50 lbs. down and feeling great

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

1984man

50 lbs. down and feeling great

Post by 1984man » Thu May 12, 2016 10:22 pm

First, the numbers:

Since January 2016: -20 lbs.
Since February 2015: -30 lbs.
Since February 2011: -50 lbs.

My backstory, from last March, is here: https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10435

In short, I'm a 31-year-old guy, 5'11", and I've been doing No S on and off for several years. I recommitted on February 18, 2015, weighing 243 lbs. Over the next six months, I lost 25 lbs., but then I crapped out for the last three months of 2015 and gained back 15 lbs. I re-recommitted on January 1, 2016, weighing 233.6 lbs.

This morning I weighed 210.8 lbs., which puts my BMI at a non-obese 29.4. It also means I'm down 52.7 lbs. -- exactly 20% -- from my all-time high of 263.5 lbs. I credit all this to No S.

I feel fantastic, and not just physically. No S has completely changed my relationship to food. I actually enjoy it now. I don't worry about it anymore. I don't spend every day feeling guilty and ashamed about how much I'm eating. I feel liberated, at peace. I know I'm doing the right thing, and it's not that hard. No S feels like a "cheat code" for weight loss -- it's so simple, so natural, so humane, and so effective. I want to tell everyone about it.

A few things I've learned:

* I do best when I'm not obsessing about long-term goals but just focusing on good habits day by day and appreciating the present. Sure, I'd love to be sub-200, or sub-189 (HS wrestling weight), or sub-179 ("normal" BMI), but I can only control my habits, and I can be happy now.

* Beware hubris. Even long-established habits can crumble under complacency. I started going off the rails during an early-October family trip, and didn't get back on track until after the holidays.

* I've found it helpful to eat a relatively small (for me) breakfast and lunch so I can share a hearty dinner with my family and still maintain a caloric deficit.

* I enjoy S-days most when they're basically like N-days plus a special dessert in the evening. But that knowledge isn't always enough to prevent S-Days Gone Wild. I don't beat myself up about these, but I do try to remember the bloated, sluggish feeling for next time.

A few more details about my habits:

INTELLIGENT DIETARY DEFAULTS
Breakfast: 2 scoops whey protein powder (240 cal, 48 g protein), blended with water and ice
Lunch: 4 oz carrots (~50 cal), large apple (~100 cal), 1/2 whole-grain PB&J (~260 cal)
Dinner: moderate to large plate of whatever the family is eating
Coffee: usually 1-3 cups (black, no sugar) on N-days
Alcohol: sometimes 1-2 beers/day, sometimes stretches of little or none

EXERCISE
14 Minutes of ANYTHING: Shovelglove, two-at-a-time stair-climbing, 7-minute workout app, etc. every N-day morning
Urban Ranger: at least 10,000 steps every N-day

TRACKING
HabitCal: Was useful motivation for a few weeks while (re-)establishing habits.
Weigh-ins: My practice varies, but I enjoy the data of daily weigh-ins.
MyFitnessPal: I know it's No S heresy, but every now and then I scrupulously count calories for a few weeks to help calibrate my intuitions and appetite.

Anyway, I hope some of this is helpful to someone. If you have any questions, let me know.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 13, 2016 5:35 pm

Wow, very impressive numbers!

You have now officially joined the "I've lost more than Reinhard on the No S Diet" club.

So great to see such continued success over several years, that even with some "on and off", you've always managed to catch yourself and the net result is far more on than off.

Thanks for all the details regarding dietary defaults, exercise, and psychological observations -- and don't worry, I forgive you your "heresy." :-) For what it's worth, as an occasional data-gathering exercise as you're doing it, I will even concede that it might not be entirely counterproductive.

Reinhard

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri May 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Good on you 1984man! It's an impressive amount to lose but I'm more impressed by (and focusing on myself) you focusing on habits rather than weight loss, as it's really the only thing we can control.

All the best on your continued journey with No S!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:27 am

Very impressive, esp. that you're accomplishing the trifecta of eating, walking and 14xanything.

I love that it seems you see that if you keep to the habits, when your head hits the pillow at night, you know you can rest easy no matter what you weigh. (Honestly, I think you should be able to no matter what, but it makes it easier not to feel too full and sorry.)

Hey, if you want to count calories, knock yourself out! You don't have to apologize. I have occasionally let knowledge of calories help me make a few eating decisions. It's not forbidden, except to never let it be a reason to want to jettison the whole thing.

I've done some perusing of slim/traditional culture practices and it's pretty common that they have only one major meal a day. The other two are rather simple productions. So your instincts are pretty good with that.

I was going to say something else essential but I got distracted for a few hours helping out a friend who is moving. I'll add it if I think of it later.

So glad for you!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Re: 50 lbs. down and feeling great

Post by Merry » Sat May 14, 2016 6:10 am

1984man wrote: I feel fantastic, and not just physically. No S has completely changed my relationship to food. I actually enjoy it now. I don't worry about it anymore. I don't spend every day feeling guilty and ashamed about how much I'm eating. I feel liberated, at peace. I know I'm doing the right thing, and it's not that hard. No S feels like a "cheat code" for weight loss -- it's so simple, so natural, so humane, and so effective. I want to tell everyone about it.
Yes, love this!

1984man wrote: A few things I've learned:

* I do best when I'm not obsessing about long-term goals but just focusing on good habits day by day and appreciating the present. Sure, I'd love to be sub-200, or sub-189 (HS wrestling weight), or sub-179 ("normal" BMI), but I can only control my habits, and I can be happy now.
and this! Daily habits are so important, and I love hearing long-time no-s-ers continue to come back to that thought. Thanks!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:14 am

Impressive, 1984 man! Congrats on your success!

knitapeace

Post by knitapeace » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Never heard the word "humane" used to describe a diet plan...torture, maybe...LOL! This was an inspiring story and as a newbie I'll remember your words of wisdom when things get tough. Thank you!