Francois Tremblay check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Francois Tremblay

Francois Tremblay check-in

Post by Francois Tremblay » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:10 am

Checking in, one hour before bed. To reward myself in starting No S Habit (I can't call it a diet, that's just horrible), I made my favourite meal, alfredo with chicken, and had one normal plate. Not only was it excellent, but now I have a bucket of leftovers! Talk about an advantage!

For dessert I had some fresh strawberries. For lunch I had a few bites of beef noodles.

I already have to walk two hours a day (or more) due to not having a car, so I am feeling confident about getting in shape. Also, going to bed so early will not only help feel better, but stop the late night cravings that I used to have.

Day 1 completed. I feel very good!
Francois Tremblay
Rabid atheist, Market Anarchist, seditious dog

Hellbound Alleee Show

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:23 am

You can't do better than that for a first day. You have already discovered the best parts of no S. Good meals, nothing forbidden, healthy exercise and wonderful weekends. There are no downs here if you are commited. Welcome.

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:49 pm

I was hoping to hit some kind of hunger today, so I would finally eat for an actual biological reason and not just for eating, but my wife and a friend really insisted that I eat something for lunch. I still want to feel some healthy hunger. Well, maybe it will come eventually.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Well, after the previously mentioned entreaties, I decided to have a couple of oat raisin cookies at around 2 (which I count as a delayed lunch). For dinner I had a plate of the leftovers (there's still some left!).

Day 2 completed, but somewhat disheartening due to my wife's lack of support. I'll try to put this behind me tomorrow.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:53 pm

Lunch was a chicken sandwich. Dinner, I made rice with ground beef. Didn't have the sauce I usually use, but it was good. Just realized I forgot to put any vegetables in it.

I had two bites of the leftovers while I was waiting for the rice to cook, to tide me over. Since it was so little, I don't count it as seconds- or will the veterans disagree with me on that one?

Today I had to bear more criticism of my No S Habit. I sure am glad this board exists! Without it, I would probably be disheartened by now. Apart from this criticism, I still feel very confident. Day 3 completed, as far as I'm concerned.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Nielsio

Post by Nielsio » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:58 am

Francois Tremblay wrote:Today I had to bear more criticism of my No S Habit.
Elaborate?

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:20 pm

People just have a knee-jerk reactions against the word "diet". I can't blame them.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:29 pm

I have not taken S-days this weekend because I don't do any walking on the weekend. I would feel crappy if I took license while I wasn't doing any work. I have made Monday and Tuesday my S-days instead.

Had a big lunch of the rest of the alfredo leftovers (they were getting too dry), so I had a smaller dinner of chicken and mashed potatoes. No dessert.

I'm still thinking about food and the No Ses, but at least I'm not disheartened any more. Day 4 completed. So far so good. I find that I am having little cravings but nothing too hard.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Nielsio

Post by Nielsio » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:17 am

Francois Tremblay wrote:People just have a knee-jerk reactions against the word "diet". I can't blame them.
Since when do you care what 'people' say.

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:48 am

Nielsio wrote:
Francois Tremblay wrote:People just have a knee-jerk reactions against the word "diet". I can't blame them.
Since when do you care what 'people' say.
That's a silly comment.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:35 pm

This was an S-day for me, but I still maintained the rules. I did have a thought of having seconds for lunch... for about five seconds.

I definitely count this as a success. Tomorrow I may have a chocolate chip cookie. We'll see.

Day 5 completed.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:03 pm

I find that I am eating from 2.5 to 3 times less food than I used to. This sure is going to save a lot of money when I get back on my feet.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:33 pm

Once again, I followed all the rules, but I couldn't let another S-day pass without some small transgression. So I had two chocolate chip cookies.

Day 6 completed. This is fun!
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:50 pm

Hi Francois :)
Good work..
Just wanted to mention that S's on S days, aren't transgressions at all..
They are really the "treat" you deserve for being good five days of the week :)

Glad you are having fun!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:56 pm

Sure. But it's funny how I don't even want sweets any more. I'm full, you know? Well, maybe I should have a little one before I go to bed. I'll think about it.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:27 pm

OH NO! I AM SADDENED TO REPORT ABJECT FAILURE!

But hey, what was I supposed to do when I was offered melted chocolate on strawberries and raspberries? Say no? Geeze, do you think I'm a man of steel or something? :lol:

Day 7 is NOT completed and will have to be retaken.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:16 am

Lunch was the rest of the rice. Dinner, had spaghetti with cheese. Hadn't had that for a long time. Day 7 completed, back on track!
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:34 am

Forgot to report yesterday, but day 8 and 9 have been successful. Happy to report that I have been experiencing some hunger as well.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:13 am

Good for you Francois :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:26 pm

I am soooo happy for you for experiencing hunger??? I'd like to loan or better yet give some of mine. I have been having lots of hunger lately but I think it is job related. Glad to hear you are doing so well.

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:31 am

Got up to day 13... yesterday was a failed though. I had about five tablespoons of ice cream. Don't really see the fault, but hey, the rule's the rule.

The rules are starting to come naturally now. I really like where this is going. I'm still having little cravings for chocolate though.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:37 am

save that craving for tomorrow and then enjoy with wild abandon. It's fun. Sounds like you are doing well.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:47 pm

Francois,

Glad things sound mostly good. An abject failure and a few tablespoons of ice cream here and there, but big picture, it sounds like you're getting into the groove of it and making progress.

Reinhard

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:57 pm

I must say I am definitely losing some weight. I can't put this wholly on NoS, because I started walking before this, but it had a good part in that.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:07 pm

The sweet smell of success. Congratulations!!

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:34 am

16 days now, not counting yesterday which was a failure. I'm afraid my sleeping patterns are being affected, and with them, my capacity to resist snacks.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:45 am

Do you think the diet is affecting your sleep patterns? Someone had a thread on that topic on the discussion board a while back. I think she found that fish oil before bed helped. I can't stand the taste of fish oil but it does come in capsules. I think she had hers with a very small glass of orange juice. She said it really helped. Lots of people jumped in with their ideas and suggestions. Some people felt that it had something to do with blood sugar. Some people felt it would pass with time.

Otherwise, it sounds like you are doing great. Hope you get over the sleep thing soonly.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi Francois :)

If you put your legs up on the wall or can get into the classic yoga pose "Shoulder Stand" a bit hard on the neck if you've never done it, during the day for a few minutes, that might help your sleep...
It's very good for calming the mind, and bringing fresh blood to the brain and thyroid..

Sue, there's actually a very great company for fish oil, incase you wanted to try a brand that tastes quite good... But it's a little pricy.. I still think it's worth it..

Check out www.nordicnaturals.com

They somehow use a strawberry flavor that covers up the fish taste..
So when you burp, it's not a fishy burp..

LOL..

Take care,
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:28 pm

Sorry about not checking in for a while. Due to my wild changes in schedule, I am having trouble keeping to No Snacking. Even though the transgressions are slight (two or three cookies, or some low fat ice cream), I'm going to have wait until I can continue.
Francois Tremblay

Hellbound Alleee Show