New Here!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

EPMama

New Here!

Post by EPMama » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Hello, all!

I just discovered No S, and it sounds like a great way to lose weight without going crazy. I gave birth to twin boys in March, and although I lost 40 pounds of my pregnancy weight almost immediately upon delivering, I've since gained back 15 pounds or so. I'm the heaviest I've ever been, and it's affecting me physically and emotionally. I'm afraid to restrict calories too much since I'm breastfeeding and was told by a dietician to NOT go below 2500 calories a day, or my milk supply would be compromised. But I figured I could reduce how many sweets I eat because I think that's where my weight problem is coming from. I have a seemingly insatiable sweet tooth. How long does it take to adjust to not eating as many sweets? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:10 pm

Congratulations on your twin boys! How wonderful!

Definitely at this point in time, preserving your milk supply is top priority. I think your idea to ease into things by dropping sweets first is a great idea. On No-S, you would only have sweets on days that start with S (ie, Saturday, Sunday) and "special" days (Birthdays, religious holidays, really special occasions--but if you have a lot in a month, you may want to try to limit special days to two per month and do some picking/choosing about how to observe--unless it's a really special occasion!)

So, try starting off by not having sweets except on S days. As far as how long it might take you to adjust--I think that will really vary. It was a couple of months before I felt I was used to that as a "rhythm of life" kind of thing. I do still really look forward to my treat days (and many of us plan a treat we might have on our next S day as a reward--it's fun! Those S days do get me through many weeks!)

See if your weight levels off just by addressing sweets, and then you can look at whether you are ready to add on other components of No-S, or if you want to wait a bit longer. All things considered, breast-feeding is a pretty short season for mom--it's okay if you decide you want to wait to really address weight/eating habits until after they are weaned. If you decide to add another component, maybe look at snacks next. Aim for 3 good, healthy meals, and maybe a 4th smaller meal (good quality protein, fruits/veggies) to help maintain your milk supply. I would just look at things slowly and gradually so you can see that your boys are getting enough and your supply doesn't dip.

Have fun with your precious babies!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

EPMama

Post by EPMama » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Merry wrote:Congratulations on your twin boys! How wonderful!

Definitely at this point in time, preserving your milk supply is top priority. I think your idea to ease into things by dropping sweets first is a great idea. On No-S, you would only have sweets on days that start with S (ie, Saturday, Sunday) and "special" days (Birthdays, religious holidays, really special occasions--but if you have a lot in a month, you may want to try to limit special days to two per month and do some picking/choosing about how to observe--unless it's a really special occasion!)

So, try starting off by not having sweets except on S days. As far as how long it might take you to adjust--I think that will really vary. It was a couple of months before I felt I was used to that as a "rhythm of life" kind of thing. I do still really look forward to my treat days (and many of us plan a treat we might have on our next S day as a reward--it's fun! Those S days do get me through many weeks!)

See if your weight levels off just by addressing sweets, and then you can look at whether you are ready to add on other components of No-S, or if you want to wait a bit longer. All things considered, breast-feeding is a pretty short season for mom--it's okay if you decide you want to wait to really address weight/eating habits until after they are weaned. If you decide to add another component, maybe look at snacks next. Aim for 3 good, healthy meals, and maybe a 4th smaller meal (good quality protein, fruits/veggies) to help maintain your milk supply. I would just look at things slowly and gradually so you can see that your boys are getting enough and your supply doesn't dip.

Have fun with your precious babies!
Merry, thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement! I really appreciate your advice. :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:45 pm

Women breastfed successfully without eating any sweets for most of history, so concentrating on limiting them to S days is a great start. (If you are so inclined to be affected by such information, keeping sweets down could pay off greatly in later decades keeping your mentally clarity intact, so you don't have to depend on your offspring making financial and other decisions for you! But that may be too far off to be inspiring now.)

Congratulations on your babies! What a gift that the 40 lbs. came off so fast! And that you have such a sensible way to ease yourself into moderation for the rest of your motherhood.
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:02 am

I don't have anything to add to merry and oolala, just wanted to say congratulations on having twins! My ' baby' is getting ready to turn4!