not losing weight

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

theresa_damen

not losing weight

Post by theresa_damen » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:56 pm

I'm on day 21. I've been loving the structure of nos. It has helped my relationship with food, I used to think about food all day. Now I am more relaxed about it and can wait for the next meal without running for the chips! However, I have not lost any weight, does it take awhile sometimes? I seem to have a stubborn metabolism.

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:46 pm

I know it's a little off putting to not see the effects of your hard work right away, but stick with it! If your weight is at least stable, then you've made a really big impact already.

You can try making small tweaks here and there. Maybe take a little bit less per plate and see how that goes for the next 3 weeks. Or drink a glass of water before you eat. For me the key is to make small incremental changes I can sustain for the rest of my life. Don't make it too hard on yourself and keep up the positive attitude!

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:30 pm

I did have a bigger loss when I first started, but I usually have a week or two per month where I don't lose (I'm averaging about 2 lbs. per month), and I had about a 6-week period late spring/early summer where I didn't lose anything.

I remind myself in the times that I don't lose that before No-S, I was consistently gaining--so maintaining IS progress.

I think I'd give it another month or two, and consider small tweaks. Make sure you are not doing a lot of extra S days or having red days. Think about whether your one-plate meals are about the same as your previous meal sizes--if so, it may take you some time to scale those back just a bit. If you tend to eat out a lot, that could play a role too.

I hope you start to lose soon!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:07 am

I bet you'll start to see some loss if you stick with it.
My metabolism has slowed way down in the past couple of years and I find that if I depart from NoS for a few weeks I gain quickly, and then lose slowly when I come back. I'm just not willing to torture myself with some diet where I feel hungry and miserable all the time, to get things to move faster.
If you don't see any change after another 21 days, maybe try slowly increasing the proportion of low calorie vegetables in your meals. That usually does it for me. That, and only taking 1 serving of my treats on S days.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

moonbat69

Post by moonbat69 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:32 pm

I believe that No S is a practice in looking at the big picture and not micromanaging based on numbers at the scale. It's about changing our habits back to what they were thousands of years before the "obesity epidemic" began.

It's about moving away from the an industry that makes us feel bad about ourselves if we don't lose enough weight and makes us go right into the loving arms of another industry that profits from comforting us when our self-esteem has been trashed.

Just make common-sense adjustments that you can handle and focus on the habit of practicing No S rather than they almighty number that has been held over our heads for 40 years.

Best wishes!
I don't DO No S. I PRACTICE No S.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:26 am

Hi Theresa!

I'm dealing with the same issue. I'm happy with NoS and seeing many positive benefits, but little to no weight loss so far. I've posted about my frustration on my daily check-in thread....https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10962

I don't have any particular words of wisdom right now, but others do and it can be very helpful to hear what they have to say. This board has many supportive and knowledgeable members. Good luck on your NoS journey!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Some great replies here. I'm just into my second year - still feel like a 'newbie'! and I would advise you to trust the system and focus on establishing the N day routine of three meals.

My weight has slowly gone down over the past year (it'll show up in my signature) - with no dramatic reduction in what I eat. What I have personally found, however, is that the amount I need/want to eat at each meal has got smaller quite naturally.

Keep going!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

HappyHiker

Post by HappyHiker » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:24 pm

Walking is absolutely critical for me to maintain my loss. Diet just isn't enough.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:31 pm

I guess it just depends. I was a binger, and continued with wild S days for quite awhile. I lost about 10lbs. in a couple of months, I think, had another perfect month after that, and have never had quite the consistency in practice or weight loss since then. But I stuck with it, eventually ate even less on about half my S days as N days, and some other changes and whittled off about 20% of my weight. It took a few years, but I didn't have any present health conditions. I was just so glad that bingeing was not the default anymore. (I sometimes wish I had had some condition, so I would have had a little incentive to get stricter sooner, for other reasons. I just couldn't make myself do it for weight loss alone.)

There are so many variables. I hope you give it a good try for a few months. I'm sure we've had a few people who get exasperated, leave, and go on to success with something else, but the odds are against that. I humbly suggest looking at the "Why did you leave? Why are you back thread?" for examples of people who feel they left prematurely and wish they had just stuck it out.

Enjoy every bite!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:01 pm

HappyHiker wrote:Walking is absolutely critical for me to maintain my loss. Diet just isn't enough.
Same here. Can't ignore either side of the coin.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:45 pm

When I first did NoS years ago, I quit a few months into it due to the fact that I wasn't losing weight. I came back to NoS about 5 years later and about 30 lbs heavier.

At that point I was so distraught over my inability to enjoy life. I thought about food/dieting constantly. I wanted to lose weight but even more than that I wanted sanity. I stuck with NoS and amazing things started to happen. I stopped obsessing about food. I stopped beating myself up because I could clearly see I wasn't overeating or at least not to the extent I was before (was a constant grazer b4).

I did this for a year with a minimal amount of weightloss. I was frustrated at times but still too happy with the other benefits of NoS to leave. I concluded that my body was just incapable of losing weight. I'm short, in my 40s and have dieted since I was 10 so it seemed likely that it just wasn't going to happen for me.

But slowly I was ready for changes. You have to feel ready otherwise it'll backfire on you. My plates of food became lighter & smaller, I began incooperating exercise into my life etc. Over the next several months I lost 40 lbs. So much for not able to lose weight.

Recently I've made another change. I've began really listening to my hunger & satiety cues and when I want to eat more than I'm hungry for I try to figure out what I really need. Food only fixes one problem--hunger, but there are many ways to nourish ourselves other than food.

Several more pounds have dropped off since I've been doing this, but again I was ready to do this. Everything just made sense for me and clicked. A couple years ago if I had tried this it would have felt like a diet and I would have rebelled against it.

NoS is a process and you have to be able to put the goal of weightloss aside for awhile. You have to focus on really getting the habits down first even if it means piled high plates (mine were) and maintained weight for several months. Once you have that down you can tweak things but more likely your plates will naturally get smaller/lighter and you may feel ready to add some exercise into your routine. Or if you exercise already maybe you'll feel up to adding more in.

You really can't take shortcuts here. Have patience and enjoy the other benefits. Ending the constant obsessing is no small feat. It's huge in fact so hang in there. Don't be like I did and leave only to gain more weight.

Best of luck!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:18 pm

Lots of great advice here, Theresa! Don't be afraid to play around with the amount of food during your meals to see if that would help with your weight loss. Also, I weigh myself every day to keep things on track (I'm at goal). The scale is a tool, so don't be afraid of it. Waiting too long to weigh yourself can backfire if you're going in the wrong direction or aren't progressing. Daily weigh-ins aren't very popular here, but they were the key to my success. YMMV! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

theresa_damen

Post by theresa_damen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks for all the great advise! I actually lost 2 pounds this week. I'm going to stick with it, because I feel good about not obsessing about food. Thank you!

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:40 pm

Great news! Keep it up. Thanks for the update
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:21 am

theresa_damen wrote:Thanks for all the great advise! I actually lost 2 pounds this week. I'm going to stick with it, because I feel good about not obsessing about food. Thank you!
Good for you!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:06 am

Not obsessing about eating is the real gift. But the two pounds is nice, too :)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)