Welcome

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Welcome

Post by Over43 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:41 am

2017 is here. And with it comes a new group of No Sers who are bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Those of us who have been here since we were young can tell you, this is not magic.

Yes I have lost 25 lbs. eating three meals a day consisting of Hamburger Helper, Subway, and chicken fried bacon (I made that up. Sounds good though...). I would even have a can of Coke with dinner. But, when I quit with the three commandments of No S, the weight returned.

There are no magic foods (i.e. the disdainfully named "superfoods") you need to get anxiety ridden over. So, throw out your Alaska Blueberry juice and all that poo Dr. Oz wants you to ingest. (During my wonder years a superfood was an orange or banana...)

Really, just sit back, practice the three esses, take a walk, and relax. I have congenital back problems, so I swim. Whatever.

I think most of us who have been around awhile have learned, the more you start fiddling with No S, the less it becomes No S.

And yes, you can low carb and do No S, you can be a vegan and be a No Ser, you can juice and No S, you can eat how you want within the parameters. Remember, I hit the Seven Mile Beach at 172 eating Hamburger Helper.

Most of us, come and go. But many of us go, and then comeback. If you are new and bleep up, start again at that moment. There is no induction, a handful of Hershey Kisses on Thursday is not going to be the catalyst for a fifteen pound weight gain. (May the late Robert Atkins rest in peace...)

Well, hopefully many of you will be around in 2018. Good luck!

Edit: I am not telling anyone they should eat Hamburger Helper, I am just saying that is what I ate. I did avoid the mac and cheese with hot dogs however... :wink:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

This_is_it

Re: Welcome

Post by This_is_it » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:23 am

Over43 wrote:
Really, just sit back, practice the three esses, take a walk, and relax. I have congenital back problems, so I swim. Whatever.

I think most of us who have been around awhile have learned, the more you start fiddling with No S, the less it becomes No S.
This is exactly what i am planning to do. :D

Good luck to you too, this upcoming year.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Well said Over 43. I have started and abandoned No S so many times precisely because I fail with one small thing (like a bar of chocolate), make out like it's the end of the world and then spend months eating like an idiot.

This time I'm having a different attitude - a slip up is a slip up and I will get right back on it.

Thanks for the pep talk :D
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:35 pm

I love this post!!!!! One thing I love is that I CAN eat hamburger helper or fast food. I'm not a gourmet chef and my husband and little boy won't eat kale and sprouts for dinner. Thanks for the reminder, over43, that three meals a day really is the answer. Congrats on the weight you've lost.

Lizzy6

Post by Lizzy6 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Wise words!

Tortie

Post by Tortie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Thank you for the welcome, and the gentle reminders, Over43. A very helpful post.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:55 am

Great advice, thanks for posting this!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:37 am

You say NoS is not magic, and I understand the context within which you make this statement.
But NoS does feel a bit like magic to me! The way it is gradually changing my mindset with what feels like minimal effort on my part is quite simply brilliant. Knowing that this is something I can follow for life is in fact life changing for me. Breaking the yoyo dieting that has been my downfall for the whole of my adult life is so freeing.
NoS is helping me find sanity around food, something I had pretty much given up on.
So thank you for the magic NoS!

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:45 pm

"Really, just sit back, practice the three esses, take a walk, and relax. I have congenital back problems, so I swim. Whatever."

No more shovelgolve?Urban ranger?
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:13 pm

No, no Urban Ranger, or shovel glove. For me. I have access to a pool, and I use much fewer pain pills when I swim. What did Clint Eastwood say in Heartbreak Ridge concerning adaptation? :D
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

noni

Post by noni » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:34 pm

"What did Clint Eastwood say in Heartbreak Ridge concerning adaptation?"

Please tell us!
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:01 pm

noni wrote:"What did Clint Eastwood say in Heartbreak Ridge concerning adaptation?"

Please tell us!
He quotes a cred of the Marines: Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:06 pm

By the way @Over43:

I love the idea of this thread. Welcome the newcomers and returners and calm them down.

The greatest crime of the diet-industry in my book is the amount of uncertainty and anxiousness they are creating.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature