Does anyone else only drink water between meals?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

chomp0

Does anyone else only drink water between meals?

Post by chomp0 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:32 am

I'll drink whatever I want to with a meal, which is usually fruit juice, milk or hot chocolate. But when I'm thirsty at any other time I'll just get a glass of cold water. This way I'm not consuming too many liquid calories.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:19 am

Funny. I rarely drink any beverage, including water, with my meal. Maybe a few sips or more in hot weather. I no longer need to get any fuller than I do.

Sometimes a cafe au lait between meals. Yes to water and flavored waters. Not much else these days.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Dale

Post by Dale » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:24 pm

I try to avoid drinking too many liquid calories too, but there really aren't a lot of calories in coffee, tea or herbal tea, so I mostly drink those. The tap water where I love doesn't have a great taste.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:50 pm

I drink water at meals and in between. At breakfast I have a cup of tea with a dash of milk. I'm nursing, so rarely have any alcohol.

Milky tea or coffee (or roiboos) are my go-to drinks when I'm hungry and need something to tide me over to my next meal. Or if I am in a social situation and want to do something while others snack.

Juice, soda and hot chocolate I consider S drinks and I only have them on S days (if at all). I only really drink juice if I've squeezed it myself. I'm struggling to remember the last time I drank soda - it's something I associate with children's parties really.

I prefer not to think about these choices in terms of calories / kilojoules, as counting calories is part of what I came to No S to get away from.

losingforgood

Does anyone else drink water between meals?

Post by losingforgood » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:57 pm

I've been drinking water between meals for years. That's how I all but gave up soda. I carry a water bottle with me all day and refill it. I don't make it a rule to only drink water during meals, but that's often what happens. The only other drinks I'll have are milk, (sometimes) real fruit juice, coffee (in the mornings), herbal teas, and the occasional alcoholic beverage. I too, prefer my calories to mostly come from the food I eat. My coffee has Stevia or Truvia in it. I don't add sugar.
I Corinthians 10:13-14; "No temptation has ceased you except what is common to man..."

Saramelie

Post by Saramelie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:30 am

I am not a "drinker", never been. I dislike the taste of coffee and alcohol. I usually just drink water or milk, of the (very) occasional GingerAle. If it could be that easy for food now...!
It can be done, one plate at a time!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:09 am

Wow I guess I'm in he minority! Skinny mochas in the morning, sugar-free drinks in the afternoon and wine at night. My drinks definitely help me get through to the next meal and I really look forward to them. I do try to get keep their caloric intake minimal.

Bottom line--whatever works!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:50 am

I've been drinking a lot of tea lately, but do drink a fair amount of water too. I don't always drink something with a meal.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

anra

Post by anra » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:01 am

hello,

I HAVE to drink water between meals. if I don't get enough water throughout the day, i suffer the consequences the next day: waking up with dry itchy eyes, getting seriously bloated and ... well ... constipated :roll: ... and enough for me means 8 large glasses at least.

but other than that I only have black tea with breakfast and in the afternoon. i gave up coffee years ago.

i don't drink alcohol but on the weekends hubby and I will have some sugarfree almond hot chocolate in the evening. over this last winter, this has become a ritual for us, maybe in summer we'll switch to cold herbal tea or homemade lemonade.
simplicity is the purest form of elegance.

Sarah-lara

Post by Sarah-lara » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:06 pm

I drink caffeine-free tea, herbal tea, and decaf coffee as well as lots of water and sometimes a Zevia or Honest Fizz, which are both stevia/erythritol sweetened.

Some of the studies on diet drinks have theorized that the brain tastes something sweet (even low- or non-calorie drinks) and just asks for more and more. So, while stevia wasn't mentioned in any of those studies that I am aware of, I have in the past dropped those drinks for long periods at a time just in case those sodas backfired and made me hungrier. It didn't really make a difference to me. But if any of you are finding that sweet-tasting but low-calorie drinks don't actually tide you over to a meal, that may be something for you to try.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-h ... 98494.html

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:17 am

Interesting. Cold water makes me hungry! I've been known to drink gallons of hot tea, though, even during the hottest summers. In my case there's nothing like a nice steaming mug to stop hunger.

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:04 pm

I just read this article about drinking hot water--apparently it's a popular thing to do in China.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-chin ... story.html

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:35 am

minimizer wrote:I just read this article about drinking hot water--apparently it's a popular thing to do in China.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-chin ... story.html
I never knew! I drink hot water sometimes, but mainly in the winter. If I've already had 2 or 3 cups of decaf tea, I'll usually just drink water (or I'll alternate tea & hot water to save a cup of tea for later in the day). I like water pretty much any way it's served--hot, room temp, or cold.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Holocene

Post by Holocene » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:42 pm

I try to, but most days I have 1-2 small coffees with 1 tsp of sugar and a drop of milk.

If I'm aching for a snack I have a pint of water and it seems to tide me over till meal time and it's getting easier as time progresses.
deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:58 am

I put those squirts flavors in water. Either that or I have a Diet Coke.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:45 pm

i prefer water to most anything else.

Breakfast I"ll have the occasional coffee or latte (decaf).

Once in a while if we hit a subway or other restaurant, I'll have Dr. Pepper. (was totally addicted to it in high school!)

Or sometimes unsweet iced tea at lunch (caffeine makes it hard to sleep if I drink after lunch).

But water. all the time.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:37 am

I drink water, herbal tea or warm water with lemon juice between meals. Water at mealtimes. Wine on special occasions only, as alcohol affects my sleep. And hot chocolate (sometimes) on S days.

Selcazare

Post by Selcazare » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:12 pm

More days than not, it's plain tap water only. I have a black coffee in the morning and I'll do a LaCroix water every few days and lemon-ginger herbal tea if I need some flavor. I try to get in three quarts of plain water every day so I rarely have room for other things. I love sugar drinks but I can't moderate them; if I have one can of cola, I want five more.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri May 06, 2016 11:22 am

yes, during and between meals water only.... all my life...

a glass of soda drinks couple of times a months... during winter freshly squeezed orange juice first thing in the morning - extra boost to the immunie system agains flu and common cold...
i stopped drinking coffee around 6 years ago and somehow it helped with overall stress levels and my stomack is gratefull for it (it irritates my stomach)...

beer in the evenings on weekends... sometimes too much beer... :D

im trying to get me into drinking more herbal unsweetened teas...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:24 pm

Water made into Diet Coke.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:57 pm

:wink:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Sillymonkey29

Post by Sillymonkey29 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:11 pm

Before no s, I was a diet soda junkie. I'm trying now to make soda an s, because it makes me too hungry. Same for crystal light and other calorie free beverages I used to toss into my body.

I drink coffee with cream and sugar in the morning. Water in between. Occasional milk, decaf coffee or tea in between meals. I don't like fruit juice. I will have a glass of wine no more than twice a week.

wxwoman

Post by wxwoman » Mon May 09, 2016 5:40 pm

I drink black coffee in the morning, and a cup of black coffee at the beginning of my shift when I am working (nights) and otherwise water throughout the day, nothing else. I drink at least 64 oz of water every day.

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu May 12, 2016 4:52 am

minimizer wrote:I just read this article about drinking hot water--apparently it's a popular thing to do in China.
This is a discovery for me, and a nice tip to follow.
Whiel I drink room temperature water all the time, I drink very diltute coffee and tea very often, too, just for the warm liquid.
I'm all too aware of how they only make me drink more, frequent the bathroom and stain my teeth.
Apparently, it hasn't occurred to me, or haven't felt comfortable just going all the way to plain water.

Of course.

Thank you kindly, Minimizer.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu May 12, 2016 6:02 am

Well, I find hot water makes me actually gag! Cold water - I can only manage small glasses of water, usually when I'm really thirsty, and usually standing right by the tap! I've not developed a water-drinking habit (yet).

I start the day with coffee or tea, I have coffee mid-morning, again after lunch, tea or coffee mid-afternoon, hot chocolate at 9pm if I am at work. I don't put sugar in any of those. I use non-dairy milk when I can, but I use a low-fat creamer for my carry-to-work drinks as it's more convenient than carrying liquids - that has a small amount of sugar in it. I carry herb teas with me and sometimes manage to have that instead of tea/coffee!

I don't drink any sodas at all, nor milkshakes, or any other kind of 'fruit-juice drink' type things.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu May 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Deleted, thread error.
Last edited by jackn on Sat May 14, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Joyday

Post by Joyday » Sat May 14, 2016 11:38 am

Yes, I drink only water between meals.