My first month of No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bluebell

My first month of No S

Post by Bluebell » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:50 am

I have found this forum so helpful whilst doing my first month of No S so I thought I would write down a few thoughts as we near the end of October.

- This is the most straightforward and easy to follow diet I have ever followed. In fact I don't really think of it as a diet, it certainly doesn't feel like any diet I have ever followed before, and boy there have been a lot of them over the years!

- It is a huge relief to embrace the simplicity of No S. I no longer have to agonise about every mouthful I eat. I don't have to make separate meals for myself. I don't have to count anything - carbs, calories, grams of fat etc etc. I can eat normal food. I can eat out. I feel free! Free from trying so hard and ultimately always failing.

- I can see this being a lifestyle that I can follow forever. For the reasons outlined above.

- I am starting to see some of the benefits of No S on S days. I am noticing how sweet sweet things are, and they seem less tempting. I am feeling fuller at meals and less hungry between meals.

- Knowing that I can have treats at the weekend is somehow enough to get me through the weeks. I can tell myself 'you can't have it now but you can have it on Saturday if you really want it'. Which makes it bearable. All previous diets have meant denying myself week after week with no end in sight, and eventually I give in, binge on 'forbidden food' and return to my old ways of eating. And put all the weight back on, and more. Such a destructive pattern which I have been stuck in for years and years.

- I have learnt to live with hunger, that it is Ok to be hungry, that hunger won't last forever, the end is in sight with the next meal.

- I am accepting gradual weight loss. Around 1/2lb a week. And actually that's OK because I feel I can keep going with NO S, so at some point in the future I will have lost what I want to. And be able to maintain my weight (I hope! This has always been my nemesis!)

- And lastly, there's a wonderful community out there who will support and understand me, namely all of you who post on these boards and have made me feel welcome. Thank you!

That was long! But it has helped me to get it down. I feel very positive going into a new month. :D

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:10 pm

Wonderful observations, Bluebell!! Keep up the fantastic work! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 pm

Long may your No S flag wave. :D
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Congratulations!
:D
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:56 pm

Thank you :D
Its folk like you who keep me motivated and supported.

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:25 am

Isn't it amazing how much we can learn about ourselves and eating from something so "simple?" I love it! Great first month, I hope your second continues on this track :-).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:27 pm

Merry wrote:Isn't it amazing how much we can learn about ourselves and eating from something so "simple?" I love it! Great first month, I hope your second continues on this track :-).
Thank you Merry - yes you are quite right, I am learning about myself! Without meaning to sound over the top, this has the potential to be life changing for me.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:26 am

Bluebell wrote:Without meaning to sound over the top, this has the potential to be life changing for me.
I absolutely agree!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

ModBod

Post by ModBod » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:04 am

Well done, Bluebell, very inspiring! it does feel good to be in a new month, I like how each week gets broken down and see feels manageable as a goal.
I'm looking to lose about 12lbs...
31.09: 65.7kg/144.8lbs, BMI-25.7!
14.10: 64.9kg/143lbs, BMI - 25.4!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:34 pm

ModBod wrote:Well done, Bluebell, very inspiring! it does feel good to be in a new month, I like how each week gets broken down and see feels manageable as a goal.
Thanks ModBod, not sure about inspiring, just my thoughts, but I appreciate your kind comment! I hope you are getting on well and that the plan is working for you.

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:37 pm

Great post bluebell! Inspiring indeed :) Isn't it lovely how normal it feels?

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:02 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Great post bluebell! Inspiring indeed :) Isn't it lovely how normal it feels?
Thank you :D
Normal is exactly the right word. Such a simple word and yet so powerful. And yes it feels wonderful! This is how people eat when they have a normal relationship with food.