Advice on Taking the S's one at a time?

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jenniferk32

Advice on Taking the S's one at a time?

Post by Jenniferk32 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:13 pm

I've been working on the No S diet, and have had a major victory in ending snacking. I am a serious grazer. In fact, I was reading about the grazing version of Binge Eating Disorder, where you still eat a ton but it's "grazing" style, so you're not typically viewed as a binger because the food is not consumed in a discrete amount of time.

Anyway, I am getting really good at not snacking, but I end up breaking at least one of the other two rules almost daily. I eat a little bit more once my plate is finished, or I'll have a sweet.

I've been beating myself up over this to the point that I can't seem to recognize the HUGE victory of not snacking.

I'm thinking of just focusing on that for now, and the other goals I have for exercise and cleaning/decluttering.

I have about 30 pounds to lose but am 90 pounds lower than my highest non-pregnant weight, mostly lost through restrictive diets and excessive exercise. I burned out a while back and have been stuck with the last 30. I am also still breastfeeding a toddler, and I've kind of given up on the idea that I'll actually lose anything more until she weans because I'm just too hungry to be in a calorie deficit. I'm hoping when she weans my appetite will go down a little and by then I will have this No S thing down and can reduce what I eat at each meal a little bit. Now I just need to inform her that she needs to PLEASE wean (the child will be 2 next week) because mommy is burned out.

Thoughts? (On no S just focusing on snacks for now).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:54 pm

I always find it's what I'm telling myself that makes it allowable to break a rule. It's almost never authentic hunger. I'll think, oh, just a bit more would taste so good, or I'll make up for it next meal, or some other bogus excuse. Then I have to remind myself: what's more important, sticking to guidelines that help me deal with the barrage of food all the time, or being at the effect of the extras that will probably always be available? If not now, when?

Try to get clear why you think NOT eating sweets or seconds will be beneficial for you. For one thing, no seconds will probably help keep you from developing the habit of eating your kids' leftovers. Your toddler is going to be eating around you for a long time!

Consider loading your plates up a bit more for awhile, maybe with a bit more fat, as that can add to satiety (as well as protein, but I always find a few tablespoons of walnuts or some cheese do more than the equivalent extra calories of protein) and/or adding fruit with cinnamon or yogurt with a little stevia or sweet potatoes to your meals as desserts more, so you counteract the habit of nibbling more later or eating a sweet.

Are you doing 14 minutes of anything and some walking? Good for both of you.

Hey, just not snacking IS a big deal. That might be an acceptable holding pattern for now.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Jenniferk32

Post by Jenniferk32 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:26 pm

I laughed at your mention of "developing" the habit of eating my daughter's leftovers.....that habit was developed long, long ago!

I suppose you're right- I should try harder to avoid sweets by eating fruit, yogurt, sweet potatoes, etc. I'd actually probably be satisfied with just that, but I do sometimes feel deprived watching my husband eat some kind of dessert (usually ice cream).

I'd been exercising rather consistently for many years (at least 5 days a week, plus a physically demanding job) but I'd slacked off over the last year to maybe three days a week in addition to home and job activity. However, pretty much all my exercise over the years was focused on compensating for overeating and was way too intense and too long. Exercise bulimia??? So I'm going for 10 minutes a day of intentional exercise to rebuild the almost daily habit without overdoing it. Later on I'll increase the duration somewhat.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:03 am

oolala53 wrote:I always find it's what I'm telling myself that makes it allowable to break a rule. It's almost never authentic hunger. I'll think, oh, just a bit more would taste so good, or I'll make up for it next meal, or some other bogus excuse. Then I have to remind myself: what's more important, sticking to guidelines that help me deal with the barrage of food all the time, or being at the effect of the extras that will probably always be available? If not now, when?

Try to get clear why you think NOT eating sweets or seconds will be beneficial for you. For one thing, no seconds will probably help keep you from developing the habit of eating your kids' leftovers. Your toddler is going to be eating around you for a long time!

Consider loading your plates up a bit more for awhile, maybe with a bit more fat, as that can add to satiety (as well as protein, but I always find a few tablespoons of walnuts or some cheese do more than the equivalent extra calories of protein) and/or adding fruit with cinnamon or yogurt with a little stevia or sweet potatoes to your meals as desserts more, so you counteract the habit of nibbling more later or eating a sweet.

Are you doing 14 minutes of anything and some walking? Good for both of you.

Hey, just not snacking IS a big deal. That might be an acceptable holding pattern for now.
Good advice
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days