Mini-Victories & Micro-Tweaks

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Izzy

Mini-Victories & Micro-Tweaks

Post by Izzy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:48 pm

Some thoughts on how I am approaching NO S recently that maybe someone will benefit from.

I am facing 3 extreme changes/stressors in my life right now, and am trying to stick with my modified NO S plan most days. It has been challenging. I have found changing my attitude to celebrating Mini-Victories is better than focusing on the failure of not being able to be 100% compliant 100% of the time. Sometimes my Mini-Victory is only one full day on plan, sometimes it is just making it to the next meal without a snack.

Meal timing has suddenly changed which is making me rethink how to continue to make this work with keeping the whole family in mind. My lunch is usually 1:30 or even 2 pm due to my work schedule, and as a family we used to eat at about 7ish, and is now 5:30 due to work/school schedule changes for them. So....I am not very hungry for supper with the new change, so have been having small portions of just the protein and veg when I eat with my family for supper, and saving "room" for a carb (granola bar, small bowl of oatmeal) for later at night. I guess this falls under virtual plating...

So instead of completely throwing in the towel as I've done before when stress and changes arise, I am finding that micro tweaks as needed may be the answer!
Izzy

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Sounds good to me! You are being level-headed and systematic about your tweaks and making the most of your successes. I think I read somewhere that four mini-meals can still be counted as N days if that fits your schedule better - as long as that evening eating doesn't become 'snacking' - only you know that. Keep going!
:D
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Izzy, if the mods are consistent and keep you moderate, that is right in line with No S. Also, it has ALWAYS been emphasized not to let failures become dramas. Successes SHOULD get more attention, even incremental ones. That is possibly the fifth but unwritten rule. (Resist WTH is the fourth.) But neither of those last two are canonical. :shock:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:26 pm

Thank you two for your input! Much appreciated!
Izzy

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:16 pm

oolala53 wrote:Also, it has ALWAYS been emphasized not to let failures become dramas. Successes SHOULD get more attention, even incremental ones.
I am going to remember this! I have a tendency to be way too hard on myself, especially where my weight and eating is concerned.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:27 pm

Bluebell, you are normal; it is almost the rule rather than the exception to do that. There is a subtle way in which a part of ourselves thinks it has done penance for the "sin" and can therefore do it again, because all we have to do is feel bad about it. It's a habit, too. Isn't it great that breaking that habit helps reinforce the new eating habit?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:31 pm

oolala53 wrote:Bluebell, you are normal; it is almost the rule rather than the exception to do that. There is a subtle way in which a part of ourselves thinks it has done penance for the "sin" and can therefore do it again, because all we have to do is feel bad about it. It's a habit, too. Isn't it great that breaking that habit helps reinforce the new eating habit?
I like the idea of being normal! I have spent a good number of years believing that I was somehow afflicted with a different mindset from most people, that I was abnormally wired to be obsessed with food and that I somehow lacked the strength needed to lose weight and keep it off. Its so interesting to read your thoughts about sin and penance, I never saw the connection before.
Wow NoS is truly a game changer. :D
(Apologies if I have derailed the thread and made it about me :oops:)

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Bluebell wrote:
oolala53 wrote:Bluebell, you are normal; it is almost the rule rather than the exception to do that. There is a subtle way in which a part of ourselves thinks it has done penance for the "sin" and can therefore do it again, because all we have to do is feel bad about it. It's a habit, too. Isn't it great that breaking that habit helps reinforce the new eating habit?
I like the idea of being normal! I have spent a good number of years believing that I was somehow afflicted with a different mindset from most people, that I was abnormally wired to be obsessed with food and that I somehow lacked the strength needed to lose weight and keep it off. Its so interesting to read your thoughts about sin and penance, I never saw the connection before.
Wow NoS is truly a game changer. :D
(Apologies if I have derailed the thread and made it about me :oops:)
I love this too!! Learning to not punish myself for oops has been one of the best things about No S. I like how Reinhard talks about when you punish yourself for food (he says it best):

I say it because when you punish yourself or try to make amends for having messed up, what you’re really doing, at a deep psychological level, is saying, “It’s all right to fail because I can make up for failure later.” You think you’re just paying off a debt, but you’re also, and more importantly, opening up a line of credit.

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Bluebell no apology needed! I am glad to see this inspired more conversation.
Izzy