putting a new handle on a sledgehammer?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
JWL

putting a new handle on a sledgehammer?

Post by JWL » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:33 pm

has anyone ever switched out a handle on a sledgehammer? I know they sell replacement handles.

My 16# sledge has a fiberglass handle which I hate. I'd really rather it had a wood handle, so I've been thinking about swapping it out. I think removing it would be a pain, as it looks like it's epoxied in or something. I'd probably have to drill it out or whatnot....

I could just order a new sledgehammer, I suppose.... but I'd rather just use what I have if possible...
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

david

Post by david » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:11 pm

If you have some sort of farm and home store (not big box) where you live I'll bet someone there can hook you up. Alternatively, find a blacksmith.

I'm curious about this too.

--david

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:11 pm

Hi James :)
I'd just try and trade it in, and deal with losing a few dollars if they will give you one with a wood handle, for a reduction in price..
Unless you have actually been hitting things with it, and scuffing it up, they might take it back in exchange..
I wouldn't bother with trying to remove the handle..
You need to protect your guitar playing fingers :)

Seeya!
(G)Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness