kaalii's daily check-in...

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Whosonfirst wrote: Enjoyable activities like walking in a forest are easier to maintain. I often wanted to live in a town with forest in the back of my house to do that, but the wife isn't the "wild outdoors" type I am.
oh, too bad, it is soo nice and peaceful to live next to a forest...im more in other countries, travelling than i am in the centre of the town i live in, haha... but im actually losing this house by the next spring, the owner wants to renovate and up the price a lot... but im looking for something in the neighbourhood, near my forest again, if possilbe... and yes, maintenance is easier with outdoors frame of mind/lifestyle...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:35 pm

thursday - green!

a bit of tennis at work with a kid, plus the usual walking and stairs... but today im making a pause day from actual exercising... yesterday i exeggerated: on top of swimming and running, i did some pretty fast night bicycling (going for a beer by the fire with friends 15 min bike ride from my home)... i feel my muscles need rest...

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Congrats on the green Thursday - it feels so good, doesn't it!?

Thanks for the encouragement on my thread this evening - I did manage to avoid the biscuits and cakes - just had the cup of tea & chat. I also busied myself helping to wash-up. However, I'm home now and am enjoying a cup of hot chocolate (2 tsps cocoa, 1 tsp creamer, sprinkle of grated nutmeg - I'm gradually reducing the creamer!)

See you tomorrow!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:10 am

yay, rawcookie! but i KNEW it! you are going through temptations so elegantly... im glad you have arrived to that place... and that you have done it with noS... such an encouragement for everyone! :)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:36 am

friday - green!

bicycling in the evening to town, it was nice, my best friend is pretty fast and good on the uphills so it was a nice exercise... we went to sing karaoke with friends... that was so much fun...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:23 pm

monday - green !!

but i have eaten a lot, felt stuffed after each of the 3 plates...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:23 pm

tuesday - green!!

bicycling around...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:39 pm

wednesday - red!!

seconds for dinner, was so hungry and my 9" plate was not enough... and a square of chocolate an hour after that...

and this is my august... worst months so far... half of it being holidays... but still maintaining beautifully and feel good about noS in general...

my august:
:arrow: 01 02 03 04 05 8)
8) 08 09 10 11 12 8)
8) 15 16 17 18 19 8)
8) 22 23 24 25 26 8)
8) 29 30 31

and the notes of failures to my august:
im in /august challenge thread/, too... although it is all red so far because i have added cola to my wine every evening, to improve the taste (i dont like croatian wine and in general i dont like to drink after food but it was social summer evening occasion every single night last 2 weeks) and to make it alcohol-lighter...

today (8th) - a biscuit after lunch...
9 - chocolate ice-cream
10, 11 - snacking while driving back home from holidays
31 - seconds for dinner... and a square of chocolate an hour after that...
Last edited by kaalii on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:02 pm

so, thursday was green!

then i took an S day for friday gathering of friends (mostly because i planned to drink some coctails with high sugar content that i was participating in making for the party, otherwise an n-day)
then my regularly ok Sweekend

but today a big red day!

Sweets - 2 cookies
Snacks - popcorn with a movie
Seconds - for dinner

:shock:

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:48 pm

tuesday - green!!

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:13 am

I'm so impressed that you're able to maintain your weight and still enjoy plenty of social eating. It shows that your metabolism is just humming along....and you also practice good NoS habits.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:32 pm

thank you, e-lyn... might be worth mentioning that many of our social gatherings dont involve food at all, some do, but not all and not necessarily tons of it... unless it is a barbecue, but then im vegetarian so barbecues are not so dangerous for me in general... plus, i never go to restaurants, for many reasons, unless for a pizza from wood oven and even that i prefer to order home... and im not much of a social eater - a slight social anxiety shows itself in my case as extreme appetite killer... but then it often happens that i get hungry later, when i relax a bit more... and when all the food is eaten... :D

yes i have always had great metabolism... i feel it slowed down a bit with age, in my mid 30s, but in general it is still very good...
however, i might have gotten a kilo in the last weeks.. havent weighed myself but feels like it...
in any case, for me every weight in the upper 50s kilos range feels good... bmi of 19-21... and my focus is more on the body fat percentage now...

so wednesday - green!
swimming - an hour of it with pauses to catch my breath... i pushed it to do it kind of HIIT style... and to make it more interesting... now i feel all my muscles humming "thank you and we are there for you"... <3

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:22 pm

thursday - green!!

more generous meals than usually, lately... im hungry, probably because eating more carbs... but having green days is important because it still feels im recovering from the holidays, habit wise... lets see if i can have 21 days again...
becaue then the 3 weeks trip to italy again...

sg, later...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:54 pm

oh and did forest walk/jog before the sg...
beautiful day to miss the forest visit...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:27 pm

friday - green!!

a bike ride and hike up a small canyon 10min. ride from where we live... with my best friend and son...
later sg...
and maybe another night bike ride with my best friend if we decide to go out a bit...
the weather is just perfect...

oh, and measuring this morning showed - the weight is back to 19.5 BMI but the body fat percentage stayed the same... i have gained some muscle...
i see it and i feel it... awesome!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:12 am

Awesome news and so great you're fitting in fun activity in to your day!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:00 pm

yes... it has to be either fun or practical... otherwise id have such a hard time of keep being active...

oh, and im also so happy it is monday and Ndays again... i felt so stuffed this Sweekend... had pizza on both days...
plus 2 regular plates of food each day
plus butter popcorn
plus one ice cream
plus 2x almods snacks
plus couple of bites off a friend's delicious sandwitch

i really dont like that stuffed feeling at all any more... but this Sweekend didnt stop myself before it was finished...

and monday - green!

actually, today only 2 plates...
i was still feeling full from the weekend... :shock:

bike ride to town and back this morning...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:33 pm

tuesday - green!!

at work a lot of moving and playing and jumping with the kids... no strength for more...
so great to have my son in the same school... just to get to see him every once in a while throughout the day...

we got guests from norway... going to take them around town a bit... but they are fun and low maintenance, their presence is not putting me so much off balance...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:43 pm

wednesday - red!!

had a snack while at the lake at the beach whole afternoon with my son and the guests...

some bread and cheese and couple of chips...

biking around the city a lot...
swimming and jumping into the lake from the swinging rope tied to a tree... wow, that was so much fun for all of us...
and i can feel my muscles almost hurting...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:17 am

thursday - green!!

yep, both me and my guests have muscle pain from lots of jumping to the lake from the swinging rope on wednesday... and it didnt even feel like workout at all...
importance of fun in exercise...
and pause today...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:27 pm

friday - sick green!

it is dinner time and i have only had one meal so far and lots of herbal tea... feeling a bit sick and in bed mostly... a bit nauseous, too... dont feel hungry at all...

the guests are so nice and cooking a dinner for us... so i will make myself eat at least a bit...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:58 am

Oh no being sick with guests is tough! Feel better!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:27 pm

I hope you feel better soon.
hug x

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:26 pm

thank you linda and rawcookie!!

i feel a bit better, i had loooots of rest and sleep on friday... just did laundry (one machine only), basic shopping and lunch...

as planned, i drove the guests to a museum and a castle in gruyères, about 100km from here... i didnt taste nor buy the gruyere cheese there - it was pretty expensive and i can get all those good kinds and others when i want, actually... and my stomack felt irritated...
today i didnt eat much... each of the 3 meals was a variation of toasted cheese sandwitch with raw veggies and veggie spread, prepared before our little trip... in gruyères i also had an ovomaltine cocoa and a square of white chocolate that they served with it in the bar... and litteraly a couple of chips our guests bought for the drive, but they were spicy so i passed...
i thought i was going to eat again when i came back home, but i just collapsed in bed... now i want a warm broth or soup, im sick of herbal teas.. but feel a bit weak to go and make it... wish my bf was here... :(

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:19 pm

again, just 2 meals so far but i feel my appetite is getting better so i might eat again before i go to sleep...
friends passed and brought their homemade honey for my throat... so nice!

i havent moved enough these days really so im feeling id love to do some sg... but a session of yoga might be a better idea, because i still feel a bit weak and i can adapt yoga exercises with better skill than sg, where im still a beginner...

sad to have "wasted" S days on being sick... :(

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:08 pm

monday - red!!

had 2 beignets balls at work... a colleague was making them with a group of children for 4 o'clock snack for all of us...
the whole school was smelling so good and i wouldnt nor couldnt resist that treat... :)

besides normal work activities, we are bringing the borrowed bikes for norwegian guests back to the owners... and walking back...

but normal work activities today included teaching the new kids an old game i grew up on - game with elastic... back in croatia we used to call it gumi-gumi... not sure what english word for it is... so yeah, i was jumping quite a bit today, and high, haha... loved it...

here's the internet pic of that game:

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:11 pm

tuesday - green!!

active day and more of the gumi-gumi at work... but no additional exercise...

last days before another 3 weeks holidays and trip to italy... on friday...
can't wait!
bringing my sg again!

this time around there will be less roadtrips, no camping... i will do most of the cooking so it will be pretty easy to keep it green, i think...
the plan is, like inthe summer - to start every days as an Nday...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:32 pm

wednesday - green!!

lots of swimming before and during my son's training...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:21 pm

checking in from holidays in italy...
not bad at all although friday and yesterday were red days... gelato on friday and a snack yesterday...
the weight didnt move so far... but let's see when i remember to weigh...

i havent done proper exercise but went skateboarding with my son on 2 occasions and lots of walking and playing badminton on the sunday spent at the motocross track...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:49 am

wednesday - green!!

scale shows i even lost one kilo... but that is all in the fluctuations range...
nice to know that another relatively bad month habit wise is still keeping me stable in maintenance... with all the travelling, parties... not bad at all... noS really rules!

yesterday we were teaching my 11 yo to drive in a big empty parking lot... just the basics but a milestone for my heart to see him behind the wheel, learning so well... so nice.. and then he had his 2nd in life decaf cappucino... my big boy!
but no exercise-like activities...
today we are going to visit some caves nearby or hiking...

im having some relationship issues and i have to say that having noS as an anchor for loving myself and taking good care of my needs is so reassuring...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:28 pm

thursday - green!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:29 am

Sorry to hear you're having relationship issues. I'm glad you have your habits as an anchor though.

Hope things are better soon!

Linda

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:13 am

oh, thank you, linda! :)
yes, more and more im starting to see noS as an anchor... as a type of practical self-love and self-care...
no possibility to not get enough food if i lose my appetite (i tend to get that when im not feeling good) nor have too much (usually if im in some sort of denial about not feeling good)...
but it doesnt take up my energy nor time, like calorie counting does, - and makes me actually available to the issue at hand...
especially all this happening now, while in italy on holidays...
oh, how i miss the years of being single in times like these... i am so happy when single... truly and deeply happy... and then i fell in love... :roll: :D

friday - green!!

looking forward to a moderate hike to a bronze age archaeological site...
and gelatoooo!!

and this was my september... hope to make it better in october, but holidays are more than one-third of it so going for the good enough... it seems to be working for my maintenance as well as sanity so - it is ok...

:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow: :arrow: 01 8) 8)
8) 05 06 07 08 09 8)
8) 12 13 14 15 16 8)
8) 19 20 21 22 23 8)
8) 26 27 28 29 30 8)

-taking an S day on friday, the 2nd... there will be a big gathering of friends, costumes and all, and i want to drink a sugary coctail or two...
-5th - all 3 S's - 2 cookies, popcorn, seconds for dinner... :shock:
-14th - snack/half a meal: bread and cheese and some chips
-19th - 2 beignet balls at work
-23rd - gelato in italy
-27th - snack, a toast with mayo and tomatoes

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:38 pm

Oof relationship issues. Must be something in the air, because it's been odd in my current relationship lately, too.

As for your red days...if I were in Italy, I would have thrown it all to the wind and eaten ALL THE FOOD...not just a gelato :) I'd say you did real good.

Sorry you're going thru the stress of relationship issues...fight for it, it's worth it. Right?

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:27 am

oh, bunsofaluminium, sad to hear you have relationship issues nowadays, too... true, there is something in the air lately... worse things, couples even breaking up... some of them nastily... ah... yes, it is workth the fight and the biggest part of the fight is finding peace... :D whatever outcome comes from there - it is good for everyone involved... my failed marriage but great friendship with my son's father taught me that...
it is already a bit better between me and my bf... but let's see... ups and downs to smooth out a bit more...
and italy, oh yes, it is heaven... but im often here, either passing through on my way from switzerland to croatia or visiting... next time i absolutely have to put sardinia in our schedule... so weird i havent visited it yet...
gelato stands out because it is a sweet that i take on nonS day sometimes... other food and quantities are actually perfectly doable for noS... but, oh yessss, the awesome parmiggianas, crescentinas, piadinas, pizzas, pestos, artisanal raviolis, carbonaras... besides being taken to 2 best artisanal gelato places i have also been taken to sublime crescentina place in a hut by the river, outside of bologna... although you have a feeling you can eat them all day - those things really keep you so full for such a long time and dont give me my usual after-carb sugar collapse of energy and ravenous hunger... weird... maybe because it is pretty fat, too...

so, nice weekend... and green monday...
some beautiful nature visits... not doing much exercise proper...
however weight still stable... always around 58kg, 19.2 BMI... i dont have my calipers with me to check a bit my body fat percentage but it feels stable, too...
Last edited by kaalii on Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:44 pm

How do you compare ice cream in Italy and Croatia? My colleagues went into a heated debate someday, arguing that both nations make equally good gelato, and Italy shouldn't be put first in this category. I'm not big on ice cream (and never been to Italy), so I couldn't really chime in. Curious about your (insider's) opinion!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:24 pm

oh, i find italian gelato (especially around bologna area) waaay better...
uncomparably better...

i actually find croatian ice-cream, even at very good ice-cream shops, the same as in good ice-cream shops in switzerland, germany even spain... croatia never had its proper ice-cream tradition... what we have there is mostly developed by albanian families holding ice-cream and pastry shops... which, we hear, they learned from italians, actually, during the 2ww occupation and after...

they are actually different styles of ice-creams...

but italian artisanal cremerias live up to their reputation...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:32 pm

my son also agrees... in croatia he even prefers one specific brand from the commercial store than going to "slasticarna"...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:13 am

tuesday - green!!

2 meals, only

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:50 pm

wednesday - green!!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:45 am

thursday - green!

forgot the keys and locked us out of the house after shopping and, while waiting for my bf to bring the spare set of keys, took my son to the ice-cream shop... wasnt even tempted to take a gelato...actually i felt that sugar would make me nervous... so we took the ice-cream and went outside to skateboard... boy, im hopeless on my son's skateboard :D - but gets me moving, breathing and smiling...

also, watched recently "the meddler" with susan sarandon... great movie!! funny and touching! susan is amazing, as usual... there is a scene in that movie (sorry cant find the clip online) where she is making egg-in-the-basket and eats it with so much pleasure... so for the past 2 days i have been having fun with it...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:32 am

friday was - green!

weekend, only some cookies on saturday...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:24 am

monday - green!!

last day of holidays in italy...
weight stable at 58kg/19.2 bmi...

tomorrow driving back home might be a red day, but i will try to plan out to make it green, nevertheless... just have to make some structure out of it...
im happy to have managed to keep these holidays surprisingly green... and how much easier it was than during the summer holidays...

looking fwd to the walks/jogs in my forest... and shovelglowing... and my job that makes me move... miss that... i have fallen a bit into less movement than im used to... but im glad i rested well, besides seeing some nice places and people...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:51 pm

so tuesday was green!
but today was red!

i took 6-7 spicy pringles during the drive back home from italy this morning... they were too spicy for my taste and i even gave the last one back to my son... but worth noting and moving on... no permasnacking nor particular wish to do it although the food box was nex to me during the whole trip...
as many of you have remarked already - red doesn't have to mean failure, too!
if anything, sometimes it feels more close to success! :D

ModBod

Post by ModBod » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:38 pm

I totally know what you mean about red not always feeling like failure, but actually you see all the progress you're making :D
I'm looking to lose about 12lbs...
31.09: 65.7kg/144.8lbs, BMI-25.7!
14.10: 64.9kg/143lbs, BMI - 25.4!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:43 pm

yes, modbod, yesterday didnt feel red at all... but i would
like to be able to complete again the 21 day challenge... i did
it once in the beginning... got close to it once, maybe twice...
but not more... it is ok... today i start again to try it, haha...

measure morning revealed 58kg/19.2 bmi and 19.7% body fat...
slight down on the scale and up in the body fat departement
since the last month...
that is pretty stable considering almost 3 weeks holidays
in bella italia with all the delicious food and a bit less moving
than when im working...

soon it will be 1 year that i have reached my goal weight and then
2 kg more after...
but my body fat percentage went down further and
stabilised since noS discovery in april... that is such a great
thing to see and feel!! besides all the psychological benefits
of noS sanity about food...
maintenance and sanity!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:22 pm

...and also, thursday - green!!

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:33 pm

that's good news about your body fat percentage going down! wonderful!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:12 pm

yes, that is truly amazing!

friday - green!

speed walk in the forest alongside my son who was on the bike...
the autumn is here, it is beautiful, foggy...
felt like in a tolkien story...
except for seeing the forest management have cut some trees
and a notice that on monday will be a hunt day, like a year ago...
killing off some of the deer population, i think... :(

best friend coming over tonight... missed her during the holidays,
especailly when feeling bad in my relationship... how much i needed her
as a "mirror", compasionate ear... now i feel much
better in it (due a lot to the work of byron katie
that is with me as a DIY psychotherapy and mental hygiene
for over 10 years on-off...
and a lot of cathartic conversations with my partner during our
italian holidays, he is so gentle and kind... im so lucky!)
but she seems not to be fine... i'm glad to be there for her...
and im happy knowing she is there for me...
(female) friendships are so precious!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:15 am

I love reading your descriptions of things. Sad about the deers but glad you're enjoying the weather. It was 95 degrees today. I cannot wait till things cool down.

So happy your friend is coming! I miss having a best friend. Enjoy your time with her.

Linda

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:30 pm

thank you, linda! in times when i didnt have the best friend after the move
to switzeland (while the "bestness" was in the making... :D) less than
best friends were good too... :) and that was precisely the time when i needed
to have the best friend the most in my life... funny how it goes sometimes...

i came to write something down that is spinning in my head since this morning...
im puzzled with my relationship to sweets... i dont eat them much...
never had regularity of eating them... dont like desserts, they feel like
they spoil the aftertaste of my meals and cofuse my sense
of satiety... but with noS most of my reds
are sweets... while, at the same time, on many Sweekends i havent
eaten anything sweet at all... without trying, really... but seems like
i have no real control over it... part of me doesnt like it, not to have control...
so, last night i actually dreamt about being in belgium and choosing
between 2 gaufrette-sandwich cream filled cake (never seen such a
thing in real life but looked delicious, even though industrial, not even
home-made)... when i woke up i still wanted it and was happy to go
to the shop and buy it... but the time went on and in the meantime
my son's father and his friend came over for a lunch... so by the time
i got to the shop i lost the will for my sweet treat... i thought of buying
something nice ,anyway... but havent found absolutely anything that
was remotely tempting... my favourite strawberry cake was gone... the
rest was boring and some even looked borderline disgusting... i told myself
to take something, anyway... and while choosing - all the overthinking
about it made me really lose my will to take anything... it felt like
forcing myself almost...
what im trying to say, i guess, for me there has to be some spontaneity
about eating sweets... otherwise, with noS, i might end up stopping eating them
altogether... which is not a tragedy... but not something i want... in moderation but
never to stop... but instead of modifying anything, im just going
to allow those Sweet reds to appear as they did so far... in moderation
but not under control... and mark that as red, of course...
i might learn something more about myself...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:52 pm

monday - green!!

today i prepared our first sloppy joes ever... never even heard of it
untill recently...vegetarian version with
minced quorn... and cucumber sticks on the side... wow, delicious!

raining and the hunt thing in my forest happening so i didnt go for a arun...
but planning to do the 5 tibetan rites that i discovered here on
whosonfirst's daily check-in... how energizing, even though im not yet
able to do 21 repetitions, but close...
true "fountain of youth", as they call it!

linking the video here on my thread for future reference, if needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJElLrpBetc

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:28 pm

i wanted to add why i feel that 5 tibetan rites feel truly like a "fountain of youth" exercises to me:
they target core and back strenth and flexibility... toning the arms and legs as a side bonus... but also upper back and neck...
all crucial for general movement vitality as well as really good posture correction...
and, coming from contemporary dance, theatre and flow arts background - this is where i see the age effects on people - not wrinkles, not even midsection expansion so much as the posture starting to act and look fixed: the head is falling forward, neck is "shortened" and shoulders "heavier"...
of course, no matter the age, this is all influenced by weaker core... however, i notice that even some stronger people, as they age, get more rigid in the shoulder and neck area... so, the upper torso and neck is also important to be worked on in order to liberate the range and vitality of movement that give that truly youthfull quality of movement...
not to mention that the actual bloodflow, not only to the heart and organs, but also to the brain - is improved...

it is like the essential oil made of yoga... if yoga was a flower! :)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:38 pm

tuesday - green!!

walked loads today... in the city a bit... and 2 (4) times to-from work... plenty of times up and down the stairs...

feeling a bit the muscles from the 5 tibetans video last night...
im so close to doing the whole set of 21 reps!!! the 2nd rite was where i rested the last couple of reps...

tonight i plan to do it again...

i work a bit longer now and the days are significantly shorter... so no time to go to the forest after work...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:05 pm

last night my son joined me in 5 tibetans... it was fun... and i managed to do all 21 of them...
today i did them earlier... didnt do all 21 reps of rite 1 (legs and head up)... but the rest yes...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:03 pm

...and wednesday - green!!

maybe i do the 5 tibetans again...

i like to do some exercise 2-3-4 hours before sleep, i have never had problems with that... doing them in the morning is more problematic for me... oh, how i used to hate the rehearsals in the morning... luckily for me they were mostly in the afternoon/evening...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:33 pm

thursday - green!!

did my 5 tibetans yesterday...
and today speedwalking in my forest... gosh, they are cutting more and more trees... i suspect this is just forest management that i know little about and im probably too sentimantal but i liked it more wild looking...
and, off course, no havent seen any deers... :(

plan to do the 5 tibetans once the dinner settles...
oh, and had 2 nice big plates only, today... no time for 3rd one... so maybe, if i feel like it, i will have coconut milk-cocoa-protein drink after the tibetans...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:47 am

So sad about the trees. :/

Glad you're enjoying the Tibetan exercises. I keep thinking I should try them but have been feeling lazy these days. All I can manage is a couple short walks with the dogs and only because it makes them so dang happy.

Linda

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:56 am

oh, do try the tibetans... even only 3 reps, when you get the chance... it is not even a week im doing it and i feel sooo energized...
im an atheist, so im sure there is reason for it perfectly explainable by psychology, biology and maybe even quantum physics, but i'll allow myself to put it like the woman in the video did - im basking in the fountain of youth! 8) :D

me, i cant wait to get a dog again... probably the only thing that makes me happy about having to move from this house in the spring...

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:22 pm

kaalii wrote:oh, do try the tibetans... even only 3 reps, when you get the chance... it is not even a week im doing it and i feel sooo energized...
im an atheist, so im sure there is reason for it perfectly explainable by psychology, biology and maybe even quantum physics, but i'll allow myself to put it like the woman in the video did - im basking in the fountain of youth! 8) :D

me, i cant wait to get a dog again... probably the only thing that makes me happy about having to move from this house in the spring...
Sounds like I should have started doing the Five Tibetans a long time ago. But I am enjoying them.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:07 pm

I used to do the Tibetan exercises, gosh, in high school? I was on some New Age kick then. They must have worked, though, people keep asking me when I graduate! :lol:

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:17 pm

awesome, imogen! :) i remember, the last time i got asked for ID when buying alcohol was exaclty on my 30th bday, in switzerland you have to be 18 to be able to buy it... and 30 was a weird, scary number for me, if only i knew that im about to enter the best decade of my life so far, haha... normally i used to be upset for being asked to show the ID and being bothered... but that day i told the lady - "you just made my day!" :D

whosonfirst, luckily it is never too late... soon we will be fit as if we were 25... 8) :lol:

friday - green!
actually only one meal... just had too much to do and go around... so i totally forgot to eat in the evening when i went to help some friends build the stage for a small concert venue in their basement... i loved working there with powertools, wooden pallets, drills, measuring, holding heavy objects... and having fun over some beers...

making up for it today a bit but im not ravenous...

swimming during my son's swimming training, pretty intense breaststroke, 45min...
bicycling 30min to and from friends' place...
and well, the "men work", building the stage... :lol:

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:03 pm

nice Sweekend... overate a bit on saturday... but nothing horrendous... just that pain of being too full that hurts more now that im not used to it...

my son actually came to ask to do the 5 tibetans together again... so nice that he likes it and to have smone that motivated me...
i like that physical culture is a way of bonding in our family...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:45 pm

So cute your son asked to do the exercises with you. How old is he? (My girls are 11 & 13).

I'm going to give the exercises a try this week!

Linda

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:21 pm

kaalii wrote:nice Sweekend... overate a bit on saturday... but nothing horrendous... just that pain of being too full that hurts more now that im not used to it.
It's interesting, isn't it? I sometimes feel quite 'sad' that I can't eat as much as I used to! I even stopped half-way through my banana at lunch-time because I felt 'full'. It's good that our body can now give us clear signals that we've over-eaten!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:10 pm

linda, he is 11, like your younger daughter... such a nice and fun person to have around... let's see when the puberty hits...
today he asked me to let him roll some of the rice-paper spring rolls i made for dinner... and to call him when i want to do the tibetans...

oh, great that you will try them, too!! i can already see how it is influencing my posture... i feel like i look taller and even thinner with the same weight...(but also, i have lost again some body fat, but not updating the signature untill the end of the week or so)...

rawcookie, this is what my mum's generation was calling "your stomach has shrunk"... :lol: it really does feel like that... and yes, there are moments that im also almost sad about it... :lol:

monday - green!!

again, 2 plates... im taking my protein-coconut milk-cocoa-honey drink later if i feel like it...

and 5 tibetans...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:51 pm

tuesday - green!!

i didnt have that protein drink last night, afer the tibetans... just didnt feel like it... but i had an earlier breakfast this morning because i was hungry... it seems that my intuition that i will start eating 2 plates a day in (approximately) my 50s, in 10-15 years, might start sloooowly to take its roots now...
lately, i just had days when 2 richer plates are enough... the next day i for sure want my 3 plates, most of the days... but having occasional (weekly or bi-weekly) 2-plate-day could be the start of adapting/transitioning to age-related slowing down of the metabolism...
let's see...

very active day at work...
later 5 tibetans...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:17 pm

wednesday - green!!

forest walk/jog
5 tibetans later

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:47 am

Glad to see you are still here and doing so good!

I would really like to be as active as you are, it is great that you get so much activity. I am still pretty slothful at the moment.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:16 pm

thanks, pinkhippie!
ah, it is easy for me to be active because of my job and circumstances... but true, i have partly created those cirumstances for myself... and by far most of the people i hang around with are active and fit people... not gym freaks nor doing particular sports and exercises as much as just being active... it is a bit contagious...
but i do have my inner sloth, too... :D

thursday - green!!

i was too tired last night to do the tibetans so i did them this morning before going to work - kindof craved to do them... :shock:

so, i'll make the 5 tibetans later - i still prefer them in the evening... it think it is because of more time to enjoy the effects of how my body feels after them...
edit: ...and then i didnt make them... i fell asleep! :D

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:48 pm

friday - green!!

-parked the van 15min. fast walk from the swimming pool building... much cheaper parking place and added 30min. of walking... we were even a bit late for my son's swimming class so we were running a part of the way... sweet!
-pretty intense breaststroke and some crawl swimming for 30-40min...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:59 pm

You're doing great and I love how you figure out how to fit in exercise throughout your day. So smart! :)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:08 pm

for me october Ndays are over... halloween...
kaalii wrote:also hoping for less reds in october... although 1/3 of it will still be on holidays in italy... hard one, but if i can somehow do it there, i can do it anywhere... :D
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: 8)
8) 03 04 05 06 07 8)
8) 10 11 12 13 14 8)
8) 17 18 19 20 21 8)
8) 24 25 26 27 28 8)
8) 8)

12.10. - snack (6-7 pringles) during the drive back home from italy...gave the last one back to my son...
31.10. - Sday! halloween!! my favourite holiday!!
one red day! so far the most green months for me... considering that i have been on holidays in italy a big part of it and having some rough times in my relationship - wow, im actually quite surprised!! :)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:18 pm

thank you, linda! :)
im smtms taking opportunity of writing those things down here to re-affirm the ways of thinking/doing that are beneficial to me...
and maybe to inspire, who knows... :)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:18 am

Looks like a great month!

My inner sloth wants to rule the day for sure! I do have an active job but I work only 3 days a week. At least its something! :)

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:37 pm

LOVE you & your son walk/running to swimming lessons (:

I'm really seeing that it is all the little stuff, walks, steps, just moving that makes the biggest difference!!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:41 pm

thanks, pinkhippie and jen1974!!

having lovely long Sweekend...
took an ice-cream for breakfast on saturday... it was delicious but almost got sick from it how hard it was on my stomach... really dont know why i had it so early... :roll:
and that was it, so far... expecting some sweets tonight for halloween... open to the idea but might not be into it by the time..

danced a looot this saturday... my muscles even ache... it was so much fun...

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:54 pm

I love dancing! Before kids my husband and I used to go out dancing a lot. Sounds like a good S weekend!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:03 pm

dancing is still my favourite way to move...
i also do it less in the last years... but i wanna dance till i die... :D

halloween was sane, food-wise... in the end i just had 2 cubes of chocolate as an extra... didnt fancy anything else...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:36 pm

tuesday - green!!

still feeling the muscles from the weekend dancing (forest, bike riding...) so i have been resting, besides work activities and walking...
but tonight im doing the 5 tibetans...

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:35 am

I keep trying to do dancing as a work out but it doesn't seem to stick for me. I really need to be out among people and large sound systems to really feel it. :)

Awesome Halloween you had! I hope mine next year is more sane. Congratulations on the green day! And thanks for the support over in my check in thread, it really does help.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:30 am

pinkhippie wrote:I keep trying to do dancing as a work out but it doesn't seem to stick for me. I really need to be out among people and large sound systems to really feel it. :)
i hear you! dancing is so much more fun with people, i could never dance for hours and hours alone... hey, have you heard of "5rythms" dancing or "movement medicine"? those are improvisational dance events/classes that are fun and involve no steps, no body type requirements, age requirements... just enjoyment of pure dance... and at the same time it is not "going out" to dance where you need your crew of friends or your husband to be with you... i strongly reccomend it if you can find it in your area...

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:32 pm

I looked into 5rythms and its not even offered in our state. :( But, movement medicine has a book, a webinar and a CD so Im looking into that, it looks very cool! Thanks for the recommends. :)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:52 pm

glad you like it, pinkhippie! :)
dance is so much no-exercise like noS is no-diet! :)

wednesday - green!

AND this makes it 21 days on the habit!!
my first one was at the beginning of doing noS and havent been able to make it again until now!!
yesss!! this feels good!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:55 pm

kaalii wrote: AND this makes it 21 days on the habit!!
my first one was at the beginning of doing noS and havent been able to make it again until now!!
yesss!! this feels good!
Excellent! Well done Kaalii!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

ModBod

Post by ModBod » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:00 am

Very well done!!
I'm looking to lose about 12lbs...
31.09: 65.7kg/144.8lbs, BMI-25.7!
14.10: 64.9kg/143lbs, BMI - 25.4!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:34 pm

thanks rawcookie and modbod!

thursday - green!!

got my period, the plates are fuller and junkier... but still ok... :)

tomorrow is the concert im organizing... gonna be a full-on day and night... 3 bands, one from prague and 2 from switzerland... big dinner with everyone before the soundcheck... but i might end up running around without the time/focus to eat properly and end up snacking... i have to organize my thoughts about that and find the time for 2-3 normal plates...

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Congrats on your 21 days, kaalii! :)

And good luck with all the concert organizing--sounds like an exciting event! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:59 pm

Congratulations on your 21 green days! Good luck with your concert organizing! I used to do stuff like that (overnight music festivals) and it is a LOT of work! Remember to take care of yourself. :)

Quayette

Post by Quayette » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:32 pm

We have very similar starting statistics &#128522;...
Im a 37 year old woman. 1.53 m , 50.4 kg. 20.2 % body fat.
I'm just starting this NO S diet lifestyle change.

How long did it took for you to achieve that body fat%?
Do you exercise?

Has this program been easy? Is it sustainable?

Wishing it works for me...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:57 am

thanks, pinkhippie and lifeisablessing!

quayette, i arrived at my ideal weight and satisfying body fat percentage with intermittent fasting (16:8 version) and calorie counting... and had been maintaining around 5 months when i stumbled upon noS looking for something less boring for maintenance than calorie counting...
i felt like i was becoming diethead, the type of behaviour that i dreaded seeing in others and a waste of life... the first (and hopefully last) year in dieting had made me reach my goal but i didnt like what it was doing with my life and head...
discovering noS was such a relief...
i am succesfully maintaing lean BMI and even lost couple of % of body fat more than expected...

yes, im exercising... in spontaneous cycles i use walk/jog in my forest, shovelglove, swimming, 5 tibetans, yoga, dancing... but on average it is not more than 3-4 days a week... more importantly, i am also active at my work, i walk to and from there (sometimes 2 times a day), and move a lot (i easily hit 10000 steps or more on the days im working)... plus i use my bicycle in everyday life pretty often... this was always part of my lifestyle and probably the reason i was never overweight...
i am doing vanilla noS...
i shortly had a mod in which i added a nuts/dried fruits snack because vanilla noS was working TOO WELL for me, i was losing even more than i wanted... but that stabilised soon so im back to vanilla and feel and look good... :)
the most important - having back my life, which is pretty active - work, being a single mum, travels at least 3-4 times a year, active social life - i dont have to waste my energy on thinking of food any more... within noS framework i eat what i want and/or what is available... 3 (9-inch, mostly) plates a day... i feel better if i eat a bit more protein and less carbs but that is just a tendency, not a rule... my Sdays are pleasurable... im relaxed about them but im not stupid... ;) i fail regularly (have red days) but that is always smthng small and doesnt affect the succes at all...

im glad you discovered noS... i have only the best experiences with it... it feels so sane and so natural... socially friendly, too... i wish you all the best with it! :)

and my weekend was great...
friday was - green!! even with concert organizing!
the band on tour was late and i was so worried for a moment that something had happened to them on the road... but it all turned good and we were not even late to start...
one of the plates, well much less than a plate, was peanuts and salty sticks from the bar... i had no time for a proper meal that moment but i took it in a plastic cup and ate in one go, so im counting it as a funny meal not a snack... the 2 other plates were way more balanced and satisflying...
i had a great team of friends helping me... and we managed to pay the bands decently... i did have to "babysit" some of the drunkish bandmembers till late... that was also funny but i was tired to get up early and serve the breakfast for the band that had to leave early because they are on tour... but all worth it and lots of fun...
saturday and sunday - quiet days at home... forgot to buy an ice-cream as a treat (as i planned it) so 2 homemade jam sandwitches were my treats... also nice... and ordered pizza and ice-tea (i hardly ever drink sugary drinks)...
all good... :)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:58 pm

monday - green!!

felt hungry today, weird... my period is almost finished...
and tempted with the cupcakes the kids had made today at work...
but didnt have one... :)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Sounds like a great weekend!

Good job resisting the cupcakes! What is your work if you don't mind me asking?

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:37 pm

it is called école à journée continue or tageschule...
it is like a daycare for primary school children (in ch this is from 4-12yo)... a program almost every primary school in switzerland has, but not obligatory and paid (yes, even though it is part of the public school system it is not free)... the kids come to our school early in the morning before regular school, for breakfast, then lunch and after lunch activities... and then for homework and afternoon activities depending on their afternoon schedule at obligatory school... basically, a place of quality care for school children while their parents are at work...
although im doing some visual arts projects with them, my main focus is on physical culture/education and outdoor activities...
i loooove my job! :D
(plus, in switzerland this also means often and plenty of holidays and more than decent pay...)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:47 pm

kaalii wrote:it is called école à journée continue or tageschule...
it is like a daycare for primary school children (in ch this is from 4-12yo)... a program almost every primary school in switzerland has, but not obligatory and paid (yes, even though it is part of the public school system it is not free)... the kids come to our school early in the morning before regular school, for breakfast, then lunch and after lunch activities... and then for homework and afternoon activities depending on their afternoon schedule at obligatory school... basically, a place of quality care for school children while their parents are at work...
although im doing some visual arts projects with them, my main focus is on physical culture/education and outdoor activities...
i loooove my job! :D
(plus, in switzerland this also means often and plenty of holidays and more than decent pay...)
That sounds cool! We have after school care here in the U.S. but not before school, lunch and after school. I was a preschool teacher ( ages 3-4) and although I absolutely loved the kids, it was a very underpaid job and it seems every director is always cutting corners to save money in a way that is either illegal or not in the best interest of the kids. Now I am a hostess at a restaurant and I make way more pay for doing so much LESS. It is sad and I definitely miss working with kids but haven't been able to find a good environment that pays decently to do it in. Your job situation sounds great! :)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:54 am

oh, i know, pinkhippie, so sad that education and childcare systems are so underpaid... it is the same in europe except for the scandinavian countries and switzerland...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:10 pm

tuesday - green!

5 tibetans before work...

snoooow here! so nice! love it!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:25 pm

wednesday - red!!

my mum sent us a package from croatia full of our favourite sweets and treats from there! so yes, of course i failed today! 8) :D
biscuits, chips, cookies, candies, flips...
one had my name on it written "for mum" :D so i had some chocolate "napolitanke"... nothing says "i love you" like "napolitanke" biscuits/wafers with chocolate filling...
and i took a handfull of chips from my son's bag...

27 day streak of succes is broken...tomorrow is a start into a new one! :)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:11 pm

no time to check-in much in the past days... bf is sick and staying with us... less activity except work and swimming...
ok Sweekend but couple of more fails with mum's biscuits on friday and delicious apple pie dessert at work today...

really want to go ice-skating this week...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:10 pm

two more failures this week... :roll:
wednesday i had some chocolate and yesterday 2 pbj sandwiches (Sweet) and popcorn while watching a movie...

exercise included some 5 tibetans, cycling and swimming... aaand a super fun night out rollerskating-disco... :lol: