Story snacks - chocolate cake

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jackn

Story snacks - chocolate cake

Post by jackn » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:57 am

This rich, moist chocolate cake, called moelleux au chocolat in France where I live, I've long found delicious.

I also suspected why it was so appealing - butter!

But today I took a closer look at the list of ingredients.
Cocoa makes up 20% of the cake.
The first ingredient listed, though, the one making up the largest portion of the concoction, that is, is... you guessed it, butter.

I still like it too well, but feel even more guilty than I used to.
Not in the way of watching my figure and all that, as, generally speaking, I've been good about having it as a meal, rather than on top of a meal. And I'm fine with that.

But I generally avoid industrial dairy and meat, as the animals are subject to well-known suffering/torture, and, on top of it, we end up eating Dr Strangelove food, what with the grain-feeding, the antibiotics and the general misery of the animals.

I'd gladly have one moelleux from time to time if it came from organic farming, but haven't been able to find any.

That's my little issue.
I mainly post it as a snack story, though, as an example of one of the endless ways the machine makes poison attractive.

Enjoy the weekend.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:16 am

I love butter too - even though I try to eat a mainly plant-based diet! Every now and then I will eat Shortbread (butter, sugar, flour) or just crave butter on hot toast! I limit it to S days at least - which is better than nothing.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

anra

Post by anra » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:59 am

oh my ... nothing beats a slice of bread with butter and honey; i prefer this with hot tea at breakfast (sometimes ... on s-days 8) ).

and i know from personal experience that industrial butter makes my skin break out and organic butter doesn't. i suspect that all the hormones and medicine those poor dairy industry cows get are to blame.
simplicity is the purest form of elegance.

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:51 pm

Yes, Anra, and let's not forget two other things:
1. The ill-treatment, as in crowdedness, no outdoors and everything I don't know about, which means when having industrial animal food, one is eating sick animals; and
2. The feeding on cereal, as in soy and corn, rather than the natural herb feed, which means a different creature, as laboratory tests of body composition, notably the makeup of fats, shows.

Interesting to hear different people's takes.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:43 pm

There is a steak house in in Eastern Idaho that serves a celebrated Guinness chocolate cake. That will have to be an S Day adventure.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Hey Over.

Was wondering whether the Guinness stood for the beer or for World records...

Found out (http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1875 ... nness-cake) it was the former.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:36 am

I eat butter and feel no guilt. I drive past 2 dairies on my way to work and often see the cows grazing in the paddocks or queuing for the dairy. Not all cows are kept in sheds and are overcrowded.

I also know that the milk taken from cows that are sick (or are on antibiotics) is not sold (locals use it to rear potty cows).

I own the local agricultural supply shop so I know all about it. Australian dairy products are mainly paddock grown (grain and vitamin supplemented). My only issue is the waste of the male calves. There isn't really a veal market here.

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Lots of info, Bullisaba.
Good to know about free cows.

I also have butter guilt-free, but that's at home, when I can enjoy the butter I get at the weekend organic farmers' market.
What can I do at a main stream supermarket, where the cake I fancy is made with industrial butter.

I'm surprised that you're saying "I also know that the milk taken from cows that are sick (or are on antibiotics) is not sold (locals use it to rear potty cows)."

What I meant by 'sick' creatures in my original post was that they were all sick, in the sense of the terrible conditions they live in.
And don't such crowded and confined animals also produce milk?!

One hears lots of good about Australian cows, but, be that as it may, there's still the rest of the world to contend with.

I go on having the cake while shedding crocodile tears.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:00 am

I understood what you meant about the 'sick' creatures jackn. My comment about withholding milk from sick cows was in reply to anra who was concerned about medicines and hormones.

Red

Post by Red » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi jackn - the world is slowly waking up to these facts.

My husband works for a food company that boasts about how it treats its animals. I wouldn't normally have believed it, but I've seen it with my own eyes, they are so well cared for - and I'm proud to have him work for them. The fight goes on!!!

On other topics - not knowing French - I looked up your cake - and realized I know it well, having made it on many occasions for company and special guests. It's always a crowd pleasing dessert!!!

I would save it for weekends now... and don't mind it - mostly because it is SOOOO delicious, and so much better than anything store-bought.

Do you serve it with anything? Where I live, there's a lot of berries - so we often serve it with macerated blackberries or raspberries along with a nice cream. :lol:
"...skid into heaven broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” " Thank you Hunter!

jackn

Post by jackn » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Wow, Red, how interesting.

Not caught up here yet, companies worrying about animal living conditions and boasting about it. But everything American ends up getting to France a few years later.
Or is it an organic food company, in which case we have our own, which at least measure up to some regulatory standards?!

As to the cake.
I don't 'serve' it, if by that you mean serve other people. It's a solitary pleasure of mine. I guess I don't often eat with others, and this I've never shared.
Anyway.
I have it with einkorn bread, a bread I like a lot and only have as a treat, as I tend to overeat bread.
I'll sometimes add a carrot in, just to force me to chew properly and slow me down.
The bread-cake may strike some as odd in principle, as in wheat and wheat, but, actually, the cake is so butter-rich that it works well. In any case, I don't overthink it, it's what I like.
The cake alone would disappear too rapidly and would be too much of a pure cream-sugar experience, which I'd find less appealing taste-wise.

Could you provide a link to your recipe?
I've made a similar cake at home more than once. They were quite good, but nothing like the buttery goodness of that store-bought cake.

A pleasure to share.
Thanx, Red.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Red

Post by Red » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Well, if we're chatting about the same thing...(?)... after some reading... there's a wide variety of recipes for what can be considered a butter/chocolate cake - with low quantities of flour.

What I was referring to was (I "THINK") sometimes made in US as "molten chocolate" cake. It's more of a souffle, with a molten interior. It's very low flour, and (depending upon how you make it) can be broken open to reveal a lovely ganache pouring out of the center, even while hot.

The more I look the more I'm thinking you're probably talking about something more common in the US known as a "pound" cake - where the flour/butter/sugar/egg quantities are all a single pound, with a little bit of salt or other flavorings thrown in for good taste. I'm seeing French recipes for something that looks like it's sliced into wedges and served with no toppings.

But to tell you the truth - I think I would need to see a picture of what you're thinking of. :) to be sure i'm correct. (Maybe put a website where it's showing a photo of one?)

I can PM you a recipe for the molten chocolate cake if you still would like?
"...skid into heaven broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” " Thank you Hunter!

jackn

Post by jackn » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:20 pm

This is lots of appreciated input, Red.

From my reading, the nomenclature isn't consistent here, either.
By name and description, the 'molten' business seems to be what the French call fondant, which, as you may know, literally means 'melting'. Yet, some cakes referred to as fondant do not feature a creamy, runny heart.

The one I get is indeed cut into wedges, has no melting heart, and is called moelleux.
Moelleux, though, can be had all over the place, but none holds a candle to the one I get at my favourite cafe.
I put it down to how much butter it has, as I said in original post.

Here's a recipe in French for what they call a 'real' fondant, yet it's got no melting heart: http://cuisine.journaldesfemmes.com/rec ... at-fondant
You'll see a picture there, though I don't know that it's informative.
I chose it after a cursory look around, as it has relatively little flour, lots of butter, and seems promising that way.

All this talk, Red, makes me want to give it a shot again.

Can I keep it in my fridge and only have it occasionally?
Can I avoid finding myself bingeing on it and promising myself that 'tomorrow' I'll be good again?

On this dark, pun intended, note, I need to turn in.
It's a pleasure chatting.

Will report if I actually recreate the cake at the cafe.
Come to think of it, however, the experience can't possibly measure up to the whole ritual at the cafe. After all, it's not just the dish.
Finally, if it remains elusive, won't it be a nice touch to add to the ritual?!
Last edited by jackn on Sat May 07, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Red

Post by Red » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:57 pm

I love it!!! I'm a "foodie" in the sense that I've ALWAYS loved very very good food... and it LOVES me... in solitary or with company...!!!

You do have my curiosity - a cake on a bread...!? Interesting!!!

Yes what you've shown me as Fondant - is called Fudge Cake, or a Fudge Torte here. It is REALLY very rich. Even with my sweet tooth - I can only eat one or two bites. Sometimes it is flavored with raspberries, or liquor.

I used to joke when someone else ate goodies like that, that I was gaining weight watching them. <sigh>

SO - Here's my take on it whether to make it or buy it - and keep in-house:

- I cannot refuse to eat it if it's in front of me. I know this now.
- I can most of the time refuse to eat it if it's ONLY one piece and is in the refrigerator - or generally out of sight.
- I can always refuse it if I only go get it once a week on my S days.

...but then again - that's me. You will have to determine what your limit is, and just accept it. I accept that I will only ever eat my favorite chocolates when I go to Nevada as that is where it is sold. When I go to Nevada, I will buy one or two pieces of chocolate, have some heavenly bliss - and then wait till the next time to eat it.

Yes, it can be ritual that's attractive. There's nothing wrong with that!! Just organize your rituals to be on the weekend!!

Have a GREAT evening!!

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon May 02, 2016 9:42 am

Hey, Red, somehow missed your response. so late response.
Red wrote: You do have my curiosity - a cake on a bread...!?
Not 'on', but with. For one thing, it's mainly sugar, butter and eggs, with little flour, so it's a bit like bread with chocolate.
For another, my latest recipe is flourless, so all the more so. Yes, I'm going to try to keep it at home.
Finally, as to bread and cake... I consider the whole thing a meal. I don't go by S-days, but S-meals. So, it's a treat meal. I need both the bread and the cake to feel full, and I do actually like the cake better with bread. It's too flimsy, sort of, on its own.

OK, got it, thanx - fudge cake. Easy.

Thank you so much for sharing about your observations on at-home or out.
I feel this principle of observing and recognizing limits is very helpful and a key to a good relationship, with food, self and world.

Mmmm... Nevada chocolate.
British Cadburry's used to be my devil-in-disguise, which I'd have only when popping across the Channel...

Your input was interesting, encouraging and helpful to me.

Will share, experience and new recipe, if it's something to write home about.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 pm

My favorite chocolate cake is the Godiva flavor at Cheesecake Factory! That really hits the spot...
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

Red

Post by Red » Tue May 03, 2016 7:31 pm

My favorite is usually anything within arm's reach. <sigh>

:shock: