Getting back on track

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

newlib

Getting back on track

Post by newlib » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm

So, from the beginning of October I was loving No S, the weight was coming off slowly but surely, I had bags of energy and was excersizing most days. Most of all, No S helped me address my disastrous eating habits and get into some sort of normal pattern.

Then Christmas came along, my excersize classes weren't on over the holidays and for the last 4 weeks I have done nothing but eat, feel tired and have absolutely no motivation :( so far the weight gain has been minimal but I feel so bloated and totally out of control around food again.

I desperately want to get back on track and get back into a No S routine because it works on so many levels. How do you all get back on track when you have fallen off the wagon.

Looking for some inspiration and hoping posting on these boards will help as you all seem to be very committed to No S

Coffeegal

Post by Coffeegal » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:39 pm

Try, try, and try again. I've started and failed at No S many times. This year I decided to commit to vanilla No-S for a year, and I'm tracking in the monthly spread. The hardest part is when my family decides to pull out the desserts. :evil: Teenagers don't think about Mom's diet plan.

I'm giving myself permission to make special meals if I don't feel like eating what's available. I just have to stick to the one plate meal.

The other trick is I'm adding more to my plate than I normally would. I figure I'll reduce the plate size when the No-S habit is established. Right now my goal is to keep from taking seconds or snacking. :wink:

I'm only in my 2nd week back on the wagon though....

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:39 pm

Ah yes, Off-the-Track. I know that place, been there so often, I considered buying real estate there.

But to be serious: It’s ok, to fall off the wagon, even to stay off it for some time. It takes time to form a habit. When you are ready to continue you journey, you can always climb back on.

I don’t know, if I’m the right guy to inspire you to do so. From other diets I know you should visualize how good you will look with the body and how good you will feel when you are healthy, but I always thought that these are very superficial images and don’t really help. I for one could not really imagine how to feel fit, healthy and “skinny” until I reached that state.

But what I could imagine was a feeling of peace with food, with my eating, with life itself. Because it is remarkable how much time and energy you waste on thinking about food, exercise and diets, when you don’t got this mindset. Just look at yourself right know for a minute:

I should be exercising! I should be eating! Why don’t I eat after this plan? Why am I hungry? Where is my motivation to eat right? Why is this hard? OMG how many calories had this last lunch? Why do I feel bloated?

And now try to imagine how little space of your mind eating, food and exercising could occupy if you automated it with simple, moderate systems. How much energy and creativity you could invest instead in the things in life that really count.

Health and fitness should be like the infrastructure of your life, not like your whole world. I don’t think all day about the streets in my town, I just drive on them. And neither do I think all day about how I eat, should eat or if I should exercise.

I just wake up, shovelglove for 14 minute, eat a plate of something I like and then ranger off in my day.

Don’t let these things be your burden, let them become an subconscious habit.

I’m a longtime NoSler, combined with shovelglove (more like 14 minutes of moving) and urban rangering. It took me a lot attempts to get there, but the systems became my baseline, my default actions, much like brushing my teeth or trimming my beard.

The only regret I have in this regard is, how long it took me to understand them and how much precious time of my life I wasted with thinking and learning about diets, exercise and food.

I got 35 this year, and a couple of days before that I noticed, that I didn’t care for a new diet craze that was hyped in another forum I frequent. I really made my peace with food.

Might be a worthwhile goal for you too?

P.S. Sorry, English is still my second language.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi, newlib! I'm another person who has fell off the NO S wagon many times. The best thing about NO S is that you just wake up and eat three meals and you're back on track. No need to go buy special shakes or stock your fridge with bacon and eggs ( shout out to Atkins). Check out the thread no S one year challenge2017. Join us..... One year of just focusing on habit. If you fall off, just mark it and get back on. Best of luck!

newlib

Post by newlib » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Thank you all very much for the detailed and helpful replies.

Now I have put it back into some sort of perspective, it really is just eating 3 plates a day and moving as much as possible.

When I sit and think about my day, that is what I have actually done without even thinking about it, so technically, I am confirming myself back on track :)

Looking forward to a positive day today. Much love to the No S community xx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:39 pm

Just to reinforce, remember how much better you probably felt about your whole eating experience when you were at it. I still have the list of reasons I thought systematic moderation was the way to go for me. Although I wasn't convinced I would lose weight, I did have a few reasons that had to do with being able to wear certain kinds of clothes, but those were way down the line. Mostly it was that I wanted to do something sustainable and reasonable that I could have some sense of peace with, that allowed for pleasure and whatever health conditions I wanted to deal with. I reminded myself that it was very unlikely I would do anything more radical no matter how little weight I lost and what were my options? Go back to eating S's indiscriminately? Go on a diet? Either one sounded even more painful than the irritation I would have to go through to re-establish the habits. It made the path clear, though not without its challenges. But through short and a few longer failures, I never thought I left No S.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:08 am

I like to make it into baby steps--don't think about some big new huge commitment if that sounds to scary. Maybe commit to just a month or even just a week. Can you follow No-S today? Start today. Then build on those habits little by little.

When you're back with No-S, then think--what is some small exercise thing I can do? 14 minutes is so doable. Or a short walk. Pick something you enjoy, and don't try to "work hard" at it--it's okay to start with just getting moving.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:12 am

All true.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)