Imogen's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:18 am

Nice to see you again! Yes, the structure really does make eating a lot happier, and less stressful.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Not surprised at all, Imogen. It's a complete myth that ad libitum eating (hope I'm using that correctly) works out well for the majority of humans. I challenge the IE community to find a whole culture that does it without health fallout. It's good only for the exceptions and those with little access to food. The body is MADE to thrive on periods of much less food and nice gaps between meals when it can tap into its reserves, plus occasional overages. It actually thrives on having a reason to burn up its stored sugar and get at those fats and actually seems happier when it happens in fits and starts rather than daily deficits. Something between real feast and famine.

Welcome to your next phase of moderation.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:21 pm

I hatehatehatehatehate random, mindless eating. Ugh. Even if it doesn't make me gain weight, I still hate it. Snacking is EVIL. Nothing tastes good. Nothing satisfies. Nothing feels special.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:42 am

Well, that should make no snacking easy... :lol:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:09 am

No kidding! Hope it sticks with me this time.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:12 pm

Day 1 :mrgreen: though not perfect. My dinner plate was way too big (2 chicken wraps), and I had a large cup of hot cocoa (just a little sweet) in the evening. Still progress, compared to my recent eating habits. I just know it's gonna be extra hard this time... but I can do hard things, I've proven that before.
Last edited by Imogen Morley on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JJJPK

Post by JJJPK » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:50 pm

Hi Imogen Morley! I'm new to the sight, but it's great to see that this diet keeps people coming back! It must be worth its salt! I agree with you, mindless eating is the WORST! I can put away an entire can of Stax in one sitting and still want more. And then the guilt is unreal. And your April 4th post was so true! Food is not our life! And maybe I'm not supposed to say this but I will anyway. I'm religious and I don't want to be worshiping food. (I don't think that'll offend anyone too much!) I think to a certain extent we all feel that way. Good luck on your return to the diet! Hope it treats you better than it's been treating me of late lolz. :P

Na Razie!
Na Razie!
JJJPK

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:09 am

You can do this Imogen. What's helped me in in the past is simply remembering that while NoS might not be perfect, it's more perfect than any other eating plan out there. Sometimes I'll reach for non-plated food and then think oh what's the point, I'm just going to end up coming back to NoS so I might as well just stick with it.

Also, it's great if you can do NoS perfectly and I think It's more rewarding but even when I don't do it perfectly, it's still a whole heck of a lot better than when I'm just going free for all. it's one of those aim for the stars and reach the moon kind of things I think.

Anyway, glad to have you back!

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:24 am

JJ - love your insight about worshipping food. I have problems with emotional eating, and their root is, I believe, partly spiritual. We emotional eaters tend to deify food, expect it to smooth the rough edges of our days, comfort us, carry us through life. Not the healthiest option I know.
Linda - after 6 years on and off NoS I think it's an all-encompassing spiritual exercise that leads us towards accepting life's imperfections, rather than just simply a way to manage our food intake. Peace with food and our bodies is also found along this road. It's INCREDIBLY hard to stick to what's good enough, but a little imperfect.
As a self-confessed agnostic I've written a lot about spirituality in one post :lol:

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Imogen Morley wrote:We emotional eaters tend to deify food, expect it to smooth the rough edges of our days, comfort us, carry us through life.
To which I'm no stranger, Imogen, and Linda has also touched upon it in her thread.

But.
Is it that healthy eating, or eating as done by those who have a sane relationship with food, never involves emotional drives?

Perhaps it's perfectly natural to eat not only for hunger, but for emotional reasons, too.
After all, eating is such a pleasure, so easy and so frequent - a perfect reward.
And other satisfying pastimes are commonly seen as meeting emotional needs rather than 'objective' ones. Shopping therapy comes to mind.
And, to some people, stress and distress will lead to not eating, also an emotional eating practice, except a less costly, and less visible, one.

So the difference between sane eating and self-damaging overeating may lie in extent and management, rather than in the absence of emotional eating.

How about entertaining the possibility that it's perfectly OK to have a treat because I'm sad, as long as I have a way of managing the extent and the frequency of such emotional treats?

What do you think?
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Absolutely agreed. No S lets me put some boundaries around my emotional eating. I second whatever this guy says:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pavel-som ... 11100.html (more coping per calorie, I love this phrase)

Day 2 :mrgreen: though I put A LOT on my dinner plate (no edges showing!). Had a coffee date with a friend, drank only Earl Grey - I adore the stuff - while he enjoyed a huge slab of dacquoise cake, which I really like. Wedding preparations stress me off, work stresses me off, life is so rushed and frantic right now. Twice the reason to stick to NoS!

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:27 am

Sorry, Imogen. Eh... whose wedding?
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:50 am

Didn't I mention somewhere that I'm getting married soon? *frantically re-reading my posts*

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:46 am

Wow.

Best wishes.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Thanks a lot :) Even though we plan to have a very small, private civil ceremony, there's still much to be done.
DAY 3 :oops: one snack while making dinner. Didn't morph into a WTH episode, so I'm kinda okay with it. Not proud, but OK. I need to work on strictness, and respecting plate boundaries (no food on the rim, please).
I already have something special in mind for Saturday: chocolate semolina pudding with cherries, my ultimate comfort food. May have some ice cream, too, and I'm in charge of making a cake for the usual family dinner on Sunday.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:38 am

All sounds delicious, Imogen.

Congrats on your approaching nuptials. For some reason when I read "civil" ceremony, for a second I thought you meant you were determined not to get in a fight during the ceremony. Hehehehe

I'm all for saving money on the wedding and spending outrageously on a get-away sometime after. ;)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:54 am

I can't remember if his told us now either (I'm getting old) but big congratulations! Weddings are my favorite thing. So exciting but yes stressful during the planning phase. Hang in there!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks for all good wishes. We're pretty much keeping the wedding secret (especially from my coworkers), but there is no need to keep silent about it here.
Day 4 :mrgreen: Fridays are HARD. And Tuesdays. Mentally, my weekends start when I leave work on Friday afternoon, so evenings at home usually mean struggling with insatiable cravings. Hey, it's already weekend, why not have some of this or that? But I successfully white-knuckled it this time. Meals were very moderate, too.
Last edited by Imogen Morley on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Nice one Imogen. I agree..Fridays are hard..there is a different vibe to other nights for sure. I white knuckled through last night too..proud of myself when I woke up this morning that's for sure!
Enjoy your S days x

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:37 pm

Best wishes for your upcoming wedding! When I got stressy I comforted myself that all you need is the celebrant, the paperwork and your partner - anything else is gravy :-)

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:08 am

Thanks again, guys :)
Saturday weigh-in: 54.2 kg. Will update later to share how my S-day went.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:40 pm

Day 5 :wink: S-day!
Day 6 :wink: S-day!

I managed to avoid out-of-control eating, but still ate way more than usual: two types of cake, some biscuits, larger portions at dinner, I also had some ice tea, which I never drink on N-days. I'm trying to get calorie counts out my head.
Last edited by Imogen Morley on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:23 pm

I want to congratulate you not only on the upcoming wedding but also on not sounding like you are trying to get into some teeny wedding dress! Nearly always backfires. Weight gain afterwards and long term mourning over not looking like that anymore. Bah!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:37 pm

Oh, oolala, if only that was true (well, the dress part)! I'd lie if I said I didn't care about weight loss - 2 kg down would be great. After my first week on habit I have to say that the hardest part this time is avoiding calorie counting. I'm afraid I'll be losing the same 1.5 kg over and over again, weekend to weekend, as I used to during my first phase of vanilla NoS several years ago.

Day 7 :mrgreen: 3 moderate, yummy meals. Feeling a bit bummed, though (above).

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:35 am

Thanks so much for stopping by my check-in, Imogen. Your encouragement is very helpful!
Best wishes for all the planning and preparations for your upcoming wedding!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:41 am

Just remembering that, that you don't want to repeat that experience, may be able to subtly (or not so subtly) influence you to make some changes to the basic pattern easier, things that previously seemed like too much of a sacrifice. They're almost always preceded by an "inside job."
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:30 am

It's hard to let go of wanting to be thinner but it is possible to make it less important to you. It used to be the thing I wanted most. Now it's probably 20th or so on the list. Just comes with age and having kids etc. I think but it'll happen.

How's the wedding plans going?

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:30 am

Day 8 :oops: I had dessert after dinner: one Danish pastry and two crepes with homemade strawberry jam. I had very specific craving for pastries, and gave in.
Day 9 ? doing my best to make it green as grass

oolala, I know that patience is the key here, however, I'm somewhat lacking in this department... but always trying to improve. I don't think I'm going to give up daily weighing, though. Day-to-day fluctuations don't freak me out anymore, and the whole process is quite informative.
Linda, it's funny. Just today I had a nightmare about forgetting my ID card and postponing the ceremony. Yuck!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:56 am

Total disaster...
My willpower is the strongest at the very beginning of the week, takes a nosedive on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, white-knuckles it through Thursdays, and then suffers spectacular failure on Fridays. Weekends, obviously, are excessive, because I need to cram in as much sweet and salty stuff as I can before Monday famine comes *sigh* I find following No S EXTREMELY difficult this time. Daily workload and personal issues are probably the major factors here. Tuesdays and Wednesdays tend to be rushed, and on Friday evenings I would like nothing more than to just lay down with a book and some baklava. I don't have time to relax these days, so eating has become a quick way to decompress. Does it really help? No. But you know the tune.
My willpower muscle seems to be in atrophy.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi Imogen! I have exactly 0 time to pop in the forms these days although I want to, and had a minute this morning ( as I write this my two-year-old is waking up..sigh). Anyways I wanted to say a big congratulations on the wedding, and also to say to my "No S twin" I totally get it, I am feeling the exact same way and I wholeheartedly feel for you! I haven't even had a chance to pop around to my own thread but hope to do so soon. Take care

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi Imogen and Sinnie! :)

I'm pretty new here, but couldn't help noticing your similar struggles with my past attempts to implement NoS "as is." I remember feeling like I had to cram everything in during the weekend also, knowing that the weekly restriction time was coming up.

A few months ago, a came up with a very effective "three meal" mod that enabled me to finally lose all the fat weight that had eluded me on previous diet attempts. Essentially, I eat three meals, seven days a week, with no restrictions on snacks or sweets within those meals. Knowing that a treat was as close as the next meal made keeping the amounts reasonable much easier, and best of all, it worked! Feel free to peruse my previous posts or ask any questions on how I implemented the mod--I'll be happy to help! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:26 am

Hello lifeisablessing! In fact I used to do a very similar mod, I think I called it three plates of anything and I also did a mod where I had one dessert after dinner. It did work for a while and for some reason I veered off track. Given that recently nothing has been working for me whether that is calorie counting, or no s, i'll definitely give this a try. I'm not sure why your specific plan has resonated, but today's the first day I didn't binge following it. So a big thank you :-)

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks for stopping by!

Sinnie, glad to see you here! I miss the times when we exchanged gazillion PMs :) As usual, we're on the same page.

LifeisaBlessing, your mod sounds great - very humane, very reasonable. I did something similar in the past, and it worked for some time. There's this idea stuck in my head that vanilla No S is superior to any mods, but in my case, the best results were always achieved when rules were modified a little bit.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:01 pm

Sinnie - You're very welcome! :)

Imogen and Sinnie - I responded to your questions over in my check in thread, so just wanted to give you a heads up! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:34 am

Friday: I started with "3 meals a day, no snacks, no seconds, anything allowed on the plate" mod. Some previous experiences on that are recorded in my posts from early years. We had a special event in the evening. I didn't go nuts, and only sampled the dishes which looked particularly yummy.
Saturday: another special event today - a multicourse dinner with extended family. I don't want to put any restrictions on special events like birthdays, parties and so on, so I'll just go with the flow.

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I appreciate this a lot. Right now, I am firmly "in the game" all the way, but I know that the time will come when I'm not there mentally, and things may well slip...it's good to have this to think about: it's come back able, and it's modifiable.

Good luck with Blessing's mod! seems like a sensible way to keep going.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Great job, Imogen! :) I'll be attending a graduation party later today. That will officially be my "dinner" meal, with a plate's worth selection of yummy foods. I'm looking forward to it! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:33 pm

Aaand I did it again - promised to post more, and abandoned my thread the next day. BUT I have a legitimate reason to focus on my off-line life at the moment: I'm almost 10 weeks into a high-risk pregnancy. So far I haven't experienced even a single episode of nausea, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the remaining two weeks of my first trimester.
I'm back to vanilla, and maintaining at 55 kg. My appetite seems to be somewhat diminished on most days, so I usually don't have problems with three meals, no snacks and no seconds. Sweets, however, are as big a problem as usual. I'm trying to get it under control by drinking lots of cold cocoa when cravings hit - with mixed success.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:12 pm

I noticed the silence but was waiting a bit. Congrats on the pregnancy! Sorry it's worrisome, but it sounds like most eating is moderate, so that's lucky, no?

If you are looking for guidance regarding sweets, I have a couple of ideas, but I know from my own experience that sharing my troubles doesn't mean I am ready to entertain new ideas. I usually have to stew awhile...

Enjoy every bite of your savory, delicious meals!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:39 am

Your input is ever appreciated, so please feel free to share.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:59 pm

A big congratulations to you on your pregnancy! What a wonderful blessing! :) Prayers for a healthy mom and baby--and get plenty of rest. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:03 pm

Thank you so much for all good wishes. I feel great and still haven't experienced any of the typical pregnancy ailments. I might be a little sleepier than usual, but that's it.
I think it's time to get back to protein/fat/veggie combos for breakfast, with just one slice of bread and no fruit. I've upped my carb intake in the last few months, and I have to wrestle with my appetite every day. Too much carbs in the morning has always been a bad idea for me. Back to basics then!

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope all goes well, sorry it's high-risk.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:23 pm

At the end of August we were close to losing our baby, and I had to spend two weeks in hospital. So thankful it's over now! Turns out we're having a girl.
It's been almost 20 weeks, and my weight gain so far is 2 kilos. I'm kinda worried about it, but then, all my friends keep telling me that women tend to put most weight in the last trimester.
I haven't been very consistent with NoS. There are days when I really need an extra snack, and days when I need three ;) The lack of structure is killing me. I've tried four smaller meals, but I hate the planning and hassle of it, and most of the time, I'm not even hungry for them. Adding an evening snack instead might be an option, but having just fruit or yogurt or handful of nuts is very unsatisfying. My brain needs meals! I'll think about adding something "snacky" to my dinner when I reach week 25.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Oh gosh so scary imogen! I don't think I'd worry about sticking to nos right now esp if you need to be trying to gain weight. Lotsa wholesome hearty meals with healthy snacks in between I imagine!

Congrats on the girl! I have two and they're a lot of fun not to mention they have cuter clothes!

I hope everything continues to go well. Take good care of yourself.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:02 am

Thanks for stopping by! I had hoped for a boy (being a hopeless tomboy myself, I usually prefer the company of men), but I'm excited now. Raising girls is so challenging, but I hope it will be rewarding in the end. I want her to become an awesome, strong, happy young lady, and I think various everyday systems are going to be very useful here.
I keep on doing vanilla, with mixed success, but unending optimism. My S days are definitely excessive in terms of calories and amounts, but not terrible. Snacking has lost much of its appeal during the last two months - probably because I get uncomfortably full so quickly. I've kept my meals the usual size, and in spite of that, I'm gaining weight by the book, so I'm not going to change anything (yet?). Wondering if I could continue with plain vanilla right until my girl is born... not because I fear gaining weight, but because I feel so much better, mentally and physically, with my food habits in place.

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:10 am

So glad you and baby are okay!
Respect Moderation

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:05 pm

also glad to hear you and the baby are doing fine!
and i think that noS is a perfectly good framework for eating through pregnancy, too...
:)
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:24 am

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm glad your baby is okay!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:14 pm

For about two weeks I've been struggling with markedly increased appetite for sweets, and as my oral glucose test is fast approaching, I'd rather avoid going overboard with sugar. So naturally, I've started reading about "nutrition" lately. Grrrr! It always makes my head spin.
The conclusion, however, is clear: NoS FTW.
Say, you eat big, high-protein breakfast every day, because it makes you feel fuller for longer than, for example, pancakes. You are careful with saturated fat, because it blocks the absorption of glucose, and makes you eat more. Or maybe you avoid snacking on sweets to keep your blood sugar levels steady. Or don't keep chocolate at home. Fine. But if it comes to feeding oneself, what influences your decision-making process is a very complex interplay of many different factors. There's no silver bullet. You may be ahead of the game in one square only to get beaten in the next. You're doing great with your diet until afternoon, because you ate a giant plate of satiety-promoting eggs, but in the evening boredom kicks in, and you reach for sweets in a desperate attempt to squeeze some dopamine out of your neurons. Because food cues - biological, psychological, cultural - are everywhere. And they're incredibly powerful.
Habit is the only answer.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Wow I love this post! It really sums up a lot of the problems with trying to eat a perfectly nutritious diet. Besides they keep changing what a healthy diet is anyway so it's impossible to know what the facts are.

I like Ellyn Satters view of hedging your bets by eating a wide variety of foods. She also notes that our eating is just one of many factors contributing to our overall health.

Anyway good to see you here & hope you're feeling well!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Linda, variety is definitely the key to staying healthy, and my grandmother, past her 90 birthday, is a shining example of this principle. Every single foodstuff eaten in excess, even spinach, can have its side effects. And statistically, when you eat a wide variety of products, there's no chance to overeat any of them. You dilute the poison, so to speak. Am I making sense here? My brain's fried today.
I'm sitting on the fence regarding mods at this point. I even had to post on the general forum. I feel absolutely horrible now. Why is everybody pushing food at me? It's so tiresome, and giving in certainly doesn't feel like fun! Today was another red day. I'll record my meals here starting tomorrow, and get back to HabitCal, with yellow days being "near misses".

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:25 pm

:mrgreen:

B: 2 egg omelette with spinach and mozzarella, slice of wholewheat bread, small bowl of Greek yogurt with strawberries and sugar
L: wholewheat sandwich with butter, lettuce, 3 slices of sheep milk cheese, small apple, cup of cocoa with sugar (half milk, half water)
D: 2 wholewheat slices with 4 fishfingers, lettuce, ketchup, pear

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:31 pm

:mrgreen:

B: 4 fishfingers with ketchup, 1 slice wholewheat bread, small bowl of Greek yogurt with homemade raspberry preserves
L: 2 egg omelette with spinach and mozzarella, 1 small white roll, banana
D: 1 small white roll with butter and 2 slices sheep milk cheese, tangerine, big handful of cashew nuts, cup of cocoa

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:50 pm

:D S-day!

B: 2 frankfurters, half large tomato, 2 slices ww bread, large pear, marzipan bar (planned and much craved treat)
L: 200 g beans in tomato sauce, small apple, 2 slices ww bread
2 Bajadera pralines (just wanted sth sweet)
Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts ( I just wanted to pass some time until my special dessert appears)
half of my special homemade pudding with cherry syrup (been dreaming about it the whole week!)
D: mozzarella and tomato panini on white bread, 2 tangerines

Not so bad compared to my usual Saturdays. Satisfying specific cravings carried over from the week works wonders to limit permasnacking.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:29 pm

:D S-day!

B: cottage cheese with chives, 2 slices wwb/butter, banana, 1/4 pudding with cherry syrup
2 small pieces of homemade cake
L: beans in tomato sauce, 1 slice wwb

tbc

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Whew. It's been such a long week, also food-wise. I fell off the wagon BIG TIME, and was too ashamed to post my daily fails here. I finally gave in, shouted "what the hell, I'm pregnant after all!" and started shoving my mouth with all kinds of treats. I was horrified when I stepped on my scale on Friday morning, but surprisingly, my weight is still hovering somewhere near the bottom limit - 61 kg. Still, I really pigged out this weekend.
What went wrong?
- Variety was my downfall. Having too many types of treats at home always ends badly.
- On Saturday I baked a cake according to a new recipe, and it was a disaster. I was SO disappointed, I had really craved something doughy and sweet! On Sunday I tried to ignore this feeling, and ended up eating sweets I never wanted in the first place. Finally, I baked oatmeal muffins in the evening, and only then I felt satisfied at last. This has been one of the biggest discoveries I ever had on NoS: if you don't really want it but eat it anyway, you're soon going to start rummaging the cupboards to find something else. Because you didn't want that particular thing in the first place, you're never going to get any satisfaction from it. And without the happiness hit you'd expected, disappointment will soon kick in, making you eat everything in sight to find some goddamn satisfaction at last. You'll keep eating in the hope that this next treat is the one that gives you what you were looking for. So, no more white-knuckling it on weekends! If I want something special, I'm going to have it, period.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:33 am

I so agree about the importance of satisfaction. I really have to make sure those S day treats hit the spot or I spend the day overeating on lesser quality stuff.

Good luck getting back on track this week!

Linda

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:17 pm

I sure do have some extra motivation for this week, Linda!
Monday was uneventful and :mrgreen: Tuesdays are always super hard for me, so we'll see how that goes today.
I've decided to get back to my old mod - having three desserts a week, after Fri, Sat, Sun dinner, in order to put the brakes on my excessive sugar consumption. The last trimester might not be the best time to stuff myself silly with too much cake. My health is one thing, but the stakes are higher this time.
My Dad's birthday falls on Sunday, so there's going to be a big, multi-course family dinner at my parents' house, followed by at least two types of dessert. Looking forward to it!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:07 pm

3 WEEKS since my last post? Where has the time gone?
I'm busy with baby preparations and part-time job I can do at home. I've had many fails over the last weeks (this time, snacking), but my weight gain is still slow, steady, and under control. I'm staying at the lower range of GWG guidelines, and happy about it. I do eat more at my meals, though - probably just out of habit or "because I can". Weekends are excessive, but not idiotic.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:17 pm

I had to spend some time in hospital (just to check if everything was truly OK with the baby), and finish all preparations, including a minor flat makeover, earlier than I'd thought. I really, really, soulfully regret not having more time to post or read your ever-inspiring check in threads. Funny enough, I think I'll be able to do it on more regular basis once my girl is born :lol: Silly me!
Anyway, I continue with vanilla NoS with great results - I've gained about 11 kg so far (and have only 3-4 weeks to go!), don't have any digestive problems, feel great and have tons of energy. The baby is measuring small, but since almost everyone in my family, including men, is petite, the OB certainly doesn't think I should modify my eating habits, and is very satisfied with how things are going right now. I'd love to post a testimonial once my postpartum weight stabilises, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend NoS to all pregnant ladies.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:19 am

Yay so glad you're doing okay. Very exciting that your so close to your due date!

Keep us up to date whenever you can.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:57 pm

I'm glad you're doing okay. Yes, keep us posted, when you can.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:56 pm

My c-section has been scheduled for Tuesday. Morning weigh-in showed 68,4 kg, which means I have gained 12,4 kg during my whole pregnancy. Not so bad, given that I was either on bedrest or confined to our small apartment most of the time. I have quite a lot of little failures under my belt, though I suppose they could fit "S-ick day" category better. Surprisingly, my S-days have really calmed down! I make sure my indulgences are well-thought-out and perfectly fit my cravings, and that's usually enough to go to bed satisfied but not stuffed. Still, I think the real test for NoS will surely be the postpartum period, with all its stress and sleep deprivation.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:28 pm

wow, imogen, im impressed with your success!!
i wish you and your baby all the best for the delivery and looking forward to hearing from you when you can!!!
:)

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks a lot! I'd love to become more active here in the upcoming months.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:42 am

Yay so exciting! Both my babies were C-sections. Recovery was pretty quick. You'll do great & soon you'll have your sweet baby in your arms. &#128150;

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:05 am

I'm so impressed too! I'd be very happy with that progress, and I wouldn't sweat having some red days at all--chalk it up to pregnancy hormones and move on. You did a great job eating sensibly overall, and that's the goal. I hope all goes well with the birth--congratulations! Enjoy your precious little one!
Respect Moderation

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:30 pm

Awww, thank you all for your good wishes and support!

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:57 am

Just wanted to wish you all the best! You'll do so great and I hope you enjoy every minute of it. Like Linda, I'm also a c-section mama for both pregnancies. No problems at all, I was running down the halls to see my twins in special care days later despite unrelated medical issues that crept up! First time around, I was up and atem the next day, having a small party in the hospital room when my friends came to visit. Such great memories having my babies, if it was feasible I'd have another in a heart beat. Very excited for you.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:39 pm

TADAAAM! My baby girl is already 2 weeks old. Of course she's the cutest little thing, with adorable double chin and head full of hair.
I've been flirting with vanilla NoS for these past two weeks, with mixed results. I'm all about schedules and routines, so naturally, adjusting to the new situation has proved to be quite a challenge. I'm not sure if three meals a day will work for me in the long run.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:46 pm

oooooh, imogen, congratulations!!!!! :)

such wonderful news of you and your little baby girl!!

adjusting to a new baby is indeed quite a change!
i wish you all the best! :)

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks a lot, kaalii!

:wink: S-day today ("Fat Thursday")
I got sick from all the doughnuts and other sweets. Funny enough, I don't even like doughnuts! It's hard to skip them, though, when everyone around you is either eating one after the other or bringing you some. Cultural pressure to participate in collective overeating is difficult to withstand. Oh well.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:03 pm

:mrgreen: Friday
We're having guests over this weekend, so I expect lots of yummy food at social events we'll be attending with them.
Current weigh-in: 62.2 kg/137 lbs (gulp!). I think half of my pregnancy weight gain (totalling 12 kg/25 lbs) was actually fat... My baby was tiny, and in the past two weeks I've lost only 6 kg/12 lbs. Lots still to go.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:47 pm

I was the same way after babies, with one even the amount he weighed didn't disappear, WTH?!?! It took me 4 months to really see progress & after my first I relaxed & enjoyed the first few months with my next 2 & tried not to worry about my prepregnancy clothes & I was so much happier & enjoyed my life so much more spending that time focused on the important things like the adorable baby &#128522; With my second 2 kids I bought clothes that I felt great in until the baby weight came off. I think feeling good about myself in slightly bigger clothes actually helped me find motivation to lose the weight & it was fun to see those bigger clothes move to a shelf for after the next baby.

Congratulations on your new little!!!! It's a lot of work, but a once in a lifetime experience so enjoy it as much as you can around the exhaustion &#129315;

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks for your input, Jen. I'm definitely going to get some nice clothes in my current size as soon as I can! Also, focusing on my other physical assets - rather than the size of my hips - helps a lot. Not to mention my wonderfully supportive and accepting husband!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:09 am

Thanks for the supportive comments on my thread.

Clothes that fit always make me feel better. Your husband sounds terrific!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Oh yes, I was so fortunate to marry my best friend!
Lots of regrets about last weekend, jeans uncomfortably tight. But I managed to get over an hour of walking in nature, and white-knuckled it through Monday, so :mrgreen:
Tuesdays are always super difficult, so I'm giving myself permission to pile my plates as high as I need to in order to stave off munchies and stay on track tomorrow. I also planned to prepare some of my favourites dishes.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Life is SO much better being married to your best friend!! I'm lucky to be married to mine too (:

Not sure if you are nursing but holy cow I was hungry when I did. More hungry than pregnant!! Making sure to increase my fat intake helped me (:

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:42 pm

We bottle feed. Sometimes we fight over who's gonna take the next turn! P just loves cuddling and feeding her.
Tuesday was :mrgreen: but it was TOUGH. Wednesday hasn't been much better either. Sleep deprivation makes me ravenously hungry, especially for sugar/caffeine mix. I have to keep reminding myself that's just an excuse to eat sweets or overload my plates. Nobody said I have to give in. Sure, my willpower muscle is weaker, and waiting for the next meal is extra challenging. But I managed to get through two days without chocolate (even though we do have some in the house), I can do it for the rest of the week.
I'm kinda worried about Saturday weigh-in. Fuller plates will certainly halt my progress, and I want to see the results NOW.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Wednesday was :mrgreen: but on Thursday I gave up :oops: I ate half of the chocolate we had at home (it was heavenly, though - peanut butter and caramel filling!), then helped myself to some cake I'd baked for Friday guests.
Things to consider:
- my coffee and milky teas got more indulgent in the recent weeks, oops
- I need to stick to fixed mealtimes. If I plan dinner for 6 PM, 6 PM it is. Pushing meals earlier is just another excuse to eat when waiting becomes too frustrating to bear.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:34 am

Hi Imogen, I stopped by to see how things are going for you?

Did you get your mealtimes set? I have thought about doing the same, but what I've been doing instead is waiting in the mornings until I'm really hungry, then making myself wait a minimum four hours before the next meal. I can often go past that, but other days I am ready to eat when the four hours is gone. It would make more sense probably to have set times. That way we'd possibly train our bodies to be ready to eat on a schedule.

Hope all is going great for you!
No S Restart 05/22/19

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks for stopping by! Actually, I'm not doing very well at the moment. Sleep deprivation and hunger it causes are extremely difficult to cope with. I'm desperate for my sugar fix, and, well, I've been eating a lot of sugar recently.
I have to admit I was completely unprepared for postpartum body changes. My newly acquired squishy bits disgust me, 95% of my wardrobe doesn't fit, I feel lethargic, heavy, lazy, fat. I'm not even sure my baby girl is a fair trade-off for all this.
I tried calorie counting for a week, and guess what? The scale didn't budge AT ALL. No weight loss. Zero. How is that even possible? What about the laws of physics and thermodynamics? I was able to lose a lot of weight in the past by counting calories, with immediate and measurable results, so I'm a big believer in "calories in, calories out" theory (with some caveats), and I know it works when you're 100% honest with yourself. It's just not sustainable in the long term. So I'm torn between trying calorie counting for a bit longer and possibly combining it with NoS, like I did once.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:14 pm

I'm so sorry you're having a bad time with the postpartum. It's been years since I've had a baby, but I sure know how you're feeling. Trust me, your baby girl is worth every bit of your body changes. It sounds like you're also having some postpartum blues. Been there, too, and just want you to know it does get better. You may want to talk to your doctor about how you're feeling, so you can get some help with the temporary depression, and it is temporary. It's sure not fun going through, though. I was too naive back in they day to realize it for what it was. Therefore, I didn't ask for help with it, so suffered through it. So, know that help for postpartum blues is available.

As for stalled weight loss, you may want to slap me for saying, but it's probably water weight. I believe I read that someone else here is combining tracking calories along with No S. That is a good option if you feel you need to count calories, and do so as long as you feel it's needed. Others that have been here longer will probably have better advice than I can offer, but I've almost fallen back into calorie counting myself and thought about guesstimating my daily calories from time to time. May do that yet.

I hope you feel much better soon. Just please stay with No S, even if you do combine with calorie tracking. I think this way of eating is a way to peace with food, and I think that's what we're all looking for by coming here.

Enjoy your baby girl, and please let me know how things are going for you! I promise you will feel better soon! :)
No S Restart 05/22/19

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:57 pm

I feels awful to no longer be pregnant but still not anywhere near your prepregnant size!! I didn't lose weight ever until my babies were 4 months old. With my first I was worried that I would be unable to lose the baby weight because like you I could usually lose it if I tried, but it didn't matter how much I tried. It would not come off!! And it was so much harder to try to lose weight when I was sleep deprived & so much hungrier looking for a little extra energy. I promise it won't always be like this!! I'm sorry you're having a hard time!!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Whew, thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I tried on all my clothes when N slept, separated them into three piles (toss, keep, keep for later perhaps), and promised to take myself shopping at the end of the month. I did manage to put on some of my pre-pregnancy clothes, and it was a great reminder that size is just a number on a tag, insignificant. Some clothes will flatter me and some won't, no matter their size, which differs from brand to brand.
I realize I might have sounded shallow and whiny by saying that I wasn't sure my daughter was worth it all. I've been struggling with binge eating since I was 12, and weight and body image have always been extremely important to me, and I was willing to go to great lengths to keep my weight at some arbitrary number. I was very overweight once, and it wasn't fun. But hell, I'm still within "recommended weight" range! I'm not fat, I'm just... different than I was. As you can see, I'm already feeling more positive.
Jen, thanks for sharing your experience. You give me hope!

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:55 pm

I'm glad you're feeling better. No, I didn't think you sounded shallow at all. I hate what having babies did to my lower abdomen, too. Not so much anymore, but it really bothered me when I was younger, so I understand where you're coming from there! :)
No S Restart 05/22/19

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:24 pm

I actually ended up maintaining a lower weight after kids than before so I didn't feel the changes were permanent for the most part. A few extra stretch marks that faded over time where they aren't that noticeable. You'll get back to where you were (:

I had been mostly low fat before having kids but noticed that fat kept me full longer & craving sugar less. I grabbed quite a few Jr. Bacon Cheese burgers & small fries off the value menu at Wendy's :shock:

It wasn't the healthiest choice but it kept me full & not feeling deprived & gave me somewhere to go with a new baby each day (: I made a lot of egg & cheese sandwiches for breakfast too. Nothing that was at all "diety" but it helped me stay satisfied & lose the weight because it kept me from wanting to snack & graze while taking care of a new baby & not getting enough sleep. Oh & I had plenty of caffeine LOL (:

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Yes, I did notice that too! Whenever I'm skimping on food at mealtimes, sugar cravings tend to resurface. But of course, the temptation to eat "diety" portions in order to speed up weight loss is very strong. "Enough", however, require lots of experimentation. I think your stomach should be grumbling about an hour before your next meal - that's the sweet spot I've entirely forgotten about.
I have to accept the fact that I have zero willpower. If I have chocolate in the house, I'm going to polish it off in one sitting. It's true that avoiding temptation is easier than resisting it. So no sweets in the house before weekends.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 am

Trying to pull myself together again. Thursday was :mrgreen: Some leftovers looked particularly tempting when my stomach was grumbling in the evening, but I had half a glass of milk and took an early shower to keep myself busy. I'm getting reacquainted with slight hunger before meals. Drilling myself in (someone else's catchphrase) "that gently hollow feeling is subtly flattering". Reframing hunger this way fuels my determination to succeed. Another discovery: when I'm dressed in comfortable but pretty clothes that reflect my personality, I feel fabulous no matter how much I weigh or how big my hips are.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Friday :mrgreen:
S-aturday :wink: Morning weigh in: 61.5 kg/135.5 lbs. Fantastic, sane S-day. I kept repeating: if you don't really want it but eat it anyway, you're soon going to start rummaging the cupboards to find something else. Because you didn't want that particular thing in the first place, you're never going to get any satisfaction from it. And without the happiness hit you'd expected, disappointment will soon kick in, making you eat everything in sight to find some goddamn satisfaction at last. You'll keep eating in the hope that this next treat is the one that gives you what you were looking for. In result, I ate three moderate meals, snacked socially on a handful of crisps, and enjoyed some food at a party. No walking today, though. Overall, I'm very, very satisfied with the way things went. I know we're having pizza dinner tomorrow, but dessert is optional. Nothing sounds particularly tempting right now, so we'll see.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:28 pm

S-unday :wink: Another moderate S-day! I had seconds of pizza at dinner, 2 truffles, mini chocolate (about four small squares), ice cream bar, 1/3 bag of peanut puffs. No sweets after breakfast, 1 mile Leslie Sansone workout, 45 minute walk. Yay!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Yay! Great job imogen and you described exactly what happens to me when I eat something I didn't really enjoy. Good insight!

Have a great week!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 pm

You too!
Monday :mrgreen: I did some cardio moves while watching Hidden Figures when Nina was asleep, 40 minutes overall, plus 1 mile workout. No walk today, the weather has been too unstable and windy lately. Meals were both tasty and moderate, though I resorted to weighing my food - I'm terrible at eyeballing portions and prefer to stay on the safe side. I'm still stoked about the weekend, hope it gives me an extra kick to get through the week. Tuesdays are always the hardest, so we'll see.
It's so wonderful to be moving again! I've forgotten how much energy it gives me, not to mention positive influence on mood and productivity. Plus I'm not that sleepy when I exercise.
Catchphrase to keep WTH effect at bay: WTH effect is the best way to never give up a bad habit.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:03 pm

I feel terrible for abandoning the forum for so long. Nina is such a happy, no-fuss baby that I really have no excuse. Or wait, perhaps I do have one. I'm no longer doing NoS.
I've lost all the weight I wanted to by calorie counting, which means I have desserts pretty much every day. And it's not healthy. It's become a habit. So even though I'm very satisfied with my post-pregnancy body looking just as good as before, my health habits are all over the place. I know my body can tolerate sugar for a while and be fine. Things do go downhill after a time, but not that fast.
I've come to peace with the fact that if I want to keep my weight at some arbitrary number, I need to count calories forever. And I'm sort of fine with that. I've been doing it, on and off, for 7 years, so it's pretty much automatic - take a shower, brush your teeth, curl up with a book, tally up calories for the next day before you hit the sack... I've also accepted that as much as I love the concept of vanilla No S, it's never going to work for me long term. I don't want to binge every weekend. I think I've given the thought plenty of time - and attempts - since I joined the forum in 2010. Vanilla is not for me. I need to find some alternative. But random desserts are not the answer. So I guess I'm back to my three meals a day, three pre-scheduled desserts a week mod - the only one that really worked for an extended period.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:54 am

Hi Imogen,

good to see you back, and congratulations on your baby.

I've found No S a lot easier since I decided to stick to 3 meals on the weekends. If I want a treat, it has to be part of a meal.

Ladybird
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:33 am

Yeah, I've tried that too. And counted a whole box of pralines in one sitting as my after-dinner dessert. Or just binged right after meals.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 am

Welcome back, Imogen! :) And so glad to hear about your newest little one Nina! :)

Congratulations on your wonderful achievement of losing weight and reaching your body shaping goals! :) It's fantastic that you have made peace with counting calories as a sure way to maintain your weight. Caloric awareness on some level is a very important key to losing weight and maintaining your desired weight, so good on you for coming to this crucial realization without much kicking and screaming lol.

Your other observations on dessert, being healthy, non-vanilla NoS, and returning to your pre-planned scheduled dessert mod are all wise and very introspective on personalizing the plan to make it fit your life for what your goals are at the moment. I'm discovering as I journey with modified NoS in the maintenance phase how important flexibility is through all varying life circumstances, and the natural ebb and flow of emotions that come with them. Adapting the plan to fit your present goals is what will ensure your continued success! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Absolutely! Different strokes for different folks! Anoulie, for example, came to the same conclusion: that vanilla No S doesn't work for her and exacerbates the binging problem. Perhaps for us struggling with emotional eating or deprivation issues it's better to start with the basics and then build our own versions of NoS. I mean, I still absolutely, passionately hate how I feel when I snack, and love my three meals per day, but need more personalised rules to curb overeating on sugar. Random noshing and making decisions right in the moment has never been helpful. I need to work on some structure, and give myself plenty of time between desserts - two or three days - otherwise I just need more and more. I also know that sugar is for after dinner, not earlier in a day and not on empty stomach. But for you adding something sweet to your meals has worked like a charm! We're all different and unique, and so are our approaches to NoS. I am, however, very much against introducing mods before completing at least six months on vanilla.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:26 am

Hi imogen! I don't come on here anymore, but popped on randomly and saw your comment - just had to say I echo your sentiments exactly! Calorie counting, with all its downfalls, still far outweighs anything else for me to be successful. I tried no s here and there but couldn't make it through one day. I figured maybe at this particular point in my life I need to eat when I feel hungry rather than structured mealtimes because life is chaotic, mostly alone with a preschooler and two babies. That's okay. It keeps me happy, well fed, binge free and close to my happy weight. Do you mind me asking where you levelled off weight wise and at what number of calories? It was nice to hear an update from you as I always felt we were so much alike :)