4 years: what a difference!

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

GraceW

4 years: what a difference!

Post by GraceW » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:53 pm

Hey, everyone!

I don't check into this forum much anymore, but I consider that a testimonial to how natural No S is. I don't think about it much anymore! It's been interesting reading my old posts here and seeing what I struggled with in the past (a sweet tooth, tons of snacking, a workplace that encouraged even more snacking).

1.5 years ago, I made another, much bigger change in my diet because of medical reasons: I went to a 99% plant-based diet (I still eat fish maybe twice a month, but I no longer eat meat, eggs, or dairy). That change, combined with No S, are two habits I'm proud to have now. The surprising part: going plant-based was relatively easy, probably because, like No S, it's strict with clear boundaries. I also think No S was good practice for exercising those habit-building muscles.

I've maintained a 14 pound loss (11 of those pounds were from No S-ing alone) and am still slowly losing. I fell off the No S wagon 3 years ago at a highly stressful job assignment that had snacks practically everywhere, but I lost the 9 pounds I gained after I quit the job. I'm now at my high school weight, which is a comfortable weight for me. The best part: I never feel deprived. S days are now pretty much the same as N days, but *sometimes* a bit more indulgent, like a vegan cupcake after lunch. I never thought I'd get to this point, and if I hadn't read my old posts, I wouldn't have realized how far I've come.

Brian Wansink said that the best diet is the one you don't know you're on. SO true.

If you're struggling with No S, keep at it. It's SO worth it, not only for your body, but your peace of mind. The simple rules leave brain space for the more important things in your life. You may fail (I did, repeatedly), but it WILL become a habit if you keep trying!
Last edited by GraceW on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:57 am

Thank you for taking the time to post your testimonial. I'm 4 months into this and loving it!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:46 pm

Congratulations, GraceW!

I especially appreciate hearing from people like you who we almost miss hearing from -- because they are so successfully entrenched in good habits that it doesn't seem like a big deal to them anymore (love that Brian Wansink quote -- very true). Thank you for somehow getting past that and letting us know anyway!

Not having diet be a big deal anymore would be a huge deal to so many newbies on these boards. Seeing that that can actually happen is invaluable.

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:50 am

I'm glad to hear that you feel most of your weight was lost from No S-ing and not from the food restrictions. Of course they can make a difference and are everyone's choice, but the plan is so flexible!

Glad to hear it's pretty much second nature. And put a note on your calendar to keep us updated next year! thanks.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

pd3

congrats

Post by pd3 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:52 am

nice post. . . .

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks for posting! I'm in the process of going plant-based vegan too but I don't have clear boundaries yet. I like the idea of fish 2x/month because that's the main thing that I'm going to miss. I will have to come up with a plan.

Anyway congrats and glad you found something that works so well for you. (I agree--it's the best!)

Please check in now & then and let us know how you're doing!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Tonsha

Re: 4 years: what a difference!

Post by Tonsha » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:26 am

GraceW wrote:Brian Wansink said that the best diet is the one you don't know you're on. SO true.
That is just about the most amazing quote I've seen and I agree wholeheartedly!!

...so much so, I've decided to make it my signature.

DaveA :D :D
"The best diet is the one you don’t know you’re on" - Brian Wansink

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:39 pm

awesome! thanks!

that is exactly what im aiming for - almost forgetting im on noS... im guessing it will take me at least a couple of years to get there...

i have that as 20+ years vegetarian... and exercise/active lifestyle...

great to hear from people who got there with noS!!

thanks again! it is a huge encouragement... :)
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

YeagerMeister

Post by YeagerMeister » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:39 pm

This is super inspiring. 14 pounds is a LOT to keep off. Not that much to lose, but a lot to keep off considering that most people gain more weight after a diet than the weight that the diet makes them lose.