Maggie Mae's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:12 am

Thanks, Jen! I might try having berries like you suggested. It might help!
Had several things planned this week,so didn't even attempt to stay on track. Feel disgusted with myself. Had to drive two hours to work today, and definitely used it as an excuse to eat junk. McDonald's sausage biscuit for breakfast. Chips and a candy bar for lunch. A bowl of pinto beans and cornbread at my mom's for dinner( yay, fiber! Haha), and popcorn with butter while watching a movie this evening. I get pay back tomorrow though because I'm having a physical for my insurance, and I have to fast until the blood work is drawn. My husband scheduled my appointment for2:45pm!!!! I almost killed him! I can't eat until afterwards. Kinda looking forward to it after today. Detox from all the junk. Maybe I'll try to keep Friday green and get back on track next week.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Made it until3:30pm until eating. My cholesterol, blood pressure, and glucose were all perfect! Woot! My husband, who is thin and never gains an ounce, had high blood pressure, cholesterol, AND triglycerides. If you looked at us, you would guess that I'm the unhealthy one. Now I'm worried about him. His employer is going to pay for a health coach and he'll have to meet with her and track his food. I bough frozen blueberries today. Can't wait to try them. Will get back on plan tomorrow. Having an early Christmas with my parents Saturday. I can't wait! That will be incentive to not eat sweets tomorrow.

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:19 am

Yay, so glad your results came out fine! Sorry about your dh though (that would be a bummer to have to track food, but hopefully it helps his numbers get to a healthier range.)

I've not done frozen berries as a snack, but I sure do love my fruit/yogurt smoothie for breakfast every day. Yum!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:00 pm

Understand that food habits are usually driven by brain patterns that don't go down without a fight. They can even produce thoughts that perserve them. That is likely what considering calorie counting is right now: a diversionary tactic cooked up by the neural pattern that is likely to fail but keep the snacking/sweets habits in place. The pattern is neutral. It is not trying to sabotage you. It thinks it is protecting you. Your prefrontal cortex knows better. Let it assert itself until the new wiring gets stronger.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:48 pm

Thanks,Merry! I might use my blueberries to make a smoothie, too. That would be a way to get some yogurt into my diet as I'm not a big of the stuff. Thanks for the insight oolala. When I feel temptation, I'll remind myself that it's my brain trying to preserve those old habits. Today has been unusually easy. I think all the good advice I've been getting has finally helped me turn the corner. I have felt so much better today and more energy.I haven't had any fast food or sugary drinks, and I've had fruit with every meal. It's almost time to start dinner, so I'm pretty much in the clear. I'm making chili, so fiber, protein, and veggies will keep me full all evening. I can't twll you guys how much I appreciate you and your encouragement!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:22 pm

Happy S day! Haha. I always get out my real camera and set the timer and get a good picture of my family in front of my mom's Christmas tree. Today, I was looking at the pictures that are already on the camera card,and I found my " before picture" that I'm going to use when I finally get to do a success story on here! It was myself with my husband and son sitting on a rock at a park. Oh my goodness. It's hard to look at. Haha. But, a year from now it will be beside a new picture. One where I'm healthier and hopefully noticeably smaller. Until then, I'll keep it hidden. :lol:

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:56 pm

MaggieMae wrote:Happy S day! Haha. I always get out my real camera and set the timer and get a good picture of my family in front of my mom's Christmas tree. Today, I was looking at the pictures that are already on the camera card,and I found my " before picture" that I'm going to use when I finally get to do a success story on here! It was myself with my husband and son sitting on a rock at a park. Oh my goodness. It's hard to look at. Haha. But, a year from now it will be beside a new picture. One where I'm healthier and hopefully noticeably smaller. Until then, I'll keep it hidden. :lol:
Yeah! Hope you have a great pic a year from now.

I think my loss is only subtly noticeable in pics, but maybe in another year I'll try to do pics. It's hard as the mom to get before pics--usually I'm the one taking them, LOL!
Respect Moderation

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:10 am

Merry wrote:
I think my loss is only subtly noticeable in pics, but maybe in another year I'll try to do pics. It's hard as the mom to get before pics--usually I'm the one taking them, LOL!
Yes, I'm in very few pictures, too! Haha. I think that's why it was such a shock to see that picture of myself.
Had a great time today at my parents. Mom gave me my favorite candy- ghirardelli peppermint bark. I had two squares. I have an idea. I have a small storage box next to my bed. I got it for my birthday and never figured out what I wanted to keep in it. I think I'm going to use it as my s day box. Extra peppermint bark,or candies that people give me can be saved in there until an S day. I'm hoping that since they'll be out of sight, I'll forget about the goodies. If I find myself peeking in longingly, I'll find a better hiding place.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:48 pm

By my bed would likely end up in my bed... but i like the idea of a special storage box. Maybe up in a closet that takes getting up on a chair...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:31 pm

:lol:
I had to laugh, because I have put my Xmas chocolate and cookies on a high shelf in the kitchen cupboard, but every time I opened the cupboard, my eyes flicked up to that shelf!!!! Amazing! So, today, I've put a row of canned tomatoes all along the front of the shelf so that the Xmas stuff is hidden behind it. Now when I open the cupboard, all I see is canned tomatoes! :roll: I'm hoping that this will re-train my neural pathways (oolala53!) and they'll give up looking up there!
:lol:
Last edited by RAWCOOKIE on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:03 pm

Wansink is definitely in favor of keeping the foods we "should" eat in the easiest place to see them and the others- out of sight. He even thinks we should keep freggies on the shelves of the fridge and the dense stuff in the drawers.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:39 pm

I've been having my husband hide the mtn dew for years! If I can see it, I'll drink several cans a day. Last night, I put all the sodas in a bag so he could hide them until next Saturday. :lol:
I'm craving a mtn dew so bad today. The guy in front of me at the grocery store grabbed a bottle of mtn dew out of the cooler and sat it down on the conveyor belt. Thanks a lot! Haha. My resolve is different this time because of my husband's health scares. He is trying so hard to resist sweets and I want to be a support for him. I'm having dinner with my best friend this evening, so that gives me a delicious meal to look forward to.

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:19 am

Sounds like a good idea for the storage box! I keep my s-day treats in a file drawer at my desk, LOL! I don't think about it too much, and only notice if I open the drawer. Sometimes I forget it on S days, and then will notice a week or two later & wonder what's in there, LOL!
Respect Moderation

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:33 am

I forgot all about my chocolates in the box! Haven't had one since SAturday. Maybe I finally am getting it this time around. At dinner this evening, my friend and I ordered two appetizers ( half price happy hour!) and we just shared them. So, didn't really use a plate, just picked at nachos and soft pretzels. Made sure that I didn't let myself get stuffed. A major victory was that I didn't order their strawberry lemonade, which is sugary sweet but oh so good! I had a diet Coke just because I really needed some bubbles and caffeine. Definitely not as satisfying as the regular Coke, but it served it's purpose. I actually made yesterday (sunday) a green day so I could have an S day this Friday. My son doesn't have any appointments in the afternoon, so I thought I might take him to the Amish bakery and share a donut with him. We'll see how he's doing. If he's sleepy , I'll just take him home to nap and keep it a green day. On a side note, do any of you have any opinions on deodorant having a link to cancer? I've heard both sides, but a patient last week has me terrified of wearing it, but I don't feel "fresh". haha. I also have a coworker who never wore deodorant, and she is currently losing a battle to cancer, so who knows. I haven't been wearing it the past week, and I can't imagine being able to keep this up in the summer. If I walk the dog I get a little stinky. :oops:

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Getting close to time to make dinner, so looks like today is going to be a green day. It's been snowing all day. So beautiful but I've been trapped inside with a four year old who wouldn't nap and I'm getting a headache from lack of soda. Also got called to work tomorrow for another nurse who has pneumonia. So I had the headache of finding someone to drop my son off at preschool in the morning, which turned out that my husband is taking the day off because he has a ton of vacation days to use. Friday can't get here soon enough! Definitely making it an S day.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:35 pm

Getting close to time to make dinner, so looks like today is going to be a green day. It's been snowing all day. So beautiful but I've been trapped inside with a four year old who wouldn't nap and I'm getting a headache from lack of soda. Also got called to work tomorrow for another nurse who has pneumonia. So I had the headache of finding someone to drop my son off at preschool in the morning, which turned out that my husband is taking the day off because he has a ton of vacation days to use. Friday can't get here soon enough! Definitely making it an S day.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Today is red and I don't care. Haha. Went to bed with a headache and woke up with it. had to come to work on my day off, and a friend is having surgery today for breast cancer and I need to make food and get it to her when I get off work, looks like I'll barely get time to eat lunch. Sorry to vent. Life's not bad, just feeling overwhelmed. Had a mtn dew and a donut for breakfast. Breakfast of champions.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:21 pm

Hope today is better! Bad days are the worst!!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks, Jen! Some thoughts about yesterday.... Even though I really want and crave mtn dew, I still didn't have any desire to snack even though I got really hungry before lunch. Also, a coworker wanted to go to a new cupcake store and I didn't want one. We also went and got hot chocolate and I only drank about a fifth of a small because it was so rich. Very positive things!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Today was red. My coworker gave me my Christmas present which included two homemade buckeyes. I resisted until the drive home. Stuck in traffic with peanut butter and chocolate candy next to me was a dumb move.Haha. Oh well . no desire to say wth. I'll just eat dinner later and get back at it. Even though yesterday was a red day, I logged my calories and I was still under my daily allowance . I ate lunch out yesterday and didn't finish it. I brought the rest home and had it for dinner. Today, we ordered lunch,and I didn't finish it. Eating until I'm satisfied but not cleaning my plate . But you know restaurants always give too much food, so I probably shouldn't pat myself on the back for that. :D

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:29 am

Pat yourself of the back big time!! For me, No S is learning to fail small. It's having a big fail & learning from it. It's navigating what is worth failing for & what is not.

I manage a team & if they are stumbling the best thing I can do is build them back up. It's funny how our inner critics are so quick to tear us down. If I treated my team like I did myself they would be worthless &#128522;. They would think it was impossible to live up to those standards!! If you celebrate the victories (no matter how small) & learn from the mistakes (no matter how big), I guarantee next year at this time you will have made progress!!

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:16 am

Jen1974 wrote:No S is learning to fail small.
Yes! I totally agree!

MaggieMae, I totally think that having a small fail is a sign of victory & should be celebrated for not becoming a big fail. Good for you!
Respect Moderation

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks Jen and merry! You're so right,Jen about being so critical on ourselves. Last night I was thinking that i should probably just give up because I keep failing. I would never have that attitude with a friend or coworker! Just got out my box of Christmas sweaters that I've collected over the years. Some mediums, large, XL, and XXL in there. Haha. Like a time capsule of my expanding waistline. :lol:
Maybe next Christmas I can wear a few of the older ones.

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Just glancing over the past several posts, I can see you are growing! it's wonderful that you didn't let a little slip up (homemade candy in traffic hahaha...) snowball into a total derailment! congrats on that, and your attitude about food is dripping with triumph. Excellent!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:47 am

Thanks, aluminum! Sorry to report another red day. Stopped by my mom's and didn't realize she was baking all kinds of goodies. I could have saved them for tomorrow. I really don't know why I caved. Even when I have a red day, I am still eating less than when I'm not doing NO S. This time of year is so hard when it comes toresisting treats. Like Reinhard says in the book, just aim for maintenance during the holidays.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:04 am

Hi MaggieMae! Thanks for stopping by my thread.

I love what Jen said about small fails - I totally agree. To succeed at No-S you have to just keep on building the habit, regardless of what happened the day before. Good reminder for me, as I've been stumbling the past three days.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:37 pm

Last Sunday I made it an N day and I'm doing that again this week. We rarely have anything special going on on Sundays. I'm making Wednesday an S day. I always over do it on Saturdays so being green on Sunday is actually very welcome! My mom came over last night and brought a goodie bag of fudge,no bake cookies, pretzels with rolosmelted on them, and banana pudding. Wow! I had to take tums last night and I don't remember the last time thst happened.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:32 pm

Even though I had too many red days in December, I still managed to lose 2 pounds through the the holidays. My starting weight for my year of NO S is 197.4. I also just had five green days in a row! I don't remember the last time that happened.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:49 pm

Sounds like you're doing great, Maggie! Good for you at the year end weight loss.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:45 pm

:D
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

threewhales

Post by threewhales » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Following you through 2017!
Cynthia aka threewhales
Vanilla No S ReStart 12/26/16

Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler.
~Albert Einstein

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks everyone! Today is going fairly easy. It was 46 degrees, which is nice this time of year. Took my son to the playground and ran up and Down stairs playing with him. My crock pot dinner got done way too fast, so I had it for a late lunch. I have my first knitting class this evening, so I'll have a small meal when I get home.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:36 am

Well, this is day four of green this week. Had a catered lunch and they brought in big,soft cookies from a bakery and.....I wasn't even tempted. It's not a matter of using will power, I just honestly didn't want one. It snowed and my commute which is typically40 minutes took about2 hours. The stress made me feel that urgent to come home and graze or bake something sweet and comforting, but I'm sitting here drinking a cup of hot chocolate instead to help resist. I feel more confident today. Even though I'm the same size, I feel more in control. Feels good. I've got a bunch of sweets and goodies in my NO S goodie box that I can't wait to break into. :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:49 am

I bet you CAN wait to break into them...

Glad you found a way to interrupt the stimulus-response circuit! Remember such successes and the good feeling that followed as often as possible. It lets your brain know what you want!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Woke up this morning very nauseated. Just took alka seltzer. Yuck. My son doesn't understand why mommy is not playing with the usual energy. I try not to weigh often, but since this is two weeks of green,I thought I would get on the scales. I've gained5 pounds. Don't think I've eaten that much to warrant a five pound gain in the past week. This may be tmi,but I've had pms for a week now so that's probably the culprit. I'm on medicine for hormonal acne and the side effects include spotting between and frequent periods. Well,I tried to half my dose for a week and acne came back with a vengeance. So I went back up to regular dose. Now, I haven't had a period and my breasts are so tender I can't stand to take my bra off. I feel crazy dealing with all this just over acne, but I would have three or four of those huge painful cysts at all times without it. And usually have at least two between my eyes. I don't want to go back to that.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:30 pm

You don't sound too discouraged by the scale, which is good. You have no idea how much your weight may have been fluctuating. Sounds like your med situation could be affecting things; it's a trade off. I think I'd make that trade, too.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Lizzy6

Post by Lizzy6 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:48 pm

MaggieMae, thanks for dropping by my journal.

I am sorry to hear about the acne/medication issue. Maybe they have an alternative medicine that won't mess with your cycles too much?

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:10 am

Thanks, Lizzy! This medicine was literally a miracle cure for my acne. I was so self conscience before and now people compliment my skin all the time. I never thought I'd be into vanity, but I don't want to go back to the way it was. I have two jobs,one is in dermatology. You can imagine how embarrassing it was to go to that job with horrible acne! Today was an S day and I barely got to eat anything due to this stomach thing I've got going on. I'm starting to wonder if it's stress. I have to go see a home infusion patient next weekend and I'm anxious about it. He's in his 80's and I'll have to start an IV (usually difficult in the elderly) and there's several other issues at play in this situation. I'll spare you the details. Anyway, it's been years since anxiety has made me physically I'll like this. Who knows. According to web MD I only have a few days to live. :wink: :lol: Monday I go see my neurologist for a follow up on my new MS med. I'm a hot mess. I used to be graceful and feminine and now I feel like an old frumpy mess who's sick all the time. Thank goodness I have a wonderful husband who is in it through sickness and in health.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:12 am

So glad the medicine is helping with the acne--sounds painful. Hopefully the side effects (if it's affecting weight) will level off.
Respect Moderation

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:18 am

I'm sorry to hear you're having to go through all this. It must be really hard to find an equilibrium with those meds. I hope you do!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks, Merry and Amy! I hate to complain. I'm very blessed. There was a time with my MS that I didn't think I would ever walk unassisted again, so I really am doing quite well.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Last night I had already posted a green day on the January challenge thread , but then I had to change it to red. :evil:
My son napped late and so we were awake later than usual. I let myself get too hungry and gave in and made a sandwich. I had three squares of peppermint bark leftoverfrom Christmas so I had those. Could've been worse. AND.... I received that peppermint bark in mid December, so it lasted almost a month which is a miracle in itself. :D
I ate too much at lunch. I have this new recipe cooking in the crock pot that looks delicious and it's going to be a while before I'm hungry again. I ate more than my belly needed. What a horrible feeling.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Yeah, the plate is the upper limit, not the requirement. Being too full and too empty will happen. As time goes on, you'll manage either within the structure.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:46 pm

Might have a green Sunday tomorrow. Just feeling like I've had too much the last few days. Been eating too much junk like fast food. My work schedule is completely messed up this weekend so I've been eating out a lot. The last few times I've bought fresh fruit,it hasn't been good at.all. I haven't been cooking as much so not as much veggies. I think my body is saying please give us some fresh fruit and vegetables!!!!. Next time I get a chance to go to the store I'll see if anything looks good.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:08 am

I had a red week. Thursday was my birthday, so that was planned to be yellow. The other days, I just would do something little and stupid. I had something stressful going on, but that's been resolved. Hoping to have a green week!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:29 am

Marked today red. Had a knitting class and was gone between5-9:00. Had some chips before class to hold me over. Starting to feel frustrated. Didn't even make it a full month before feeling discouraged. It feels impossible to go without snacks most days of the week. Sometimes due to hunger, other times due to stress. Maybe I should just accept that this is the way my body looks. My weight isn't affecting my health.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:18 pm

No S is about building habits (: Building, not starting off perfect at them!! Keep trying. It get easier!! Some days having a small fail is in reality a victory. Learning how to fail small on days that aren't normal is a pretty awesome habit too!!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks, Jen! Not sure why this simple program is so hard for me.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:29 am

Jen1974 wrote:No S is about building habits (: Building, not starting off perfect at them!! Keep trying. It get easier!! Some days having a small fail is in reality a victory. Learning how to fail small on days that aren't normal is a pretty awesome habit too!!
Yes!

Hang in there, Maggie! You are off to a good start. Don't sweat imperfections--just keep getting back up.
Respect Moderation

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:46 pm

I posted this on the January challenge. Wanted to put it here,too . I hope I do better in February! I've had more red than green in January..
Jan30: I just don't give a rip about anything lately! Tried to get back on track today and discovered we had a few slices of lemon meringue pie left. We're going out of town next week for a few days. Hopefully I'll relieve some stress and regroup. Although, I probably won't be able to de_ stress because our son will be with us. I feel guilty saying that ,but he is having some bad days lately. He can't help it( autism) but that doesn't make it any easier.
On a positive note, due to my husband's recent diagnosis of high blood pressure and cholesterol AND my mom has started a low salt diet, I've been putting more effort into cooking. I've been making meals from scratch and lots of vegetables. This is so much better than the quick meals and junk I've been eating. I think I was letting myself eat fast food and stuff because I was only having three meals a day.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:51 am

I hope Feb. goes better for you, Maggie! Sorry to hear about your husband's dx, but love the emphasis on healthier eating.

Autism is tough to deal with. Hang in there.
Respect Moderation

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:52 am

Thank you, Merry!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:55 pm

Hope you're still having some satisfaction in cooking. Everyone will benefit!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:59 pm

I have been making and trying new recipes! I love it. Wish I had more time for it. The planning is the hardest part for me. Going to try to make it green at least four days this week. I've been giving in too easily lately. I am having dental work tomorrow for a few hourss so lunch will either be a protein smoothie or latte. Had an emotional day. It seems like I only post when I've had a bad day! I'm really not a Debbie downer! Haha. My son won't stay in Sunday school class by himself so my husband usually goes in with him. My husband had to work today so I went. My son's improved so much lately with tolerating social situations and being in school. I didn't expect to see how different he is from his peers. He doesn't jump in and participate with activities or games and if he does decide to speak with a child, he doesn't know what to say so he'll say something he heard from a book or a tv show that doesn't make sense to the conversation. And sometimes he just repeats the other kids. My heart was saddened. There's that fear of him being picked on or isolated. Plus,my parents aren't speaking. They have the worst relationship ever and that saddens me. Apparently my dad is mad that my mom hasn't been cooking dinner much lately( she has fibromyalgia) and he made a comment that she doesn't feel like cooking but she can run around with my son, and he he told her his diapers stink up the trash can. Who the @!@#% says that about their grandchild?!?!? I can't wait to stick him in a nursing home some day. He's going to die a lonely man because he's never cared about anyone but himself. But, eating isn't going to charge any of this.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Regarding dieting for health reasons: IMHO, people trying to diet just to lose weight by following the diet of someone motivated by a real health problem is one of the reasons for big failure rates. The person with a health problem has a lot more at stake, so compliance will likely be better, and there is a lot more reason to be stricter from the beginning. And it's not just about calories, so I think there's less of seeing what a person can "get away with." If I'm going for a longer overnight fast, it messes with the process if I nibble anything in the morning, but if I were just going for intake, I could spread the food out. But I find out I don't need to nibble in the morning, and I'm fine.

Hope you've found your answer, though I don't think there's a lot of data on MS and different IF protocols. I'd try Google Scholar.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:30 am

Wow, so it's been almost a year since I've posted!? Trying to get back on habit and thought I'd start checking in. Just read over my thread. It was painful reliving some of the things I wrote about. Since my last post, my parents separated, my mom nearly had a breakdown and said she didn't want to watch my son anymore, I quit my dermatology job because of that,and NO S got put to the side. My parents have since reconciled , I work around my husbands schedule so we don't need child care. My son is kindergarten bound class four days a week and doing great! He's in " regular" school but has an autism aid in the class just in case he needs help.
When I wrote my first check in post I weighed192 and now I'm210. Ugh. I'm so uncomfortable. My size18's and snug and I hate feeling stuffed and out of control with food. So... Now that I'm all caught up and life seems steady, I'm wanting to get back to being serious about NO S. Did good today. Think I'll start officially tracking my days next week. As always,soda is still my addiction. I recently went 13 days without it so I'm drinking less than I used to. Looking forward to reading up on how everyone is doing. You all keep me motivated.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 pm

So, my S days will be SAturday and Tuesday for now. Sundays have usually been green for me and I travel alot on tuesdays for work so eating is more difficult to plan out. Today was GREEN !!!!
My goal for the rest of the month is to get back to tracking consistently.
I did great Friday and today by telling myself I am fasting between meals. I had been doing 15-17 hour fasts at night for the last 6 weeks so now just focusing on fasting between meals should be easy. And it felt sooo good to let my body rest so I could be hungry at meal time. Oh, NOS, why do I keep cheating on you? And yet there you are, always waiting on me to return. Haha.

jenji

Post by jenji » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Welcome back!
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Thank you! It's good to be back! Today was green! Tomorrow is my S day. Can't wait.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi and welcome back from a relative newbie! Enjoy your S day.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Thanks, Octavia! Today was an S day for me. Now I only have to get through three n days until Saturday!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:16 pm

You know you've been around a long time when it feels like just yesterday that you responded to a post. I also can't believe it's been a year! Sorry for how rough it's been. I'm glad things sound like they're evening out for you, so you can get some traction.

Just two short fasts and one long one-most of that one sleeping-five days a week! You can do it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Thank you oolala for stopping by! I always appreciate your wisdom and encouragement.
Today was as green day. Started off really bad due to my son having a rough morning and I told myself that I could either fall back into old habits or I could stick to my three meals and have a green day. I can't believe I did it! Eventually, when I'm more grounded in the habit, I hope to stop drinking so much between meals . I use coffee, milk, coke zero etc to help pass on snacks. I'll get there.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:41 pm

The tactic of seeing that I could do what I've always done and take the consequences or choose differently this time was pivotal for me, and sometimes still is. thumbs up
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:11 pm

Green! Yeah! Haha
Weighed myself this morning and was up from 208 to 211. Normally this would've caused a tailspin and a day of emotional eating. You know how it goes.... why bother?! I have been doing good and gained anyway. Well, something must be clicking this time. I'm bracing myself for when I do have a red day. It's inevitable. Hoping to mark it and move on and not jump ship.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:12 am

If our efforts depend on the scale, it's very easy to get derailed, unless we can be a kind of robot about it. I've read of these people. They tend to be very science-oriented people, interested in weight loss but magically not attached to a fat or thin identity. I just reminded myself about one of them. He said that being hungry isn't that hard. He values the external more than the internal (oh, yeah, that's average) and since his hunger has very little effect on the external world, it's better to ignore it and take actions that do affect the outer world positively. That actually makes sense, but it's not how most of us are wired. (He also didn't give any credence to the body's ability to adjust HOW it uses calories in response to reducing food. We can control what we take in but NOT how our bodies use the calories. It's pretty much in charge there.

Just keep going! I have faith that the fine tunings on what you can control will emerge over time.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 am

Green! Looking forward to an S day tomorrow. Very tired tonight and really had to white knuckle it but it's almost bedtime.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 pm

Had a very tame S day. I learned from my s day on Tuesday that overeating just because I can is not fun. Leaves me feeling stuffed and bloated.
I have been battling a mid life crisis the past month. Probably a combination of seasonal affective disorder and this unending winter weather mixed in too. I'm41 and just stuck in the working mom rut. No time for myself and blah blah blah. Had a long chat with a dear friend yesterday. It helped to hear that other mom's with small children feel the same things at times. I miss having co-workers. I never thought I'd say that! My mom had a breakdown in the spring and I had to quit my job and just do home nursing so I could have a flexible schedule so she wouldn't have to watch my son so much. Anyway, now I drive a lot and love what I do but I so miss my daily chats at work. I worked with a doctor and nurse who both had small children so we related to each other. Now I have no one. Oh poor me! Haha. My weight has started making me uncomfortable....uncomfortable to paint my own toenails and my pants are tight, etc. So even though I'm not trying to lose weight to be a swimsuit model, it would be soooo wonderful just to get my clothes fitting better.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Congrats on your tame day! If I may, I humbly suggest that you actually write a list of some of the things you'd like to be avoid and some of the things you'd like to able to do with comfort or vitality. I read my list every day for the first three months of No S. It is the FIRST step Judith Beck recommends in her "program." She adds some strategy every day for six weeks and also provides a growing list of the behaviors, including thinking behaviors, (not all of them are everyday strategies) to check off every day; reading that list of reasons is high up there. The checklist was way too involved for me, but I read that list of reasons every day for months and periodically for years. IF I had kept a Habitcal on it, it would have been green green green even if not all my N days were! It was something recommended over the decades, something I never did before, and yet it proved pivotal. Different ones popped up at my moments of urge to deviate from Vanilla in a way that never had in previous attempts. Before, when I'd get an urge, I'd mostly feel torn and resentful. Keeping those reasons in mind really defused the resentment a lot of the time. I realized I would get something I really valued in exchange for the discomfort of waiting for that next meal. I still have the list on my desktop and on an index card! A fair number of them have happened, and it's gratifying to sometime look at it and be reminded.

Just from reading your paragraph, I see some great ones.

Don't want to feel stuffed and bloated.
Feel more comfortable after eating.
Paint my toes easily.
Feel my pants looser.

Regarding raising children, which I never did, it sure seems to me that it's much more typical for parents to have the thoughts you're talking about than not! I hear colleagues talk of it often. Without devaluing their understandable discomforts, it strikes me as another place it's easy to lose track of the benefits people get for giving up some of their comfort, i. e. other ways to spend their time and energy. Unfortunately for parents, sometimes the things they thought were going to be so wonderful happen way less on a daily basis than the costs! But it's not like a job they can quit and find a better one :shock: I can imagine it's hard to keep in mind the meaningfulness of providing the context to foster the growth of another human being. I think it's part of what makes us human, rather than just following an instinct to procreate. But it's also one that parents can worry they're not doing right, so it adds to the difficulty.

But I hope there is a way you can share thoughts with other mothers more often, including the good stuff. I don't know what could take the place of the work chats (I imagine there was some satisfying personal sharing, of knowing and being known at least a bit that's gratifying.) I remember reading how the whole idea that so many people were going to be able to work from home was going to completely change the workplace, but it turned out most people want at least some group to interact with relatively often, even if it can also be people at work who drive them nuts!

In any case, enjoy a comfortable, meaningful :wink: S day.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:27 pm

I like the idea of this Beck-inspired list of motivations. I always think I can remember my reasons for abstaining from unhealthy junk, but no! As it turns out, I can rarely remember any useful guidelines for anything...it’s as if they live in a different room in my brain.

MaggieMae, it must be so hard to lose those relationships with colleagues. Im not surprised you miss them. When my DD was little and I was stuck at home, I really missed those casual, non-profound adult interactions. I was way more negative and whining than you...still am, and she’s 15! I wasn’t very good at interacting with other mums - I found it too frustrating that half way through a conversation they would rush off to attend their child (which is fair enough), but then not bother to come back to the adult conversation, even if something interesting or important was being discussed. I also felt stressed about others watching me deal with the baby (she demanded constant interaction, and it was so hard to interact with others at the same time!) and it was all just a great big effort. So I spent a lot of time alone with the tot. We watched piles of TV together. But the time passed, and it seems that my failure to integrate made no difference at all. I always preferred the compàny of my colleagues. Anyway, I know some of this isn’t directly related to what you’ve been dealing with, but I just wanted to affirm that it’s not a bed of roses, and you are doing amazingly well imho! Actually, I just wanted to whine and share my bad memories ... :lol:

Maybe you should treat yourself to some new nail varnish for that pedicure - have you checked out the Color Club Halo Hues?

:D They are divine, and definitely motivational!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 am

Green day! Oolala and Octavia... you two have no idea what your words mean to me tonight. I so appreciate you both taking time to offer encouragement. I will definitely make a list of things I want to achieve to keep me motivated. I'll put it on here. I'll put some thought into it. ( picturing Winnie the pooh....think, think,think!)
I'll look into the nail colors! I love buying nail polish and haven't bought any new colors in a long time.

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:22 am

Hi MaggieMae,

Just thought I'd stop by and say hi. Congrats on the tame S day..feels much better doesn't it. I like the Beck suggestion of writing our reasons for sticking to our goals down..it's so easy to forget in that moment..having a little card to whip out at the time might just be a real help.

All the best with everything.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 pm

And read the list over and over once you make it! It's a way to counterbalance all the food cues inside and out that can be stimulated ad infinitum, or so it seems. I'm doing a little spring eating thing just for a few days and it's so interesting how fast the body tried to tell me on day one that this was a stupid idea. It's not for weight loss or even something that I can personally measure, as it has to do with body chemicals that are purported to change, but I just think, well, I won't get those changes if I don't follow instructions, and I want to think I'm doing what I can for those changes. The urges that can happen between meals can be handled the same way: "I just have to make it to my next [delicious] meal." After the meal, it's often, "See? I'm not starving. I get to eat and I feel content!"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:20 pm

..Yesterday was my S Day Because I had an event yesterday evening and I did not want to have it back to back With an S day today. But none of that matters because today is red anyway. I am marking it and moving on. I think it was just out of rebellion. I was in control and I had control over whether or not I went through the drive-thru and got a milkshake or not. And I made the wrong choice. And now I feel full and I'm dreading cooking dinner because who wants to cook dinner when you're already full. So something else to definitely remember For reasons to stay green. It is not fun To Be full At Mealtime and not want dinner. I want to look forward to my meals. I want to cook food and look forward to eating it. And oh la la I am still thinking of all the things I want to put on my list and I will type it up here when I'm done! Hi, Cedar! Thanks for stopping by!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Green day! It was a challenge. I have such a desire to eat constantly. Sometimes I feel like a shark who has just smelled fresh blood...like I want to eat everything in sight. It's not hunger. It's just this very strong urge. Very hard to ignore. Oh I'm hoping that this feeling goes away eventually.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:38 pm

That urge is the "seductive"one, the one similar to but not as intense as, the brain stimulation by drugs. It is meant to be annoying! It wants you to go get those calories! But it has nothing to do with needed sustenance, unlike true hunger. (Even that doesn't always mean we MUST have food right then.) Just do your best, but also know that if a person keeps giving in, it will stay very much alive, meaning if she wants to have a chance to conquer it, she will likely have to be uncomfortable at times. Only you can say if it's worth it to hold out as often as you need to. But I think you'll be glad if you do.

I have to confess I feel it sometimes even now. I think it has more to do with other areas of my life. But my alternative to just tolerating it is likely going back to how I used to eat. Shudder. I'll do a lot to avoid that. I think I've found that a bit more fat at the previous meal helps. But a lot of things can affect it, so it's hard to isolate them and completely avoid them. I'll get the feeling and look back at a meal and think, "Oh, I bet it's because of X." Yet, another time I have X with no problem.

No one can predict what it will be like for you. I'm wary of people making promises because I've been disappointed so many times by claims that something would be easy or effective when it wasn't for me. How many times has a diet guru promised that I won't be hungry if I eat this or that or this often, or that I won't feel deprived because of Y and Z? THEY CAN'T PREDICT WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCE WILL BE!

Well, after all that, I suspect that the urges will get much weaker, so don't despair!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:18 am

I subscribe to your words, Oolala; the impulses sometimes come with force for situations or triggers that on another occasion would have awakened nothing in me ..

Yesterday we were talking with some friends about eating disorders, and we came to the conclusion that once installed, they stay with you forever and it is very difficult to heal. I thought inside. "Yes, I will always have these impulses, and I will always be a compulsive eater, that's why I have to continue with No S, it's what finally gave me peace with the food, and what is making me not binge." The habit is very powerful, and even in my bad days, I stick to the plan and I do it even by inertia. I also stop to think many times about the alternative and it scares me deeply. No diet or food plan other than this will give me this peace and the impulses will soothe me. Now I find myself sometimes wanting to binge and simply, I let it feel inside me and I do not. This is very valuable to me.

Go ahead, MaggieMae, it will be easier every time :wink:

jenji

Post by jenji » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:59 pm

MaggieMae wrote:Green day! It was a challenge. I have such a desire to eat constantly. Sometimes I feel like a shark who has just smelled fresh blood...like I want to eat everything in sight. It's not hunger. It's just this very strong urge. Very hard to ignore. Oh I'm hoping that this feeling goes away eventually.
One thing I try to do when I have these impulses is to just observe the feelings without judgement. I try to stay curious and patient with myself. If I jump to judgement or even to "solutions", I don't learn anything. I just try to sit with the feeling and see if it gives me any clues about what is going on. Sometimes changing something small in future (about my routines) can help...
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Just being able to let the feeling be there without acting on it is a kind of healing, I think. A member of another forum said, "It's okay to crave, but not to cave." (Cave here means "give in.") She said when she stopped dreading the craving feelings, they got weaker. But even when they were strong, she just held out because she concluded that they didn't signal any real need for food.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:03 am

Red day. Schedule was completely off with some surprises thrown in. Still no excuse. Thanks for the input oolala, jenji and Dalia! I will keep those things in mind and think about them when those feelings hit. it sounds like you three have conquered these feelings with NO S? Still have that desire to eat but have found ways to not give in? This gives me hope.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:26 am

Just plain not being willing to be led around by the proverbial nose by my eating desires is one of the ways I have found not to give in. If I give in, I'll be back at its beck and call. That's the motivation, and sometimes I remember that consciously. The other strategy is just garden variety delay: keep telling myself I will get to eat later. Then I give a lot of attention to how good it feels to still eat slowly and not wolf the food when the time comes, even though I may feel like doing that. I believe that it's an old, old human instinct forged when food was scarce. We're not in danger of starving! It's just "mistaken identity." That doesn't make it go away, but a little easier to take.

Sometimes I even promise myself huge portions of something at the next meal, but when all the food is on the plate, I end up having the amount I normally do. I was very hungry for dinner today, but ended up eating on purpose about 75% of what I might have (for "spring recycling"). Yet, I feel very full.

Do what you can to make your meals pleasurable (without depending on it every time), and hang on! Remember the pleasure from before and look forward to it, but try to do it without too much longing or resentment that you have to wait. If possible. But if not, try to divert divert divert!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:07 am

Yes, MaggieMae, I have reached that state thanks to No S. I never would have believed it possible, I thought that No S was only about weight loss, but it is much much more. It is a method capable of curing the disorder by binge (and I can say without a doubt) and that is something very big, few methods get it.

To give you another example, today I weigh 500 grs. more than in my last weigh, and I'm not even angry or disappointed. I am looking at my weight together during the month and it has gone down. It is a small loss, with another diet would be unacceptable and would fill me with frustration, but with No S no, because this way of eating compensates me so much and the calm it gives me, that I do not want to leave it, then, I accept any variation in weight , and if my tendency is down, I am already happy with that.

I think Oolala said that this had to do with the effort-reward. That is, if I put in a lot of effort (restrictive diet) I want and deserve a great result, and this comes from how badly we had it through a type of diet like that. With No S this does not happen, one feels so good about the food, that if the result is negative it does not matter that much :)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Good advice oolala! I just need to want it badly eniugh to put off the urge until mealtime. Thanks for sharing, Dalia! That's an amazing testimonial! I will keep working on putting off the reward until it's proper time.
Yesterday( Friday) was a red day. I'm noticing the trend of when I cave in the afternoon.... When I'm with my son for long periods( all day yesterday) I snack because he takes all my attention and I'm just plain bored. Sitting and playing cars for hours on end make my brain feel like it's melting. Eating is something I can do while sitting there and it's pleasurable. Maybe someday winter will end and we can get outside to play.
I'm considering adding a mod of fruit in the afternoon for such occasions. At least for now.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:23 am

I gently suggest instead of eating, have a beverage of some kind, maybe that feels a little civilized or fun. I don't like tea much but there is a raspberry herbal tea that I have sometimes. Decaf feels civilized to me; I feel French when I have it, sitting and drinking it without looking at the computer or something. Sometimes I add cocoa powder. Might you imagine being a French mother taking a little break while her child plays?

If you actually feel hungry, some people use milk, dairy or nut.

I have known of people who felt strong hunger in the afternoons who successfully used a fruit or vegetable snack at first and then eased themselves into letting it go.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Been M.I.A. on here. My son has been very sick. Pneumonia, flu,ear infections. I haven't been tracking per se but have cut sugar almost out entirely. Even on weekends. Once I did that, I noticed my appetite has kind of regulated itself. I've had the flu this week so not eating much anyway. I have lost my sense of taste and smell....so weird! I am seeing what it feels like to eat because I'm hungry and no other reason. I forced myself to eat today so I could take some medicine that has to be taken with food. Hope you are all doing well! Flu B is out there so don't let your guard down! Sanitize, sanitize, SANITIZE! LOL.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Hi Maggie, just to say, I hope you all get well soon.

I liked your description of the brain ‘melting’ with boredom when playing cars. I never found a way of describing how I used to feel when forced to do role playing for hours with my DD....your phrase sums it up brilliantly. It was agony! (And I was quite good at being wicked stepmothers or fairy queens etc., I could do all the voices and everything!) I used to feel guilty and yes, I ate loads of compensatory food!

Wishing you a swift recovery from this awful flu bug.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:24 am

Get well soon wishes for both of you!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon May 28, 2018 9:09 am

Thank you, Octavia and oolala! We've had good health during the month of May. End of school business is done and even went on a family vacation for a week.
I have not been tracking or really even whole heartedly trying to stick to NOS lately. BUT, I've been making slow changes. I've gotten very good at not snacking after dinner. I've been doing good at not drinking soda, which if you dont' know is my BIGGEST habit. It's still hard. I feel ridiculous being a 41 year old mom and professional who is addicted to mtn dew and coke. BUT, I've been drinking seltzer water with a little lime (like la croix kind of drinks) and that ishelping alot. I think I might get back to tracking today and see how it goes.
Now, this next section might be uncomfortable for any men who might be on this board. Just a warning. Haha.
I have not had a menstrual cycle in over a month. I'm usually right on time and tend to have them early, sometimes resulting in two a month. Lucky me, right? haha. So, I was in panic mode the other day..... pregnant .....or.....gulp.....starting menopause? Negative pregnancy test. Thank you, Jesus! Lol. But then the reality set in......peri menopause. Me?! My mom was only a year older than me when it happened to her so I should probably accept the reality.
Also, I have found a major motivator for wanting to stick to NO S and lose weight , other than for appearances. Although , seeing a few full body pictures of myself from our recent vacation should be motivation enough. YIkes! Anyway, I developed a condition within the last year or two called hydradenitis. It's like large boils/cysts on the bikini line/upper inner thighs. My dermatologist said one of the causes is if someone gains a lot of weight really quickly. Well, I certainly fit that bill. They're painful and it hurts to walk because they rub on the pants or just legs rubbing together when I walk. I am constantly taping them down to help my pants not rub them so much. THe scars are horrible, though that's not really a concern. My career as a bikini model will just have to wait. haha. If I can lose some this extra fat off my legs, this problem will likely resolve on its own.
If I'm tempted to go off plan, I need to remind myself that these painful bumps are only going to get worse and is it worth it to eat that piece of (fill in the blank).
I've also been working on identifying whenI'm truly hungry and when I'm just 'wanting to eat'. It doesn't make it easier to say no, but at least I'm becoming aware. When I first joined this board a few years ago, I never dreamed how hard it would be for me to just stick to it. I didn't realize how many hang ups and issues I had with food. Becoming aware is part of the journey, though. Maybe I'll get it right eventually.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:07 pm

MaggieMae - Check your PMs. And welcome back! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Wow, has is it really been almost four months since I posted here?! Well, I'm still struggling with emotional eating. My son has completed four weeks of kindergarten and it has been a struggle. He's so brave and works so hard but having autism and trying to adjust has been hard. When my baby is in crisis, I'm a mama bear in attack mode. Haha. Hoping things settle down soon. Regretting not homeschooling. Definitely going to go that route after kindergarten. They say homeschooling keeps kids from socializing but school has caused us to stop soccer and gymnastics....places he actually wanted to be and socialize. Oh well. Live and learn.
I've got not eating after dinner down pat. I can usually pass on desserts but the past week has had too many temptations.
I need to start tracking on here again to be accountable. It just slips my mind. Need to get back in the habit. At least I do feel physically ill latley when I overeat, especially fast food. That's incentive to resist.
I love everything about no s. I just keep eating out of boredom, tiredness, frustration, et cetera. Just finished re-reading the book. It's so brilliant. No one can do this for me.
Starting weight: 215ish. Can't remember the ounces. Going to try to weigh once a month. The scale always makes me sad and I end up giving up. Going to focus on habit. Here we go again...........

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:27 pm

Woot—you got this!

It always makes me laugh when people try to say home schoolers are going to lack social skills. Some of the most socially well adjusted kids I know have been homeschooled. I hope things get easier but yeah there’s always next year.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:02 pm

.Thanks for the encouragement! For both the no s habits and also for the homeschooling. So many people look at you like you have five heads When you mention homeschooling. Everyone involved with my son At the Autism Center and for his IEP in the school system. They all have their opinions and none of them are positive.

Because of my schedule, my S days will be Fridays and Saturdays. Yesterday was a Green Day! I'm embarrassed to admit this but I was actually in a bad mood towards the end of dinner because I knew that I wouldn't be able to have anything sweet. Isn't that sad? Today I worked out of town andn normally I would have made it an s day because of all the traveling but so far I've done really good. I actually had to make a pit stop to use the bathroom and instead of buying a candy bar and a soda I got one of those little bottles of single serving milk. I was afraid I would be tempted to get chocolate milk because plain milk freaks me out a little bit but fortunately they were all sold out of chocolate milk. Talk about divine intervention! :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Might we get an update? :)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Re: Maggie Mae's daily check in

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Wow, has it been a year since I last posted?? Time goes so fast! I have been trying to take a break from dieting this year. My weight fluctuates from 209-214, so not really a lot of weight gain, which is good. Here and there I have dabbled in the usual culprits....keto, calorie couting, even no s, but usually just for a few days. I was hoping to break the diet mentality. BUT, alas, it is my addiction. I'm back watching all those weight loss shows on youtube and reading about all these diets. Apparently, I can't just observe and be entertained. I always feel the urge to try it...just one more time. Maybe this will be the time I go Keto for life, right??

A note on my personal life: one of my last posts from 2018 mentioned how my son (with autism) was not doing so well in kindergarten. It was a nightmare. We fisnished the year, but he developed "ticks" and panic attacks, was having psychogenic fevers (yes, stress about school was giving him actual fevers) and his OCD went through the roof. Honestly, dealing with all of that, put dieting on the back burner for a long time. When school ended, he became a different child. Happy, no panic attacks, when he feels a meltdown coming on he is able to tell me what he needs to calm down (usually being rocked in a rocking chair), even if he can't describe why he's upset. He even started potty training a little. Progress at last! We have been homeschooling for 14 weeks now, and it is the best decision I've ever made. My son has play dates with friends, participates in homeschool PE class and is rehearsing to be in a Christmas musical. Doubtful he will actually go on the stage for the real thing, but he is tolerating the noise of rehearsal, so I'll take it. Because of home school, I am not working very much. I do home infusions ( have for 3 years now) and have my 4 regular patients and help cover for other nurses when they are unavailable. So, being home during the day makes it easy to snack and eat out of boredom. My life overall is just so much better. We can do so much more now that my son's anxiety is under control. He "graduated" from ABA therapy at the autism center and has just started meeting with a counselor every other week. He is doing so great, he no longer has an aide. The counseling is just to help him continue working on naming his emotion and how to deal with anxiety. Heck, maybe I'll learn some tips from him! Life is good. I have had multiple sclerosis for ten years, and under really good control. I can still do most things I want to do. Can't complain!

So, after a long break, I have been back on Facebook lately. I saw some posts to the No S diet group. It got me thinking, I am in a good place, and have been feeling out of control with all the snacking. With the holidays coming up, why not get back in the game? So, I think I will try to start tracking tomorrow using my bathroom calendar and green and red markers ( I'm SOOO high tech, y'all!). I've missed this board. I've popped on here and there to read new posts and check up on you guys. Looking forward to getting sane again and the support that comes from this lovely group of people. Looks likes I started on here November 1, 2015. Four years! Four years, I've been hopping back and fourth. Like many others have lamented.....why didn't I just stick to No S the last 4 years???

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi Maggie! Your story is really awesome - so so glad for you to be making progress with your son. Homeschooling can be such a blessing for kids with anxiety.

OK, lady, so here's to a few months of greens as you get going on this habit again! Welcome back aboard the moderation boat. :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Thanks, automated eating!!! Glad to see you're still around! Yes, here's to a few months of green days!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Wb! Great to hear your son is doing so well. He is really lucky to have such attentive & caring parents. Also great to hear that you’re managing your MS. Definitely seems like a good time to jump back in the NoS train.

Gl!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:08 am

Thank you, lpearlmom! I appreciate that. I never feel like I'm doing this parenting thing correcrly! Kids should definitely come with owners manuals! 😂

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:39 pm

Monday and Tuesday were green days! 3:30 was hard....wanted to reach for a snack out of habit and boredom. Not working this week, so that helps keep structure, even if snacks are just a few steps away at all times. Looking forward to Saturday. Going to a birthday party, so can eat cake and ice cream and not feel guilt or track the calories. Going to try to avoid the scales for a while. They always make me quit. No matter how good I'm doing, the scales never seem to reflect it.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:17 am

If I get that 3:30 wanna eat feeling, I have a decaf cup of coffee w/ half & half (or just milk). It really does the trick.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2