Keeping score

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

pangelsue

Keeping score

Post by pangelsue » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:49 am

I had an idea about a week ago and a couple of people who read it in my daily check in said they liked it so I wanted to throw it out for any and all who might like to try it.
I have been keeping score of successes and failures like a baseball score. I am currently at 19 and 2. 19 successes and 2 failures. Whenever I had a failure and had to start over, I was so discouraged and felt like such a failure. I was back to feeling like I had blown my diet. I felt embarassed. Keeping score makes me feel like I am winning the game overall. Yesterday, I was walking aroung work with a dollar in my pocket and 3 times I went to the vending machine and didn't buy because I knew my score would be 18 and 3 if I did. It really helped. I now know I am a winner almost all of the time and I am not starting over, I am continuing on as best I can as an imperfect human being. I like it and it is working for me. Just a thought.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:23 pm

Hey Pangelsue!

I think that is a great idea and something I am totally going to give a try. I have the same problem of feeling like I've "blown my diet" when I screw up and have to start over.

Let's see how many successes I can get wrapped up compared to failures :D

Thanks for the idea!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:44 pm

Excellent!

Perfection?
Who needs it?

This is about honoring your efforts, even when they aren't perfect, and focusing, not, on the negative, but more on the positive!!!!

Great mental turnaround Sue!
We need to be our own best friends in this life :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:49 pm

Great idea Deb - think I will go along with this as well.

Kind regards Daisy

navin

Post by navin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:34 pm

Keeping track of your score like a baseball game is a neat idea.

Beat those Yankees! :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:25 pm

Hi Navin! ;)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:49 am

Great idea. Home page worthy, in fact. Just make sure you're batting way over .300 :-)

I need to get this habit calendar page up already... it could compute all kinds of stats for you. Dieting could be as fun as fantasy baseball.

Thanks for the great idea and keep us posted,

Reinhard

operababe

Post by operababe » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:23 am

Oh yes, I like this idea very much! Keeping score and reminding ourselves that we need to have a winning season.... yes, this is a simple but very motivating idea Pangelsue! Thank you! And Reinhard, I agree, it is very much home page worthy!
It's time to make it beautiful.

flsunshine

Post by flsunshine » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:23 pm

I just wanted to bring this thought/topic to the top again because it has been working so well for me:

-It's easy to keep in my head during the times I can't get to a computer.

-Each day and every choice I just think about which side of the score I want the day to end up.

-As long as my successes are outweighing my failures I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job and my motivation stays strong. I don't feel like I have to restart the whole process if I have one failure.

-My clothes are getting looser as the "winning score" goes up!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:39 am

I love this idea.

I have been meandering along my No S path but I keep stepping off to enjoy forbidden treasures.

But this sounds like a good motivation and more enduring than the 21 days.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

mondurvic

Keeping score

Post by mondurvic » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:30 am

Oh, I love this idea!

The first time I started NoS I made it through 20 days and blew it on the 21st. Somehow, I could never get started again after that.

I long to be back. Can one start on an a Sunday, or does that not really make SenSe?

Judy

Eatin' Free

Post by Eatin' Free » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:32 am

I jumped in on a Friday, and have been doing all right. Sometimes folks might need the energy that comes with the idea of starting fresh on Monday, but if you feel like starting on Sunday, why not? :) Like other things, it's probably most important to start when you feel ready, whatever the day is.

Good luck!