Vivi_v's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vivi_v

Vivi_v's Daily Check-in

Post by vivi_v » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:26 am

First off I would just like to say that this is theeee most brilliant diet I have ever run across. EVEREVEREVER. And it's so stupid because it's so simple. It's almost like, duh, why didn't I just do this in the first place? Why on earth did I waste years of my youth messing around with Southbeach, Atkins, Zone, Weight Watchers and the like!? Gahhhhhhhh. I am sooo kicking myself right now.

So. Begin a new, and I always say that at the beginning on a new diet but this time I can say it with confidence because I can totally stick to this one. The simplicity practically kills me. I mean honestly, the way I ate today you wouldn't think I was "dieting". I didn't even feel like I was. But I adhered to the rules.. no snacking, no sweets, and no seconds. I still got to go out to dinner and have a tostada salad (which I only ate half of by the way). It was amazingggg. I even had a margarita! Gah! (Is that ok? haha.. I'll have to go back and check... I *think* it is though...)

Ok I'm done blathering. I'm not going to go off on a tangent and spill about my horrid past dieting experiences because I reallllllllly don't wanna think about it. Let's just say I've been through hell and back with my eating habits and I am DONE letting food and weight control my life. Amen.

DAY ONE = SUCCESS (i hope..)

Since I'm new at this I'll post what I ate.... tell me if I messed up anywhere...

Breakfast: shredded wheat cereal w/1/2 c. skim milk & 1 nectarine
Lunch: 1 serving wheat crackers w/peanut butter & vegan burrito & 1/2 c. pineapple & 1 sugar-free fudge pop (does this count!? it didn't have sugar!!!....)
Dinner: tostada salad with chicken and salsa vinegarette & 1 serving chips

Yes? No? I hope I did alright for the first day. If not, tomorrow will be better. Goodnight. :roll:
this. is. it.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:41 am

Hi vivi_v,

Welcome to No S - it is great isn't it - I pretty much feel the same as you, I know I can stick with this one forever, its simple and sensible.

Your meal choices seem fine to me.

Happy no S-ing

Kind regards Daisy

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:52 am

Hi Vivi V :)

Welcome and enjoy NoS!

You sound so relieved to find it, and believe me, it isn't something you will just want to "give up on" like all the others... It's challenging sometimes and it's slow, but it's livable and does indeed work.

Margheritas I would guess are borderline during the week, but I'm not sure..
I know beer and wine and straight booze are allowed.. I guess I'm wondering about whether the mixer is very sugar laden?

The sugar free fudgicle is okay so long as it's not a "snack" and you have it as part of your meal and "fits" on the plate...

In between meal eating is considered snacking...

Okay you are off and running!
Good luck and hope you have fun :)

Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

vivi_v

Post by vivi_v » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:40 pm

thanks for all the lovely welcomes! :)

grateful deb - after the fact i thought about it & the margarita was probably too sugary and is probably an S i should stay away from. newbie's mistake i guess. haha.

so day 2 is going all right.. i've already done a step class today & plan on doing a strength class later tonight. hurrraahhh.
this. is. it.

vivi_v

Post by vivi_v » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:32 pm

well day 2 = FAILURE. sadness. i was SOOO hungry at 4 p.m... that's my usual snacking time.... any tips to cut the hunger between lunch and dinner? i'm so used to having 4 meals a day. hellppp!!!
this. is. it.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:52 am

Welcome to No S. You will love it but don't expect to be perfect right off. I gave one thing up at a time originally. First, I gave up seconds for a week until that was easier. Then I gave up sugar. Then my morning snack. Then my afternoon and afterwork snacks (those two were really tough) and finally, the night snack. That one still bothers me quite a bit so I have a half glass of natural carrot juice just before bed to tide me over til morning. Maybe I will also eventually give that up too but for right now, it keeps me on track. So, all in all, it took me about 4 weeks to really do all 3 No S's. Since then, I have had weeks of roaring success and sometimes several days of discouraging failure but all in all, success. I have lost 8 pounds in 3 monthes, but I am maintaining it and not gaining. I also know I am here forever. It is sensible, easy and sane. Life is about a lot more than obsession with eating. Good luck and set achievable goals. Master a little at a time until it gets easier.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."