Izzy's Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Izzy

Izzy's Check-in

Post by Izzy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:58 am

Hello! I have perused this site for a LONG time off and on for a couple years and have had a two failed attempts in the past with Vanilla, and then another failed attempt with too many mods...but I am ready to re-commit with a very simplified version this time with hopes of success.

Here is my No S (ish) plan that I will start today:

7 days a week:

Fruit & Black Coffee (early am)
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

(so 3.5 meals a day?)

The only guidelines for my meals will be to keep them reasonably balanced and serve myself reasonable portions. And if reasonable isn't specific enough when facing the all you can eat buffet type of meal offering, I will abide by Reinhard's "don't be an idiot" advice!

I will not be taking regular weekend S days. I will, however, take the very occasional Extra-Special-S-Event, such as Christmas Parties, Weddings, or otherwise special events that may include the between meal finger foods and desserts not served with the meal.

I am starting off with more relaxed rules this time hoping that this will stick for the long haul, and will be enough to move the scale in the right direction, even if at a snail's pace!

However, if I need to tighten things up a bit to see any results, I will revisit no sooner than the recommended 21 days to consider tiny changes, but nothing drastic to cause me throw in the towel. This time it has to be long-term sustainable for ME.

Thanks for listening!

PS I don't see myself checking in daily, I will be more of a sporadic poster :)
Izzy

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:59 am

Welcome back, Izzy! I wish you all the success with your plans. I'm curious why you plan to not do regular S days? (for me, that's what actually has made No-S doable and sustainable--having some kind of treat to look forward to each week!).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:50 am

Merry wrote:Welcome back, Izzy! I wish you all the success with your plans. I'm curious why you plan to not do regular S days? (for me, that's what actually has made No-S doable and sustainable--having some kind of treat to look forward to each week!).
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^
Merry's advice is the Way!
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:45 pm

Regarding me not taking weekend S days:

I was very inspired by a few members here who have had success with a similar plan, I believe Life Is a Blessing, moderatemeals, and this very old post from Chompo:
chomp0 wrote:So here's the diet plan I've been following for about 9 months.

3 meals a day. No snacks.

The Guidelines:
Every meal must taste great!
Buy fresh ingredients, avoid processed crap.
Eat plenty of vegetables.
Keep portion sizes small (unless it's mostly veggies).
No more than one treat a day, as part of a meal.
Eat slowly, really savour your food.
LEARN 2 COOK!!!

It's very similar to NoS so I hope you don't mind me sharing. The main differences are that I don't have S-days but I do eat a sweet thing every day. I wouldn't be able to last 5 days without chocolate or cake :P

I've almost reached my goal. I just have a little bit more to lose off my tummy but I can now wear the same size clothes I did in my early twenties (I'm 28 years old now). I'm very happy with my new lifestyle, I won't be 'going off my diet' and putting all the weight back on. I'll be sticking with 3 meals a day, I'll just be making them bigger.

I'm now much thinner, happier and a better cook than I was a year ago.

I've been lurking here for a while but didn't want to post because I'm not actually on the NoS diet. However most other weight loss forums are kind of depressing and I don't really want to read about things like low-carb, low-fat, 6 tiny meals a day is best, healthy snacks, foods to avoid, ect.

NoS is a very sensible diet and reading things here has been very helpful, so thank you. :)

I think for me developing a daily/7 days a week habit where I can have reasonable portions in a balanced way, and yes which may include desserts, and not using the one plate rule will be easier for me to stick with.

I welcome further comments! Thank you!
Izzy

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:08 pm

I'm similar too!! I do 7 days a week 3 meals (: Bigger meals (seconds) & sweets sometimes/special, but my definition of special isn't as big as others here (:

I feel like I fit in best here too, although sometimes I feel like I'm not quite doing what everyone else is, but at least it's close & seems to have the same core values (: It's been awesome for me!! I'm at my lowest maintained weight & feel very at peace with food (: I hope you have the same luck I have had!!

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:22 pm

Jen1974 wrote:I'm similar too!! I do 7 days a week 3 meals (: Bigger meals (seconds) & sweets sometimes/special, but my definition of special isn't as big as others here (:

I feel like I fit in best here too, although sometimes I feel like I'm not quite doing what everyone else is, but at least it's close & seems to have the same core values (: It's been awesome for me!! I'm at my lowest maintained weight & feel very at peace with food (: I hope you have the same luck I have had!!
Jen, thanks for commenting, that is SO encouraging to hear!
Izzy

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:07 am

Izzy wrote: I think for me developing a daily/7 days a week habit where I can have reasonable portions in a balanced way, and yes which may include desserts, and not using the one plate rule will be easier for me to stick with.

I welcome further comments! Thank you!
Ah, gotcha, that makes sense. I originally thought you meant basically 7 N days a week all the time. I hope the mod. works for you, it seems to for some (for me it would be more of a slippery slope back to my previous habits, LOL, so I don't dare venture into that kind of mod!)
Respect Moderation

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:37 pm

Yes Merry I should have clarified more in my original post! Thanks for the support!
Izzy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:55 pm

How was your week? Feel free to stay a Luddite until the weekend is over... :o
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Checking in! Mostly on habit, but due to a family crisis this week, one day I did not eat at all until 1 pm, and then ate too much and just had a snack at bedtime. Think this may fall under a "stress" day, also an S.....

I truly enjoy my bowl of fruit to start the day. Today is pineapple and blueberries, yum. As I have some long-term digestive issues from being on SOOOO many antibiotics a few years back, this is the only way I can have a decent portion of fruit without stomach upset (on an empty stomach and wait an hour or more to eat other foods), and I feel it is a good start to having healthy food to start off my day!

Focusing completely on habit and avoiding the scale for at least a month.
Izzy

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:25 pm

I see a lot of you post your meals, so thought I would share what I am having today:

8 am morning starter:
Black Coffee and fresh pineapple

9:30 am breakfast:
Oven omelet filled with potatoes, onions and bacon and curry powder for a little kick :0

2 pm lunch:
Korean Tacos and small chocolate bar

7 pm Dinner:
Fennel salad with apples and goat cheese, bbq chicken, buttered slice of bread.
Izzy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:40 pm

What are Korean tacos, please?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:32 am

Korean Tacos - this is how I make mine, but you can find many variations similar on different recipe sites:

A spoonful or two of shredded/pulled beef chuck roast or beef short ribs placed inside a warmed soft corn tortilla, topped with sriracha sauce, pickled onions or other pickled "slaw" of your preference. Some of us also add mayo. You can also add a squirt of Lime juice over top.
Izzy

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:44 am

Another day of eats!

Starter:
Black Coffee and bowl of mixed fruit (pineapple chunks, grapes and 1/2 banana sliced)

Breakfast:
Sunny side up eggs with sliced roma tomato cooked in olive oil seasoned with oregano, basil, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, slice of french baguette

Lunch:
Leftover BBQ chicken thighs & salad with romaine, goat cheese & tomatoes, and dessert/ender, little bag of peanuts

Dinner:
cheese and crackers, Kale "soup" (Kale cooked in chicken broth with a bit of butter) & leftover pot roast
Izzy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:59 am

I guess it's the pickled stuff and sauce that make them Korean? No matter what, sounds good.Corn tortillas can take on just about anything.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Starting over since an emotional roller coaster holiday season, we received some devastating news about a family member shortly before Christmas which has left us in a tailspin of emotions and changes in plans day to day with traveling back and forth and making arrangments to care for my MIL. She thought she strained her back or damaged a disc badly while packing up to move, but in ER they found it is a large and very aggressive cancerous tumor. No other warning signs, she is otherwise vibrantly active and healthy. Talk about life changing in an instant. She has begun treatment and we have no idea how long she may have at this point doctors will not give us much info accept to re-evaluate after first and second round of chemo.

Needless to say regular eating habits have been no-where in site during this difficult time. Things are more stable at the moment, trying to bring some normal routine back into our lives is actually comforting.

So moving forward I am recommitting as life allows to stick with it.
Izzy

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Oh my goodness Izzy I am so sorry to hear your bad news. What a stressful time you must be going through. I think you are doing amazingly well if you manage to stick to any kind of routine right now. Wishing you all the best.

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:44 pm

Thank you Bluebell :)
Izzy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:38 pm

So sorry. Remember that any food on a plate during a meal window of opportunity counts, and it's almost always possible to have one without sweets, even in hospitals. It may be the "center" that will actually help. But you'll get there.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:31 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Praying for you.
Respect Moderation

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Thank you all for your prayers and support. We have been home now for more than a week, things starting to feel a little more routine knowing it will be temporary. MIL is having some significant pain relief finally, which is a huge improvement and some peace of mind for us. We also may be looking at moving to a smaller place soon also, so more changes ahead.

On a good note, I have been keeping with my modified version of no S most days for almost a week. I have also been noticing since my mod includes no restrictions on what types of food at each meal that my sweet tooth is actually not as strong. I have had a few days here and there where having a sweet wasn't even on my mind (what?!?) Maybe because knowing that I can choose to add it to any meal on any day is allowing me to not have the cravings as often now. I'll take that small win :).

Haven't weighed in officially yet but clothes fit the same so I know I am not gaining. I will take not gaining as a success right now.

Some random thoughts:

I do seem to sleep better I have noticed when my supper is protein heavy and less carb heavy. Steak and a salad brings me better sleep than deep dish pizza. So moving my pizza meals to lunch when possible I think will be wise.

Business is my friend on the later end of the space between meals. I have been purposely saving up my fidgety activities for the time late afternoon when I am likely to want to snack. It keeps my hands and my mind off of snacking.

One "treat" between meals about once a week (or less) I have truly enjoyed is a soy white chocolate mocha at Starbucks. I am keeping in my plan as it is a rare occasion and is totally worth it for me. I also tend to have it shortly after lunch when I do, so usually have a smaller lunch to help curb the extra calories a bit.

I am trying to pay attention and learn what keeps me satisfied between meals, but also keeping my meals food I truly enjoy.

I have been reading others check in pages (LifeisBlessing in particular since we have similar mods) and it is so inspiring to see successes and also struggles others have, knowing I am not alone in my sometimes bumpy path and pursuit of thin-ness.

Yesterdays' meals:

Starter
Black Coffee and a bowl of perfectly ripe pineapple chunks

Breakfast
2 farm eggs with sauteed Kale, Oat Bran muffin

Lunch
Pizza with veggies and dip, one Lindt truffle

Dinner
Salad, Chicken, Baked Potato
Izzy

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Checking in - OFF plan for about a week. You could write a book about all the stress and drama in my life that has popped up recently. Having a family member with cancer was enough to bear I thought, but God has other plans. Lots of praying going on in our house right now!

Sinking into Perma snacking and Netflix has been my stress reliever I am sad to say, however, but today is a new day and a chance for another fresh start.

I have been remembering some things I have read about how important it is to take care of yourself during difficult times. I honestly think I need to concentrate on how No S truly is a way to take better care of myself. Not only is eating crap all day bad for my waistline, it is bad for my mood, my overall well-being, and my self-esteem.

Trying to be on plan, knowing it may not be perfect is my goal for this week.
At least stopping the all day grazing will be a step in the right direction!
Izzy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:23 am

So true, Izzy. Moderate eating is one of THE best stress combatting strategies, though it does mean you'll experience some antsy feelings at times. I went through some of the worst stressful times in my life during my first years on No S. I did a lot of TV watching then. But I believe even crying is a better reaction than eating.

Believe that at some point, when someone talks about overeating some comfort food when stressed, you'll silently think, but why would I do THAT? Because you'll finally see that it's just not worth the temporary fix. It doesn't mean it won't occur to you. But it will be more like the ringing of a phone you know is on the blink. You just don't answer it anymore.

But also, sorry for the turmoil. Big hugs.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:02 am

I'm sorry, Izzy. Praying for you and your family.
Respect Moderation

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:50 am

Thank you both for your kind words.
Izzy

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:23 pm

Got on the scale for the first time in two weeks, down 5 pounds! Not unlikely due to the fact I had the stomach flu two days ago! I was hoping it would reduce my appetite but I feel ravenous today!

I know it is unlikely to stay off but I haven't seen that number in a LONG time on the scale.

Moving forward, had 2 sucessfull days last week amongst all of my stormy stressors. I humbly have decided to seek counseling at my church as I am more and more feeling like my emotional meltdowns are getting to be a little more than I can bear. Mom in law suddenly really NOT doing well, so hard watching a loved one suffer with cancer. First time in my life I have delt with knowing someone close to me may not be here much longer.
Izzy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:19 am

Wow! Even if it's temporary, it's interesting to know that your body can drop to that weight. I always think, "That's my REAL weight. If it's more in the next few days, it's just water." It's fine with me to weigh more because of water, though that's possibly not the best outlook. It just usually means I've eaten more starches or intensely flavored food, but not really overeaten, in my mind. If I'm not consistently overeating, I figure I can't ask myself for much more than that.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:41 am

Success on my first full day of eating since the dreaded tummy terror flu:

Fruit: Banana smoothie with lemon juice, cinnamon and vanilla

B: Egg Drop Soup with Kale

L: Tilapia, baked potato, fried apples

D: Sweet Potato, Kale (I love Kale!), Ground beef & onion "skillet" supper
Izzy

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:03 pm

It's been 5 weeks since I have checked in - most of them have been sick days, after a bout with the stomach bug, 4 days later my son brought home influenza A which has reached epidemic levels in our area, and YEP I got it too! Us old farts take a LONG TIME to get through recovery but finally back on track. It really feels good to be in a routine again.

Oh, and I would not recommend it but I lost a total of 7 pounds due to the back to back illnesses, planning some of it will come back now that I can eat normally again. My bras fit better LOL!!

2 "success" days in a row on plan! Yeah!
Izzy

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Welcome back, Izzy! :) And thanks for the kind shout-out on Jen1974's thread.

Hope you're feeling much better (my absolute worst kind of illness is any kind of stomach virus--blech!!!!), and can get back to normal ASAP. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Yeah, that kind of "diet," just like the others, yields temporary results.

But it must feel great to have some energy again.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23