E-lyn's Check-In Journal

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:00 am

I've tried different types of meditation in the past but have never been able to sustain the practice. I can see where it would be really helpful with food issues. I might try again in the Fall when my schedule gets back to normal.
Thanks for the suggestion, knitapeace and oolala.

After almost 3 months of following NoS, I'm having many days of SUCCESS. I weigh myself only on the 10th, 20th, and 30th of each month and only to make certain I'm not suddenly gaining. So far my loss has been minimal, less than 2 pounds. I think I eat reasonably on N days. My food fits on a 9" plate except for a small amount of fruit I put in a custard cup. And my S days have settled down quite a bit although I still tend to overeat on those days. I know I'm developing good eating habits, but I'm feeling a bit discouraged. My husband has been on NoS for 3 weeks and has lost 5 pounds.

I know from previous weight loss efforts that the trick is to eat less calorically dense food, veggies etc. I love all types of veggies, but I'm so sick of loading up on them in order to lose weight. They're tasty and filling but not really very satisfying in the long run.

Feeling grouchy...

B - egg/ham/cheese, raisin bread, 1/2 peach
L - rice, basil chicken, 3 potstickers
D - hamburger no bun, green beans, corn, cantaloupe

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:20 am

e-lyn wrote:I love all types of veggies, but I'm so sick of loading up on them in order to lose weight. They're tasty and filling but not really very satisfying in the long run.
I think the trick is too keep on trying to find the balance here. You will eventually, if you stick with it.
Try to avoid seeing it as "loading up on veggies in order to lose weight" but rather enjoying a balanced plate of tasty food. That can easily be 1/2 veggies if you have a cooked veg and a small salad with dinner. It doesn't have to seem like a punishment, but as long as it does, I think you may struggle.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:50 pm

osoniye, thanks for your supportive words. I completely understand and agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying.

I've always eaten and loved vegetables. Even as a child...I was the one eating the broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage etc. When I was growing up in the 70's, veggies were not half of anyone's plate, unless you count potato salad or coleslaw, and buttered carrots. And yet most everyone was thin, except for me. I began dieting at the age of 12. I ate steamed zucchini while everyone else soaked it in butter. I gave up full-fat salad dressings during the era when every salad was drenched in ranch dressing. In order to lose or even maintain my weight, I carefully measured out my 4-6 oz. of protein, 1/2 cup of starch, and filled the rest of my plate with veg. Trust me, no one else was pulling the skin off their chicken or draining the fat from their ground beef as religiously as I was. At one point I switched to a whole foods, plant-based diet. I lost no weight until I cut out all avocado, nuts, and limited myself to 1 cup of bean/starch per meal. My meals on NoS have not been veggie heavy because I'm just so tired of eating that way! None of the thin people around me ever fill half of their plate with vegetable matter, haha.

I think I just have to accept the fact that my caloric needs are very small. I'm 57 and moderately active, but only 5'2" with a medium frame. Losing 40 pounds would bring me to a healthy weight for my size.

Sorry about the rant. As osoniye so nicely pointed out, I could definitely use a change of attitude. My troubles are really few. I'm just so tired of this whole food thing.

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:02 pm

knitapeace wrote: ... I do like meditation and one of the reasons is because it teaches you to sit with discomfort, whether physical or emotional. You don't attempt to relieve it, or ignore it, or change it in any way. You just acknowledge it and exist alongside it. The idea is to help you when you're not sitting, to deal with uncomfortable emotions in a less stressful way. Just a thought.
Great insight :)

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes, meditation is very helpful. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm considering taking a break from my daily posting (not a break from NoS). I think I'm focusing too much on food, what I can and can't eat. I need to think about something else for a while.

Emmama

Post by Emmama » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:42 am

e-lyn wrote: I'm just so tired of this whole food thing.
I totally get this...and fwiw, my food bio reads a lot like yours, down to the 5'2" height. My husband cuts out junk food and loses weight like crazy, and it takes me forever to lose 5 pounds, even eating very moderately (or what feels like moderate). The only way I have ever lost weight is by eating only one portion of carbs per day and restricting calories to 1000-1200 calories per day. But that's not sustainable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm trying to find a healthy way to eat that's not crazy-making. I need to lose about 40 pounds as well, to be in the "normal" range. I dunno what the answer is.

I hear ya.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:33 am

Thanks for your comments, Emmama. It helps to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way.

I really appreciate all the encouragement and advice I've been getting. I'm going to try to incorporate some of the ideas and suggestions. I hope I'm just experiencing the frustration that sometimes happens before a breakthrough.

Today was a FAIL....is anyone really surprised? My young people have friends over and they're having a junk food and X-Files marathon. I didn't provide the junk food but I did help myself to 15 cheetos and a red licorice. No big deal. Tomorrow is another day.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:42 am

e-lyn wrote:When I was growing up in the 70's, veggies were not half of anyone's plate, unless you count potato salad...
I got a chuckle out of that! There was also that wedge of iceberg lettuce...
Well, you have been through a lot, no wonder you are suffering from vegetable fatigue! Maybe find some new recipes for old favorites that have a bit of butter or cheese or something to spice it up? I hope it goes well!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:18 am

I'm still enjoying my mod of taking Friday evenings and all day Sunday as S days. It's easy going back to N on Saturday. Even though I'm still overindulging a bit, I'm also noticing a decrease in my overall appetite and the amount I can pack away in one sitting.

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary on Sunday with dinner at a steakhouse. This is definitely a meal best enjoyed on an S day. We usually order the special which includes 8 oz. steak, baked potato, salad/dressing, ranch-style beans, bread/butter, and a glass of wine. I subbed out my potato for broccoli and we shared that and his potato. I took my entire steak home in a doggy bag. It was just way too much food!! Really, we could have shared one meal but they won't let you do that. It's always seemed like too much food, but I always did my best, haha. This time it was just unpleasant and I actually felt somewhat nauseated by it.

At this point my eyes are still bigger than my stomach on S days. But NoS days have become a lot easier. I'm definitely getting strong 'Hunger' and 'Full' signals. Yay! It's getting easier to ignore the mild hunger pangs. I no longer feel so anxious and I actually kind of enjoy the sensation.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:06 am

FAIL

After 3 months of NoS and no weight loss, I've been experimenting with smaller portions. I haven't been cutting down by much, sometimes half a sandwich instead of a whole, or no butter on my breakfast toast. Also adding more veggies to my meals. It really hasn't gone all that well. I seem to be fine during the day, but after dinner I just have an overwhelming desire to eat. I've been ignoring it and hoping it would pass and I would adjust to less food. But tonight I gave in and polished off some leftover pasta salad and fruit crisp. And even after all of that, I still feel kind of hungry.

Back to the drawing board.

B - egg, 1/2 cheese, bit of leftover steak, english muffin
L - 1/2 turkey sandwich, cup of lentil veggie soup, peach
D - roast chicken, pasta salad, banana with cottage cheese
S - leftover pasta salad and fruit crisp

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:20 am

e-lyn wrote:I haven't been cutting down by much, sometimes half a sandwich instead of a whole, or no butter on my breakfast toast. Also adding more veggies to my meals. It really hasn't gone all that well.
Sorry to hear that isn't going well.
I highly advise just adding the extra veggies for a while until it seems like too much food, and only then maybe cut down to 3/4 sandwich or something like that. I know 3/4 sandwich isn't a nice round thing, but cutting the "entree" item in half suddenly sounds like it would be a shock to the system!
-Sonya

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:41 am

I like your idea, osoniye! I think I did freak myself out a bit, haha. I'll definitely add more veggies to my meals. And I need to be sure I have a very adequate and satisfying dinner. We eat around 6 but I don't go to bed until around midnight. It can be a long stretch. Thanks for checking in!

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:09 am

SUCCESS

B - egg, english muffin, peanut butter, 1/2 peach
L - burger, 1/2 bun, kale salad
D - chicken sandwich, sliced tomatoes, peach

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:56 pm

I also find I fluctuate with how much is enough--sometimes half a sandwich with fruit and a few pretzels on the side is plenty, and other times I really want a whole sandwich. I hope you can find a good pattern for you!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:13 am

Hi Merry! Yes, I'm still playing the guessing game as far as how much is 'enough'. Some days are easier than others. I do fine most days and have gotten used to the sensation of hunger. But there are days I just want more!

SUCCESS

B - egg, cheese, english muffin, peanut butter
L - roast veggie sandwich, green salad, 1/2 peach
D - steamed baby potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, peach, cottage cheese

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:15 am

Got caught in the crest of an urge wave, huh? It happens! It can seem impossible to let the craving build and ride it out, but it's very powerful. Not fun but sure builds resistance muscle. But it also sounds like it was a pretty tame fail and no WTH effect. That's gold!

Enjoy your S day whether you have an S or not...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Emmama

Post by Emmama » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:37 am

e-lyn wrote:I do fine most days and have gotten used to the sensation of hunger. But there are days I just want more!
Yes...I've tinkered around with intuitive eating, and for me that meant bolting to the kitchen anytime I felt the least bit hungry. It's kinda nice to be mildly hungry. When I'm eating I tell myself that I'd rather feel mildly hungry in a few hours than stuffed.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:51 am

Today was a bit of a FAIL really. My sister is visiting and we went out to a vegan place for lunch. She has all kinds of food issues and they are constantly changing. I try to go with the flow, but it really stresses me out and I find myself eating more out of sheer nervousness. I did okay, all things considered. But I went back for seconds at the vegan buffet and had some extra chips at dinner. I hope I can do better tomorrow.

B - egg, english muffin, banana
L - green salad, bread/butter, dal, veggie curry, rice
D - hamburger/bun, green salad, chips, pickles

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:24 am

No doubt about it, we can be negatively influenced by others! Just think about what it might have been like before No S. It takes a lot of practice and it doesn't feel fun at the time to hold out, especially when it's so darn easy to have a little more. It's not as if we have to drive to the store like an addict to have a fix! And sometimes, we don't hold out, even after lots of practice. Geesh! It can be hard to find the balance of having it be important enough to make an effort but not so much that it deflates our spirit.

I aspire very much to let others "be" in their eating, unless they ask, but honestly, the ease with that comes and goes, too.

With your sister, just do your best to enjoy your plate of food and change the subject, if you can!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:40 am

You are so right, oolala! I think I could have handled the visit from my sister better if it had been on my S days. Even though I felt nervous and stressed, I didn't want to just call it an S day ahead of time. My sister eats very healthy, but it's a faddish, picky, expensive, and judgmental style of eating also. And she talks about it a lot. It's good practice for me to ignore it and focus on my own needs. But like you said, it takes a lot practice. I did somewhat better today, although I ate too much at dinner trying to relieve my anxiety after she left.

SUCCESS

B - egg, raisin bread/butter, banana
L - turkey meatballs, brown rice, heirloom tomatoes, cottage cheese
D - shrimp/steak fajitas, rice, beans, tortillas, chips, salsa

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:51 am

e-lyn wrote:I try to go with the flow, but it really stresses me out and I find myself eating more out of sheer nervousness. I did okay, all things considered. But I went back for seconds at the vegan buffet and had some extra chips at dinner. I hope I can do better tomorrow.
Wow, such a healthy fail- seconds at a vegan buffet! But I get what you mean- family can be stressful even though we love them!
It's good to think of strategies for next time your with her, and you are doing that! Let her talk be so much background music while you eat the best of the best off the buffet for your 1 plate of lunch! (Or it could be a non-weekend S day if you plan in advance, but honestly, why waste an S day on an eating event that might make you anxious/nervous because of the company?)
-Sonya

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:21 am

osoniye, that was my thought exactly. Why waste an S day on a day when I'm too stressed to really enjoy my special treats? So I just took a fail instead.

It's okay...it happens.
Tuesday was better and today was also a SUCCESS.

B - raisin bread/butter
L - tomato soup, egg salad made with avocado, bread
D - chicken drumstick, roasted broccoli/cauliflower, salad, bread, cantaloupe

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:18 am

I took my best friend out for a birthday lunch today. I was prepared to declare it an S day and perhaps share a dessert with her if she wanted one. We were full after lunch so she suggested we have coffee and cookies at her house later on. I really didn't want to have an S day for a chocolate chip cookie so I just enjoyed the coffee and said no thanks to the cookie. Easy.

SUCCESS

B - egg, bread/butter/jam, raspberries
L - hamburger, 1/2 bun, kale salad
D - veggie stir fry, brown rice, cantaloupe

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:36 am

Just like a thin person might! That's how it's done.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:21 am

So, I'm back after a week of vacation! I managed to have some GREEN days in there, but it was a challenge. We went camping on M, T, and Wed. I mostly stuck to regular one-plate meals while camping but there were some snacks and sweets involved. I continued to struggle after we got home. I think it was because it was our last few days before hubby went back to teaching after having the summer off. We didn't really snack much, but it felt as though I was regularly overeating rich food and maybe not being entirely honest about fitting everything on one plate. I've also been eating things I don't normally allow myself such as fries, nachos, mayo etc.

Well, it all tasted very good and now it's time to get back to my regular NoS routine!

B - egg, bread, cheese
L - soup, deli sandwich, banana
D - spaghetti w/meatball, salad, bread, peach

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:34 am

Just a couple of additional thoughts....

I've been eating this way for almost 4 months now. I've had some fails along the way, but also many successes and for that I'm grateful. NoS has provided me with structure and a framework for good habits. But I still struggle a lot with food obsession and 'diet head'. I haven't lost any weight so I'm still eating more calories than I need. When I make any attempt to cut back my portions or lower the caloric density of my food, all of my food craziness rears its ugly head. After reading those articles about the Biggest Loser contestants, I realize it's probably a combination of factors both psychological and physical (hormonal). I'm not considering giving up or going back to counting points, carbs, etc. Just feeling a bit discouraged.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:59 am

Diet head is a hard one - but I go back to the No S book or listen to the podcasts to re-affirm the No S 'rules' for myself! I'm into my second year of doing No S now and my portion-sizes have just reduced gradually without any real thought or decision from me - I trust the same will happen for you. The 'one plate' is a great tool. I also got myself a smaller plate after about 6 months of doing No S - 9" - that helps too.

Keep going!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:00 pm

I have to admit that although I wouldn't call it diet head, I feel too caught up in this stuff, but I just can't seem to find anything else as compelling.

I said at the beginning that I was willing NOT to lose weight, but I don't know what it would have been like if I hadn't at all. I was always more interested in trying to work with my natural appetite. The only reason I've sometimes experimented with mods that might also be associated with weight loss is because my hunger has dropped so much that I might as well try them. I would never force them on me if I had to be very hungry for too long to do them. (But not my desire, so eating less still has to be a conscious choice.) I admit I'm intrigued to think I could lose less happily, but I'm actually annoyed by that!

But I feel for you feeling discouraged, even though you have found other benefits. This society and its pervasive media can make it so hard to feel peace looking in the mirror.

I gently say to try to let No S be a place to tread water and learn discipline, as you have been. Really, you are SO far ahead of the game! So many people have already quit anything they try by this point. After a few more months, I think it would be appropriate for you to casually look at alternatives to put on your plates, or allow yourself to eat even less on weekends. (I often end up doing that because I get full and choose to skip meals. For me, when I started doing that was often when weight loss followed. Not canonical No S, but true. But I didn't do it until into the second year.)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:18 am

SUCCESS

B - egg, bread, peanut butter
L - ham/cheese/roll, potato salad, peach
D - chili beans, corn tortillas, cheese, pear

I was too full at lunch so I ended up throwing out 3/4 of the roll. But I ate quite a large portion of potato salad instead.

I steamed up a bunch of cauliflower for dinner but did not have the appetite for it and ate a larger portion of chili instead. Here's the weird thing...before NoS, I used to love my veggies! It's how I lost over 60 pounds on Weight Watchers, by adding tons of vegetables to all of my meals. I put eggplant in my marinara sauce and then ate that over spaghetti squash. I added spinach to every hot dish and ate tons of zero point veg soup. But now I just don't want them.

I think when I was dieting and using caloric density techniques, I was trying to trick my body into accepting fewer calories then it needed and wanted. The body knows the difference between temporary fillers such as fiber/water/air, and useable calories (energy). It seems that one can do this for a while, but eventually our body rebels and starts screaming out for the calories necessary to maintain one's weight....not lose weight. It may be why low carb diets work so well for some people. But it is a trick also and the body eventually figures it out.

I don't know what the solution is. I'm sticking with NoS because it helps me maintain my sanity in the face of all this. I hope I can eventually shift my focus onto more important things.
It ain't easy being GREEN, lol.
Last edited by e-lyn on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:35 am

SUCCESS

B - egg, bread, sausage, apricots
L - BBQ chicken, corn/arugula salad
D - Nachos (bean/cheese/guac/salsa/sour cream) and 1/2 beer

I really wanted those nachos!

Saoirse

Post by Saoirse » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:38 am

Dear e-lyn,

Really hard that stretch after supper. I can see that so many posters live in the United States, thus very hot summers, or Sonia in the Horn of Africa, hot 9and for Sonia probalby not ready access to a kettle).

My fallback in April through July and to which I am now returning is a cup of tea (Ireland rarely 'hot' weather0 at nighttime. depending on where you live, and the summer heat, a cup of herbal tea? Cold herbal tea?

Very good luck wth all
Saoirse

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:20 pm

I 'discovered' the joys of cold herbal teas this year - can't think why it never occurred to me before!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:45 am

Saoirse and RawCookie...thanks for the tea reminder! I really love a cup of peppermint tea but I tend to forget all about it in the heat of the summer. I have fresh mint in my garden so I could even throw a bit of that in for extra flavor.

SUCCESS

B - bread, peanut butter, banana
L - 1/2 turkey/swiss sandwich, baked yam, green salad
D - meatloaf, 1/2 potato, green salad, pear

Preparing my plate has become something of a meditation at this point. First, I think carefully about what I really want to eat. Then I consider what portion will be the most satisfying. At first this seemed like a stressful challenge but it has become easier and more intuitive. It's definitely easier to do this at home where I have more control over my food. Restaurant eating is still a challenge for me. Today for lunch I planned to have a whole sandwich and yams with butter. When lunchtime rolled around I only needed half a sandwich and I ate the yams plain. I tasted them and they were so good without the butter. I was happy with my decision and it really didn't require any willpower to forgo the extra food.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:54 am

SUCCESS

B - egg, bread, 1/2 banana
L - baked potato, cheese, garden veggies, pear
D - meatloaf w/mushroom gravy, brown rice, veggies, applesauce

I'm really enjoying my weekday meals! The fruit is a nice substitute for sweets. I do still have some cravings for sweets and snacks, especially while watching TV at night. But habit is winning out.

Having regular meals keeps me from thinking of food in terms of reward/punishment. I always have a decent meal to look forward to regardless of what I ate at the last meal. If I slip up, I don't have to hate myself, starve myself, or binge. I just need to get back to my daily routine. I still feel anxiety around my S days, but that is decreasing.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:35 pm

Yes! Regular, decent meals!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LadyEngineer

Post by LadyEngineer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:22 pm

e-lyn wrote:Merry, I admire your ability to leave some of that pizza behind! I can do that at home sometimes when I feel more relaxed around food. My big challenge is restaurant eating. I really want to finish my whole plate of food! I've tried getting a to-go box and immediately boxing up some of my plate. But then I just think about the leftovers all night!
That's a hard one, e-lyn. I just had that challenge today at lunch. I have been really wanting to go out with lady co-worker (my same age, engineer in the "wrong field" :) and a working mom). We finally went out today, to a Mexican place. I was in the "this isn't in my diet mindset" and I had to remind myself, "ONE PLATE", not "ONE PLATE OF LETTUCE". I had the chicken fajitas, a couple of chips, but left the majority of the rice and refried beans because I was actually pretty full with the plate I gave myself. It was really tasty, and I was happy that I allowed myself to relax and just enjoy the meal and company. And I don't feel guilty about "wasting" the rest of the food, because then, like you, I would be thinking about the left overs, or I would have over stuffed myself.

It is tricky when we go out. But I think that's the nice part of the "No S Diet". Sometimes, you have "bigger" plates. Sounds like most of the time, your plates are "just right"... :)
"Leave space on your plate and you will lose weight" (Courtesy of my 16 year old son).

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:53 am

LadyEngineer wrote:.... I had to remind myself, "ONE PLATE", not "ONE PLATE OF LETTUCE". ......... But I think that's the nice part of the "No S Diet". Sometimes, you have "bigger" plates.
I agree. I sometimes get a 'stay for lunch' invite at a friend's house and I'm now much more relaxed about it, as long as it all goes on one plate! Saying 'not for me' to seconds, extras and desserts is now second-nature to me. One plate, then perhaps a coffee - that's all I need and want now. Hooray for No S!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:52 am

Well, just when I thought that I had conquered my after dinner snacking problem....I have obviously not! I won't go into the sad details because it's just too depressing. I've been fine during the day; noS on weekdays and sometimes on S days, but the nighttimes are another story. No amount of tea or distractions will do the trick. I'm not exactly 'bingeing' but just permasnacking until I finally eat the thing that gives me that feeling of being totally 'full'. I don't even like that feeling any more. It gives me indigestion and poor quality sleep. Saturday night I had the worst nightmare ever!

When I think about it, my routine has changed again in the past week. The summer is over and my husband has returned to his teaching job. He spends most nights working in his classroom. Even though I'm used to it, I have to admit it does get a bit lonely. I'll adjust as I always do, but food does not help the situation and really only make things worse.

On the plus side, I have eaten an absolute ton of veggies this weekend! Our garden is producing some terrific zucchini, cukes, peppers, basil. No tomatoes yet but our friends have filled in the gaps. Still waiting on the green beans.

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:47 am

I'm sorry it's been a hard week. I totally get how a big change like your husband going back to work would throw things off. Maybe you need a new hobby or something to look forward to in the evenings, to keep you busy & your mind off of food more?
Respect Moderation

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:04 am

Thanks, Merry! It always takes me a while to adjust. I go crazy at the beginning of summer with everyone home. By the time I get used to it and actually start to relax, they all go back to school and I have to shift again. Transitions have always been difficult for me. Really not a good excuse to snack all night, though. I'll eventually settle into a new routine...and a new hobby would be a good thing.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:30 am

SUCCESS

B - egg, bread, cheese, peanut butter
L - tuna sandwich, apricots
D - chicken curry w/veg, rice

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Perfect-i-mundo!

3 meals

ace!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:26 am

Thanks RawCookie!

SUCCESS

B - frittata, english muffin, apricots
L - tuna sandwich, 1 oz. cheese, cukes, 1/2 banana
D - BBQ pork on whole grain roll, broccoli, cucumbers, raspberries

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:35 am

SUCCESS...but just barely.

We went to a Mexican restaurant tonight and I ate a full plate of nachos. Yes, it was just one 9" plate, but it was too much food. I couldn't stop myself. Feeling stressed out is really not a good enough reason to overeat. So why do I continue to do this?

B - english muffin, veg/egg frittata
L - curry lentils, corn tortillas, cheese, banana
D - nachos bean/cheese/guac/sour cream/salsa

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:16 am

e-lyn wrote:SUCCESS...but just barely.

We went to a Mexican restaurant tonight and I ate a full plate of nachos. Yes, it was just one 9" plate, but it was too much food. I couldn't stop myself. Feeling stressed out is really not a good enough reason to overeat. So why do I continue to do this?

B - english muffin, veg/egg frittata
L - curry lentils, corn tortillas, cheese, banana
D - nachos bean/cheese/guac/sour cream/salsa
I hear ya...but I DO love a good plate of nachos! Congrats on the success, and I hope tomorrow is a better day/less stress.
Respect Moderation

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:13 am

Thanks, Merry! Before NoS I would never have dared to order nachos. I think I've gone overboard a bit with so much freedom, lol.

Today was kind of interesting as far as food goes. Had lunch with my BFF at a local Italian restaurant. I rarely eat Italian food for lunch...way too heavy for me. But my friend really wanted to go and she had a coupon. We decided to share a few things. I let her order because she is pickier than I am. I just requested that a salad be included. We were given a basket of focaccia with some greasy pesto type dip. It was good and I ate a bit too much of it. Then came massive amounts of exceedingly rich food served on gigantic plates! At this point I was a bit full from the appetizer and salad. I took some of the spaghetti with shrimp, a very small bite of chicken, and all of the steamed vegetables. I let my friend take home all of the leftovers. Even though I'm sure I ate more than I normally would have, I was still proud of myself for only modestly filling my plate. There were actually empty white spaces between the portions, but I think the plates were like 16" or something...haha.

B - eng muffin/butter/jam, cantaloupe
L - See above
D - Garden Vegetable soup, peach

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:28 am

Sounds like you handled lunch well and enjoyed time with your friend!
Respect Moderation

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:41 am

Merry, I did enjoy lunch with my friend, but I really can't have too many days like that and expect to lose weight. My friend is ultra thin and really likes rich food. She's unhappy when we eat at simpler places. I'm trying to have NoS fit into my life without making a big deal about it. But we have lunch together once a week and something has to give.

SUCCESS

B - vegetable frittata
L - chicken salad, green salad, roasted almonds
D - pork chop, zucchini

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:43 am

SUCCESS

B - veggie frittata
L - burger no bun, kale salad
D - hotdog no bun, green salad, baked cauliflower

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:44 am

e-lyn wrote:But we have lunch together once a week and something has to give.
I was just going to say if you only see her a few times a year, it's not big deal, but once a week is sort of a big deal. Could you have a conversation with her, that your metabolism isn't quite as blessed as hers is, and make it every other time at a place that you choose and every other time at her heavy food places. Seems like a good compromise that any reasonable person thinking about it would aggee to-?
-Sonya

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:14 am

osoniye, you're right, I really do need to have a talk with her. I just don't like calling attention to my 'diet' since I've been on so many and they don't seem to work, lol. It's more difficult lately as she has dislocated her jaw and can only eat soft foods. Add to that her general pickiness and it isn't easy to settle on a restaurant. She's a wonderful friend...but also a bit particular when it comes to food. I did better this week, though. I ordered a hamburger (no bun) with a kale salad instead of fries. She ordered the same burger with the bun, topped with cambozola and mayonnaise, and a buttered potato with béarnaise sauce on the side. I avoided all of that, but you can see what I'm up against!
Last edited by e-lyn on Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:17 am

SUCCESS

B - egg, sausage, tomatoes
L - chicken salad, cucumber slices, a few almonds
D - steak, green salad, broccoli

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:21 am

Did she eat the whole thing? Any chance she'd be willing to split a meal in the future?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:29 am

oolala....she definitely ate all the best parts, haha! I think she left some of the bun, the lettuce/onion/tomato, and the potato skin. We've split meals before but I usually get the short end of that stick. I think my best bet is to make sure I'm not ravenous at lunchtime. I'm more likely to resist all the excess if I'm not too hungry. Maybe I'll try having some coffee with a bit of milk ahead of time.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:59 am

Worth a try.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:13 am

It has only recently become more of a problem. Her jaw issue really limits our choices. And it was somewhat easier before NoS. I could get away with eating a light salad, knowing I could have a snack before dinner if I needed to. Like osoniye said, my friend is blessed with a great metabolism and I am not. She also loves heavy, rich food and I really don't like all that at lunch. It's possibly what helps her stay slim, eating her main meal earlier in the day.

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:39 am

e-lyn wrote: It's possibly what helps her stay slim, eating her main meal earlier in the day.
Maybe that is a good idea. On the day you go out to lunch with your friend make the lunch the main meal and adjust your breakfast and diner. Maybe eat diner a bit later because after a heavier lunch you might be able to stretch diner time that day.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:30 am

e-lyn, have you ever considered asking your friend what a typical day's eating looks like for her? Since you mentioned how slim she is and her love of rich food, I'd be very curious to see what the content of her other meals is.

I think I mentioned before on the boards that one of the most fascinating studies would be to clandestinely follow a thin person around all day to observe her/his eating habits and activity level. (The clandestine part would be to ensure they weren't "acting" a certain way for an audience; i.e., they would be doing what they normally do when they know they're not being specifically observed.) Genetics and metabolism aside, I'm guessing there may be some helpful tips on how they stay slim gleaned from that experiment! :)

But since that's virtually impossible to do, the next best thing is to ask and hope that the person honestly shares what she/he does. Are you close enough with your friend that you'd feel comfortable doing that?
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:54 am

I saw a comment by a thin person once saying that she was more likely to eat rich foods when she went out. Her friends marveled at her burgers and fries and such, but she didn't really eat like that all the time. It wasn't to try to stay thin. She was just as likely to have a very light lunch or dinner at home. Or sometimes practically skip a meal But most thin people aren't really aware of what they do.

But some thin people, esp.men, are pretty big eaters.

What kind of choices would you like to be able to make at a restaurant? BTW, it didn't sound like she has that much trouble with her jaw if she could eat a burger...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:28 pm

oolala53 wrote: Her friends marveled at her burgers and fries and such, but she didn't really eat like that all the time. It wasn't to try to stay thin. She was just as likely to have a very light lunch or dinner at home. Or sometimes practically skip a meal. But most thin people aren't really aware of what they do.
true... for me was like that until my mid 30s... and most of the women in my family...
oolala53 wrote:But some thin people, esp.men, are pretty big eaters.
true for all men on both sides of the family and all ages...

(un)fortunately we cant compare ourselves to others, nor even our own selves in different stages of our lives...
just figuring out what works best for us as life flows is the best we can do, as i came to realise... noS is a wonderful framework for that...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Yes! It's the framework- or similar- of most slim cultures. It allows all kinds of individuals to moderate their eating. When it's the cultural model, it's not even painful- for most.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:36 pm

I wish it were that simple. Yes, cultural framework, family habits, genetics, food quality, eating times etc....all those things play a part. But it's really a complex deal.

I have observed my friend for the past 15 years. There is little rhyme or reason to her eating. If she puts on a bit of weight (like an extra 10 pounds), she goes on a very, very low cal (under 1000) calorie diet until she's at the weight she likes. Then she goes back to eating a ton of very rich food. Her fridge is filled with food (sour cream, hollandaise sauce, half and half) Sometimes she grazes, sometimes she eats huge meals. Sometimes she eats rich foods and heavy pastas, sometimes salads and vegetable soups. She eats out a fair amount, has late dinners, and her family has never had 'family' sit-down meals. She's mostly sedentary except for a daily slow lap swim. She has two XL cups of coffee loaded with half and half most mornings. She does eat her fair share of fruits and veggies at home. And tries to limit her sweets or share them. And she doesn't like fast food or processed food. I would categorize her food choices as Mediterranean/French.

For many of us, the way my friend eats would lead to a weight problem. I've given up trying to figure it out.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:00 pm

On a more disquieting note, I have also observed my sister-in-law's eating habits for almost 30 years. Her habits are similar to my friend, somewhat random in nature and toggling between caloric foods and 'healthy' eating. She is also the same height and has an active job on her feet all day. Her weight is often well over 300 pounds. She lost a lot after gastric bypass but has now regained most of it. I wish I had the answer but I don't.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:43 am

You're right. Your friend cannot be copied by the average person. These people are not "normal." I know there is faction in the weight loss world that thinks they can be emulated. I humbly disagree. These people are the exceptions! If you look at stats in the rest of the world, it's very normal to overeat in the presence of a generous food supply and lack of a culture of moderation. That's why we in the States (and a growing number of countries) have to invent our own moderation. Randomness has a low chance of success when it comes to slimness.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:24 am

oolala53 wrote: If you look at stats in the rest of the world, it's very normal to overeat in the presence of a generous food supply and lack of a culture of moderation. That's why we in the States (and a growing number of countries) have to invent our own moderation. Randomness has a low chance of success when it comes to slimness.
This!

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Agreed! In general, good habits seem to win out over randomness in sustaining healthy body weight. This has been true in my own life. Some years ago I lost over 60 pounds on Weight Watchers by sticking to an almost ritualistic eating pattern. Unfortunately, i wasn't able to keep the weight off because I lacked a framework for maintenance. Plus, I was hungry...

I'm always interested in reading about the habits and mindset of those who've reached the age of 100. Those of us over 50 can appreciate what it takes to get there! I've noticed that many of them have a structure to their days and eating habits. Snacking doesn't seem to be a part of the routine. Although, I remember the story of one very mellow gentleman whose routine had included a cup of hot cocoa every day for the past 50 years.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:03 am

Well, I took a 4-day S holiday over the Labor Day weekend. I kept it kind of low key and didn't fall off too badly. I snagged a couple of strawberries from the garden. I munched on some almonds while watching TV.

Even though the transgressions were mostly minor, I'm still glad to be back to vanilla NoS today. I love the secure feeling of having a framework for eating. It's like a safety net for me.

SUCCESS

B - egg, sausage
L - chicken and kale salad
D - shrimp fajitas

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:49 pm

It is for the individuals in slim cultures, too, though they probably wouldn't see it that way.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:54 pm

Oolala....I hope you don't mind that I copied and reposted this recent post of yours to my thread (I've never figured out how to use the quote function). I love this and need to put it here for inspiration! Thank you.

Food for thought from Oolala: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:44 pm

I humbly suggest you stop having weight goals and have habit-of-feeling goals. How does the eating that has you gain feel? What is dissatisfying about the eating that gets you to a lower weight that you end up abandoning it? It's less about the weight than the experience of doing each of these. Which is more miserable, eating so that you're never really hungry, constantly giving in to fake hunger, feeling full almost all the time, feeling that the least let up on fullness is a reason to go eat more, rarely really enjoying what you eat, rarely really pleased with the experience, OR anticipating a good meal ahead, being hungry for it and savoring how wonderful the food is, being pleasantly full for hours after the meal, remembering how lovely the food was, and how good it feels not to be stuffed? Etc.

You will never be able to maintain ANY weight that doesn't result from balancing pleasures. If you are not convinced mentally and physically (unless you're actually sick) that moderation is actually more pleasurable overall than obvious immoderation, then you won't likely be able to hold out when those really strong urges come, when your mind is telling you all the reasons it's okay to go with every whim. This comes from experience, not from telling yourself it's true or from me saying it. But you also have to give the experience a bit more attention than overeating has gotten. Use habitcal or anything quick easy way to acknowledge the good behavior and the good feelings, the physical ones, not just moral ones, that come with it.

Christmas does a LOT of people in. Some research has shown that a fair number of people gain most of their weight at Christmas time, and the just never take it off. But that doesn't happen from eating a few extra desserts on weekends and the actual holiday. It usually comes with a LOT of feeling overfull because we are so used to eating more just because something tastes good. If something tastes good, we should slow down and SAVOR it more, not eat more of it. That's the way slim cultures love food but stay slim. But that takes practice in less "stressful" situations.

Consider making it a priority to get the habits down solid in the next few months. That could make a real difference in your getting through this holiday season actually enjoying yourself more while eating less. From experience, I can tell you that that is worth EVERY white-knuckling moment, and if you are an emotional eater, or kind of addicted to sweets, flour foods, processed foods, there will likely be some of those. Only a kind of religious epiphany or a lucky combination of foods wipes those urges out, and who can wait for those?

We live in a society in which food is around a lot of the time. Christmas, the summer, etc. Whatever we do HAS to help us negotiate that fact. But belief that it is worth some pain to conquer ad hoc eating, and later the belief that it's not actually that painful, that it's actually more painful NOT to, is a big help.

Could the following become a real, true mantra,not just an imposition?

Overeating is more painful later than resisting it is now. I'm sure there will be multiple times a day to invoke it, maybe way past 20 lbs. So what if it takes a long time to get it right? Hasn't a long time passed already?

If this mantra can't become true for you. then you are trying to convince your body that sacrificing a LOT of the time will somehow be worth being thin. It begs to differ. See above for exceptions.

If any of this is too harsh, delete it and send me bad vibes! But I'm on your side!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:40 am

I agree, this is golden--glad you re-posted it here as I missed it before.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Mind??!! I'm humbled!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:23 pm

The weekend went well and I had a very nice non-scale victory. My husband and I attended a jazz festival on Saturday. We ate a modest lunch at home around 1:00 and were at the venue by 3:00. We listened to music and wandered around a bit. There were some interesting food booths but we weren't hungry so we didn't eat anything. It was a hot day and we were tempted by the beer but it was eight dollars a glass. We did wander over to the 'wine garden' where I had a half glass of champagne. The concert ended by 6:00 but the traffic was horrendous and we didn't get to dinner until after 8:00 in the evening. Before NoS I would have been frantic for food and in a horrible mood. I would most likely have picked a fight with my husband for some reason and we would both be too grouchy to enjoy our dinner.

But that didn't happen! I only felt mild hunger even after seven hours with no food. I'm sure I was hungry but I didn't perceive it as a 'bad' feeling and my mood stayed steady. We had a delicious dinner at a very nice restaurant and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I couldn't even finish the whole thing so I took some leftovers home. This is a huge change for me!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Thank you, moderate N days!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:31 am

That's awesome, E-Lyn! So happy for you--sounds like a lovely time with your hubby :-).
Respect Moderation

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:45 am

I haven't been posting my meals daily, but I'm still plugging away with NoS.

I've recently made a few tweaks to my diet although I'm pretty sure the overall amount of food has remained constant. When I first began NoS I added back some foods that I hadn't allowed myself for some time. Mostly milk and plenty of bread. I was also eating 2-3 small portions of fruit a day. My skin was breaking out so badly and I could not figure out why. Also my digestive tract was not happy. The milk was the first to go and that helped a bit. And then I had to drop the fruit because it just wasn't doing me any good. I adore bread but I reduced it down to one serving a day. My skin has completely cleared up. I'm not entirely sure what the problem was, and I don't want to demonize any one food since any evidence seems to be anecdotal. I'm still eating cheese and occasionally have cream in my coffee. Sourdough bread doesn't seem to bother me as much. Fruit only bothers me when I eat it with my meals. So I enjoy it as a snack on S days.

I really don't like messing with my food like this. It feels too much like 'dieting', but my skin was getting so bad I was afraid I would have to see a dermatologist for the first time in my life....and I'm over 50!

Anyway....I made the changes and feel so much better. Our summer garden
has been abundant with cucumbers, green beans, zucchini, squash, etc. so I've been eating a ton of veggies too. And I've just recently added some fermented foods to the mix...sauerkrauts and other pickled veg. I've also cut way back on my S day sugary treats. I might have a couple of cookies and that's it. One other little mod I've made has been to have a square of super dark chocolate with lunch or dinner on occasion. It is Lindt Excellence 90% and so bitter but I really like it and think that it meets the 'no sugar' requirement.

I'm so relieved my skin has cleared up. And my appetite seems to have calmed down considerably since my early days on NoS. I still haven't lost any weight but my new habits are so reassuring that I'm able to put weight loss on the back burner....for now.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:56 am

Ugh thanks for stopping by my thread but sorry to hear you're having issues with certain foods as well. I'm almost 50 also. Maybe it's an age thing?

Sounds like you're getting some good results with your experimenting and I think it's smart not to make any broad assumptions at this point.

You're garden sounds wonderful. I wish I had that skill but everything I touch dies. :oops:

Anyway fingers crossed things continue to improve for you.

Linda

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:03 am

Whoa, big FAIL last week. Actually, the whole week was a NoS failure. After some honest evaluation I did learn a few things that I'm hoping will help in the future.

1. All eating outside of an actual meal on my designated plate is 'Snacking'. I know this seems obvious but it's very easy to slip into gray areas with this one.

For instance: If I add a small piece of dark chocolate to my meal that's fine. But if I take that chocolate and make myself a cup of coffee and bring it to the couch to enjoy while I read a book...that's Snacking! If I'm out in the garden and I munch on some raw green beans and cherry tomatoes....that is Snacking! If I sample the cheese at Whole Foods because I might buy that kind and I need to know what it tastes like...that's Snacking! These may seem like minor indiscretions but they really do add up to permasnacking. And it makes it much more difficult to draw the NoS line and stick to it.

2. If I eat too much on my S evenings, I am absolutely not hungry the next morning. In fact, food has zero appeal. I can be easily satisfied with a cup of coffee w/ splash of milk. Then a normal lunch at the usual time. But....my appetite will catch up with me and I'm absolutely starving at dinner time and unable to be satisfied with the usual plate full of food. It completely throws me off and makes it very difficult to stick to my NoS plan for that day.

3. Sometimes I don't feel like eating anything sweet on my S days so I just skip it and feel somewhat virtuous. But if I do this too often I start to have major craving for goodies during the week! Last week I somehow convinced myself that my family needed to have some homemade oatmeal cookies right away. I ended up eating more than anyone else.

Willpower is crucial and I definitely need to exercise more of it. But there are limits to it especially when I'm tired, hungry, upset, etc.
Habit kicks in when willpower is weak. Still working on it....

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:07 am

Very interesting observations. I'm impressed that you didn't jump to all kinds of solutions as the situations could be a little tricky. I believe they will emerge, some naturally, some purposely.

I hope it helps for me to say that the kind of "dieting" that you are doing is EXACTLY what dieting should be and be used for. Changing our eating habits to improve our ease and vitality is a completely appropriate thing to do, IMHO. If weight loss results, so be it. It may not, but at least we feel better.

Which doesn't mean that it's all butterflies and bubbles. I have reduced some foods to good effect, but it doesn't mean I don't miss the freedom of having them!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:03 am

Great notes elyn!

I really agree with you on being very strict about the no snacking rule. I used to allow a few bites of veggies while prepping dinner but it turned into a slippery slope. Soon I was justifying other nibbles here and there. I do best with very firm rules in this area.

Intersting also about feeling deprived if you don't have sweets on the weekend. I know some people don't like to have sweets on the weekend just cuz they can but only if it's something they're really craving. I'm kinda the opposite. If it's Sunday night and I haven't had any sweets that day, I make sure to have a little something just so I don't feel deprived come Monday. I know myself and I will. &#9786;&#65039;

I think you're doing great and your thinking things through is really smart. &#128077;

Linda

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:48 pm

I really agree with you on being very strict about the no snacking rule. I used to allow a few bites of veggies while prepping dinner but it turned into a slippery slope. Soon I was justifying other nibbles here and there. I do best with very firm rules in this area.
hear! hear! it is vitally important for me to be strict in the no snacking. No seconds is a lot easier, because usually I'm full with one plate of food. but snacking is tougher. I have to stick to it hard, and not go into denial when I have something that makes it a red day...even cherry tomatoes while picking in the garden..."it's okay this one time" turns into "it's okay" every day.

Yay for the habit!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:32 am

And cherry tomatoes today but a handful of pretzels another day and the whole bag a few days later. Oh, wait, this is your thread, not mine!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23