Self-Esteem Boost

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SpiritSong

Self-Esteem Boost

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Has anyone else experienced immediate "results" after starting the No S Diet in terms of a self-esteem boost? One day I was just overweight (and overeating), but the next day I was overweight and doing something about it. Go me!

Those of you who are familiar with Eating Less by Gillian Riley will recognize the concept. The fact that you are engaging in healthy behaviors makes you feel better about yourself which leads to more healthy behavior.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Yes, I would say this happened to me. No S made the food shame go away quickly which in turn made me feel much better about myself. Glad to hear you are experiencing the benefit!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:43 pm

Yes! I don't feel like a slob anymore , even though I haven't lost weight yet. I am loving being an urban ranger! The other day I was at a park with a nice nature trail and I was walking faster than usual and I felt so strong, so healthy. I could just feel my muscles toning and my heart getting stronger. It does feel good to know that I'm not the person who used to go through fast food and stop and get a king size candy and a large mtn dew and then have dinner two hours later. I don't want to go back to that life.

cedar

Post by cedar » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:04 am

Yes! I completely agree with this..achieving little wins each day makes me feel strong before any results are 'seen'.
Last edited by cedar on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merry

Re: Self-Esteem Boost

Post by Merry » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:04 am

SpiritSong wrote:Has anyone else experienced immediate "results" after starting the No S Diet in terms of a self-esteem boost? One day I was just overweight (and overeating), but the next day I was overweight and doing something about it. Go me!
Awesome!

For me, it was fairly soon--maybe a week or two later? I went to a gathering on an N day, and I knew they'd have treats. But I wanted my month to stay green, especially since it was my first month! They had brownies--and I love brownies! Usually I'd have several--who can stop at one? But I remember thinking...I can wait until S days for a treat. I've had brownies before. I actually enjoyed the smell and the memory of the flavor, but didn't feel deprived.

I felt like I was in charge, instead of the food. It was a whole new experience for me.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:26 am

Yes, I agree too; the feeling of self-empowerment, and 'control' over one's own behaviour around food, is a very good feeling!
:D
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:00 am

While I actually don't believe in making myself feel bad for ANY of my eating, I do find that no matter what I weigh, if I keep to my meals, when my head hits the pillow at night, I know I've been reasonable. I can't really ask for much more than that.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Yes! I have talked about this before but for me it was huge. When I started nos my self-esteem was at a low point. Once I started sticking to my 3 meals, I immediately began to feel better.

I learned I could go for hours without eating which meant I wasn't ruled by food anymore. I could clearly see I wasn't overeating anymore and I stopped beating myself up for my out of control behaviors. I was very much in control--yay! Also, by taking the time to make sure I had three regular, well-balanced meals a day, I was sending myself a message that I was worth caring for and that was huge for me.

I didn't really lose much weight till my second year of NoS but NoS is about so much more than weight loss. It's about healing your relationship with food. It's about taking care of yourself and handling food in a responsible, healthy way (not too much, not too little!).

So yes I agree with you and so happy to hear you're having a similar experience!

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:39 pm

Losing weight definitely gave me a high feeling, but maybe I'm unique that I can't break the depression feeling that I must skip sweets for a few days. So No S definitely gives me high-highs and low-lows.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:32 pm

It may just take longer. It also might be mistaken identity, meaning the feeling is paired with something else you don't even realize. Is it a worse feeling than the feeling of overdoing it and being at the effect of sugar?

Or you may have an unrealistic idea about what it should feel like to have a better relationship with sweets. But don't give up! It may be unknotting invisibly or you may be guided to easier freedom.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Joyday

Post by Joyday » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:00 am

Great points from everyone!

nettee

Post by nettee » Sun May 01, 2016 8:48 pm

Yes - it feels much better to be doing something about it. I extrapolate forwards and see myself as a slim and healthy person. The scales going down rather than up as well as knowing I am not secretly binging all the time feels amazing well before I can see a difference in my figure.
3 tasty meals a day and loving it