NoName trouble

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Sahd

NoName trouble

Post by Sahd » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:47 am

Hi. I'm a newbie at SG and I already need help... :roll:

First off, my upper body is, well, challenged. Okay, my whole body is challenged, but my upper body has always been weaker then my lower. It was worse before I rowed crew in college, but that was back in the days of the dinosaurs.

Second, I've managed to get into an aerobic routine (30-45 minutes of elliptical each morning while watching DVDs) to get my weight & cholesterol down, but I wanted more. I discovered shovelglove and knew it was for me. My plan is to do SG on Mon/Wed/Fri and stick with the elliptical on the other days. I can't give up my movie habit!

Hoooookay. Anyhow, today I got my sledgehammer (10 lbs). I tried the first four routines in the plain vanilla system and the only one I can't do is NoName. I think the problem is that my wrist just isn't strong enough to keep the SG parallel to my forearm. If I get a good swing going I can do it, but I'm relying on inertia and not getting much of a workout.

One thing I tried was to go with the inertia, but then brake and hold for a beat when the SG arrived at horizontal before letting the SG go back down. My question is this: is doing this a good way to build up strength in my wrists so that eventually I can curl the SG in a more controlled way, or is there a better method to working up to good NoName form?

(I searched the archive and couldn't find any reference to this particular problem, so I'm probably the first to say that part of the initial routine is actually be *too advanced* for me...)

Any thoughts?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:25 am

"No Name" is really just a bicep curl. Forget that your shovelglove has a handle on it...just hold onto the weight end. Don't swing; raise and lower. Feel your bicep kick in.

You can do this with the handle pointing out, away from you, or with it lining up, along your arm.

Don't fret over this move. If you are doing the other moves, your biceps will naturally strengthen in the process, and you may be able to do it at another time.

Also, if the weight-with-a-handle is awkward for you in this particular move, go to a fitness store (or the fitness section of Walmart) and play with a 10-pound dumbbell for a while. Do a bunch of bicep curls with each arm, until you get a feel for the movement. Then go home and try it with the shovelglove.

Someone more experienced might have another suggestion for you. There are a lot of really helpful people here!

JWL

Post by JWL » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:47 pm

Leverage is your friend. As we used to say when playing baseball, "choke up" on the handle if need be. As said above, if need be grasp the handle just below where the weight of the sledge is, and try it that way. Then as you get stronger you can gradually move your hand back down the handle.

This movement is one of the most difficult. Hang in there, do your best, and you will get stronger.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

oldfox

Post by oldfox » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:58 pm

When I started it challenged my wrists and grip and inner forearms more than the rest.

Once they catch up, the bigger muscles will start getting worked more. It took me about 2 weeks to get the wrists up to speed but they usually get fatigued first even now. Also make sure you rest them if they are still sore from the previous session. You have a lot of connective tissues in there that heal a little slower than muscle tissue. You will make slower progress if you hurt yourself and have to take a week off! It is probably good that you are doing it one day on and off.

I like that it works the wrists and grip so well. It checks all your weak links!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:15 pm

Sahd, welcome! No Name (aka, Flip the Level) is probably the toughest move. I still only do 14 of each hand, and there is more swinging than might be desired. I'd advise either:

1) just skip it for now. The other moves do exercise these muscles, just not as directly. You'll gradually build up just by doing the other stuff.

2) do what Jan and Freakwitch said: "choke up" on the shaft or just curl the hammer head.

Let us know what you wind up doing.

Kevin

Flip the lever...

Post by Kevin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:16 pm

Sahd, I do this move with probably more "swing" than is recommended, but if you were doing it for real (say busting a bench off its supports), you'd use plenty of backswing. I really like to pretend I'm working.

So, with my 14 pound hammer I choke up on the handle about 1/2 of the way, and use my forearm to "squeeze" the handle into the side of my forearm up near my elbow, or even under my elbow a bit. I do a few without too much "swinging", say 10, then swing away for another 30 or 40, applying a burst on the upswing and allowing my forearm up to an angle of about halfway between horizontal and vertical. I do not hold in the up position. Too much stress, and not on the muscles. do lower it in a controlled fashion. Others probably feel differently. It doesn't matter: it's moving that counts, not the precise motion. If you can do 10 using a precise motion, or 30 with a bit of a swing, which is better? Will anyone ever know? All you'll know is that your stronger, your biceps are bigger, and you feel like Superman.

If you are trying to do the move without support at the back of the handle (against or under your elbow), it'll be a while before your forearms are strong enough to really work your biceps.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:54 pm

Hey Sahd! I don't do no name either... It strains my neck...
If you modify it a little you'll still be able to work your biceps.. It's not heretical if you modify any of these exercises, or even skip them...
To modify flip the lever.. just pretend your doing a curl with a dumbell and simply have your hand closer to the head of the sledge...
Good luck! Hope you have fun with SG!!! It's a blast...
Peace,
8) Deb

Sahd

Flip the leverage

Post by Sahd » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:43 pm

I'm trying my best to type although my fingers are like noodles after doing SG...

Got it in late today, but still got it in. I tried choking up on the handle for flip the lever and found I could easily keep my wrist straight with my arm. Before I tried to keep the end of the handle at my elbow and that was just too much.

I also had to cut the number of reps of the second set in half in order to end in 14 minutes but it worked out well. I feel like I got a good workout but didn't do any damage. :wink:

Feels good and I'm looking forward to continuing on my M/W/F schedule.

Thanks for all your advice!