Cedar check in Vanilla No S

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:10 pm

Great job, cedar! :D Those small snack-size treats work great, don't they? Just enough of a sweet taste without throwing everything off. I truly believe in a "law of diminishing returns" when it comes to treats. A small amount tastes great and usually is just right for topping off a meal. Too big a portion just stops tasting as good, and the payment of extra calories for not so much extra taste is no longer worth it (to me, at least). I find that reminding myself of this while eating dessert helps, as well as knowing that I can have more at the next meal.

I also discovered if I have plenty of the particular treat available, I don't feel the need to fill up on it because it's going to disappear. When I go to the store, I'll frequently bring home treats like full- or half-size cakes. Taking a portion of cake for lunch or dinner doesn't turn into, "Oh, better take a hefty slice since I can't have it again for a while!" Instead, it's more like, "Plenty of cake left--I can have another piece at the next meal!"

Please tailor this advice to your own situation, though. Some people simply can't take having snacks and treats available so readily without tempting them to overeat. One of the good things I got out of my dabbling in intuitive eating was the legalizing of all foods, and paying attention to how your body responds to them. Combining that with Reinhard's system of three meals can work together beautifully! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi Cedar!! I totally know what you mean about the calories. You don't want to think too much about it, but also don't want to "accidently" eat a lot more than you than you think you are becasue you aren't counting!! I have a general idea at each meal of what is "normal" & am losing about 3/4 lb/week these days. For instance I eat eggs with melted cheese, a yogurt, & a small bowl of cereal with a little milk a lot of days for breakfast. I still use my scale to measure the cheese & the portion of cereal. It's easy to go too big or too small on either of these & end up too full or getting hungry. If I decide I'd rather have 1/2 bagel or toast with my eggs, I skip the yogurt or the cereal. If I decide I want a bigger lunch I'll make the meal smaller. Same with lunch & dinner. I'll sub things in & out. So like Blessing, if I'm going to DQ or having a treat after dinner, I would decide to maybe skip the tortilla & just have chicken, cheese & guacomole in a bowl instead of a burrito? Little exchanges like that.

Sounds like you're making some great mods that fit you!! I think in the end that's what we all need to find is what works for best for us & I love that the general framework of No S has helped me get there!!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:29 pm

LifeisaBlessing wrote: Please tailor this advice to your own situation, though. Some people simply can't take having snacks and treats available so readily without tempting them to overeat. :)
Yeah that's me - if something is around I will probably wind up eating it sooner or later. And if I don't my husband definitely will! And then he might come out to where I am sitting with a sweet look on his face and a handful of cookies for me :D I just buy for the the day I am planning on eating the treat. But that's why there is no one way to implement No S. We are all different. For me, if the cookies are not in the house I don't miss them. But if they are in the house, I might wind up indulging in some mindless eating.

cedar

Post by cedar » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:17 am

Thanks ladies for the kind and helpful replies. Ok that's great to know there is no obsessive counting necessary, it's really just being aware and being realistic! Yes I remember weighing cereal a while back on a calorie obsessive diet...I was shocked to see that what I was thinking was 1 serve was actually about 4 serves!! It's just helpful to be aware. I like the tip of weighing each day and monitoring food/calorie intake that way..I weighed this morning again and have gone down more again so thats very gratifying!

I'm super tired so will make it short.
I overrate dinner tonight..I'm sure it would have fitted on a plate but I ate quickly and standing up and then went back for more..I felt ravenous! so a fail for me today :oops: . I worked late and had to take kids to soccer training and it all just felt too rushed..also I think I didn't eat enough protein. I've been having oats instead of my eggs for breakfast..maybe that's a factor?
Breakfast and lunch were normal meals and I did 13,000 steps and did a yoga class with a friend..we rode up this morning after school drop off so it wasn't a major disaster of a day but I don't want eating that way to be 'ok' so I'm marking it and moving on.
8)
Hope everyone is well.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:34 am

cedar, I hate days where you feel like you can't keep up with what your schedule demands of you--I know the feeling. Sometimes just pausing and saying a quick prayer (if you're religious) helps immensely!

Protein does help me at lunch and dinner with satiety--it was something positive I picked up from attempting to follow those high protein diets years ago. It definitely may help you at breakfast--just be sure to pick a yummy protein you like. That was a challenge for me, being that I'm a carb lover at heart lol.

There's an older book on diet/exercise that I found very useful on the tracking-your-weight-every day aspect--I'm heading out now, but will post more about it later today.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:37 pm

cedar, so nice to see you are so active: netball, walking, yoga...

oh, and i am also a carb, more precisely, bread/pasta/pizza girl... however, since i have reduced it a bit and upped my protein intake i do feel better and im not so hungry between meals at all...
oh, i have recently discovered chickpea flour... and veggie farinata made from it... delicious and filling, fair amount of protein... im not sure about calories... but those calories are not enormous and really worth it... i find it to be very nice meal... (oh and i bake it on higher temperature than in this recipe and a bit longer, i like it more crunchy):
http://www.afoodieworld.com/msfooddivis ... s-farinata

maybe im discovering something you know about already, but this flour is new to me...
i had a bit of a problem to find the chickpea flour... in asian market they didnt have it, nor health food store here... then i remembered it is a staple food of indian cuisine and found it in indian food store...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks Blessing..yes I'm with you about protein. It really makes a difference and yes I picked it up from one of the many low carb diets I tried also.. For some reason it just seems to be more effort to grab protein rather than carbs but it's so worth it! I'm personally not religious but I can definitely see the value in at least stopping and taking some deep breaths in those hurried situations..thank you for the reminder.

And yummmm Kaalii..that looks like such a yummy recipe..unfortunately I'm fructose intolerant which means I get a really sore stomach from chickpeas wheat rye onion garlic apple pear mushrooms..and lots more. I can have a little but too much and I'm very sore..such a shame as I looove hummus! But the chickpea flour (other name for it is besan flour) makes such an amazing face mask. I mix the flour with yogurt honey lemon and tumeric and leave it to set on the face then take off with warm water..apparently all the Indian brides use it before getting married. Thanks for the suggestion though! :D

Today I planned on doing less walking but a few incidental walks plus my normal morning walk just added up so that's great. I may do some yoga stretches after I take my son to his swimming lesson but I'm not sure if it will happen tonight I feel pooped!
I split up lunch into 2 today as one job ran late and meant I wouldn't be eating until 3.30 (breakfast was 7am) so I ate my banana rather than repeat last night and go overboard with being too hungry. I'm not calling it a fail today..I'm calling it life!

Bf- eggs gluten free toast half an orange and coffee dash cream.
L-first banana then eggplant moussaka and 2 milk bottle lollies
D- chicken vegie pie with steamed veg and 2pieces dark choc
Steps- 11,000+

Have a great weekend everyone xxx

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:18 am

oh, too bad for your intolerance! must be hard to go around and without those ingredients every day...
and thanks for the mask recipe!

amd yes, that is not a fail, that^s life!
plus it was purposeful and on purpose AND your habit is not suffering from it!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:43 pm

I'm not calling it a fail today..I'm calling it life!

I can't figure out how to quote lines, but absolutly love this one Cedar!!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:05 pm

I finally found the book that I was talking about--it's called, "Total Fitness in 30 Minutes a Week." Here's an Amazon link to it if you're interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Total-Fitness-30 ... tes+a+week

It was originally published in the mid-70s, written by the person who designed fitness programs for NASA for their astronauts to keep in shape in space. While some of the fitness advice is a bit dated, I do like Morehouse's approach to tracking weight loss. It gives a nice visual and lets you know where you stand each day. He suggests losing no more than 1 pound a week, and tracking it with a graph. Weight is the y-axis, time is the x-axis. Draw a straight line between your start weight and goal weight. Weighing yourself daily, you ideally would want to be on or somewhere very near the line. Too far above it? Eat less the next day. Too far below it? Eat more the next day. His point is that keeping your weights close to the line will ensure that you aren't losing too quickly, or are going off the rails altogether by straying too far above the line.

It may seem like a lot of work, but it definitely gives you quick feedback! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

cedar

Post by cedar » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:48 am

Thanks Kaalii, it can be hard because especially garlic and onion seem to be in everything..but if I mostly eat simple things, I can handle a little bit of those ingredients. After all of my life suffering from sore uncomfortable stomach I'm just glad to have found a reason..diagnosed by my doctor rather than guessing and feeling like a hypochondriac! I really don't think about it too much and just do the best I can.

Jen..so glad I'm not the only one who can't figure out how to do the quotes!!! :lol:

Blessing, thank you for the link to the book..it looks like a useful read and I like how it's not about losing weight too quickly etc.. I can see lots of cheap second hand copies I can order which is good..thanks!

Great weekend, I've worked both days which isn't usual, but both days I've gotten up early and done my 10,000 step walk before working at 8am and I've really enjoyed that. We had friends over for dinner last night..lit the fire on our deck and cooked pizzas in the outside oven and drank red wine. It was a bit of virtual plating- we ate the pizzas as they were ready, and then later enjoyed some brownies that I baked with my children..I didn't feel I went overboard but it is hard to tell when eating that way..I definitely prefer sitting down to a proper plate of food, but it's not always going to happen that way. I woke up really hungry so I took that as a sign I didn't go overdo it. I'm home from work now and looking forward to a lazy afternoon watching a movie or something..it's cold and raining outside so I don't have to feel guilty about lazing about.

End result of today=
Activity-13,000 steps.

Bf-2 eggs on gf toast, coffee with dash cream.
L-Chicken salad wrap with small piece of brownie and ice cream..small bite of a bounty bar. Coffee dash milk
D- homemade pizza (again)topped with salami and lots of veggies. Raw cucumber carrot strawberries on side.
Cup of tea dash milk.

I've noticed that I have to be careful to stick to 3 meals no snacking on the weekends..I seem to automatically go into 's' mode out of habit..also socially it doesn't always encourage the 3 meal structure. I am loving that I don't feel I have to 'eat it all while I can' because I can have sweets at every meal every day if I like 8) !

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:03 pm

cedar, if you know it's coming, don't be afraid to take your sweet at a later time than your regular meal--just count it as part of the previous meal. Like I mentioned before, if I know that we're going out for ice cream after dinner, or if I'm meeting a friend for coffee, I make sure to leave room and not have a sweet from the previous meal so that I can enjoy something later.

Obviously, this doesn't work when there are "unplanned" events. Case in point--one day during my two-month period of losing weight, I had already had my sweet with dinner. The family later decided to do a DQ trip. Since I already had dessert, I declined having anything from DQ. A bit disappointing for me, but keeping with my plan (and seeing the results from said plan) outweighed missing some DQ treats!

In your weekend example, the brownie could be considered the sweet that went with your lunch (as you listed), or if you made them unexpectedly between lunch and dinner, they could count as your dinner sweet if you already had a sweet with lunch. If you know you'll make them after dinner is over, you could include the brownie as the sweet part of your dinner, and not have a sweet during scheduled dinner time.

The timing/plating isn't always as important as the making space. In a perfect day when you can sit down to three planned, plated meals--great! Everything can be served at mealtime. When you know planned sweets or treats will be available or made between meals, budget them into whichever meal you prefer.

The white-knuckling approach will have to suffice for all the unplanned sweets, unfortunately! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm so glad to hear Blessings talk about not having to eat the sweet WITH the meal exactly. I try not to keep sweets in the house, so if I have a sweet it usually involves going out later or me suddenly being in the mood to bake. My family is big on "letting our food settle" and then eating dessert later.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:08 pm

MaggieMae wrote:My family is big on "letting our food settle" and then eating dessert later.
Oh, MaggieMae, I was grinnning ear-to-ear when I read this! :D I thought my family was the only one to use this term--haha!!! Glad to hear we're fellow "food settlers" lol! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:44 pm

waving from switzerland! how are you, cedar?

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks Blessing, yes I will do that especially at dinner time. It would be odd having a piece of chocolate on my plate at the dinner table, but lunch seems to be more appropriate to include a sweet at the same tine. Last night I "left a space on my plate" and later when we were watching some teli we enjoyed some dark chocolate together as a family..nice and seems more like 'normal eating' to me, but do need to be strict with 'leaving a space', otherwise I can see it could get murky and I could undo my hard work establishing 3 meal habit.

MaggieMae how are you going with everything? My thoughts are with you xxx

Hi Kaalii..how is beautiful Switzerland? I dream of hiking in the mountains again one day..breathing in the unique and clean air over there..I hope you are well
:D
We have been doing our driveway so I've basicly been real life shovelgloving for the last 2 days! We had to fill 2 big skip bins full of dirt, so constant shovelling and wheelbarrowing! I love working physically like that and accomplishing something at the same tine. Apart from Monday I've kept up my 10,000 steps..but over the week I've definitely maintained my 10,000 step average. Yesterday played netball and today I'm trying out cardio tennis..it's an hour of running and hitting the tennis ball with music..I'm a bit scared it sounds full on but just feel very enthused to step out of my comfort zone at the moment.
Food wise I overrate on Monday..we ordered takeaway and I just felt ravenous after the physical work all day but it's not a disaster. Back to normal 3 meals yesterday..feel good.

I was wondering about the weight situation..I lost about 1 kilo but then the hunger seemed to kick in and I overrate on Monday..just really felt ravenous..weighed myself yesterday (Tuesday) and I was back up. I was thinking about some of the things I've read re. Set point theory and the body defending itself against weight loss..is this what's happening? I just can't seem to get below my current weight without feeling this intense hunger kick in..I do need to say I am at a healthy bmi and I'm fit and active, but I'm the heaviest I've ever been and it doesn't feel good..hmmm..also TMI but it's just before that time of month so I always feel hungrier. I do feel good with food habits on the whole and my energy is great..I feel enthused to keep moving, and it is very important for my mood especially this time of year being Winter and Melbourne can be grey and drizzly and one can feel down..
I'll just keep moving along but if anyone has any input it's welcome.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:42 am

Hey, cedar! I'm doing well. I didn't use the mod today. I can't believe it... I had the option to include a little something sweet but just didn't feel like it! I really think its the psychological effect and knowing that if I really want it, I can. I used to really believe in set point. Most of my adult life I weighed in the 140's. It fluctuated,but always settled back down. Then I got older, and had a few rounds of steroids and couldn't walk for a few weeks. After that, my set point changed to to high 150's, but I didn't have to do a lot to keep it there. After I had my son, it seemed to always be 179 without any effort. I don't know what happened the last few years, but I'm afraid it will settle on a VERY high number. Why does it change?

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:21 am

MaggieMae wrote:Hey, cedar! I'm doing well. I didn't use the mod today. I can't believe it... I had the option to include a little something sweet but just didn't feel like it! I really think its the psychological effect and knowing that if I really want it, I can. I used to really believe in set point. Most of my adult life I weighed in the 140's. It fluctuated,but always settled back down. Then I got older, and had a few rounds of steroids and couldn't walk for a few weeks. After that, my set point changed to to high 150's, but I didn't have to do a lot to keep it there. After I had my son, it seemed to always be 179 without any effort. I don't know what happened the last few years, but I'm afraid it will settle on a VERY high number. Why does it change?
I think we have multiple set-points. I usually notice that I stall in weight loss around previous set-points. (That's my unscientific, unresearched opinion, LOL!)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:46 am

Today green x 3. :D just a quick check in today..very tired off to bed.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi Cedar!

I tried the mod you are implementing many years ago but I wasn't at the point where I could eliminate snacks yet so it didn't end up working for me. Sounds like you are doing great!

I wonder about setpoint as well. I spent most of my life in the low to med 150's, sometimes dipping into the 140's. After baby#1 I went through a divorce and basically stopped eating and dropped back down into the 140's and stayed there until baby #2. After baby #2 I couldn't get lower than 165. ( started at 200) Now, after baby number 3 (started at 200 again)I can't seem to get out of the 170's.. Argh!

I once read about resetting your set point, how after you lose about 15- 20% of your weight it will settle there as a new set point and you just have to wait. So, I'm not sure but I wish I knew the answer.

Good for you with 3 green days! :)

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:12 pm

cedar, don't worry about TMI about "that" time of the month lol. I always feel like my three meals that time of the month could consist of all sweets without my blinking an eye! :o And wow on all your activities, including your real-life shovelgloving! There's nothing quite like that activity for a whole body workout.

It's interesting discussing the set point theory. I tend to agree with Merry that our bodies have multiple set points, and stay at one or another of them based on a number of factors--time, comfort level, etc.

There was a veteran poster on here named BrightAngel who also has a "Diet Hobby" website. She posted a while ago here on another theory she has where weight/set point is concerned that I thought was very thought-provoking: she calls it a "ratchet." The link below should take you to her blog post describing it:

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=730

It definitely explains why it is so hard to keep weight from coming back, and why vigilance is an ongoing process with weight loss. You may want to peruse the diethobby website--I find many of the blog posts very interesting and informative! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:25 pm

" This biological truth is the basic problem that exists with all of those “Non-Diet”, “Intuitive Eating” theories. A reduced obese person cannot rely on one’s BODY to make or to keep him/her lean. In fact… it is just the OPPOSITE. A reduced obese person’s BODY has the specific biological imperative of refilling EACH fat cell to its basic quota, which will return that person back to his/her former obesity set point."

I've got to get to work but this is great and just what I needed to read after thinking about going the 'intuitive eating' route last night!! Nooooo! What's the definition of insanity? ....
Anyway thanks blessing for the link..I do remember brightangel from my years of lurking. I'll check back tonight

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:38 pm

LifeisaBlessing wrote:
MaggieMae wrote:My family is big on "letting our food settle" and then eating dessert later.
Oh, MaggieMae, I was grinnning ear-to-ear when I read this! :D I thought my family was the only one to use this term--haha!!! Glad to hear we're fellow "food settlers" lol! :)
Haha! :lol:

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:18 pm

It is so true, what you quoted there about an obese person, even once you reduce...my set point was 250 for years, and then 275 for a long time. No thank you. Clearly I have messed up my body's signals/intuition/what have you, and I have to learn what I feel like thru practice.

Thankfully, the NoS system seems to be working!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi Cedar,

I noticed you talked about being a little hungrier & saw an increase on the scale. That is EXACTLY how I am during that time of the month. It is by far the hardest time to keep myself from overeating & the scale is always a big higher than normal ):

I do think there is something to that set point. I keep getting to a weight I'm really happy with but than jump back up a couple of pounds when I have things come up like vacation & camping where everything is off. It almost feels like I'm sabotaging myself during these events because I do so well most other times but can't figure out how to have those things happen without backsliding.

Hope your doing well!! Always love your posts (:

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:42 pm

Jen1974 wrote:Hi Cedar,

I noticed you talked about being a little hungrier & saw an increase on the scale. That is EXACTLY how I am during that time of the month. It is by far the hardest time to keep myself from overeating & the scale is always a big higher than normal ):
me too!
i also noticed that the slight scale going up during that time is more due to water retention (but that again may be linked to the fact that, if i crave something, it is not sweets but salty foods).. and that goes away 3rd day into my period... and then comes a week or two being lighter than usual...
a lot of my female friends report the same phenomenon... ;)

note: i weigh myself only first thing in the morning (and as of recently on the same day of the week, wednesday) to exclude as much as possible daily and hourly scale variations...

cedar

Post by cedar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks ladies, yes I always find it funny after how many years of this I always have to remind myself "it's that time of month..it's ok!" I seem to be surprised by it each and every time??

Anyway I've had a bit of a 'backsliding' over the weekend, and I have come to the conclusion that for some reason at this time in my life my body doesn't seem to want to lose weight. I have been doing so well with my habit of 3 meals no snacking or seconds but as soon as I change my focus from habit to 'ok it's time to lose weight now let's start eating less' I have a really hard time and my eating goes overboard (like last night...hmmm).
Here's the thing, I have been trying to lose 3-5kgs ever since I can remember...even as a young 11 year old healthy girl. I found a piece of paper the other day with my weight written down..4kgs less than it is now and I had my goal weight as another 4 less than that. I really need to be realistic and accept that I am healthy and fit, and ok I'm not skinny but I'm a healthy bmi of 22(? or less). Maybe just maybe that's ok..and that's just me.

I read other people's weight and they are less than my weight and taller, but we are all different and I've fallen for the old comparing trick. I know that I can be normal with food, enjoy my life and eat 3 yummy decent meals a day with very limited snacking unless it's a special situation..I know this because it's what I've been doing very successfully for the last few months and my mood was balanced and sanity restored. If I am meant to lose weight in the future then I know it will happen without force and torture, but for now this is me and I'm going to commit to sticking with habit and no longer torturing myself over 3-4 kilos..life is too short and precious for that.

So I'm going to do my own check in on a paper calendar and journal and I'll just check in here 1nce a week or so until I feel I've restored my sanity a little and I'm not 'on or off anything' it's just life.

Thanks everyone for all the support and kindness over the last few months, I really do appreciate it..
Xxxxxx
:D

Emmama

Post by Emmama » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:41 am

If I am meant to lose weight in the future then I know it will happen without force and torture, but for now this is me and I'm going to commit to sticking with habit and no longer torturing myself over 3-4 kilos..life is too short and precious for that.
omg, I couldn't agree more. Honestly, I think it's the hardest part of normalizing eating: accepting that my body knows what it's doing. And to think of the (easily) thousands of hours that I've obsessed about my body, weight, appearance, etc. Life *is* too short for that![/quote]

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:04 am

Couldn't love your post more Cedar!! I'm pretty sure my goal weight has already been less than what I currently weigh &#128540; Little restrictive = success for me (success isn't necessarily weight loss!!). And too restrictive = epic fail. Even when sometimes a little restrictive still means backsliding for a bit. Sometimes that is what is best for situation!! Hope you still come check in some!!

HoneyBeeNYC

Post by HoneyBeeNYC » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:04 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:It is so true, what you quoted there about an obese person, even once you reduce...my set point was 250 for years, and then 275 for a long time. No thank you. Clearly I have messed up my body's signals/intuition/what have you, and I have to learn what I feel like thru practice.

I don't believe that anyone eats intuitively.

Of course, everyone gets hungry - but how many of us, if starving, would eat live grubs? The central desert Australian Aboriginal people used to think they were delicacies - and I've read that they taste wonderful and are full of fat and protein. I don't meant to disgust you, but to point out that not only weight-reduced/formerly obese, or obese people don't eat intuitively. It's all very learned.

The average woman in the 1950s was eating a lot less than the average women now. Intuitively, or socially induced?

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:17 pm

HoneyBeeNYC wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:It is so true, what you quoted there about an obese person, even once you reduce...my set point was 250 for years, and then 275 for a long time. No thank you. Clearly I have messed up my body's signals/intuition/what have you, and I have to learn what I feel like thru practice.

I don't believe that anyone eats intuitively.

Of course, everyone gets hungry - but how many of us, if starving, would eat live grubs? The central desert Australian Aboriginal people used to think they were delicacies - and I've read that they taste wonderful and are full of fat and protein. I don't meant to disgust you, but to point out that not only weight-reduced/formerly obese, or obese people don't eat intuitively. It's all very learned.

The average woman in the 1950s was eating a lot less than the average women now. Intuitively, or socially induced?

excellent points. Who eats grubs, intuitively hahaha...and yes, they are considered a delicacy. I've heard about it, and have seen video of natives, and missionaries, eating grubs.

You're quite right about the social pressure to overeat...the opportunities to snack and the portions sizes alone have increased hundred fold.

I guess what I mean by intuitive eating is someone like my son, who is tall and skinny. He does not continue to put food in his mouth once his stomach is satisfied, and have no qualms about leaving food on his plate. There are people who know when to stop, based on body signals they still listen to. Eating to the morbidly obese point means I lost the ability to "hear" my body. Not many in our culture have that sense anymore. It's a shame.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:46 pm

oh, cedar, did i understand you correctly and you are going back to vanilla noS?

hey, im planning to check in less frequently, too, once im sure the habit has well rooted in... for sure not before i come back from the holidays in italy and croatia... im not there yet with my mind! or lack confidence in that area, maybe...
im happy that you have already arrived at that place!
but true, you really nailed those 21 days challenges so well! it didnt seem like a struggle at all and it gave you piece of mind!

just make sure not to forget to let us know how you are doing! :D

(oh and bmi of 22 is perfectly healthy as well as beautiful... and many dream of having it!)

HoneyBeeNYC

Post by HoneyBeeNYC » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:12 am

excellent points. Who eats grubs, intuitively hahaha...and yes, they are considered a delicacy. I've heard about it, and have seen video of natives, and missionaries, eating grubs.

You're quite right about the social pressure to overeat...the opportunities to snack and the portions sizes alone have increased hundred fold.

I guess what I mean by intuitive eating is someone like my son, who is tall and skinny. He does not continue to put food in his mouth once his stomach is satisfied, and have no qualms about leaving food on his plate. There are people who know when to stop, based on body signals they still listen to. Eating to the morbidly obese point means I lost the ability to "hear" my body. Not many in our culture have that sense anymore. It's a shame.
OK, got it - you're right - some people just cannot overeat. I can't overdrink. I loathe hard liquor, and one beer or glass of wine is enough. But some people don't have that internal stop mechanism.

But the intuitive eating movement is (I think) based on a failed premise that you can somehow uncover this innate talent in all of us. It didn't work that way for me. I've been through the mill, just like you. And you're probably right that in the case of an obese person, this is really silly. If intuitive eating worked, they wouldn't have become obese. Not meaning that in a blaming/shaming way, just pointing out a fact.

I think at least partly the OE resulted from the fact that a lot of people just don't have that "stop" sense, plus society stopped pressuring people to look a certain way. Now I happen to think that's a good thing. I would not want to go back to the 50s. But we kind of threw out the baby with the bathwater.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Taking a sanity break can be a great thing, cedar, so no worries! :) It's all about making things work for you. Hope to hear back from you whenever you're ready. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Just a quick check in. I've had my brother visiting and work has been really busy but I've stuck to 3 meals no snacking apart from yesterday when I didn't time things well and got stuck at soccer training with my son, I just had some chocolate to get me through until we could get home to dinner.
I'm feeling much more relaxed, I feel I've got the basic habit down so I can loosen up a little like virtual plate more.. I'm tempted to not keep the habit cal for no s just for my 10,000 steps which I've kept up..I just want to feel like I'm not 'on anything' to manage my eating with boundaries yes but also common sense and balance..I might give it a week of not keeping track and see if it will work.

I am still doing the 7 days a week 3 meals of anything I like but I'm taking the focus off weight loss and just trying to enjoy life and respect my body..not overstuff it to get to the next meal and not deprive it in order to lose weight.

Hope everyone is well.
8)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:38 pm

yees! great to hear this, cedar! :)

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:35 pm

Great job, cedar! Keeping the three meals as stress-free as possible is a very smart approach.
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:12 am

How are things going, Cedar? Hope all is well! :D