2017 check-in for Allisonmeg

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:27 am

Trying to understand. What's in the way of windows of meal times? Are the workmen working through dinner time?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:32 pm

B- Buds
L- Chix salad from Mcdonalds
D-

Hard time not snacking, was also hard not to eat son's melting ice cream cone from Mcdonalds

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Using your own words:
I abandoned No S BECAUSE it felt too superficial that I would write about my food intake when I had life/death stuff to deal with. I actually felt guilty for wanting to keep No S. In retrospect I would have stayed with it because it was the only thing in my world I had any control over. With me, the lack of structure made everything else spin even further off course. This entire year seemed like it was falling apart but as I started No S and posting again, I felt a semblance of control come back. My advice is to keep at this no matter what life brings you this year. It's about a lot more than food. Keep writing it down and stay accountable.
It doesn't have to be easy to not snack and not eat the children's food.

Consider looking at the justifying thoughts and urges that occur just before you reach for the snack or lick that cone. What can you say to counteract them? What benefit will you be missing out on if you don't wait to eat even your temporary snack-food meals? Can you imagine an average woman, perhaps in another country, who wouldn't do those things in the same situation just because it's just not the habit of the surrounding culture? Can you try to align yourself with that culture for inner support?

You might think, things can be chaotic, but I can still stick to meals, and will be happier when I do.

I'm on your side!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:06 pm

I'm at an all day college fair with my daughter, so just hanging out while she's at a 2 hour seminar. Thank you oolala, I will have to ponder your thoughts more when I'm at home instead of on phone. You have such insight... Do you have any books that you would recommend? Reading my own words was sobering. I fell right back into chaotic eating the second my comfort zone was challenged.
The house painting is done though and I spent
hours putting things back and cleaning 11 years worth of dust in odd places. I didn't work out while the painters were here either so I got really off kilter

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:17 am

You don't know how much good it does me to read that you had 11 years of dust somewhere.

Judith Beck's book on cognitive strategies was integral for me. I've read several books on eating in France. They all have their biases and in my opinion distracting ideas, but the ones that come to mind are The French Diet Plan by William Cower, the Chic and Slim series by Anne Barone, (I don't care much for the French Women Don't Get Fat franchise) and French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon. I've heard Bringing Up Bebe has some sections on eating that shed insight on how women there don't rely on food for emotional support but I could be wrong. I'd read Cower and Barone before No S; it provided the structure for me to apply some of their ideas. A previous Cower book had first made me understand the importance of having the taste of sweet play a much smaller role in my eating because when he wrote it, the annual consumption of sugar was a fraction of ours. (IT's gone up quite a bit, as has snacking, and apparently, it shows.) But none of them deal with how to help yourself when you're messing up. Beck and just any book on habit is more helpful for that. And I'm very big on not having a weight loss goal, but a moderation +food enjoyment goal.

If you read the kids' book, you might end up eventually not often having the problem of having to lick your son's ice cream cone, too.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:08 pm

Thank you oolala! I wrote them all down and going to download the Judith Beck one to start this week. My daughter had used many cognitive strategies, yet I never thought of this for myself. I read a lot of habit books but I'll check out the Beck book too.

Starting a spring blog!
POST FROM NEW BLOG THAT I MOVED HERE

Merry, I didn't want to intrude on your post so I'll write it here.
Sorry you had a wild day. I was reading your post and could follow your food pattern perfectly!!! Just so you know it helps me when you and other veterans still fall prey to an S day. I'm not happy that you had it, but I occasionally need it to keep me coming back. Everyone always seems like they have it down, yet I struggle every single day. I start feeling like faking it, but I know that's what will make me quit.
Oh by faking it, I mean counting calories and lumping eating events together. For instance, writing that I had a burger was totally a lie. I had 4 of whatever Spanish pastries are called, but since both bread, equal calories, it's like I had to write that rather than be judged. They only had one gram of sugar so I justified it, even though in my mind, it was clearly a snack AND dessert. Not changing it so I can learn from it. But if I see reds in a row, it makes me quit. And if I can salvage a day, I just can't mark it as red as I successfully made it through without eating uncontrollably.

I could just not write down what I eat but I find this is the link that keeps me in line. By the way, if I've never mentioned, my mom is morbidly obese and my little sister is anorexic/bulimic for about 25 years now. Not sure where this puts me, but I can say that I'm wildly not normal about food. I had a very big issue with chewing food up and spitting it out. Have never mentioned that out loud before, and worse, was happy that my sister admired me for this. With nonstop working out, lots of alcohol and eating all my 1400 calories by 10 am, I beat my sister (this has been many years). Was that the goal? Not sure. I have a husband who notices every bite I put in my mouth. Therefore, I can't help but hide when I eat. I've turned into my mom, where all my kids say, (why are you doing this (no S)? You never eat!
Even more puzzling is how my mom got so fat. I never EVER saw her eat anything extra. Is this where I got my hiding? To this day I don't understand how she' s so big. I saw her eat a piece of toast for breakfast and then be finicky at dinner, only usually having spinach. And huge, my dad was always comparing her to the fat girl on Hee Haw, yet when I look back to pictures then, she was FINE! I was always starving at dinner as a kid and either didn't have enough, or was served something gross, like liver. So now here I am, being totally opposite, making sure my 6 kids love everything they eat. It's just a mess I swear. I literally make each kid their own meal every single day. My entire day revolves around what each one gets. It's got me thinking how when my ex husband was overseas/no kids, I had nothing whatsoever in the house. I fantasize about that now. Now my husband's and my obsession is grocery shopping. We do it every single day as our date time, yet our house is brimming with food. We have 3 refrigerators all filled with food, yet here I am trying not to sample 5 times over!