,

Happy New Year! Doing well, I see!

Thank you so much for your lovely words on my thread.

:)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks NoS ers :D

Doing great. Spent yesterday shopping with friends (ate at Wendy's and had yummy chili along with a root beer float). :wink: Will be spending the day out with hubby today, capped off with dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

Friday , so today's weight - 154. My body is petty happy at this weight so it will hold onto it for a while, then accept a bit lower weight. Had a great week, lots of good food and didn't miss a single day of exercise. Got a lot of great produce yesterday, including 8 avocados at Aldi's - big, fat, perfect ones for 39 cents each :roll: Love it

To your health all.
Berry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:55 am

Continuing to do great I see! Loooove avocados. Have fun with those & thanks for stopping by my thread with your wise words. :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:18 pm

Love you guys :D

First let me say that I don't red or green or anything re: No S - I just try to live by the principles most days. Most, but naturally not all. I just try not to have any out of control days.

One day a week I spend out with friends and we usually (especially in cold weather) end up at Wendy's and get their chili. That is exactly what we did on Thursday. I have only the small chili and Jr. chocolate frosty (the tiny cup) and a Diet Cherry Dr.Pepper. That is the only soda I drink all week, used to drink two a day or so. My soda habit was broken last year, happy to say. Enjoyed my meal immensely and didn't miss the triple cheeseburgers or fries or whatever the others were eating at all.

Yesterday went well, my husband got to do his prosthetic therapy on a cane instead of a walker for the first time and he did great. GREAT ! We celebrated our day together at our favorite Mexican restaurant - a real, family owned, Mexican restaurant where four generations work (and live). They own the whole block and have homes/apartments above or near the restaurant. They are jut wonderful people.

Had a great meal, it was about 2:30 in the afternoon so were just took our time and enjoyed our food as neither of us had eaten anything all day. I ate (besides the wonderfully thin, crispy, baked chips and fresh homemade salsa), avocado salad, chili relleno and refried beans. My meal came with a taco but I put it on my husband's plate.

Dinner was just a banana and orange cut up in vanilla Greek yogurt as I obviously had eaten a large lunch. Sprinkled ground flax seed and cinnamon on top and it was very yummy.

Snowing outside for the first time this winter, very pretty.

Enjoy your Saturday all. I don't really treat S days too differently than other days but I do know that many really look forward to them. I did eat a leftover Christmas chocolate chip cookie last night and it actually was still quite good. I keep a slice of bread in the container so the cookies don't get too hard and it seems to work.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:26 pm

Saturday breakfast - steel cut oats with raisins, cinnamon and flax seed. (No butter, sugar or cream). One slice of avocado toast. Coffee with vanilla creamer and coconut oil.

Filling and good!

Probably won't eat again until dinner, it is pizza night. Huge salad, one slice of pizza.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:00 pm

Happy Sunday !

Had a rare Sunday brunch today (we normally are at church and don't eat before we go) but church was cancelled due to flooded roads now icing over - it was 7 degrees when I got up :shock:

SO, we just finished homemade biscuits and gravy - I had one biscuit split open and covered with gravy and one biscuit with butter and homemade strawberry jam that a friend from church gave us at Christmas. YUMMY.

Hubby had his biscuit with gravy, biscuit with butter and honey and two slices of bacon. We both had coffee with coconut oil and orange juice.

Making a pork roast with carrot/potatoes/onions/celery for dinner (I will eat the veggies) The house will smell good this afternoon, for sure. :P Will make us both a side salad, trying to keep it under dinner plate size. Gotta have something cool and crispy.

Might eat a black bean veggie burger and handful of oven fries early afternoon if we will be eating a late dinner. He would get a real burger, we have lots of friends who raise black Angus cattle so we get our beef from them.

Enjoy your day all.
Berry

natj

Post by natj » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:25 pm

Mmmm... that biscuit with homemade strawberry jam sounds delish! Such a nice S day treat.

That pot roast also sounds lovely...Now that I think about it, I don't remember you eating meat as a part of your salads. Are you vegetarian?

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi, I prefer not to eat meat and rarely do. When out with the gals, I like Wendy's chili (our local place makes the chili out of the burgers that have been on the warmer for a certain period of time so there are big chunks - easy to pick out if needed). I guess all Wendy's do this.

I am not a PETA member or anything, certainly love my leather boots, etc. I just have learned so much about how long it takes the body to digest different meats that I prefer to not partake of it, if possible. The thoughts of all that meat just hanging around turning to bacteria - ugh....

There are so many veggie options out there these days should one want a burger or a chik'n patty, etc., some are really, really good. A new line I have been loving is Quorn, meatless and soyfree - based on quinoa. But, mainly I use other sources of protein.

Didn't need the burger(s) today, neither of us were hungry. About to start dinner, the roast and veggies are perfect. And the salads are sizable but not huge :D He always says, do you know how to make a small salad?

I say, No. 8)
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:57 am

Evening all, Happy Monday !

Had a busy, busy day at work. Besides the normal legal secretary stuff, I emptied drawers, cabinets, etc. in preparation for all new furniture being delivered tomorrow, as well as a new phone system, computer, monitor, scanner, etc. etc. The works ! Yay. Got a great end of year bonus, a raise and all new S T U F F !! Love my job. :lol:

Didn't have anything to eat (did have my morning coffee w/coconut oil) until about 2. Then had a Greek yogurt with a chopped up gala apple and chopped up tangerine - mixed it all together and then sprinkled it with ground flax seed, cinnamon and protein powder. Very yummy. Drink unsweetened green tea all day long.

Made a spinach salad for dinner for both of us - made his angus burger and oven fries, made my Quorn burger and oven fries -(no bread or bun for either burger) realized there was no way I could eat the salad, burger and fries. So, I put most of the salad in a container for work tomorrow (before I added the olive oil and pomegranate red wine vinegar - have both of those in the office). Ate the smaller serving of salad and burger, couldn't finish the fries.

Plenty of food. I really think I do better on the intermittent fasting, even if it is not intentional. I much prefer to go at least 16-18 hours or so between my dinner meal and "meal to break the fast". Easy to do unless I am going out to eat with others.

Been getting in all my exercise, very happy about that.

To your health, all. :wink:
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:37 am

Happy Tuesday All !!

What a wacky day at work, finally got everything in place and installed - looks great. One minor problem - our new HP all in one scanner/fax/copier won't accept the new Windows 10 but I will download a software/driver update in the morning. Have to have it working as we do all our filings scanned electronically now. Could be worse, for a couple of hours NOTHING worked :shock:

Didn't eat a bite all day, the boss even offered to buy me lunch but I was too involved in other stuff to enjoy food. Did drink my coffee/green tea/water. Going on seven here, will have a salad with a whole avocado sliced in it for sure as several are ripening. Might make some guacamole!

Just finished my exercise so just lolling around until the hubby finishes his shower. Making him pan fried fish tonight (in coconut oil) with his salad and whatever else he might like. Probably corn or peas or green beans as he had potatoes, carrots, celery, onions with the pork roast (and naturally there are leftovers in the fridge). ETA, He went with macaroni and cheese as a side - the salad had enough veggies I am sure. He said fish and macaroni and cheese takes him back to Catholic school - every Friday !

Hope this finds everybody healthy and happy :wink:
Berry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:25 am

Glad you got everything mostly set up. I wish I could forget to eat. Yeah just does not happen to this girl!

Seems like you & your DH have a lovely relationship. &#128525;

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:23 pm

Thanks, yes I do have a wonderful, wonderful husband. A true country gentleman. We have a lot of fun Last night he said, promise me you won't tell the guys that I asked for extra dried cranberries on my salad :D

Let's see, yesterday was Wednesday, got everything set up at work but it was busy, busy, busy. Left a message for the Thurs/Fri gal that started with YIKES ! Call me if you can't find anything, we have obviously rearranged.

Ate some cottage cheese and an avocado in the early afternoon then had my big salad (with another avocado) for dinner (he had a smaller salad - with extra cranberries - along with tamales topped with chili and cheese) Let me say that the 39cent avocados that I bought last week at Aldi's were all excellent. Hope to find some more today because ------

Today is shopping day with friends - our weekly jaunt. We will eat at Wendy's - we are such regulars there they ask about us by name if one is missing for some reason or another. Will have my small chili and Jr. chocolate frosty along with my one weekly soda. And will also have lots and lots of fun. !!!

Hoping the same for each of you - a healthy, fun filled day.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:07 am

Happy Thursday All,

It is late evening now, had a great day. Ate and exercised as planned. Bought a LOT of healthy, beautiful food today. Had a great salad with chia seeds, stunningly pretty sweet orange pepper and dried mixed berries (cherries, blueberries,elderberries, I do believe - from Aldi's, crisp cucumbers, avocado (yes they were 39cents again this week so I got 8 again, endive and other yummy stuff. )

My husband and I are off running around tomorrow so will eat out somewhere, probably our Mexican restaurant as it is truly our favorite place. No breakfast for either of us, we never eat before we head out for the day early.

To your health all :wink:
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berry

CDee

Post by CDee » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:10 am

I have never eaten or seen an elderberry. I would love to taste some. I am glad you enjoyed your mixrd berries.
I believe I can do this!

Starting at a size 14 (Jan. 2016)
Current size is 14
Goal is a size 8

natj

Post by natj » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:17 am

Berry,

When reading your posts, I feel like I can almost "see" your salads and your meals. You do such a great job describing your daily meals, the landscape, your husband, and all the parts of your life. It is a real pleasure! Anyway, I hope you have a lovely day and lovely upcoming weekend.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:40 pm

Aww, thanks. I truly love beautiful, healthy food. So many good things out there to eat. I truly would rather have a big, healthy salad than a banana split. Truly, truly would.

Let's see - first of all, Happy Friday ! Today's weigh in - 152 . Wore a brand new pair of size 8 jeans - skinny jeans, if you will. They fit great, just the way the hubby likes them (or so he said).

Just got home from a day out, had a lot of fun and had a leisurely late lunch at the Mexican restaurant. I had my favorites - chili relleno, avocado salad and refried beans - plus the chips and salsa, of course. Couldn't eat it all but enjoyed what I did eat. Loved the company :) We really do enjoy a long, leisurely lunch or dinner out. Talk like little magpies! I see couples sitting, eating, not saying a word and I cannot fathom it.

Probably won't eat any dinner as it is already 4. If I eat anything, it will be maybe a --------------- salad :roll: with a chopped up avocado, tomato and egg in it, sprinkled with cheese, flax or chia seeds and vinegar. That sounds yummy but I seriously doubt that I will at any more today.

ETA, dinner will be Cream of Mushroom soup and roast beef sandwich for him, nothing for me. Green tea is all I seem to want.

Plan to get in my exercise as soon as all my food is fully settled. I look forward to hitting the exercise room, same as hitting the bubble bath. Both are very relaxing to me.
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:46 pm

CDee wrote:I have never eaten or seen an elderberry. I would love to taste some. I am glad you enjoyed your mixrd berries.
Hi - I'm not sure that I have ever eaten an elderberry either. Actually was rather surprised to see that they were one of the cherries and mixed berries in the bag I bought. I know that the mix was very good, one of the berries was quite a bit larger than the others, maybe it was the elderberry.

I got them at Aldi's. I LOVE that store, we were all chatting on the way home about how great our Aldi's is - so clean and so filled with healthy foods and gluten free foods (should one need them). Love the staff and the selection of products. Probably do 2/3 of my grocery shopping there (they are right next to a WalMart which will price match without even asking as they have the Aldi's ad at their register - so you don't have to try and see who has the better buy on something.)
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Happy Saturday All !

Beautiful day in the Ozarks, we have already played with the horses (and cat, he always gets involved with the morning feedings :D ), did some exercise and finally made breakfast/brunch - as it is almost eleven.

Made him bacon and waffles with orange juice - made me a spinach/banana/banana-strawberry Fit n Active yogurt (Aldi' "healthy" brand), a splash of orange juice, crushed ice and water and chia seed smoothie. It made a LOT as I added several handfuls of spinach. So yummy. Won't eat again until dinner which will be veggie pizza (topped with caramelized red/yellow/orange peppers, red onions and mushrooms. AND a big salad! I was reading on a health site this morning how few people get in 7 veggies and/or fruits a day and I thought - no problem here!

Will get in lots of exercise today and I always enjoy that - not going anywhere so I will have time to do a lot around the house. Plan to go through some clothes/shoes/purses, etc. to donate to a local woman's shelter as my volunteer group will be helping out there on Thursday before our monthly committee meeting.

Wishing you all a wonderful, wonderful Saturday.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:50 pm

Happy Sunday All !

Another great day here, but C O L D ! Going to be single digits tonight so there will be some farm prep to do this afternoon - leave water dripping in the cabin so the pipes don't freeze. Extra grain for the horses and use the red clover hay with the extra, extra nutrients ! Luckily, it will be back in the fifties in a couple of days.

No breakfast for either of us, made him a ham/egg/cheese on whole wheat bread sandwich - I was craving some hot fresh veggies so I roasted some carrots, potatoes, celery and onions. They were yummy. We then had to follow up our lunch with a peanut butter cookie - yes, still good from Christmas. :roll:

Making beef tips for dinner for him. They will smell good cooking this afternoon. Will serve them over fettuccini/spinach/parmesan noodles. I will have my big ole salad and probably make us each a baked sweet potato.
ETA, Skipped the sweet potato as neither of us was that hungry, maybe tomorrow night. He said the beef tips and noodles were Y U M M Y !!!

Gotta hit the exercise room, happy Sunday all !
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:15 am

Happy Monday All ! The temperature this morning was MINUS ONE DEGREE, actual temperature ! :shock: But, it was temporary and the temps are going to be more seasonable now. Busy day at work, Mondays always are as I don't work Thursday or Friday and the woman who does only answers the phones and takes messages, she doesn't do any of the legal drafting or filing.

But, I got a lot done and had a great time. Ate a 21 gm protein bar (chocolate fudge) for lunch - it was in the pantry - we all just bring stuff and share it. It was, what's the word I am searching for?
as I
Oh yeah, dreadful ! Awfully, awfully dreadful in fact. But, I ate it all as I hate to waste food - and I must say that it was indeed filling. Having my evening salad soon and doubt that I will be able to finish it.

Already got in all my exercise, like to do it right after work (after I change into yoga pants and a t-shirt, take care of the animals, etc. ) When I finally am ready to relax, I hit the exercise room and listen to talk radio.

Wishing you all the very best,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:04 pm

Happy Tuesday All,

Came home from work at 1 p.m. by executive order (my boss :D ) Ice storm !! It is weird to be home during the day on a work day - I make sure everything is done before I leave in the morning so I really didn't have a lot to do. Hubby took a nap, I tried but just cant do it. I am not a napper.

But, now it is the time I would have been getting off so I am back on schedule. Will do some exercise, watch the news and sorta watch Wheel of Fortune with him while making dinner.

Tonight is going to be small salad, salmon patty and baked sweet potato for him, big salad and sweet potato for me. I had grapefruit and avocado for lunch.

Hoping all in the path of bad weather stay safe - I will be getting a ice day/snow day tomorrow again I am sure.
Berry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:21 am

Enjoy your snow days Strawberry although it sounds like you rather be at work?

Your meals look delicious as usual. :)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks, I did enjoy the day once I adjusted to being home early. :D I love my job and my home - I am just such a creature of habit that I get thrown off easily, I guess. Being home all day is fun, rushing to get things done to leave the office early was a bit frantic - but the sleet was falling about us.

Off work again today, iced in. Hopefully things will melt off today and I can get in my Thursday and Friday excursions but we shall see.

Ate and exercised as planned last night and plan to stay on track today.

Not sure what we will be eating, still early and hubby is still asleep. I would imagine bacon will be on his breakfast menu - and guarantee that it won't be on mine :D Drinking coffee/coconut oil right now.

ETA, Breakfast/brunch for each of us was a two egg omelet with lots of caramelized red/yellow/orange peppers and onions. He also had two slices of bacon and a glass of orange juice with his. Very filling and very pretty. I love all those colors of peppers!

Enjoy your day, all.
Berry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:04 am

omlet sounds delish! What's with the coconut oil and coffee? I may try it tomorrow!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi - the omelet was delicious, topped with cheese and salsa !

Regarding the coconut oil, just a tablespoon in the bottom of the first cup of coffee of the day - pour in the hot coffee to dissolve it and you have started your day with coconut oil. Lots of great health benefits to coconut oil, there are many who drink what is called bulletproof coffee which is coffee with coconut oil and real organic butter frothed in a blender. We don't do the butter, just pour the coffee over the oil. I am not about to dirty up a blender just to froth a cup of coffee.

Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not - but since we started doing this and cannot think of a single other demonstrative change in his diet or lifestyle - my husbands cholesterol numbers dramatically improved.

We buy our coconut oil at Aldi's. It is Simply Nature organic, unrefined, cold pressed, virgin oil 5 bucks for a 14oz jar.

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-ev ... conut-oil/

----------------------------------------------------------

Happy Thursday all ! Plans for the day were indeed cancelled so I am hanging around the farm again. Plans for tomorrow are still on, that's

good. Shopping day with friends. And Wendy's :lol:

Dinner last night was a small square of veggie lasagna, one piece of whole grain garlic bread and my big ole salad.

Breakfast today was - for him, three pancakes, three sausage links and apple juice, for me , steel cut oats with dried cranberries, chia seeds, a pat of butter, splash of milk, and some cinnamon. No sugar. Yummy.

ETA -

No lunch, just hot green tea/water/Dr. Phil reruns.

Dinner was, yes, a big ole salad with mixed greens, assorted veggies along with a chopped up tangerine, whole chopped avocado and boiled egg, shredded mozzarella cheese , flax seeds and lemon pepper crispy onions. Topped, as always, with one of my many vinegar selections. I only use vinegar on my salads. The fastest way to ruin a good salad is with a bad dressing.
Hubby is eating the leftover steak tips and fettuccini/spinach noodles.

Got in all my exercise, shall watch some tv, take a hot bubble bath and read some more of a great book, and then watch some more tv in bed. We always watch two episodes (at least) of King of Queens after the news until we fall asleep then somebody paws the bed in the middle of the night to turn off the tv.

To your health, all.

Plan to go into the office a bit later as the weather is improving, a couple of things I want to check on. ETA, Everything was fine except a crazy client forwarded us 46 (so far) texts from his even crazier ex-girlfriend :shock:
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Happy Friday All. Do I look sleepy? I was literally awake all night :shock: . I have, for really the first time in my life, had sinus issues this year - hard to breathe at night even with a humidifier.

Finally got out of bed about 3 and wandered into the den and turned the tv on (low volume). Watched some, then made coffee and a Morningstar Farms veggie sausage/scrambled egg on English muffin thins sandwich and got a glass of milk. The funny thing is - I rarely ever eat breakfast at the normal time, but it seemed like a good idea at 4 a.m.

And it was yummy. I took a nap on the couch until about 6 and then got ready to face a day of shopping! Never too tired for that.

Lunch will be at Wendy's and dinner will be salad and pizza.

Enjoy your Friday, all. :D

This week's weigh in - 151.
Berry

CDee

Post by CDee » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:59 pm

My little boy has this issue right now with his sinuses. He is miserable at night. I rub him down with Vick's. It helps a little but he says, "I don't like my shirt stuck."

I have tried the coconut oil in my coffee and I just can't get with it. I now just use it for general cooking, for my skin, and for my hair.
I believe I can do this!

Current size is 14
Goal is a size 8

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:40 am

Ick-hope you feel better!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:00 pm

CDee wrote:My little boy has this issue right now with his sinuses. He is miserable at night. I rub him down with Vick's. It helps a little but he says, "I don't like my shirt stuck."

I have tried the coconut oil in my coffee and I just can't get with it. I now just use it for general cooking, for my skin, and for my hair.
Aww, I don't like my shirt stuck - how cute. Poor little guy, hope he feels better soon. Our new humidifier uses those little Vick's vapor sticks but I need even more. I read on Pinterest (isn't that a crazily addictive site?) to put a cotton ball soaked with eucalyptus or menthol in front of the discharge of the vaporizer. I shall get some at the health food store when I go out again. Couldn't hurt - and probably much, much cheaper.

The coconut oil is probably an acquired taste, if at all. I know we couldn't do the butter thing, drinking melted butter just seemed weird. Coconut oil, we are used to and actually like the taste.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:14 pm

lpearlmom wrote:Ick-hope you feel better!
Aww, thanks - I feel fine once I am up and about. Just first think in the morning my throat, mouth and nose are so dry I can barely breathe. When I am outside, I can breathe perfectly so I know it is just the indoor winter air. We keep the heat warmer than most due to my husband being on blood thinners after his amputation, he is always cold and I certainly don't want that.

Happy Saturday All !! Yesterday went exactly as planned as far as shopping, eating, exercising, etc. Got a cute plaid, waist length, zip front jacket. It is shades of russet/orange/dark brown (almost black) and a thin yellow stripe, brushed wool - fully lined in orange. The shades are muted and sorta run into each other, very pretty - not bright or anything. Will go great with skirts/dress slacks for work/church, etc. but also will be perfect for my new brown equestrian boots and my new skinny jeans !! Will wear it with a pale yellow cashmere sleeveless shell that feels yummy, have had it f o r e v e r ! Yes, more incentive to eat and exercise. Waist length jacket and skinny jeans where the butt is on view :shock:

Ate a cut up grapefruit and some cottage cheese for breakfast/lunch. We didn't eat until noon so hubby wanted two hot dogs and a handful of potato chips along with a bit of the cottage cheese. Not sure what dinner will be - I think I am making him beef stroganoff but I will probably stick to my salad.

Enjoy your day, all.
Berry

CDee

Post by CDee » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:44 am

I will have to look into getting a humidifier. He is 5. He reacts to all the seasonal changes. He gets stuffy and sneezy at least 3 times a year.

I love a hot dog, especially off the grill in the summer. That's a great lunch.
I believe I can do this!

Current size is 14
Goal is a size 8

natj

Post by natj » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:16 am

Berry,

I hope you feel better.

I read through your thread and look up the coconut oil in the coffee. I am curious about it, but since I'm not a big coconut fan, I'm not sure how I'd like the taste.

Anyway, it certainly does have LOTS of health benefits, so perhaps if I don't like the oil, maybe I can take it in capsule form? Who knows- I may just give it a shot.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:22 pm

Thanks, I do feel much better. I do think I have seen coconut oil capsules at he pharmacy department at Wal Mart. You might do a bit of research on them. My DIL doesn't like the smell or taste of coconut either.

Slept great, took a 10mg melatonin - advanced formula. Sometimes melatonin gives me crazy dreams but I slept right through last night without a single one. Woke up alert and ready to go ! BUT -

Hubby is the one not feeling too great this morning, Got up for church and then promptly went back to bed - just cold/sinus/allergy stuff. Maybe we can go to the evening service.

We won't have breakfast until late, probably lunch. I just ate a banana as I felt a bit "empty". Now I feel a bit "fuller" :D Will probably eat leftover pizza for lunch, a slice or two with some extra veggies thrown on top.

ETA, Hubby slept until noon so we didn't eat until after one. I ate two homemade peanut butter cookies and drank some milk while he was asleep - then we had homemade biscuits and gravy for "brunch". All was yummy.

Am making pork steak for dinner, probably with salad and corn on the cob (the little ones) for him, big spinach salad for me, I want to put pineapple in it tonight!

Will have extra time to exercise today so that is good. Got most of my housework done yesterday (laundry, bathrooms, vacuuming, etc.) so will have more play time today.

Wishing you all a great day.
Berry

natj

Post by natj » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:14 am

Berry,

Glad you are feeling better today.

Never thought about a spinach pineapple combo, but I do LOVE the spinach and strawberry (pun intended?) combo- so delish! Let us know how that turns out!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:13 am

Thanks, yes the pineapple was yummy.

Have been giving it some thought and realize that nobody really wants to hear about my latest salad - that is almost as annoying as me posting a photo each day of my dinner plate on Facebook (don't do FB, by the way).

I will check in weekly to say hi and weigh in, however.

To your health, all.
Berry

natj

Post by natj » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:22 am

LOL!

For the record, I LOVE hearing about your salads, but understand if posting about it gets repetitive.

I am also not on FB, and it's probably because people post those crazy pictures!

Anyway, see you next week. Hope it's a good one!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:59 am

Lol, I hear ya about FB--blech but being a big foodie I love hearing details of what people eat/cook as well! :)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:52 am

I love hearing about your salads, too!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:46 pm

Thanks, fellow dinner place sized rainbow colored salad lovers :lol:

:lol:

Everything is on track, this week's weigh in - 149 pounds ! So, technically I weigh 140 something, right? :roll:
Berry

natj

Post by natj » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:05 am

Technically YES!!!

Great news! You are only a few lbs away from your desired weight, right?

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:45 pm

I love hearing about new ideas for salads! I eat salads on a regular basis, and I like to mix them up, so they don't get boring. Good job on the weight loss!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:17 pm

Happy Friday and thanks for stopping by !

This week's weight is 149 and yes, that is near my desired weight. My best summer weight is about 145 - that is the weight where I can wear lightweight tops and not have to do any tugging or pulling or adjusting or anything. At that weight there is no muffin top or bra fat or anything like that, stomach is nice and flat. Goal by March 2 and I feel that I am on track to get there.

Still eating right and exercising, loving my farm - and my farmer :roll:

To your health all,

SW 154
CW 149
GW 145
Berry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:11 am

Yay all great stuff!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:06 pm

Thanks !

Things are going great - this week's weigh in is 146 :)
Doing a lot of strength training and it feels really good.

To your health all,
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:02 pm

2016 is going well, it looks like. Yay!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Thanks !

Weekly weigh in - 147 - which is great considering yesterday was a big bash at the local pizza buffet for Volunteer Appreciation Day and today was a girls get together at Wendy's.

And we won't talk about that coconut cream pie that I made the hubby for Valentine's Day :roll:

To your health all,
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:30 pm

I wanna talk about it! Or imagine it was pretty good.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Hello all, just checking in before I head out to church.

Everything is going great, weekly weight is 146 so I feel confident that I have made my March 2 birthday goal !

Went to the doctor Thursday - I never go to doctors but my husband went to him last Fall and was so impressed he thought I should establish a relationship with his practice as well - (just a check up to see if there are any suspicious moles to remove or anything). He is so nice, he is the top rated plastic surgeon in the region (and we are a huge medical area). He said that I have beautiful skin :roll: :roll: :roll: .

He also said that the fact that I have never been diagnosed with a serious condition such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, COPD, etc. and never taken a prescription medication (other than what would have been given to me in hospital setting, my last after a C section 42 years ago) - puts me in the top 1pct of the population worldwide at the age of 67.

He asked me what I ate, did I exercise, my skincare regime, etc.

It was a very nice visit - he is going to remove one mole on my chest as a precaution. Let's hope he didn't jinx me or anything :shock:

To your health, all.

ETA, weighed 149 at the doctor's office, surprised it wasn't more as I was

A. Fully dressed
B. On a doctor's scale :D
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:01 pm

And got weighed in the middle of the day, likely. I always weigh a little more at the doctor's office, but don't tell anyone I know how much I weigh as I'm always telling people not to use the scale as a measure of much.

Top 1%! Did you tell him about No S?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:21 pm

oolala53 wrote:And got weighed in the middle of the day, likely. I always weigh a little more at the doctor's office, but don't tell anyone I know how much I weigh as I'm always telling people not to use the scale as a measure of much.

Top 1%! Did you tell him about No S?

Not specifically as I don't really do the N day, S day thing as it was designed. I did tell him that I try to eat a plant based diet for the most part, lots and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy protein, lots of water and green tea, etc. I also said I try to avoid the sun during peak times, wear sunscreen after I have gotten a bit of Vit D each day, try to get adequate sleep, etc. Try being the operative word. And, without fail, exercise, exercise, exercise !

And I love, love, love my personal and professional life so that helps as far as stress levels which are so often etched on our faces !

:wink:
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:55 am

You're really a golden one, aren't you? Couldn't happen to a better person, I'm sure.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:45 am

Sounds like you are doing great, Strawberry!
Just wondering how you manage cooking for your hubby... it seems like you make him something special every evening, but it doesn't sound repetitive... do you manage to buy small portions of raw meats to make individual portions, or do you make up a bunch and freeze leftovers and rotate them? I imagine you might have some tips that would be helpful for cooking for one!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:59 am

osoniye wrote:Sounds like you are doing great, Strawberry!
Just wondering how you manage cooking for your hubby... it seems like you make him something special every evening, but it doesn't sound repetitive... do you manage to buy small portions of raw meats to make individual portions, or do you make up a bunch and freeze leftovers and rotate them? I imagine you might have some tips that would be helpful for cooking for one!
Hi and thanks :)

I usually buy family packs and refreeze smaller portions - the fish I buy is individually vacuum sealed in a big bag so I can just thaw out a filet or two. I rewrap chicken legs in a two pack, make salmon patties from the foil pack Chicken of the Sea pouches (no filler, no yucky stuff), rewrap pork chops and pork steaks individually, etc. I always have plenty should we have company that I can thaw out more than one pack or make a roast or something. When I make veggie chili, lasagna, beef stew, chicken and dumplings, etc. we have it as leftovers (we love leftovers - usually waiting a day or so in between). I make small meat loaves, tacos, burritos, etc. with good ground beef that is locally raised - black Angus. He says it I really good - and I believe him !! haha.... I make him shrimp sometimes, taquitos, veggie omelets, veggie quesadillas, grilled ham steak, lots of stuff. He is very easy to please.

Right now he is eating two baked chicken legs ( baked in a cast iron skillet that was sprayed with Baker's Joy so it forms a crusty breading - toward the end I drain off any fat and then baste with a little real butter and garlic salt.) Salad and corn on the cob!

To your health,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:09 am

oolala53 wrote:You're really a golden one, aren't you? Couldn't happen to a better person, I'm sure.

Aww thanks. :)

My life hasn't exactly been "golden" as I have lost a husband and two children along the way -- as well as the serious medical issues my current husband has battled the last couple of years , I call him that to see him roll his eyes :roll: but I try to be grateful for the life I do have and thankful that I have received the blessings that I have along the way.

But certainly never grateful enough,

Thanks again.
Berry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:12 am

Wow I am sorry about your losses. Never would have known from your positive attitude. I don't say this lightly but you truly are an inspiration. My whiny butt could certainly learn a thing or two about gratitude from you.

Thanks for being a such a continual positive force on this board!

Linda &#128149;&#128149;

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Just catching up on your check in. What an awesome doctor's visit! Also, I couldn't agree more with Linda.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:07 pm

Thank you ladies. I only mentioned a brief part of my life story in response to oolala's "golden" comment.

Each of us has a lifetime of stories that shape our journey along the way.

And, as Thoreau said better than I ever could,
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Friday weigh in 148, I have been fluctuating between 146 and 148 and that is fine as 147 is about my perfect summer weight. Don't have to do any tugging or pulling or adjusting or anything at that weight. 145 is even better, of course.

Still eating my massive salads and anxiously awaiting the local Amish garden stands and farmer's markets. Loving my exercise - having added more strength training this year (I do it along with my hubby) has really helped with my arms. Also doing a lot of yardwork which I truly love.

To your health all,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Hello All !

This week's weigh in - 147. Not having any trouble with the weight even though I have eaten whatever I want, whenever I want - seems like there have been a LOT of celebrations lately :shock: However, I think what offsets it is the fact that I do Intermittent Fasting on M, Tu and Wed - just happened accidentally when I was really busy at work for a couple of weeks (those are the days I work). So, now I am just in the habit of not eating from about 7 at night on Sun until 7 on Mon same on Tues and Wed - works out fine, I drink a lot of coffee (morning) water, green etc, etc. throughout the day and am so busy I don't think about eating. Of course, I have a good, balanced meal (okay, huge salad) at night. With lots of extra protein and fruit.

I was never really a breakfast eater so it is only lunch that I am skipping. We are well stocked with health food at work along with 30 g protein bars and drink, should the desire arise.

Now, when I am no longer working, I doubt I could do this as I do tend to eat - pick at food - more when I am home all day.

I like to think that my body is enjoying a little break each week from all that digesting food :D

To your health, all.
Berry

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:54 pm

So you go have one meal a day at 7pm on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays? is that right?

How do you feel about eating breakfast? and lunch on Thursday?

There's a lot going round about IF at the moment - I'm interested in people's different experiences/methods of doing this.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi - Yes, after Sunday dinner - I don't eat until Mon at 7, Tuesday at 7, Wednesday at 7, don't eat breakfast on Thursdays as I go out that day with friends and we usually eat an early lunch, if I am going out on Fridays (usually with the hubby), neither of us eat breakfast.

I really am not a breakfast person, more a brunch person on a Saturday when we have biscuits and gravy or an omelet or homemade muffins or coffeecake - or something. During the week it would be maybe just a grapefruit or protein drink , if anything.

I do have options at work, lots of healthy foods (my boss is ranked 20th in the WORLD in her weight class in Cross Fit so we don't have any junk around the office. ) Should I want something, it is there - but so far I have felt great eating this way. I think, as a society, we eat way too much in general.

Barring medical conditions, I think IF makes sense for a lot of people - gives their bodies a chance to "work" processing all the stuff we manage to shove in it.

Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:40 pm

I've incorporate some modified days of what you do but won't go into details. I can see it working for some, esp. because it sounds like it just fits.

Your boss is 20th in the world? That's intense. And what a coincidence you work in that office. It probably wouldn't motivate me because it's so outlandish.

You are doing great, though you don't need me to tell you.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:31 am

Thanks, oolala, the whole CrossFit thing is a mystery to me. She will - now and then - print out the standings in her age group (she will be 50 this year) and show me her rankings. I don't even know what she does but she looks AMAZING when she changes from her fancy lawyer suits with the four inch heels into her workout clothes. She doesn't work out in our town as she needs a specialized gym. She and her college aged daughter workout together in a bigger town. I really should go and watch them sometime.

My son is very active at his gym but says CrossFit is a cult :D
It might very well be, she travels all over for competitions. I tell her she needs to enter the American Ninja Warrior contest!

I stick to walking, some strength training with weights and bands, lots of time on the exercise bike, stepper and the glider to wind down.

That's enough for this 67 year old.
:roll:

I am 6,943rd in my age group - county wide. :P
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:42 am

Congrats on your standing in the county.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:05 am

Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:19 am

Just noticed I said weight class above, I meant age class. Thought I would correct it here rather than edit. :oops:

Wonder if there are weight classes for Cross Fit?

Anybody know? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Anybody too young to get that reference, well, you're too young :lol:
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Happy Friday Friends -

This week's weigh in - 145. Went to the plastic surgeon again yesterday and had my mole removed, eight shots to deaden the spot :x

Haven't seen the "wound" yet but will shortly when I take off my bandage to cleanse it and change the bandage, stitches out next Thursday. No big deal, I am sure - probably a lot of tiny stitches as it is in a visible spot on my chest but they feel that even if it malignant, it would be basal cell not melanoma. He says he cut deep enough to insure he got it all. That's good.

Spent the day out with hubby yesterday (14 hours) and the day out with friends today (10 hours). Think I will hang around the farm tomorrow and admire my tulips - red, yellow and red and yellow striped. Set among two huge patches (on either side of the front porch) of blooming purple ground phlox. Just beautiful.

Wishing you all well,
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:47 am

Glad your surgery and days out and about went well. Enjoy the farm.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:49 pm

Thank you very much, oolala :)
Berry