No Regret New Year's

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

No Regret New Year's

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:20 pm

I don't mean to take away from the monthly challenges, but I'd like to provide a huddle space specifically for navigating the holidays, esp. in light of the link I posted previously.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 54110.html

UPDATE: I'm adding a related link. This one shows that unlike the results reported above, some people don't lose that weight by the spring, and it's more likely those overweight already gain more than the already "normal" weight.

http://nutritionreviews.oxfordjournals. ... 8.abstract

I've had some wobbling this year and feel I'm getting back on track. But we know it can be easy to get waylaid. My first attempt at No S was a successful week just before Thanksgiving 2008. I floundered after that and didn't recover until Dec. 26 of the following year!

I want to reach New Year's Day this year with no regrets for how I ate this holiday season. (Actually, I believe in not having regret anyway, but it's a lot easier when I've been moderate.)

I respectfully ask that this NOT be about maintaining or losing weight, but about habits. People can do some crazy things to get to or even maintain a certain weight. If my habits are good, I'll accept the results.

The trick will be that it's a little harder to drew a bright line around the behavior. It would be perfectly possible to stick to plates and still get stuffed. I don't want to leave holiday events, and some will occur on N days, stuffed right then or later, but it might be a lot to ask that it NEVER happens.

So, I'm not completely defining what it means this minute, but I know I want to do it, and I think it will be supportive for me and not a dagger hanging over my head.

I also want to be mindful that having time-related goals CAN lead to a pendulum swing later. I hope going back to just a regular monthly challenge will be enough for that.

So, who wants to reach New Year's Day with no regrets? Open for discussion/ commitment
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:46 am

That's way farther ahead than I'm able to think right now, LOL! I'm hoping to get through THANKSGIVING with no regrets! (And, well, I know I'll have no regrets either way just because I'll be with family and we'll have a good time). But I'm really bad about days on habit when I'm away from home or having guests, and this year I'm going to try really hard to have Wednesday and Saturday actually be green days. I just don't think I really truly need to turn every visit into a sea of yellow and red days! Thursday will be a yellow day of course, and my normal Friday and Sunday yellow days, but I'm going to try really hard to have Wednesday and Saturday be regular green days. When they pull out the late night party snacks, to stick to tea or coffee or water and just enjoy the company and regular meals.

I started No-S almost exactly one year ago, after gaining 3-4 lbs. Thanksgiving week. (I often do that when I'm with family, and often keep that weight and slowly go up from there until the next holiday, bump up more, etc...) I hope it's not breaking your wish to not talk about weight to mention that--but it was finally reaching a point where I wanted to break that cycle and make long-term changes to my eating patterns that brought me back to No-S. I knew I needed lifestyle changes--and this year has brought so many for me, and now I feel ready to try to tackle another lifestyle change--how I eat around extended family. I don't really have any kind of weight-goal in mind (I expect I'll still bump up something, even if I do have green days on Wed. & Sat!), but wanting to start to shift what my habits look like with extended family is definitely on my mind.

Beyond that, I haven't thought about December much yet! Will have to tackle that later!

Great thread :-).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:11 am

Did you see my post with a link to Wansink research about holiday weight gain? In the U. S, and Finland? See, people don't even have to have a Thanksgiving for it to happen!

I bet when you look back, it wasn't just that you gained but that you were FEELING heavy from having gotten used to overeating and were feeling too full a lot of the time. (People don't usually "feel" fat unless they keep wearing clothes that are too tight OR they never get hungry. Of course, the more often you get hungry, the likelier it is you'll lose weight. But the right amount is what keeps it off.)

I didn't mean that weight gain couldn't be an incentive, although I stand by what's really uncomfortable, just that I didn't want weight loss or maintenance to be a strong focus.

See if you don't want to join after next weekend. If not, no worries. I'll see you on other threads!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:33 pm

I'm planning to have three green days, enjoy thanksgiving, and then have a green Friday. If I can stick to that, it will really boost my confidence that I can stick to he habit. You've inspired me to focus on habit,not weigh. I weighed myself this morning so maybe I'll make it part of my goals to not weigh again until after holidays. The day after thanksgiving is gonna be hard because my family will still be in town and they'll be snacking all day long. My brother is a permasnacker. I can borrow merry's idea of making something hot to drink and just enjoying the company.

noni

Post by noni » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:21 pm

My trouble spot also starts on Thanksgiving through to NY's Day. Actually, it has always gone beyond that, because that is my throwing-in-the-towel time. I have ditched No S and anything else I employed (like fasting 2xweek - last round, not now). It begins with permasnacking; the actual dinners are not the problem, so much. I do the cooking on Thanksgiving and Christmas and don't have much of an appetite until later on in the evening when everyone leaves. But early Dec. I have to make 8-9 large trays of fudge for family gifts, plus fruitcake (if you can believe that). I'm not a fan of either (thank you, Lord), but I do test and sample the fudge at times. It's really not needed, though, because I have been making it for years, and got the recipes down pat. And even so, I have other family members more than willing to do that for me.

Unfortunately, weight is my main concern (which really ought to be the blasted heartburn). So when the weight crawls back, I ditch everything (makes sense, right?).

My plan is to continue the monthly challenge which will help me keep No S going, no matter my behavior. I don't expect much from me, but hoping for more greens than previous years. I just don't want to toss No S away for a time as twice before because of the holidays. That will be a great improvement for me.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:15 pm

I'm starting by not letting myself nibble this afternoon. The next challenge will be eating lightly enough at a buffet tonight that I don't feel too full later. That will be key to arriving at New Year's with no regret this year. I know I always feel so much better after such events when I eat less than I want at the time and leave unstuffed, but I'm out of practice with how to do that without a bit of angst. I accept that it will take some practice and I may have to err on the side of caution. I am spending the next week eating catered buffets. I'll have plenty of chances to overeat on other days if I somehow deprive myself tonight! But I have a feeling I'll learn that I can have a very good time enjoying less food.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ceo418

Post by ceo418 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:34 pm

I'm hoping to better follow the habits this year. For Thanksgiving week, Monday and Tuesday are N- days, Wednesday will most likely be an S- day because I am going to try to donate blood, Thursday is an S- day, and Friday is an N- day. I know there are going to be several appetizers at my boyfriend's parent's house and pasta along with the turkey (Italian family), so my plan is to try to stick to one small plate of appetizers and take a small amount of different foods at dinner. His sister and mother have been very vocal about the diets they've been on and the weight they've lost recently, so by staying on habit through the week I'm trying to fend off the inner weight loss conversations going on in my brain.

I, too, would like to get through the holiday season without a lot of stuffed- feeling occasions and be able to be happy with how I stuck to my habits. Last year was not a success, but I'm hoping to be different this year. I'm already planning out my holiday baking in terms of how much I plan to give away at various functions. I'm buying a few holiday chocolate treats now so I can enjoy them on S- days throughout December.

I'm also continuing my usual exercise routine through the holidays so that can help me feel better about my decisions. By New Year's, I hope that I can feel stronger with No- S.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:40 pm

What do people think is the best way to work as a group on this? Should we just dial in to each other's individual threads and be diligent in keeping up there with reporting or reflecting, depending on how detailed we want to be? (I have to admit, I'm not very good about posting on my own thread. I'm more likely to keep up with one where other people also post because I get email reminders! How's that for focus?)

Or cut and paste from individual threads to here?

Or create little calendars like the ones on the monthly challenges but keep it only for this special focus?

I'd like to consolidate the effort and feel some connection with people who are trying to do something similar but don't come from the diet-head, food-loving/hating, can't-eat-what-I-want, ultimately failing-and-hating-myself element. That will be out there plenty and it's hard enough to try to send the message-scrambling vibes to.

And I do think the holiday season merits this focus since so many posters over the years have talked about falling apart at the holidays and actually never recovering until they dragged themselves back (often heavier than they ended the season.)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:23 pm

I'll do a check in here today until others voice their preferences.

My first buffet supper. There are always TOO MANY choices of foods. It's almost impossible not to take a lot of food if I try even 2/3 of what's offered, even if I take small amounts, and I don't like looking at a couple of mouthful portions on my plate, unless it's a condiment.

I ate everything I took. It is still terribly hard for me to leave food on my plate. Maybe this is the week to experiment. But I'd rather just get good at taking about the right amount to start!

The dessert was dense single layer chocolate cake wedges with a strawberry. I think it was flourless. It was fantastic and I ate two. I just wasn't ready to eat less of that. I know there will be desserts every day and I won't be taking some to freeze for the weekend, so I'm going to enjoy now, but I will have only one serving a meal today. Eating multiples at all holiday events is something I think I'd regret come New Year's. The Thanksgiving, 12/24 and 12/25 are different.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ceo418

Post by ceo418 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:32 pm

I haven't had any holiday social events yet, but I think you're off to a good start, Oolala. I know that in December we'll be having a department party here at work where we all bring something in, and the past few years I've eaten lunch AND indulged in the party foods just a couple of hours later. That's way too much, and it's something I need to look at in my own habits.

Right now my focus is on getting through Thanksgiving without regrets about how much I ate. I'll be bringing a tray of cookies and chocolates, and have had to remind myself several times that I'm only needing to bring enough for seven people, and that there will probably be at least one other dessert there. I've had the "eat as much as possible" ingrained in me for so long that it's hard to judge how much I should bring to share without feeling bad when most of it comes back home with me.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:31 pm

ceo418 wrote: I know that in December we'll be having a department party here at work where we all bring something in, and the past few years I've eaten lunch AND indulged in the party foods just a couple of hours later. That's way too much, and it's something I need to look at in my own habits.
Just a suggestion, but if you know that you'll be having a department party on a certain day (since these things are usually planned in advance), why not skip your normal lunch that day and count the party as your "lunch"? That way, you're still keeping to the three meals concept, and you can enjoy some of the special foods that will be at the party. :)

Another suggestion for party-heavy days, or knowing in advance you'll be having a "heavy" meal later in the day (i.e., Thanksgiving Dinner, Christmas Dinner, etc.): Eat lighter than you normally would at the other non-celebration meals during the day. You'll keep to the three-meal habit, have more room for indulgences, and stay on track. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

ceo418

Post by ceo418 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm planning to take that day as an S-day, so it's not really the number of meals or snacks that concerns me. That day I could wait to eat breakfast until I get to work, otherwise it would be about 9 hours between breakfast and the party. I'll figure it out as I get closer. I'll probably end up just bringing in something very light, like yogurt or some soup, for lunch so I still have something of an appetite for the party food! :)

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:54 pm

ceo418 wrote: Right now my focus is on getting through Thanksgiving without regrets about how much I ate. I'll be bringing a tray of cookies and chocolates, and have had to remind myself several times that I'm only needing to bring enough for seven people, and that there will probably be at least one other dessert there. I've had the "eat as much as possible" ingrained in me for so long that it's hard to judge how much I should bring to share without feeling bad when most of it comes back home with me.
Freeze the remainders for another outing! Cookies and chocolates should keep pretty well.

Or, take some baggies with you, and split up what's left. Send a few home with each co-worker to take to their families so you aren't hauling it all home. Or save yourself one small baggie for your next S day.
Respect Moderation

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Well, my Thanksgiving cookies are baked! Iced Pumpkin and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip. I did not lick the bowl, spoon, or beaters, I did not snitch scoops of raw cookie dough, and I did not taste freshly baked cookies! Honestly, it wasn't that hard at all. I thought it would bother me, and it really didn't (and I got plastic up on the windows while they were baking too!)

One thing I have noticed is that I really enjoy the smell of baked goods, and I find myself paying attention to that and "drinking in" the smells more when I don't eat sweets. Last night, my hands still smelled like cinnamon and cloves and nutmeg and ginger, even after I washed up.

There are times when I'm sure baking and not eating any would drive me nuts (maybe that's because I usually bake things you can easily take--like cookies--rather than things that you cut into like cakes or pies, where something missing would be noticed). But I'm surprised that it also doesn't bother me at times--something I wouldn't have thought possible in the past.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Been officially failing every day, but not panicking. Am I kidding myself using the "vacation" excuse? (I actually usually do Vanilla on regular vacations, but they aren't usually filled with food, either.) I just haven't been able to convince myself that resisting is worth the pain, and I don't feel terribly full. It's repeated times of that feeling in my memory that I think would lead me to feel regret on New Year's.

But I probably need to try to quantify the feeling in my mind a bit better and then resolve to record success or failure here. I'm avoiding trying to quantify the amount but that may be a better bet, though I feel some distaste for that these days.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:14 am

oolala53 wrote: I don't feel terribly full.
This is such a slippery thing for me to define--and there's such a wide difference in what I can eat and not feel full vs. when I've crossed that line.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:10 am

I'm feeling a bit iffy today, like if I can't start getting more compliant, I am going to have regret at New Year's. Despite feeling bloated (and then finding that a pair of jeans that didn't fit tight just a couple of weeks ago now do), I still snicky-snacked today on peanut butter I bought on a whim because it was on sale at Target. Have't bought PB in a loooong time! And a big bag of popcorn the day before. Not even that good!

Nothing else to do but try again tomorrow.
Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:32 am

Oolala I have always admired your honesty and commitment to NoS. Not sure this novice can give much advice to such an experienced NoS-er apart from mark it and move on! Hang on in there, I guess you know it will eventually get better.
Am slightly dreading the festive season although here in the UK we don't really get going until early/mid December, so the willpower isn't being tested too much yet.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 am

Thank you, Bluebell. I probably won't get tested much very soon, either, so there is time for re-establishing some streaks. And finish November green.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

CamperRose

Post by CamperRose » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:48 pm

This is such a great thread - so helpful to me. Besides straight up No-S, one thing which has helped me in the past and which I am committing to again during the holiday season is to have a goal of being hungry at least once a day. Last year when I committed to No S in earnest, one of the reasons I did so was that I was NEVER hungry! I realized that was a problem, or at least a symptom of a problem. I started No S then and the hunger between meals came back, but the first real sign to me that I am straying or having too big portions or out of control weekends is the lack of hunger. So that's my focus to keep things in line this season - aim to be hungry at least once a day.

Thank you oolala for starting this post and making me think about how to rein it in this season.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:16 pm

That guided me for years. I can't count on it now, though it did happen today. It's a good stipulation for getting ready for holidays.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:06 am

I've given "no regret new years" some thought because I know I can over eat doing No S.

Today a sales rep dropped in the first of the Xmas goodies (decorative box of wafer biscuits) and I know there are a few hampers coming my way from other businesses. I briefly thought I could have one on saturday, but if I have a treat I don't want to waste it on a wafer biscuit!

I would like to eat things I actually want (not eat things because they are there). If I was able to do that I think I would have no regrets, but this ideal has an 'intuitive eating' feel to it (for me) and I have failed miserably at that in the past.

.... so I guess I'm still thinking

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:55 am

Bullisaba wrote: I would like to eat things I actually want (not eat things because they are there). If I was able to do that I think I would have no regrets, but this ideal has an 'intuitive eating' feel to it (for me) and I have failed miserably at that in the past.

.... so I guess I'm still thinking
Maybe a more concrete goal would be to ask yourself, "Do I really want this?" before you eat a treat (or any food that you are wanting to apply this to--but I think it would be easier to start with treats). Then meeting your goal is not necessarily knowing the answer to the question (and you might not always be sure), but asking the question. Make the best decision you can at that point but success is stopping to ask the question.
Respect Moderation

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:47 am

Merry, asking yourself questions about how you are feeling before and while you are eating is the backbone of intuitive eating. I have not found it that helpful because it does not help with moderation or food choices (for me).

For example my partner gets pizza and garlic bread most Friday nights and brings the leftovers home to eat Saturday. I always eat a piece of garlic bread on Saturday. I would not fix myself garlic bread because it is not something I crave until it is on my kitchen bench. Once I see it I want it and when I'm hungry I eat it.

Its much easier for me to make good food choices when I am surrounded by healthy food. Its also much easier for me to make poor food decisions when I am surrounded by junk food.

Note: I have nothing against garlic bread its just an example

8)

CamperRose

Post by CamperRose » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:09 am

Hi Bullisaba,
I used to binge eat all the time - it didn't really matter why or when and it was most often sweets. Over the past year I have improved in that area, fewer binging events and smaller bingers when they do occur. What helped me most was to set "standards" of what sweets I eat. (I use quotes around "standards" because my standards are probably similar to a five-year olds.

How that works is this - I say no to grocery store bakery desserts (weird mouth feel and taste to me); sweet breads such as pumpkin or banana because not "treat-y" enough. Yes to chocolate chip cookies, no to most other cookies.

In my mind, it's not rules but just default settings of my preferences.

(Note, I'm not saying at that you binge but I just wanted to suggest that perhaps rather than looking at it as whether you want something which I think you're saying is intuitive, perhaps it might be helpful to decide in advance what your S day treats are NOT going to be so that way you are limited your choices to what is really delish.)

Good luck to you - I'm sure you will find a good way to solve this.

Rose

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:10 am

Bullisaba wrote:Merry, asking yourself questions about how you are feeling before and while you are eating is the backbone of intuitive eating. I have not found it that helpful because it does not help with moderation or food choices (for me).
For some reason I thought you were wanting to do that though but just felt it wasn't concrete (because it doesn't always help you), so I was thinking that focusing on asking the question rather than focusing on how you answer would be a more concrete goal. But now I'm not sure why I thought you were wanting to pursue that--must have read into your post, sorry!

I do get the whole thing of intuitive eating not working (never worked for me either). I find that I'm sometimes (but not always) able to answer the question of whether I want something easier now after focusing on No-S though, interestingly enough.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:28 pm

Feeling back in the groove. Grace.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:33 pm

Merry, I still feel my thoughts can be very diet like even though I have been doing no s for a while (ten months I think). I look at some foods and think I wont have that it is very high in calories, or even worse I won't have that because I have no idea how many calories are in it. I don't actually add the calories up, but sometimes I might as well.

My weight is fine. I'm in my healthy weight range and have been all through using no s. I'm a slow learner I think :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Brian Wansink says slim people "watch" what they eat. It's only exceptions that never think about food or never monitor it all. If you think about it, when you think, oh, that has a lot of calories, you're probably also recognizing that it would make you too full or ruin your appetite, etc. Slim people do that all the time.

And cultures that were not exposed to modern foods tend to fall for them just as we have. You are right that there is a great advantage to being around the "right" stuff. He has shown over and over that nearly all people are susceptible to eating more in food-rich situations. He's a big fan of making habits out of rather "natural" ways to curb food-rich situations.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:34 am

I started December green and have had pretty good S days. I'm SLIGHTLY empty feeling now before bed and I like it.

I'm feeling inspired to eat simply, what I call Blue Zoning it, when I'm on my own. This way, when I do have social chances come to have more holiday food, I will value them more. And I do actually like my simple fare.

I also want to use up more of what's in my freezer!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:11 pm

I dunno what happened to all that.,as I think I've been mostly failing. However, the good news, I guess, is that it takes only one good meal gap to feel I'm back on track and that I haven't ruined things! I guess also knowing I still have two weeks to "prove" myself keeps me on an even keel about it all emotionally, if not in my eating.

It's also been hazy what would constitute being reasonable, though it shouldn't.

But it's occurring to me that one bright line would be just don't buy sweets unless I'm taking them to an event right after buying them. No buying anything extra after events not matter HOW good an idea it seems to be at the time. :roll: Seems so obvious.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:24 am

oolala53 wrote:I dunno what happened to all that.,as I think I've been mostly failing. However, the good news, I guess, is that it takes only one good meal gap to feel I'm back on track and that I haven't ruined things!
I so appreciate this about No-S! Hope we can all end December strong! I'm glad for an N day tomorrow after too much sugar at a party today!
Respect Moderation

ceo418

Post by ceo418 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Yes, Merry, I'm glad for an N day as well. I'm looking forward to this coming weekend, and I think I can go into Christmas Eve/Day with some planned treats and feel satisfied. Despite the red days this month, I still think I'm doing well overall.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Once again, I'll be trying to "eat down" the contents of the fridge before I go away over the weekend. I have mostly "good" food in my fridge (just my habit), and no big food events this week or next. I see no big obstacles for now.

I also don't want to regret spending too much time on this...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:51 am

Yesterday I felt like no regrets might be a sinking ship as I ate through quite a bit of discounted Christmas candy. Feeling okay today. Wansink says those who lose or maintain are good at cutting back afterwards. He made it sound like they don't resort to binge-and-restrict, though. I'm allowing myself thoughts of rather indulgent meals tomorrow, if I want. That usually gets me through and when the time comes, I feel like just going back to my modest fare.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:11 am

Monday I was so glad for an N day, it wasn't hard at all for me, but today, all the goodies still out on the counter started calling to me. I left them alone though! I've got my stash in the freezer (and I've got a stash of chocolate from my stocking in my desk drawer--I'm kind of excited to see how long it might last me this year!)
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:18 am

Wansink says the only food on a counter associated with a lower weight is fruit. Everything else is risky. Just saying.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:43 am

oolala53 wrote:Wansink says the only food on a counter associated with a lower weight is fruit. Everything else is risky. Just saying.
So, where does he suggest putting the holiday cookies in a family situation? I'm not sure we really have another place TO put them, LOL!
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:26 am

Inside an opaque container behind a cabinet door. I know families don't always do that, but that's one of his suggestions about ways to be on a diet without knowing you're on a diet. (I'm paraphrasing.)

Don't mean to get off on a tangent, but I think many of the proposed supporting habits for something like No S are almost as hard to stick to as it is to follow some diet book's meals. Humans are opportunistic eaters and we've had so many restrictions lifted in the last 50-60 years. (But only my maternal grandfather was slim. I don't know if the others snacked a lot or just ate big meals, but they were chunky, though their offspring mostly weren't. Grandparents, all immigrants, were fat long before the era of excess.)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:51 am

Yeah, that's what I thought he'd say. Not a lot of cupboard space unfortunately!
Respect Moderation

noni

Post by noni » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:44 pm

In my house any store bought cookies go into a tin in a cupboard. Not tempting to me. The homemade cookies go into a freezer. I just take out a little at a time. The rest of the family helps me eat them.

About two months ago I bought three multi packs of my favorite chocolate candies (the smaller kind but not those silly tiny ones) and gave them to my son and asked him to hide them away somewhere and I'll ask for all three on my S days. It got to the point where he was rebuking me for wanting them on a Sat AND a Sunday, and an argument ensued. Well, I'm going to do my best not to buy those candies too often - or at least only one bag at a time - so I don't hurt me and my son's relationship :)

It's been a tough month for me, full of red days, weight gain and heartburn. But the difference between this Holiday season and those in the past is, I would get very discouraged and give it all up, then come crawling back, wishing I hadn't. This time giving up hasn't even crossed my mind, and I'm feeling hopeful this coming year.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:27 pm

noni wrote:About two months ago I bought three multi packs of my favorite chocolate candies (the smaller kind but not those silly tiny ones) and gave them to my son and asked him to hide them away somewhere and I'll ask for all three on my S days.
I have my husband hide stuff all the time! For Christmas, we got a large Reese cup Santa and a box of Russell Stover chocolates. I had my husband hide them and I hope to enjoy them tomorrow. I accidentally found them the other day but didn't touch them! My husband told me he had opened them. I'm going to be soooo mad if he ate all the Reese cup! :(
I would say I was half and half on red vs green days. Was sick a lot so definitely didn't exercise as much as I normally would have.

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:17 am

noni wrote: But the difference between this Holiday season and those in the past is, I would get very discouraged and give it all up, then come crawling back, wishing I hadn't. This time giving up hasn't even crossed my mind, and I'm feeling hopeful this coming year.
Yay! Keep it up, so glad you are feeling hopeful. No-S makes getting back into a good routine seem so doable. You can do this!
Respect Moderation

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Thank you for the encouragement, Merry, and a good year for you, too, as well as all our No Ser's!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:04 pm

noni, I have had those phases, too. Merry, I don't have cabinet doors! in my 498 sq. ft place!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:52 am

oolala53 wrote:noni, I have had those phases, too. Merry, I don't have cabinet doors! in my 498 sq. ft place!
Wow, you must be getting very efficient in using your space!
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:16 pm

I wouldn't say that... often it's what the Flylady calls CHAOS: Can't Have Anyone Over syndrome.

It's occurring to me I should really start now to plan for a No Regrets New Year on the decluttering front. I know it sounds sad for that to be on my Bucket List, but it is. I've been all over the world. I'd trade some of that for the habit of more peace on the "organizing possessions" front.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23