French Women Don't Get Fat

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

snazzybabe

French Women Don't Get Fat

Post by snazzybabe » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:52 am

I was just reading the book French Women Don't Get Fat. It was really interesting. The author explained how she started putting on weight when she was an exhange student studying in America. What changed about her eating habits was that she started incidental eating - i.e. snacking. She would snack on the way to school and on the way home. The more she snacked the more she wanted. When she went back to 3 meals and sitting down while eating, concentrating on her meal - the weight slowly started coming off.

Another interesting thing from the book was that we should enjoy eating. We shouldn't feel guilty about eating a slice of chocolate cake. We should savour every minute. Comments like - "This cake is so bad for me" and "I'm bad eating this" is wrong. When I feel guilty about eating something, I console myself by eating even more.
So enjoy your snack day, you deserve it.

Anyway, interesting book.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:47 pm

I've heard about this book, and from what I've heard, I approve. The French diet (and most traditional diets) aren't really all that different from no-s: discreet, social meals, few if any snacks, sweets as rare treats.

The one caveat I have is: French women live in France, they have deep structural support for the way they eat in the culture. Because of this support, they don't need explicit rules. We do.

Think of the no-s diet as the French diet for those of us not priviledged to live in such a culture (and from what I understand, French cultural supports for this kind of eating are not quite what they used to be either).

Also, why just French "women?" Was that just a marketing decision? Presumably French men don't eat all that differently and are about as thin.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:36 pm

Hi. Read the book. Own the book. It is a really a good read.

I think we need to remember that French women also walk a lot and smoke a lot

Mareille Guilliano also puts forth a very doable *plan* but the average person might find it tough to do on his/her own.

I like our No S plan because we have the support that we need through our board.

It is still a good read though and I love her philosophy regarding fresh food and high quality food. (Note to self: Put down that Reeses Peanut Butter Cup and go get a decent bar of Swiss chocolate!!!!)

Worth a read.

Dru

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:29 pm

Yes, Dru and Snazzy, I think there are some good points in that book, as you highlighted, but I also found that the amounts of food she was talking about were miniscule for me. My feeling, after reading the book, was French women don't get fat because they stay hungry all the time!

Peetie

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:52 pm

On the topic of french eating, I read a book called The Fat Fallacy by Will Clower, I believe his name to be.

It was a real eye-opener for me. He explains how the obesity rate in America is 33% and growing (don't quote me, I can't remember the exact figure) and the french's obesity rate was somewhere along the lines of 8% and standing. And they have longer life spans.

The difference according to him is all the crap we eat here. It is pretty disgusting when he points out ingredients (rather chemicals) in certain common low fat foods. The french don't have these - they mainly eat fresh, natural stuff.

So I decided to do a little experiment with his advice. He says don't drink low fat milk. There is no such thing as a low fat cow. Drink whole milk. Wow, what a concept. I have been drinking skim milk since I was 13 years old in fear of getting fat. I wouldn't TOUCH anything not low fat. Guess what. In the years I was overly restrictive with myself, mainly when a teenager, eating all the "right" foods according to magazines I gained 20 lbs eventually!! So I attempted things like full fat yogurt, milk and *gulp* butter (another huge no-no for me - I never ever ate butter on anything). I started using olive oil which he said is incredibly good for you.

He also advocates eating at mealtimes. You don't need to snack because the extra fat in the diet keeps you full (fat is actually an appetite suppresent). However, you don't eat big portions. You are replacing quantity with quality.

Long story short - I did this a week - felt totally satisfied like never before - got rid of my fear of fat..........

And lost 4 lbs.

I now incorporate his principles to some extent (I guess in the sense I don't eat fake foods anymore like "light margarine" ..how gross) along with No S. I can't believe how well I have been doing the past couple days.

Cheers!
Cynthia

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:33 pm

From what I understand (never having been to France) the French take food very seriously and surround it with a great deal of ceremony and social custom.

As opposed to eating junk alone out of krinkly bags while driving and talking on the cellphone. Although I'm sure there are some in France who do that too.

I'm trying to incorporate "Slow Food" concepts into my routine in an effort to emulate traditional foodways (sharing meals in a social setting; making time to eat well; surrounding meals with certain formalities such as setting the table; etc.)
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

navin

Post by navin » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:29 pm

I'm trying to incorporate "Slow Food" concepts into my routine in an effort to emulate traditional foodways (sharing meals in a social setting; making time to eat well; surrounding meals with certain formalities such as setting the table; etc.)
I think there's something to be said for that. I'm weird in that regard - I am an extremely fast eater, but generally my dinner preparations usually take some time. I always sit down at the dinner table and put whatever it is I'm eating on a plate (even if it's pizza or fast food.)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Lethaltoenails

Post by Lethaltoenails » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:31 pm

I read this book too (from the Library - for Free!) and enjoyed it, I may eventually add it to my collection because I liked the recipes and the author's general attitude toward food.

I agree also that it is all the CRAP we eat that is forced on us for buying decisions in those chemical palaces they call grocery stores. It's absolutely amazing how HARD it is to buy REAL FOOD in grocery stores.

We use whole raw milk from biodynamic cows (www.hawthornevalleyfarm.org) and eat their gorgeous yogurt (a lot like the yogurt the french lady swears by), real butter, olive oil, real eggs (from a friend with chickens - he gives them to us), bread from the farm store, NO PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED OILS - EVER - and when we eat meat we try to make sure it is farm raised and healthy. Our veggies are as local as we can find, which is a challenge in the Catskills. There are no snacky junky foods in this house. Maybe a dried peach or a date or some crystallized ginger.

We also eat a good deal of fish, pref. wild, but I watch the kids' intake due to mercury.

Lethaltoenails

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:50 am

Karyn...
I was wondering how you avoid partially hydrogenated fats when it comes to some prepared stuff, like bread from the supermarket...
I don't buy margerine or lite anything, and try to avoid stuff when I can with that evil ingredient, but realistically, I find it hard to find some products without it..
How much have you eliminated this? What products *don't* contain this nowadays??? It seems to be in everything!
Very frustrating.. :evil:
Hugs!
Love and Peace,
8) Deb

Blue Daisy

Post by Blue Daisy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:16 pm

Deb,

I know you were asking about bread and you may already be using something like this but if you wanted a butter-type product my family uses "Smart Balance" which is non-hydrogenated and tastes really good.

Cynthia I agree with your comments about fats and have been making sure I get enough good fats in my diet. When I ate a very low fat diet, my skin and hair got really dry looking and I was always hungry. I read somewhere on the internet about fats in the diet and decided to try it too. My hair and skin look much better now and I feel more satisfied with my meals also. I use the "Smart Balance", olive oil, and for frying, canola oil. Even with the increase fats my cholesterol is good. It was actually better than the time before which I thought was interesting. My overall cholesterol is 164, HDL 78 LDL 96.
The secret to success is small, but very consistent changes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Hey Blue!
Yeah, I've used the smart balance before...
Though it says it's not transfats, and that's probably true.. It has to be hydrogenated or it wouldn't be "hard" as opposed to liqufied....
But thanks.. I tend to use olive oil plain, and very sparsely use butter for things like French toast...
But thanks though!!!
It would be cool if I was motivated enough to make homemade bread, but it's not happening any time soon, except maybe one day just for an "experiment"! LOL...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
Glad to see you are enjoying NOS!!!

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:52 pm

I also read "The Fat Fallacy", and found, as in "French Women...." that the quantities were ridiculously small. I agree about eating slow...making a meal a ceremony...eating real foods with some fat in them....but a few tablespoons of full fat yogurt did not satisfy me as recommended in Fat Fallacy....and the meal plans outlined in "French Women" would not keep me til the next meal by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe I'm just a pig (maybe???), but I found the quantities too small to follow those plans. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be here.

But to anybody who can be satisfied on those amounts, I am very impressed....and very jealous!!!

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:31 pm

Peetie!!! You are funny, but certainly not a pig!
(Maybe a Turkey!, but not a pig)
Cut it out! LOL....
Love,
8) Deb

Self Deprication gets us nowhere but down...

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:27 pm

Thanks, Deb.

Love,
Peetie
Oink Oink

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:40 pm

I know this is an old post ,but I read this book recently and really enjoyed it. I agree with some of the above posters that it's not enough food for me. When she returned home overweight, her family doctor gave her a plan. She had to make a list of her biggest food " offenders" and avoid them for three months. She was allowed to find substitutes for her favorites. For example, she loved Apple tarts, so she made a recipe of baking apple slices with a little cinnamon and sugar, no pastry crust. This recipe is in the book and I actually made it. My husband and I love it. I like how she talks about French women getting exercise without going to a gym. I will definitely read this book over again.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:25 am

MaggieMae wrote:I know this is an old post ,but I read this book recently and really enjoyed it. I agree with some of the above posters that it's not enough food for me. When she returned home overweight, her family doctor gave her a plan. She had to make a list of her biggest food " offenders" and avoid them for three months. She was allowed to find substitutes for her favorites. For example, she loved Apple tarts, so she made a recipe of baking apple slices with a little cinnamon and sugar, no pastry crust. This recipe is in the book and I actually made it. My husband and I love it. I like how she talks about French women getting exercise without going to a gym. I will definitely read this book over again.
I read this book some years ago and enjoyed it. Another good one is French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Traci0829

Post by Traci0829 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:39 am

I've enjoyed these both as well! Great principles that do fit in with no S.

Merry

Re: French Women Don't Get Fat

Post by Merry » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:59 am

snazzybabe wrote:
Another interesting thing from the book was that we should enjoy eating. We shouldn't feel guilty about eating a slice of chocolate cake. We should savour every minute. Comments like - "This cake is so bad for me" and "I'm bad eating this" is wrong. When I feel guilty about eating something, I console myself by eating even more.
Yeah, I do the same thing--eat more when I feel guilty about eating it. I find with No-S that I don't say these things about my "planned" treat, but I still have that kind of mental dialog going on in my mind about unplanned desserts on S days. Maybe I'll have to try to change that.

I also find I have to work hard to be "conscious" about eating--I often eat more because I forgot to really savor and enjoy when I started eating.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:33 pm

The urban French think (or used to) "pleasure" when someone says "chocolate cake," and Americans think "guilt." But urban French women don't eat slice after slice, nor do they eat it every day along with other sweets. They don't eat more of foods just because they are pleasurable. It's just not done! And no one encourages it.

Here are a couple of quotations from a site I found when I was actually looking for proof that the French are eating more and gaining weight. both from 2013, not that long ago.
"Splitting my time between France and NY, I always seem to lose weight in France, eating and enjoying. After careful thought as to why…. in France I do not graze mindlessly nor am I in & out of the refrigerator all day. Just not a very “french” thing to do.

"Totally agree–I remember going to an American supermarket with a French friend one afternoon. They were giving away samples of crackers topped with avocado spread. I had one; she didn’t. I asked her: “Don’t you like avocado?” “Yes!” she said, “But I don’t feel like eating it now.”

That was an epiphany for me–eating between meals is such a rare thing in France"

But I also watched a video in which I was surprised how many chunky people I saw. A nutrition doctor was telling a very obese woman that she didn't need to worry about gluten (because "health" trends are spreading.) No way she was not eating snacks or eating just three meals a day. And the doc was overweight, too. Sacre bleu! So was the French restaurant reviewer pooh-poohing the anti-gluten crowd.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

noni

Post by noni » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:34 pm

I own both those books. I gave the second written French Woman book to the library, as I didn't like it enough to keep it. I cleared out most of my diet books, but kept those two, because they were worth keeping to me. (And of course the No S diet book).

I enjoy these old gems dug up from the archives!
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:57 am

noni wrote:I enjoy these old gems dug up from the archives!
Me, too, noni! It's been kinda quiet on here lately so I've been reading the first posts. They're new to me! :D

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:29 am

MaggieMae wrote:
Me, too, noni! It's been kinda quiet on here lately so I've been reading the first posts. They're new to me! :D
I've always meant to go back and see what I posted when I was first here in 08 or so...
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation