Will I lose weight following the No S Diet?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mariposa1127

Will I lose weight following the No S Diet?

Post by Mariposa1127 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:42 am

Hi

Due to health concerns my doctor has made it clear to me that I need to at least lose 45 pounds. If I follow the No S Diet faithfully will I lose weight? I have heard this program is great for encouraging healthy habits and while that is important to me. I need weight loss for health reasons.

On a totally different subject...

I was invited to a buffet resturant today and it was super crowded and it made me feel like a cow. Just come up to the feeding trough and get your fill. I just don't think food should be treated that way. The whole experience was disgusting. I observed people who were morbidly obese including myself and it made me so sad. How we treat our bodies and food so disrespectfully. People were bumping into each other for a piece of chicken. There was every food imaginable yet I felt like a cow instead of a human being. It was a wake up call to me. How I can be so disrespectful towards myself and eat in such a way and its acceptable. I have never felt this way before something clicked today and I was disgusted with myself and what I was associating with.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:44 am

I think many of us have been there at some point--where something suddenly clicks and we say, "I don't want to go on like this."

People definitely do lose weight on NoS. It may not be fast weight loss--but for me it's certainly better than other ways I've lost weight (because I've always gained back what I've lost and more). NoS helps me not only lose but change my habits for the better--for habits that can last. So far I'm down 13 lbs. since the end of November, but I don't generally feel deprived or like I'm on a diet--it seems like just eating in a more controlled way--a more respectable way, as you said.

Do you have the NoS book? I've found reading that through a few times was really helpful in getting my mind around how our cultural habits are so detrimental, and how to create better habits. If you read on the testimonies page, many people have shared about losing there too. I hope you can stick with it and benefit from it! I have about 50 more pounds to lose myself, but I know it will be so much better for my health. Hang in there!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:57 am

I like your description of the buffet, mariposa! My brother refers to the Golden Corral restaurant as the Golden Trough. Haha.

Red

Re: Will I lose weight following the No S Diet?

Post by Red » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Mariposa1127 wrote:... I have never felt this way before something clicked today ...
HI Mariposa1127 - I'm in the same boat, in fact - my doctor will likely be very unhappy that I'm not on some kind of starve-myself diet, I have over 100lbs to lose. But I've never been happier, and enjoyed food more without any kind of guilt. It's a 30 year first for me.

Your quote above, just rings with me in general - you're going to see more of these 'clicks' pop up out of the blue. Including scenarios where you used to do something normally - and now it JUST doesn't feel good. I had some cookies last weekend, and realized that I just didn't like them any more. They used to be something I gorged on. ...but 'click'.... then 'ugh'. Amazing.

About your weight loss... the first key (which nearly EVERY diet out there overlooks) is in changing your mind about food. You will learn about who you are, and what YOU want. After that you'll slowly be able to outsmart your body without struggle.

OK - yep, that is me (pretending to knowitall) after only 1 month. BUT - here's the thing - I've lost 4 lbs in the 6 weeks I've been doing NoS (guessing here - since I waver around 5lbs)... and it's the first downturn I've seen in years without agony of really awful starvation diets.

On average - I did have to fight the between-meal hungries, you learn to adjust your protien and healthy fats for that. I do have to fight the desire for sweets (my personal kryptonite) but those are quickly coming to light as emotional eating.

I agree with Merry - go get the book - it's worth it!!! You can do this!!!

:D
"...skid into heaven broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” " Thank you Hunter!

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:31 pm

I wanted to make sure I lost weight. I choose 2.5 lbs a month as my goal. I would eat three meals a day and if on the weekend/holiday/etc I was at that goal I could have one dessert........if not, I couldn't.

I also do not go to buffets, they are disgusting and I eat to much "adequate" food. I can't help myself once I am there.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:58 am

Mariposa, what did you decide?

There is actually no guarantee that any one individual will lose weight on No S, if the truth is told. It will depend on whether the principles get you to eat less than you need so that your body draws on its reserves. But if you stick to it fiercely and don't get caught up in wild S-days just because you theoretically can eat freely, which for your purposes should probably get a mod early on, since it's a medical issue, it's likely you will lose. Also because it's a medical issue, you might want to pay more attention to what goes on your plate. No S can't defy the laws of chemistry and physics. Aim for as good of quality of food as soon as you can. It sounded like you were ready for some serious changes.

L'chaim!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue May 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Will you lose weight? Well that depends... No S is good for controlling bingeing but weight loss is slow for most.

If you're like me and eat a ton of desserts and snacks, then cutting out all those calories means automatic weight loss. How fast it comes off depends on how much extra are you consuming?

If you're bingeing a whole lot, then going back to normal with No S, then weight loss seems to be faster. If you're just snacking a little extra here and there, then weight loss will be slower.

When people lose weight the healthy way it's usually 1 lb a week.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

JJJPK

Post by JJJPK » Tue May 24, 2016 12:40 am

Well, in my experience, YES! Since being on No S, I've lost four pounds...YAY! But that being said I have made a considerable amount of diet changes too. If you want to know what works for me I have plain Greek yogurt (0% fat) with some kind of fruit for breakfast, a kale salad with a meat and lots of veggies for lunch, and whatever my family serves (in moderation) for dinner. I keep S days light (fruit smoothies, nuts, cheese, KIND bars) and have BIG treats (ice cream, cookies, candies, cupcakes) on very special occasions.

Good Luck! :mrgreen:
Na Razie!
Na Razie!
JJJPK

Rikki

Post by Rikki » Tue May 24, 2016 7:09 am

I lost nearly 20kg and been maintaining for a while by having 3 proper meals a day and saving treats for weekends/special occasions. As long as you are eating less than you were before you started, and aren't being an idiot on s days by sticking to the "sometimes" principle, you WILL lose weight. How fast or slow you lose weight will depend on your food choices, exercise, your age, etc. One thing this diet does is force you to feel more responsible of your food choices, once you realise this diet will only help you if you apply common sense to the food you eat. Find the foods that make you feel best when you eat them, and eat less of the foods that make you feel gross. For example I enjoy eating oatmeal, fruit, eggs and meat/fish as all are delicious and filling, but salty foods and too much pasta make me bloated so I have them less often. Get to know your body :) I hope this makes sense, best of luck to feeling better!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:46 pm

It has been my experience that I need to accept hunger and desire. I actually relish being hungry. I don't especially like the desire, but I accept it, and usually feel better waiting for my meals even if it means feeling a little antsy for awhile (that to me is desire, not hunger.) Not everyone has my experience; some have an easier time. I think ones who don't may give up, but I doubt many are happy with that or find something easier. I just know I don't want to live the life of consistent overeating I did before No S whether I'm thin or not.

I'm on another non N S site with a small group of maintainers, almost all of whom use calorie counting and have for years. Most of them are intent on rather low weights. I don't know of any of them who say they never feel hungry. All of them feel it's totally worth it and are very happy they finally surrendered to the lifestyle it takes to maintain. Most of them didn't get to that point until middle age or later.

I also know of at least one person (also not No S) who used a combination of low carb and intermittent fasting to lose about 100 lbs. But she still has to exert effort. She sometimes feels hunger and gets drawn by carbs and overeats them. Apparently, the effort is worth it, as she has basically maintained for a few years and has no intention of giving up.

I bring up these others because no one can promise you that you will not feel hunger or that you will absolutely lose weight on just about any eating program. They can tell you only what their experience is and what the experience of others is. You will have your own experience. To some degree, how unhappy you are with your eating is even more important than how unhappy you are with your weight. If you don't feel that you overeat and aren't somewhat unhappy with that, it will be very hard to accept any regime that asks you to eat less.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue May 30, 2017 4:43 am

loisemichel23 wrote: how do folks lose the weight without being hungry? I've tried increasing veggies but I never actually feel satiated no matter how much vegetables I eat. Or is the reality simply, if you want to lose weight, you have to accept feeling hungry.
I'm definitely not hungry all day long, and rarely uncomfortably hungry. But I think you also have to define what hunger is. It's not that "I'm used to having snacks whenever I want and now it bugs me that I can't" feeling. (I still get that feeling every once in awhile, but not as much as I did at first--it definitely calms down.) I might feel real hunger an hour or so before a meal, but it just makes the meal taste better.

What I've found instead is that while I might feel that kind of hunger, I also get a new feeling--I get to enjoy not being stuffed and uncomfortable after meals because I'm not eating as much.

You may need to help yourself get used to eating 3 meals a day though, and how much to eat at each meal, in order to transition. I suspect that simply increasing veggies isn't going to do it, and that you probably need more protein or fat to help your meals last longer, or perhaps slightly larger meals until you are used to the habit.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation