Linda's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:11 am

Day 2: green

Break: gym rat smoothie, latte
Lunch: an apple, sf chai
Dinner: large plate of Thai food, glass of wine

Exercise: biked 7 miles

My daughter got accepted to this Arts high school that she really wanted to go to. I'm so excited for her because I feel like she'll finally be with her tribe. She has lots of friends but I know she feels very different from most ppl at her school. I think it's going to be a wonderful experience for her.

We went out to celebrate at our favorite Thai restaurant and it's usually hard to stick to one plate since we eat family style. But this time I put everything on my plate at once and stuck to that. We have lots of leftovers but feels great not to come home stuffed. Yay!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:03 am

Congratulations to you and your daughter, how wonderful!

Thai food sounds yummy, good for you for sticking to a plate and not over-stuffing!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:23 pm

Thanks so much Merry! I'm thrilled for her! &#128525;

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:37 pm

OMGOsh, a No S power couple!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:48 am

Lol oolala! Not so sure about the power part but yeah :)

Oh dear, I ate a ridiculously amount of food this weekend. Wth? I cannot tell you how happy I am tomorrow is an N day.

Had fun today though. Took my girls and some of her friends to the Art museum. My parents brought me to so many art museums when I was little and I even spent a semester abroad studying art & lit but Art really didn't speak to me till recently. I used to be able to say what I liked and why but now I just feel it in my bones. So cool!

Break: vegan muffin, chai
Lunch: blt salad, green tea latte
Snack: handful of pb pretzels
Dinner: plate of bangin shrimp, salad, latte
Dessert: entire pint of coconut gelato , truffle, couple pretzels &#128563;

Oy vey!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:15 pm

Linda--just wanted to chime in and congratulate your daughter on getting into the arts high school! We have one similar to that in our area, and it's such a wonderful resource for the students who have aptitude in the arts, so I think your daughter will absolutely thrive there--good for her!

And how wonderful that you and DH are both doing NoS! :) I was talking to a neighbor friend last week, and we were discussing weight, eating, appetite, etc. and how important it is to have familial support anytime you're doing a weight loss program. My heart always goes out to those who are essentially "going it alone" because it really makes an already challenging process even more so without any postive backing on the home front. My DH is also on a weight loss program, and I can tell you it really helps when both of us are being conscientious about food and food choices. It takes a lot of the stress away when you're both on the same page! :)

Great job at the Thai restaurant too--I have to do the same thing anytime we go out for Chinese or Japanese food lol. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:38 pm

That is so cool that you take your kids to art museums!!!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:28 am

Thank you blessing! It seems like a great fit for her and yes having dh on board has been great. He's a meal skipper so this has been good for him I think.

Thank you auto--they love going to the museum! Great to see you here btw.

Was a good day but feeling frustrated with my time management skills. I feel like I'm so busy all day but still left with not enough time to get done what I wanted. As a sahm, I feel like everything should be perfect and that I should be able to get everything done--housework, finances, hobbies, exercise, laundry, home maintenance, kids activities, homemade meals etc.

I fall into bed exhausted yet there's still piles of laundry to be done, paperwork to be filed and closets to be organized. Maybe my expectations are just too unrealistic or maybe I just need to try harder. I dunno.

Day 6 green

Break: gym rat smoothie
Lunch: beet burger, sweet potato fries, pasta salad, Apple
Dinner: turkey burger, Greek salad, Apple 1/2 glass wine

Exercise: bike 5 miles

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:15 am

Much better day. I figured out how to be more productive and fit some time in for my cake decorating. Also, I got my haircut and that always cheers me up!

Day 7 green

Break: smoothie
Lunch: veg burger, salad, Apple, latte
Dinner: burrito bowl, Apple, 1/2 glass wine

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:32 am

So much anxiety today. I just wish I could turn this brain off of mine sometimes. Wasn't a bad day though. I just worry too much.

Lunch: veg burger w guac, chips, Apple
Dinner: Asian chicken salad, piece of bread, banana

Going to weigh tomorrow.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:50 am

What a day...! Couldn't sleep last night so took a sleeping pill and woke up groggy.

Weighed myself and was disappointed. I know I shouldn't focus on the numbers & all that. I know better but what bugs me is that I had a perfect week yet no weightloss. Anyway I started feeling depressed despite my best efforts to talk myself off the ledge.

Then I went to cake decorating and like magic it took my mind off of everything. I went to lunch with my friend afterwards. Was good but sometimes I wish she'd lighten up a bit. She's intense but a good true blue friend.

Later I dropped my daughter off at her friends house and came home for a date night with dh. On the way to dinner I decided to tell him what was causing me so much anxiety. I was afraid to tell him cuz I thought he might get mad. But he didn't. He was great and supportive and reassuring and I felt like this huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. He told me not to worry that I was "bomb proof". That made me smile.

Now I get why facing your fears head on is so important. Hiding is crippling.

We had a great time talking and laughing. We ordered a ridiculous amount of sushi and drank a good amount of sake. We made friends with the owners and they treated us like royalty bringing us extra food for free. They were impressed with our willingness to try anything. We tipped generously.

Crazy how the day can start one way and end a completely different way.

-.6 lbs
Red day--oh well! whatever!

Break: toast w cream cheese, melon
Lunch: Asian salad, skinny margarita
Dinner: a lot of sushi,
Dessert: small bowl of artic freeze

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Sounds like a good day.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:48 pm

so sweet that you and your husband had a great time together!!!! Love that.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Don't let one weigh in get you down!! I weigh myself everyday & I had a 5 lb difference in between my high & low a couple of weeks ago. The funniest part was that my low came after an S day when I ate a more & my high came after a perfect day few days of eating where I was expecting ot be rewarded when I jumped on the scale, WTH!! The scale doesn't always paint an accurate picture!!

Sounds like you had one of those fails that is totally worth it yesterday (:

Have a great weekend!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Thanks whos, auto! Did end up being a good day.

Jen: thanks for the encouragement. You're right, the scale has a mind of its own sometimes.

Well I had terrible reflux yesterday so didn't eat much and spent most of the day on the couch. Ugh, it's my fault though I did everything I'm not suppose to on Friday-drank alcohol, ate spicy food, citrus, chocolate and ate too close to bedtime.

Feeling a little better today which is good because we have friends coming over and I somehow got talked into making everyone lunch.

Off to the market!

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:06 am

So sorry you have reflux. I've struggled with it off & on over the years. I guess I need to get serious about cutting out caffeine and probably take enzymes and probiotics more regularly!
Respect Moderation

noni

Post by noni » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:06 pm

I hear you about the reflux, Linda. Anytime I overdue sweets on the weekend I need to pull out the Tums.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:05 am

Thanks merry & noni! It's really no fun and I'm already on the max dose of prescription meds. :/

I'm thinking I need to cut out caffeine, alcohol and chocolate for good. Ugh! I tried skipping my tea today but ended up with huge headaches and gave in.

Dh insisted I cancel our plans yesterday so luckily I was able to rest. Feeling much better but need to find a long term solution.

Was shocked to find out how much I can actually accomplish in a day if I really get my buns in gear. Today I:

1 did 2 loads of laundry
2 made my kids breakfast & packed their lunches
3 cleaned out a kitchen drawer
4 cleaned out a shelf in my closet
5 washed & changed my girls sheets
6 did a little decluttering in daughter's room
7 make eye appt
8 made dog groomers appt
9 called landscaper
10 made pumpkin bread
11 baked a cake
12 watched a video on frosting a cake
13 made dinner
14 picked up daughter from dance
15 cleaned the kitchen and did the dishes about a zillion times today!

Okay it actually felt like I did more but not bad!

+ .2 lbs ack! No Bueno!

Lunch: veg burger on sandwich thin, banana, couple pita chips, cup of carrot soup
Dinner: chicken kebab, salad, chai latte

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:18 am

Sorry to hear you're struggling with reflux. It's so miserable! I had to stop eating fruit with my meals and that helped a lot. I can't give up the caffeine, though!

Hurray for your productive day! I know how good it feels to get things done, especially after days of low energy.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:34 pm

Holy cow, you crushed it Linda!! I'm trying to get more done in a day myself since my kids have gone back to school. Yesterday my daughter had an extra day off because she didn't need to be there for assessments & we went shopping. Today I'm so far behind because of it though ): Hope your reflux gets better. That sounds awful to have to deal with!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:40 am

Thanks elyn, I know the giving up caffeine is tough. I think I have to wean myself off very slowly.

Thanks Jen! I don't work outside of the home so I should be getting a lot done! &#128522;

My symptoms came back strong today and I'm thinking I need to get serious about getting this under control. From everything I've read I'm think I may need to try to lose more weight. I'm kind of bummed because I was feeling pretty good here but if it means getting better, it might be worth it.

Dh says I should aim for a bmi between 24-27. The crazy thing is I don't even know how much I actually weigh because I've been using my quantum scale so long but I think it's time to find out. I'm really nervous and hope it isn't too upsetting but I need to know my starting point. I think I'll need to lose another 20-30 lbs.

While I'm trying to lose weight I'm going to try to avoid all trigger foods too this should give me time to heal. I'm also going to aim for 30 mins of exercise a day plus mediation for stress release. It's a lot but I really don't want to be on meds my whole life.

Lunch: grilled chicken, rice, hummus, pita chips, latte
Dinner: vegan jerk sloppy joes w coconut spinach, sweet potato fries, salad

Exercise: rowing machine 15 mins

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:10 pm

I know that I'm a little late to the reflux problems you've been having. I'm so sorry. Has this been plaguing you for about 6 months? Or lots longer?
I really hope you can find a way to heal and then not have to be so careful about triggers -- long-term, that is. I realize right now you have to constantly watch for triggers.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:30 am

Thanks auto, yeah it's been about six months. I was doing okay with meds and watching my triggers but overdid it fri night. I've been paying for it all week. Finally feeling a little better today but hoping losing more weight (if possible) will help.

Well I weighed myself yesterday and it was better than I imagined but not as good as I hoped. I'm at 167.4. I think if I lose another 20 lbs, that may help my health issues. Not that it's so easy but it does feel different trying to lose weight for health issues rather than vanity. We shall see.

Been a super busy week and will continue to be so for next several days. Oh well. I'm having a lot of fun with my cake decorating class and am getting kind of good at it.

Yesterday I went without caffeine because of my reflux & omg I was a wreck! I was so tried and foggy. Was crazy but dang did I sleep well.

-43 lbs

Break: smoothie, fruit, small green tea latte (yay!)
Lunch: veg burger, handful bean chips, fruit w nf yogurt
Dinner: fish taco

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:33 am

lpearlmom wrote:Thanks auto, yeah it's been about six months. I was doing okay with meds and watching my triggers but overdid it fri night. I've been paying for it all week. Finally feeling a little better today but hoping losing more weight (if possible) will help.

Well I weighed myself yesterday and it was better than I imagined but not as good as I hoped. I'm at 167.4. I think if I lose another 20 lbs, that may help my health issues. Not that it's so easy but it does feel different trying to lose weight for health issues rather than vanity. We shall see.

Been a super busy week and will continue to be so for next several days. Oh well. I'm having a lot of fun with my cake decorating class and am getting kind of good at it.

Yesterday I went without caffeine because of my reflux & omg I was a wreck! I was so tried and foggy. Was crazy but dang did I sleep well.

-43 lbs

Break: smoothie, fruit, small green tea latte (yay!)
Lunch: veg burger, handful bean chips, fruit w nf yogurt
Dinner: fish taco
It does sound like we started similar. I was 208.8 when I started (and too embarrassed to post my actual weight before!). I'm hoping to get down to 145 (I'm 5'5").

Oh, about caffeine--when I switched from pop, I started drinking a carbonated water with an Effer-C pack for an energy boost mid-day. You might try it and see if it takes the edge off. I don't think it will help with caffeine addiction if you have that, but it will help with an energy boost if you feel yourself lagging. La Croix is a good seltzer water that doesn't have added sugar. Kind of an acquired taste I think, but something about "bubbles" still feels like having a treat, LOL!
Respect Moderation

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi Merry!

Yep I think I was about 210 when I started. I didn't weigh myself in the beginning but that's the last number I remember seeing. My goal is about 150 & I'm shorter than you (5'3"). I have broad shoulders and tend to be on the muscled side so don't look good too skinny. I remember when I was under 120 lbs for a brief period in college and when I gained about 5 lbs back everyone told me how much better I was looking. Skinny isn't always better!

I think I will try effer pack in the afternoon. I can't do seltzer water though as carbonation is a reflux trigger for me (what's not?!). I'm going to keep my one cup of green tea a day for now though as I'm just not ready to give up caffeine completely yet! It seems to be okay as long as I limit it to that one and have food with it.

I'm really going to try to lose this last 20 lbs because I need to try to wean myself from these ppis. In addition to trying to lose more weight, I'm going to:

1 avoid possible triggers for a week then slowly add that back 1 by one to see if they're really a problem. Triggers--chocolate, any peppers including bell, alcohol (prob ok in moderation--2-3 glasses/wk), onions, garlic, all fruit except melon, citrus

2 exercise at least 30/mins 5x/wk
3 chew thoroughly
4 don't a lot of liquid drink within 1/2 hr of meals
5 eat small portions
6 don't lie down within 3 hrs of eating
7 sleep with wedge pillow

Okay we'll see how that goes and in meantime going to wean from meds VERY slowly!

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:19 am

Sorry to hear you're still dealing with the reflux. I sure hope you're able to find some relief soon. It sounds like you have a good plan that might help you figure out where the problem areas are. I was having a horrible time until I stopped eating fruit with meals. And I've added in some fermented foods like kimchi and sauerkraut which seem to be helpful also. Not vinegar pickled stuff because I also have the same problem with apple cider vinegar as you do... unless I mix it with oil for a salad dressing.

Anyway...hope you feel better soon!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:46 am

Thank you elyn! It's frustrating for sure. I'm worried that if I don't lose more weight, I'll be suffering with this for the rest of my life and I'm just not sure I'll be able to lose more weight. Ugh!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:54 pm

I ask truly out of curiosity (though with a little bias it's useless to deny): will it be the weight loss that makes the difference or the change in eating habits that reduces the symptoms?

People who are trying to get rid of painful conditions often make changes that end up causing weight loss, too. One of the guys in my philosophy group did something I won't say much about (mostly because it's pretty extreme) to try to correct inflammation in his back. It did help a lot. He also lost 15 lbs., though he was already pretty thin and wasn't trying to lose weight. He NEVER would have made the same changes for weight loss, I don't think, and would have been content not to lose at all. And some people who use the strategies he uses don't necessarily lose. Whoever claims anyone will have predictable results from anything... well, I think you know my bias there, too.

I can't IMAGINE my mother taking me to or being interested in going to a museum. Just the luck of the draw. But we had fun other ways.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:50 am

It's the actual physical pressure of the extra weight pressing on the stomach esp people that are Apple shaped like myself. If people who eat a lot of fatty, sugary and fried food switch their diets to a healthier one to lose weight that's another added benefit because those foods can trigger reflux. I already eat a low fat moderately low sugar diet though so this doesn't apply to me.

The meds I'm on have terrible possible side effects and only mask the symptoms. Staying away from triggers is good because it can give your esophagus time to heal and your LES time to get stronger but the problem can still return when foods are added back.

For people that losing weight takes care of the problem, it can be a complete fix and previously avoided foods can even be enjoyed again with no meds. I'd be crazy not to try this approach. If neither trigger avoidance nor weight loss works than I will look at surgery but this should be a last resort. As much as I hate it when every medical problem under the sun gets blamed on being overweight, I think we need to be careful not to go too far in the other direction. Sometimes weight loss is the answer or part of it.

On that note my reflux has been really bad the last couple of days so I'm going to try an extreme elimation diet. I've had two green days and am feeling good about my ability to lose the rest of this weight. I'll try anything to feel better at this point!

We had an appraiser come to the house today because we are trying to refinance and boy did it motivate me. I cleaned my entire house & had it showcase ready in 3 hours. I think I need to pretend they're coming everyday.

I'm also really enjoying cooking so much more now that I'm learning how to cook without looking at the recipe or doing exact measurements. It's so freeing!

-2 lbs

Break: gym rat smoothie
Lunch: garden burger w avocado on sandwich thin, small bowl of yogurt w nuts, green tea latte
Dinner: piece of noodleless zucchini lasagna, green salad

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:13 am

Feeling much better today.

-42.6 lbs

Break: green smoothie
Lunch: beet & arugula salad, med green tea latte
Dinner: veggie soup, herbal tea

Exercise: 35 mins dog walking

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi Linda--just a quick check-in with you--hope that your reflux issues settle down! Glad to see that you're feeling better today! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:58 am

lpearlmom wrote:It's the actual physical pressure of the extra weight pressing on the stomach esp people that are Apple shaped like myself.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I like that, with losing weight, there's hope in other areas too!
Respect Moderation

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:13 am

Thanks Blessing--I'm trying!

Np Merry! It's the same with wearing tight clothing so break out those sweat pants. ;)

I'm feeling a little better still except for when I drink tea so I guess that's out too. Time to go completely caffeine free I guess! I have a good coffee substitute that I make with almond milk and a little bit of honey. The hard part will be dealing with the faitigue but I'll get through it.

My weight is down a couple pounds since last week so am happy about that. I hope this works!

-44.4 lbs

Break: green smoothie
Lunch: salad, green tea
Dinner: veggie soup

Exercise: 20 min dog walk

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:26 am

After reading your comment about reflux last night, I started wondering if there was another physical way to counteract that, and thought about deep breathing exercises. So, I did that last night, and then off and on throughout the day today, and I think it's going to be helpful. Tonight I googled, and there was actually a small study done on this--here's a link that mentions it and describes the exercise: http://www.refluxmd.com/relieving-gerd- ... -symptoms/
Respect Moderation

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:52 am

Awesome thank you for sharing that Merry! I found this book awhile back but was kind of dismissive of it.

Maybe I'll have to check it out. https://www.amazon.com/Acid-Reflux-Minu ... +naturally

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:43 am

hey, linda, im not sure if i have already written about it but might as well repeat it here, since you are noticing that coffee or caffeine is hurting you...

i have stopped coffe about 6 years ago for the similar reasons - my heart rate was going up due to stress at work, and the coffee wasnt helping... i realised, since there was not much i could do about the work situation at that moment - it might be helpfull to stop coffee... so i did, gradually... an it did help... i switched to decaf for a year, for the ritual/psychological substitution, and then the decaf just fell off my habits... i also noticed coffee is hurting my stomack... so much so that now, when i take a cup of coffee once or twice a year on some special occasion - i actually feel the pain/acidity every single time... :shock:
i like the smell of it even more than the taste of it but i really dont miss it...
when i stopped it i had a headache for 2 days, just as a lot of people who stop it write on the internet... not a strong one... and then one more day in the following week, not even sure if it was related to the abstinence from caffeine... that was it... but the benefits were really good...
im sure this doesnt apply to everyone, coffee actually has some benefits... but i know that for me it, unfortunately, doesnt... and it seems we are similar in that way...
i like green tea, too.. but also have to be careful about the quantities... so sad about it because im reading so many wonderful things about it, especially in the cancer prevention...
oh, well, luckily the workl of herbal infusions is vast and beautiful...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Man, I have such a hard time cutting out anything, but I so rarely feel any real difference (very quickly, anyway) when I do, either. But I also don't have very definitive problems. Lucky me? I dunno; I could stand to curtail some habits.

My sister did have good luck with the surgery. She had lost some weight in recent years; I don't think she felt it would be feasible to take off more. At least, she never mentioned it. But she was near 70 when she had the surgery.

But if you can avoid that, and solve other problems, too, so much the better.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:34 am

lpearlmom wrote:Awesome thank you for sharing that Merry! I found this book awhile back but was kind of dismissive of it.

Maybe I'll have to check it out. https://www.amazon.com/Acid-Reflux-Minu ... +naturally
Interesting, let me know if you do check it out.
Respect Moderation

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:35 am

Hi, Linda,

I hope you're able to figure out how to fix your reflux. I've had a resurgence, as of late, so I may have to do some experimenting of my own. Good luck to you!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:00 am

Merry I did get the book and it's not organized that well but Interesting and gives more in depth instructions on breathing exercises. I keep forgetting to do them of course!

Thanks Heather--things are improving a bit!

Well the last 10 days have been tough. I've eaten only fruits & veggies and seeds minus tomatoes, onions, garlic, and citrus. The hardest part though was that I also gave up caffeine. Oy!

I had four days of headaches, 2 days of total lethargy and a few fuzzy days. Its also thrown my sleep pattern off but now it's getting better. I also feel less anxious and angry. I feel pretty mellow most of the time. At first I was crashing hard around 3 o'clock but now my energy is pretty even throughout the days. I never realized how negatively caffeine was effecting me. It's a revelation.

So it was tough but worth it. I've dropped another 5 lbs and my relflux symptoms have been just about non-existent. I'm even starting to reduce my meds slightly.

I'm not sure what's made me feel better but am going to leave caffeine behind for good & continue to try to get these last 13 lbs off. I can't continue to eat like this forever though so am starting to introduce other food back into my diet. I'll try cooked onions then garlic and see how it goes. Today I couldn't take it and had to try some normal food. So far so good but my weight will probably be up a bit. It's okay. It's a process.

-47 lbs

Break: quinoa w pears & almond milk, tecchino
Lunch: pumpkin smoothie, banana, vegan muffin
Dinner: Chiptole chicken salad w guacamole no dairy or salsa

Exercise: walk 45 mins

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Ouch! but I guess when you're in "pain," the reflux, there's a lot you can do that you wouldn't do otherwise.

Keep up the GREAT work!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:59 am

Thank you oolala!

I'm fine with the no caffeine thing now which is not something I ever thought I could do but it's amazing what you can learn forgo. I do miss having a glass of wine now and then but I don't miss the hangovers or the depression that would come from those nights when I'd overdo it. There's something to say for being clearheaded.

I needed a break from eating such a sparse diet though so I ate a little more normally this weekend. No reflux though yet but will try to get back in track tomorrow.

Was a weird week. Dh & I got into a big fight and I found myself questioning all my choices. I cried all day then tried some retail therapy and spent a ridiculous amount on sunglasses. Worse part was I let the sales lady sway my choice and didn't buy the ones I really wanted. First world problems I know but I'm still annoyed.

Anyway dh & I made up and are fine but I feel like I have some soul searching to do.

I'm sure my weight will be up tomorrow but I'm determined to get to -50 lbs in the next couple of weeks. That was my original goal when starting NoS and I think that would feel really great. So I'm really going to push myself next week.

-47 lbs

Break: 1 vegan pancake, 2 veg sausage
Lunch: few bites of chow mein, 4 caramels, couple pretzels, lollipop
Dinner: small salad, couple mushroom fries, bite of lamb chop
Dessert: 2 caramels, 2 See's lollipops (. My addiction)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:16 pm

wow! congratulations on quitting coffee... you made it through a tough one, i see... so great! im glad you also feel those positive sides, especially less anxiety and anger and feeling more mellow and clearheaded... that was my experience too, when i quit it...

and im glad about finding a way to make your reflux better...and, of course, the wanted weight loss with it is a plus, too... by slowly introducing "normal" food you will be able to see what is and what is less good for you...

actually, interesting about breathing (i had no idea that there are actual techniques targeting reflux etc.) - back when my peptic ulcer would start acting up - i discovered that doing yoga style breathing from the belly really helped... i just did it intuitivelly... some sort self-taught pain management... it felt like a kind of massage and "decluttering" of the belly from the inside, by breathing with more engaged diaphragm muscle... as well as stress relief of a kind that helps in so many gastro-intestinal problems... so glad you found that book through nice people from this forum...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:10 am

Thank you kaalii! Definitely not easy eliminating so much stuff esp when I have to figure out how to cook for everyone else too. We have a diabetic, a vegetarian, a lactose intolerant, and then me with all my issues. It's a miracle dinner is ever made.

The breathing exercise is definitely an intersting idea. I've yet to commit to them though. I'm clinging to the idea that with enough weightloss, things will be greatly improved.

Maybe it's too much pressure though because I had a red day today. It's okay though. I'll get there but it may take longer than I thought.

-46.6 lbs
Break: mango smoothie, tecchino
Lunch: big salad w tuna, tea
Red moment: several melon balls, few bites of cookie dough
Dinner: tofu & mushroom stroganoff over miracle noodles, small glass wine
Red: few pieces of tofu during prep & couple bites of cookie after dinner

Exercise: 30 mins walking dogs

ModBod

Post by ModBod » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:34 pm

Keep going! You are doing so well. I hope you find some space for 'soul searching'/reflection. Time to stop and breathe is hard to come by but so necessary. Be kind to yourself!
I'm looking to lose about 12lbs...
31.09: 65.7kg/144.8lbs, BMI-25.7!
14.10: 64.9kg/143lbs, BMI - 25.4!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:30 am

Thanks so much modbod! I'm not giving up but another red day. I'll regroup tomorrow and get things rolling again though. I'll be happy to just maintain this week at this point.

The interesting thing about giving up something I thought I couldn't live without (caffeine) is that it's given me the confidence to give up other bad habits. One horrible habit I have is excessive tv watching. When I'm home alone during the day, I have it on pretty much constantly as background noise and then in the evenings I'll watch more with the girls.

I've decided to limit my watching to 1 hr/weekdays & 2 hrs/weekends. I'm also going to try to have at least 3 days/week that I watch none. Today went really well. I was able to focus better and it was so much more peaceful. Tonight we all played a game instead of watching tv. We actually used our brains--yay! I'm excited about the positive changes I've been making. Now I just need to get a green day!

Break: 1/2 muffin, nf yogurt w fruit
Lunch: veggie wrap, baked chips, Apple, small pumpkin smoothie
Dinner: egg salad sandwich on low carb bread

ModBod

Post by ModBod » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:54 am

That's so great. We are forever having battles over how much 'screens' - either TV or iPad games... it creeps up so subtly! I'm always on the look out for an everyday system that will suit the kids for this one!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:11 am

ohh, screeen time... im in the same problem, too... not sure how to go about it...
i even litterally threw out the TV from my life 20 years ago... but in the past decade computer screen took over... arggh!
im thinking of limiting it only to the evenings... but still no guts to do it...
also open to the ideas... maybe we should open a thread about it to gather different approaches?
in any case, linda, let us know how limiting it woks for you and your family... im thinking of following you in something similar... then tracking it on habitcal... hmmm...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:15 am

Hi modbod & kaalii! Glad to know I'm not alone with these struggles. For now I'm just focusing on tv. Total screen time with my kids is hard because they have their own phones , iPads ect. I find for them it's best to keep them. busy with other activities but tv is my issue.

I feel like it's the worst of the bunch because it's so passive yet so draining at the same time somehow. If used judiciously it's great. Sometimes your mind just needs to gel but it's best used in small amounts. So far so good on the 1 hr/day.

I really wanted to turn it on earlier in the day because I had a stressful teacher conference for my oldest daughter. Every teacher I talked to before this one talked about how wonderful my daughter was and how well she was doing academically. Then this teacher comments rather meanly about my daughters low-cut shirt and how she heard gossip about my daughter from her daughter and implied that my daughters behavior was somehow illicit. Now mind you my daughter has an A in this class and no behavior marks on her card but this is what the teacher chooses to focus on during our conference. My daughter has never even held another boys hand and isn't allowed to date till she's 16.

Anyway dh told me to leave it alone and take the high road. I really tried but keeping my mouth shut has never been my strong suit. I really felt like this teacher should know how much she upset me. So I wrote her an email explaining why I was upset and asking her to please handle things in a matter of fact way if she thought my daughter was breaking dress code (instead of personally attacking her character).

Ugh okay vent over...but that's what I did instead of turn on the tv. It's good. I'm enjoying the peace & quiet and hearing my own thoughts.

Anyway today was green--yay!

-46.6 lbs

Lunch: yogurt w fruit & nuts
Dinner: salad & soup

ModBod

Post by ModBod » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:47 am

Linda, that's awful. It is just horrible to feel our children are attacked. Particularly if it doesn't strike with what you know of your child, and clearly could have been handled better - as you say, is she just trying to ask your daughter to wear a different shirt or wanting to unload gossip from her own child!! So sorry. I hope you manage to resolve things in a clear way that leaves everything positive by the end.

Well done on a GREEN day. May you have a lovely day today - and as you said on my check-in, hooray that it's FRIDAY!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:28 am

Thank you modbod. It was a very upsetting conversation but the teacher did end up apologizing in an email and I managed to end things on a good note. I will be monitoring my daughters clothes before she walks out the door though from now on.

This week was a little rocky. I'm up 1/2 lb and only had one green day. I really need to get back on track next week. The good news my pants are feeling looser again and I saw an old friend today who said I looked great.

-46.6 lbs

Lunch: taco salad
Red: Frozen yogurt
Dinner: Indian food family style
Dessert: 1 lollipop

Exercise: 30 min walk

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:52 pm

I'm glad the teacher apologized. Hard stuff.
Respect Moderation

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:40 am

lpearlmom wrote:Hi modbod & kaalii! Glad to know I'm not alone with these struggles. For now I'm just focusing on tv. Total screen time with my kids is hard because they have their own phones , iPads ect. I find for them it's best to keep them. busy with other activities but tv is my issue.

I feel like it's the worst of the bunch because it's so passive yet so draining at the same time somehow. If used judiciously it's great. Sometimes your mind just needs to gel but it's best used in small amounts. So far so good on the 1 hr/day.

I really wanted to turn it on earlier in the day because I had a stressful teacher conference for my oldest daughter. Every teacher I talked to before this one talked about how wonderful my daughter was and how well she was doing academically. Then this teacher comments rather meanly about my daughters low-cut shirt and how she heard gossip about my daughter from her daughter and implied that my daughters behavior was somehow illicit. Now mind you my daughter has an A in this class and no behavior marks on her card but this is what the teacher chooses to focus on during our conference. My daughter has never even held another boys hand and isn't allowed to date till she's 16.

Anyway dh told me to leave it alone and take the high road. I really tried but keeping my mouth shut has never been my strong suit. I really felt like this teacher should know how much she upset me. So I wrote her an email explaining why I was upset and asking her to please handle things in a matter of fact way if she thought my daughter was breaking dress code (instead of personally attacking her character).

Ugh okay vent over...but that's what I did instead of turn on the tv. It's good. I'm enjoying the peace & quiet and hearing my own thoughts.

Anyway today was green--yay!

-46.6 lbs

Lunch: yogurt w fruit & nuts
Dinner: salad & soup
I agree with your approach. Tackle it head on, rather than let that stress eat you up. Funny how a lot of adults can handle unfair criticism but when it centers on children, look out. Good for you.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:30 am

True I'm a total momma bear. Don't mess with my kids. But if my kids truly mess up I want them to own it. This teachers behavior was just plain ugly though.

You're so right about heading it face on. It would have been bugging me all weekend. I'm learning to do it tactfully and without burning bridges though so that's good.

Soooo I'm feeling discouraged. Up a few pounds and ate a lot today. I really need to lose this weight for my reflux. I hope I can do this.

-44 lbs

Break: mango smoothie
Lunch: avocado & veggie sub
Snack: pumpkin smoothie, 3 caramels
Dinner: few bites of Indian food, handful pb pretzels
Dessert: 3 See's lollipops

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:23 am

You'll get there! Just keep reminding yourself, bumps in the road are normal. I know it's hard though!
Respect Moderation

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:42 am

Thanks for the encouragement Merry!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:36 pm

You'll get there Linda!! Sometimes the harder I try, the less progress I make & some weeks are just better than others!! Tomorrow's a fresh start (:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:07 pm

Tough one, Linda. Unfortunately, even when followed later by cruddy feelings, eating more at any one time can feel pretty good right then. It's so easy! I hope the line between enough and too much gets brighter and more comfortable to comply with for you soon, especially when you pay such an annoying price. :)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:24 am

Linda - just wanted to chime in with kudos on how you handled the teacher situation. I think emailing was a great idea, and seemed to bring some good resolution. But I definitely sympathize with the "Momma Bear" feeling--I've had that many a time in my kids' growing up years! :)

You're doing great with powering through your weight loss, especially when dealing with the reflux. Just keep on keepin' on--you'll get there! :)

Hope you have a wonderful week! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:28 am

Hi. Good job on handling the teacher situation. I would have been upset, too. I hear you on the reflux. :( Mine has been flaring lately, so I'm trying to focus on eating slightly smaller meals with a little less fat, to see if it will help.
Good luck to you!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:21 am

Thank you Jen, oolala, blessing & Heather!! It's so awesome to come on here and read all the supportive words.

Today went much better although I'm up another pound. I really need to stop weighing on Mondays.

I realized I'm not really all that hungry between meals and I actually miss that feeling of being so excited to finally eat. I think having that reward of food tasting so good reinforces my desire to stick to NoS. So today I decided to eat really lightly during the day and have a normal meal for dinner.

I really enjoyed it and may try it tomorrow as well. It was nice not to have to worry about food prep/clean up during the day and it felt great to be hungry for dinner. Dinner was definitely the more enjoyable but to my surprise I couldn't even finish it all. I put more on my plate than normal but I got full before I could finish. It wasn't a feeling of thinking I should stop either. I just really didn't want more. Odd.

More good news is I'm completely off my ppi meds for reflux. I've switched to taking H2 blockers but these are much safer & not as strong. Im hoping I can wean off these soon too and just take them as needed.

-43 lbs

Break: 1 Apple, herbal coffee
Lunch: 1 Apple, herbal coffee
Dinner: piece of tortilla casserole, handful of chips w guacamole, glass wine
Dessert: 1 See's lollipop (I'm allowing 1/night)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:20 pm

I think traditional societies actually eat only one major meal a day. The others can be very small affairs. The traditional French have only cafe au lait and something bread-y, but a small portion, for breakfast.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:30 am

Very cool oolala I guess that's why I lost 10 lbs while I was living in France or maybe it was all the walking. I do like the idea that I'm in alignment with an older tradition though.

I kept to the one main meal again today and I must say it makes me feel rather powerful somehow. Also, my reflux is actually starting to improve quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's related or if it's from quitting caffeine but I'm pretty thrilled. I even have been able to enjoy a small glass of wine the last couple of nights.

I'm not weighing again till Friday.

Break: herbal coffee w soy creamer & honey
Lunch: herbal coffee, an apple
Dinner: buffalo chicken salad, stuffed baked potato, glass of wine
Dessert: 1 See's lollipop

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:33 am

Today was harder sticking with the one main meal thing but I did it with the help of lots of herbal coffee that is. I feel kinda bad even posting about it here as its not exactly moderate but I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for a medical reason.

My reflux was still much better today but I feel like I might have been pushing my luck tonight. I ate spicy food, raw onions, drank a glass of wine and ate too close to bedtime. Hopefully I won't have an episode tomorrow.

Today was good otherwise except I caved on the whole tv thing. I just really missed having it on during the day while I got stuff done and decided maybe I'm trying to give up too much at once. I'll focus on getting the rest of this weight off and continuing to stay away from caffeine for now.

Wednesday is a busy day for us. My youngest has piano followed by soccer then dinner, homework, bedtime. She amazes me sometimes. She gets good grades, and works really hard at everything she does. My oldest isn't as focused or disciplined but she has great social skills and is a wonderful writer. I'm proud of myself for not trying to compare them and for accepting them just the way they are.

I notice I have more and more of these feeling proud of my parenting moments. When they were young, I spent a lot of time beating myself up for being a less than perfect parent. I think I was just overwhelmed. I wish I would have spent less time feeling guilty and more time on just enjoying them and all their craziness. Oh well.

Still no scale time today as tempting as it was.

Break: small bowl of cantaloupe, herbal coffee
Lunch: 2 apples, herbal coffee
Dinner: sw pasta salad, bowl of chicken Santa Fe, glass of wine
Dessert: 1 See's lollipop

Exercise: walk dogs 30 mins

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:19 am

so great to read about your parenting and your amazing girls!
a parent that can put him/herself in question smtms is not a bad thing, quite the contrary... but yes - being able to do that without beating ourselves up for perceived mistakes and uncertanties would bring sooooo much more time and mental space for actually enjoying these years with them that are passing so fast as they are growing into wonderful people...

hey, for the tv in the background... if i may suggest something that my mum does all her life... she actually loves to have the radio on in the background in the kitchen... even when she is here visiting in switzerland she turns it on... regardless of not understanding a word of french, german nor italian... just for the background and some music... i like the atmosphere in the kitchen when she is around... i started doing it sometimes, too...

have a nice day! and hope your reflux stays better!

ModBod

Post by ModBod » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:16 am

I agree that it's lovely to read about your parenting reflections... I've been wondering recently about how to allow my children to flourish as who they are, rather than imposing my expectations on them. I sometimes worry I have been overly controlling of my eldest - over-eager, first-time parenting - and have learned to lighten up now I'm on the third (and don't have the capacity to be so intensive!!). It's hard to get that balance of wanting the best for them, wanting to encourage them to not always take the easy route, but for that not to seem like they must earn approval or that everything is about performance/working hard rather than being themselves and discovering their own interests.

I think worrying less and just enjoying them, like you say, is probably key.

I'm glad your reflux is so much better.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:29 am

Thanks kaalii. I really get the sense that you have a joyful relationship with your child. So beautiful!

I don't think the radio will work. It's just not the same thing. I only watch it when I'm alone though. I always turn it off before anyone gets home. I'll work on it though. Little by little.

Modbod, just about every parent I know is hardest on their eldest child, myself included. I agree it's hard to find that balance. I guess we just have to help them figure out what will give them happiness and satisfication and encourage them to go for it. It sounds like your a very thoughtful, open-minded parent and you're asking all the right questions. I think that's about all we can do, right?

Today went well although I did get quite hungry in the afternoon. It's interesting to me that I don't overeat at dinner after eating so little during the day. For me it's always been the hungrier I am, the stronger my satiety signals are.

Amazingly my reflux still seems okay *knock on wood*. I'm just so happy to be off the hardcore meds. Side effects like osteoporosis & dementia are just not my cup of tea.

Break: herbal coffee w soy creamer & honey
Lunch: an apple, wedge of melon, 2 pb pretzels, herbal coffee
Dinner: leftover night: pasta salad, quinoa chips, salmon, chicken salad (it all fit on one small plate)
Dessert: 2 lollipops (living on the edge)

Exercise: 15 min walk

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:07 am

Thanks for stopping by with encouragement, Linda!

I also suffer from (undiagnosed) reflux... wine is one of the worst triggers for me.
I am also finding that perhaps peanuts is a trigger for my migraines... don't like giving things up, darn it! I guess it's a matter of balance.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:28 am

lpearlmom wrote:For me it's always been the hungrier I am, the stronger my satiety signals are.
for me, too!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:27 pm

So glad to hear your reflux has eased up recently.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:09 am

Hi Sonya! It can be tricky trying to find those triggers and so hard giving up some of our favorite stuff. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you auto!

I was soooo hungry today but I got through. I'm really looking forward to an S day tomorrow though. Dh & I are going out to dinner so I'm going to try not to eat too much during the day. Maybe a late breakfast, a snack & then dinner plus dessert.

-48.6 lbs (so close to 50 lbs!)

Break: herbal coffee
Lunch: 2 apples, 3 pb pretzels, herbal coffee
Dinner: Chipotle chicken bowl, chips
Dessert: 2 See's lollipops

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:03 pm

Ugh, I didn't know about such scary side effects of reflux meds, and my husband sometimes has to use them! But then, fighting it with diet alone takes A LOT of time... You just can't win, can you?

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:25 am

I know Imogen it's a tough call! The ppi meds are the worse like omeprazole (prisolec). H2 blockers (like Pepcid ac) aren't as strong but come with much milder side effects. I'd stick with those if possible.

I felt super nauseous last night and today but not a full blown episode yet. Although I kinda overdid it tonight so am thinking I might be miserable tomorrow.

Today was kind of crazy. We had soccer this morning and then I had to get my oldest daughter to & from babysitting and my other daughter to a costume party. Somewhere in there dh & I snuck a date night in. We went to a steakhouse in our neighborhood. Dh liked it but it was all just a bit too rich for me. The dessert was excellent though so I was happy.

So happy we don't have a lot going on tomorrow!

Break: banana
Lunch: muffin, pumpkin smoothie, yogurt, nuts
Snack: lollipop
Dinner: oysters, Caesar salad, salmon, shrimp, loaded mashed potatoes, glass wine
Dessert: butter cake w ice cream

Was so nice to eat more freely today! Hopefully I didn't gain all my weight back.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:28 pm

lpearlmom wrote: The ppi meds are the worse like omeprazole (prisolec). H2 blockers (like Pepcid ac) aren't as strong but come with much milder side effects. I'd stick with those if possible.

it is amazing - while i was using the ppis (pantoprazole, and this was not so long ago) the info was that they are basically without side effects... my doc told me so, too... even assured me becuase i am so afraid of taking medications - especially long term...
and now i read more and more the advice to stay away from them because of the side effects... :shock:
luckily, i dont need them any more and if/when i feel a bit of a stomach upset the homeopatic "meds" work perfectly (to my surprise)...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:33 am

I know kaalii, I'm so glad to be off of them. Your doctor probably wasn't lying to you. These are fairly recent findings and they were thought be safe previously. Also they have to weigh the pros & cons. Still it's scary I know.

Today was good. Hunger wasn't too bad. My mil is coming this week to watch the girls so dh & I can go away this weekend for our 18th anniversary. I'm really excited to have a little kid-free time (as much as I love them).

I need to make sure the house is spotless clean & the frig is stocked but it'll be worth it!

Break: cantaloupe, herbal coffee
Lunch: an apple, celery stalk, herbal coffee
Dinner: veggie gumbo with farro, piece of cornbread, small glass wine
Dessert: 2 lollipops

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:18 am

So exhausted. Dh didn't get home till 2:30am so he woke me up and then I ran around all day.

Then I made a big dinner. Clean-up after dinner always kicks my butt but it's so worth it. Waking up to a clean kitchen is the best.

Lotsa hunger today but I pushed through.

Lunch: herbal coffee, 2 apples, 2 chips
Dinner: 2 slices of roast beef, mashed sweet potatoes, salad

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:01 am

Lunch: an apple, herbal coffee, 10 rice chips
Dinner: roast beef sandwich, sweet potato mash, baked chips

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:46 am

Omg craziest day ever. My mil flew in today at 3pm and we were all suppose to go to a classical guitar concert at 7:30 with dinner around 6 beforehand.

Well this morning I get a call from the bank saying we HAVE to sign our paperwork TODAY or our whole refi deal could fall through. I have no idea how to get this done because dh is on call & has about a million cases lined up today. I don't even know if he's going to make it to the concert.

So I tell the notary guy to come to our house at 6 and we'll try for that. I order Indian food, touch up my make up & pour myself a glass of wine. At 6 the notary guy comes, at 6:05 dh finally walks in the door and at 6:15 the food arrives. The concert starts at 7:30 and is about 45 mins away.

We quickly sign everything & manage to scarf down some food before heading out the door. We're only about 10 mins late and they let us hurry to our seats between songs. *phew* what a day!

So tired but really enjoyed the Spanish style guitar. So passionate and playful. Tomorrow we're going to a b&b while my mil watches the kids for us. Yay yay yay!!

Break: herbal coffee, couple slices pear
Lunch: herbal coffee, Apple, 1/2 of protein bar
Dinner: plate of Indian food, 1/2 glass wine
1 lollipop

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Wow, Linda, what a day!!!! And absolutely great job keeping to your plan--good for you!!! Now, enjoy some down time with your dh and have a fantastic weekend! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:21 am

Thanks blessing! We had a fantastic weekend. We stayed at this adorable b&b, went to museums, art galleries. funky restaurants and went mountain biking on a gorgeous trail.

Fun fun and great to spend some one on one but I ate way too much! I'm kind of bummed because I was so close to the 50 lb mark. Possibly I can still get there next week.

I know--too much focus on the scale but it's been such a long journey to reach my original 50 lb goal and it feels very meaningful to me. Being overweight is just so painful in this weight prejudice society. It was amazing to be able to just throw on leggings and a tshirt this weekend and feel good about the way I looked. You have no idea how good it feels to no longer avoid mirrors and photos.

Anyway, looking forward to Monday. I don't really want to take an S day but might be hard with Halloween.

Break: baked pear w granola, eggs, cinnamon roll
"Lunch": couple bites of Indian food, 2 cookies, few bites of egg, cheese, bacon, lollipop
Dinner: Asian chicken salad, bread
Dessert: bite of fudge, small bowl of ice cream, lollipop

Ugh! My reflux has been okay but not if I keep this up!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:20 am

Feeling super down today. Feel like I just messed my life up by not sticking to friendships or career paths ugh. Then I go on Facebook and see everyone having a great time with all their friends and it's just well depressing. And to make matters worse I find myself trying to post pictures of all the fun stuff I'm doing to make it look like I have an exciting life which just makes me feel even more depressed and at the end of the day I just have my family and a couple friends and my dogs and I just feel like I don't measure up to everyone else's full & exciting social life. I feel like I should quit Facebook but then I don't want to look like a drama queen & when ppl ask me why I did it just feels awkward.

I guess I'm feeling down today because my daughter invited a bunch of her friends to go trick or treating and they all met at our house. I thought at least one of the moms would stay and go with us but not one did. Of course it's kind of my fault because I didn't invite any of them to come. I create these situations for myself because I don't want to risk rejection. It's hard. I should take a class or get a job I know but I also know that I most likely won't.

Vents over. Sorry had to get it down.

Break: cantaloupe, herbal coffee
Lunch: an apple, herbal coffee
Dinner: 2 pieces veggie pizza, chips & dip
2 lollipops

Exercise: 1 1/2 walking

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:30 am

Linda--Big cyber-hugs for you from across the country!!!

Honestly, there are times I wish that Facebook would NEVER have been created! At best, it's a way to stay connected to friends and family whom you might never see otherwise. At worst, it's a playground for bullies and narcissists who love to have the spotlight. It helps me when I start feeling "less than" by all the posts I read and pictures I see on there to realize that many times it's simply perceptions that other people want to put forth about their lives. It may or may not be the true reality. I've never boycotted Facebook entirely, but when I start getting down on it, I'll limit my following to only the few people I truly want to keep in touch with (i.e., close family and friends).

Regarding feelings of regret over paths not taken, I think it's a natural consequence of aging and looking back over your life. There will always be those feelings of "what if." Remember that you're right where you are in life for a reason, and think on the wonderful gifts you have -- your life with your husband and two lovely daughters. :)

In terms of forming friendships and the fear of rejection, sometimes it helps just to start with one or two people. I'm an introvert, and find that I prefer fewer "close" friends than many "casual" friends, if you know what I mean? You'll never find me going out with a huge group of women friends, but I'll meet up with one or two for coffee or to discuss a book. Maybe something like a coffee date to start out might work?

Hopefully, you will feel better as the day progresses. Remember, tomorrow is a new day--keep on looking forward! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Linda, I haven't had much luck meeing grown up friends. All of my friends are college or high school. Moms at the school or in my neighborhood are polite, but tend to not include me. I'm quiet & people usually think of me as stuck up instead of quiet. I have to work really hard to give off the right vibe, or everyone assumes the total wrong thing about me, but with how busy I am with family & work, I just really don't have the energy to try hard enough to get included. It usually feels a little like high school to me where I'm the one with no one to sit with at lunch (:

But because of this I get to focus on my kids while they still want to hang with us, we are all closer than most other families, & I have a great relationship with my husband. We plan our weekends with our crew, instead of making plans with friends & we've made so many great family memories because of that.

Just thought I'd let you know you're not the only one (:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Thank you Blessing! You are just so sweet to offer so much encouragement & I always appreciate your kind words. I guess your right about everyone wondering about the "what ifs". I think if I could just find a hobby or something it would help. I just always wanted to be really good at something, anything.

I agree about fb & love your idea about just keeping it to a few close friends. Luckily, I accidentally locked myself out of fb last night when signing out. It's probably for the best though at least for now.

Also, Im the same as you. I prefer having a few close friends. Unfortunately the friend I meet up regularly with is most likely moving in June (military). But yeah I'll need to make an effort to get to know some other woman.

Jen, I so appreciate your honesty. I don't really connect with the other moms either. It was easier when they were young and had play dates all the time. The moms usually stayed and it gave us time to get to know each other. Also, when we went to Montessori school it was nice because we all had a similar parenting style/values.

You are right though Jen. The upside is that we have a very close knit family and honestly they are a lot of fun. We do have a few couples we have dinner with now & then and that's always nice. Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone. It often feels like I'm the only one without a big group of close knit girlfriends. That's probably just a skewed view I get from too much fb.

Definitely feeling a little better today! Stepping on the scale to see I had finally reached the 50 lb mark definitely helped as well. At least I'm getting something right!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:58 pm

just popping by to say hi and to say how nice it is to read the supportive words for you...
big hugs and thank you for existing all! :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:36 am

Thanks kaalii!

Geesh what a day! I know part of why I'm having a hard time is because my sister bday is on Halloween and we don't really get along. I'm always stressed out about whether or not I should call her. I don't really want talk to her but feel guilty if I don't.

In the end I just texted her and then she responded with an invitation to Thanksgiving. I decided I can't keep lying every time she invites us to visit so I finally told her the truth. I told her that it's uncomfortable for me because of things she's said in the past about my husband and my daughter. I told her that I didn't want to expose them to more hurt.

So hard for me to write that but I just cannot pretend any longer. I'm dreading her response but I have to remember it's my life and I get to choose who to spend my time with and who to interact with.

Anyway life is complicated, food is easy but I still managed a green day. I reached my 50 lb goal and that feels pretty good. It's weird but it seems like ppl are treating me differently like they're really seeing me for the first time or maybe I'm just holding my head a bit higher.

-50.2 lbs woot!
Just 10 to go then I'm going to go to two (normal) meals/day and maybe try to lose a few more pounds but much more slowly. Oh and my reflux is much better. I thinks it's a combo of weight loss and quitting caffeine.

Break: cantaloupe balls, herbal coffee
Lunch: an apple, hard boiled egg
Dinner: egg salad sandwich, Caesar salad w pancetta & roasted tomatoes

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:56 pm

I admire your honesty. It takes a lot of courage to admit to our feelings, especially to family members! I had my fair share of dread when relatives started catching news about our wedding, and discovering no one besides our parents and siblings was invited... such a difficult time! Double kudos for you. Extended family is nowhere near as scary as those who are supposed to be closest to us. Hope your sister's response was thoughtful!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:46 am

Thank you so much Imogen! My sister never responded and I was feeling pretty down for a few days but in the end I rather have everything out in the open no matter what the consequences are.

Things are still doing well food wise. Dh & I are making the food for our friends wedding this weekend--250 ppl ack! Going to be a crazy week!

Break: Apple, "coffee"
Lunch: Apple, celery, couple grapes
Dinner: tri tip, cauliflower gratin, salad, chips w spinach dip, glass of wine

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:41 am

Wow what a tough day for at least half of Americans. I'm still reeling from the shock of the election results. Feels like a major setback for women today and so hard to explain to my daughters how somebody of Trump's character became president.

Sorry to any of his supporters. I do respect your right to your opinion but just needed to vent.

Today was fine but weight up a little. I need to reign in my S days but what's new. I've never been good at them.

Break: Apple, herbal coffee
Lunch: Apple, herbal coffee
Dinner: short ribs, cauliflower, couple pieces sushi, Indian pancake, glass wine

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Dh & I worked pretty much non-stop for two days making the food for our friends wedding (250 guests). Absolutely exhausting. The food came out really good but didn't do so well in the traveling and reheating. It was still good but not like when we make bbq fresh for ppl at home. I told dh "never again".

We had a lot of fun at the wedding though & my girls were super excited about going. Two things were different about that wedding than pre-weightloss events. First I wore a dress & it actually look good on me. Secondly, I let ppl take photos of me. I actually didn't feel like crying when I saw the pics although I do look tired in them (big surprise).

Anyway totally overdid it last night and Friday I took an s day so guessing my weight is way up. Oh well. I'll try to keep things moderate today. Now I need to get my house back in order.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:18 pm

Great to hear about your reaction to pictures being taken, and that you liked what you saw--it's a good feeling to be making progress towards your goal, isn't it? And wow--cooking for 250 people?!?!?!?!?! No wonder you're exhausted! I think I'd be curled up in a corner in the fetal position somewhere after all that...... :shock:
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:42 am

LifeisaBlessing wrote: And wow--cooking for 250 people?!?!?!?!?! No wonder you're exhausted! I think I'd be curled up in a corner in the fetal position somewhere after all that...... :shock:
Lol blessing! I definitely had several moments when I wanted to quit. I'm just so glad it's over and we can get back to normal. I swear my poor girls have eaten a home cooked meal all week and my kitchen definitely needs some love. Hopefully tomorrow I can get things under control. Including my eating.

A heavy day of eating. Went to baby shower which meant more cake. I feel like these last 10 lbs are going to take awhile.

Break: turkey bacon, egg sandwich, Apple cider
Snack: veggies and chips, dip, piece of cake
Lunch: brisket sandwich
Snack: 5 caramels
Dinner: veggie & avocado sandwich

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Your husband is a doctor AND he helped you cook for 250 people? And you did it, too? 250 people? I wish I could make those numbers bigger.

Hey, if you think you haven't done enough, try never having married or had children, or learned a musical instrument even though you say you love (or used to love) music and actually have a lot of time, or pursuing acting classes, though you actually like being on stage, or haivng been awake since 3 a.m. with student essays to read but you went online, etc etc. And don't get me started about how little traffic there is on my Facebook page.

An old boyfriend told me he wanted to take away the newsletter that used to come from my alma mater because I would get so down on myself when I read what other grads were doing.

BTW, it's YOUR thread. You can express what you want about politics or anything else, IMHO, and readers can stay or go.

I felt hollow all day Wednesday. That's the power of the mind to imagine what hasn't happened yet. But sometimes that power serves us well, like when we can tell ahead of time that we'll feel lousy if we do this or that thing that we have an urge to do...

Maybe more people will actually get more involved now that they think some privileges are even more in jeopardy? Honestly, I don't think I'll be one of them. Back to the armchair.

I haven't read all your posts for awhile. Were you modifying recently? You don't have to repeat the details; I'll go back farther if you say yes.

Ack, there's my alarm to get up for work...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:56 am

Hey oolala!

Please don't make those numbers bigger. It was grueling work as it was and worse for dh since he had to check the fire every couple hrs throughout the night for two nights in a row. I guess it's like having a baby again but heck, we're too old for that. First and last time for sure although it did make cooking dinner tonight seem like a breeze.

You're right about it being my thread. Nobody seems to be reading it these days anyway so doesn't matter if I offend or not. I was completely shattered and am still very afraid for what's to come. So much ugliness imo. I do hope you're right and this will spur ppl into action. I think we've all grown too complacent when it comes to politics. I did sign up to do some volunteer work for our local chapter. I think it'll make me feel better if I'm directly involved in things. I have to at least try.

As far as feeling like you haven't done as much as you should have with your life, I was going to say well at least you had a career which is more than I can say. But maybe we both just need to ease up on ourselves. I'm guessing we both did pretty well for ourselves given our own unique strengths and challenges. It's kind of like losing weight. When you focus on the numbers, it's never enough. There's always just 5 or 10 lbs more.

My sister is a lawyer, world traveler, mother of four bright children, involved in
Politics, well connected (dated a Kennedy once), marathon runner, size four. You get the picture. But not satisfied with her accomplishments. Hard on herself to a fault and beats herself up for never having run for office. It's all relative right. Can't we just take a deep breath and enjoy our lives and accept ourselves faults and all? It's worth a shot.

Anyway as for mods. I'm doing the one main meal a day thing. I'll have a piece of fruit or a small smoothie for break & lunch and eat my regular dinner. Also I allow a couple of lollipops after dinner. It keeps me motivated if I have them to look forward to but not something I'll likely binge on. That's it.

Break: an apple, herbal coffee
Lunch: med pumpkin smoothie
Dinner: small bowl of chili, small bowl of veg curry, glass of wine

Exercise: walked dogs 30 mins

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:29 am

thumbs up
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:08 pm

Linda, I just wanted to chime in and say that I definitely read your check in, but unfortunately because of time constraints, I don't always have time to reply. However, I always enjoy your comments, and your sharing your life's journey. Your introspections and candor are always refreshing to read. :)

Regarding the election, of course you should feel free to express yourself on your own thread! Although I don't share your political views, I was in no way offended by your statements. In fact, I think you were (and are) very respectful. I do understand feeling shattered, empty, and down after Presidential elections--I felt that way MANY times since the early 90s. But your response of getting actively involved is wonderful, and is just what should be done instead of violently acting out. Both sides can be guilty of this, and it's important that even in our disagreements we keep things civil. So a big thank you for stating your position so honestly and respectfully--we could use more of that!! :)

And I think that all families have that "overachiever" type in them lol. You're right, though, that it is definitely hard to deal with at times, especially when you are feeling down on yourself to begin with. But I've said this before: you will never regret the time you've spent with your children. It is an important job, and years from now, you'll be glad that you devoted so much time to it. So, as you put it, ease up on yourself--you're doing fine!

Hope your recuperation from the 250+ gathering continues going smoothly this week! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:38 pm

I read your thread and am a big fan!
Don't often get to post, but I appreciate what you share about your life and NoS journey. Please keep it up!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:12 pm

I LOVE your posts. It would be so boring here without you!!! I just haven't had much to say these days (: I'm happy for you for losing the weight but hate seeing you have to eat so little 2 of your meals on N days to get there!! When I see that you have posted it's always my favorite days to read!! I love reading what everyone here has to say. I wish there was more people who did it!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:53 am

Lol oh boy didn't mean to cause a pity party here! I figure ppl are reading it. It's just hard to tell sometimes but to be fair I haven't been responding much to other threads lately either. I think with the holidays upon us, it's just a busy time for everyone.

Blessing you have been so supportive always so please don't feel like you have to respond all the time. I'm so grateful we can have opposing views of on religion & politics and still be respectful towards one another. I think we share the common bond of motherhood which imo is the most important kind.

My sister is definitely an over-achiever. I stopped being envious of her a long time ago but was just offering her as an example of someone who has achieved a great deal by most standards and still doesn't feel good enough. Just thinking about her life makes me exhausted. No thank you.

Thank you Sonya! &#128522; I know you have internet issues so no worries and for that matter nobody owes me anything. I just miss the days when there was a core group of us who posted and responded almodt out daily. But it's just the natural ebb & flow of these boards I know!

Jen: thanks for your kindness & don't worry about me. I'm eating plenty. My reflux is almost 100% better and I feel like these last few pounds will seal the deal so I'm pushing it as much as I can. Frankly I just want to be done with it.

Today was good. My house is slowly returning to its former happy, clean self. A couple more days and it should be good. Of course then I have to start cooking for turkey day!

Break: 1/2 mango, herbal coffee
Lunch: an apple, herbal coffee
Dinner: bowl of Asian mushroom soup, small bowl of veg curry, 2 glasses of wine
D: 2 see's lollipops

Walked dogs: 30 mins

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:20 pm

I like it better when people are more chatty here too. And I'm tired of seeing people I like disappear. I always hope that they get the plan down & don't need to check in, but usually think they decide to try something different & don't want to admit it. I'd rather see them admit it & stay & talk about that in their thread. I sometimes feel like I don't belong here when I make tweaks to the plan. Like if I'm not doing vanilla that this isn't the spot for me. I like reading about others that struggle with learning how to eat normally while still wanting to reach goals, no matter what they are doing to get there.

I have to admit that when I read what anyone is doing I picture what if my daughter were doing that, that is why I mentioned that it made me sad to see you needing to eat so little at 2 meals a day!! I do love how much better you are feeling though & feeling better is a much better motivator than losing weight any day!!