NoS Members "Adjunct S'ses" list....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

NoS Members "Adjunct S'ses" list....

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:40 pm

Hi folks,,,Reinhard....
I was just thinking that, though your wonderful diet is so fantastic, in that it's streamlined and simple (14 words total.. No matter how ADD challenged one is, you can't mess up, or get overwhelmed, on following that), it would be fun to start a thread which reinforces the original concept but also links it to our daily behaviors...
We all have our own particular challenges, so we have to adapt NoS to best serve us in our lives... This is very doable, and that's it's appeal to most, I think...
So the guiding theme of NoS is the use of the letter S... Why not make an additional list of Sses, that we incorporate into the mix? They are just suggestions, or obsevations of what we think would be helpful, behaviorally, or gastronomically, and really I think they will be inspiring, since they just come to us out of our daily lives.... Again, not to alter the original diet manifesto, that is perfect, just a way to have fun and keep in the NoS frame of mind... Infact, it would probably just reenforce the whole thing..
Some teacher of mine, at Swedish institute, who taught a class in how we actually process info, and "learn" said that, there is a direct correlation between practice and utilizing a variety of techniques, to solidify a concept in our minds... So, for example, if you are learning about the circulatory system, you could paint a picture of it, or write a poem about it, or make a model of it... etc.... All this is reenforcement...
So if any of you want to add to this, as you go along, I would get a big kick out of it.... It all helps... Describe the circumstance when you thought of your special "S adjunct" too... This way, if someone is ever in the same situation, maybe your anecdote will come to mind, and our collective consciousness will help avoid possible diet blunders...
Reinhard has mentioned a few to begin with, so out of respect I will list his first...
No Supersizes

My newest one is No Stagnation
I went to take a second teaspoon of sugar for my coffee before, and caught myself in the act... I stopped myself, and thought, why stay with my old ways?
I translated this into the concept, so familiar in Traditional Chinese medicine, as Stagnation.... Actually, it is this Stagnation which, when unchanged, becomes a pathology...
Someone said "Change is good"... they were right...
Getting in ruts happens... when you find an opportunity to get out of Stagnation, do it....
Any more S ideas out there?...
Put em down as they present themselves to you...
Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:07 pm

Ha ha! I just thought of another very unhealthy habit...
No Standing when eating....
This usually leads to the food not even registering mentally...
Sitting down really helps you enjoy and be with your food...

Seeya!
8) Deb

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:28 pm

This is mostly covered under "No Snacking", but I put a special emphasis on "No Salty Snacks"
Even more than candy (except chocolate, I'm a sucker for chocolate), I love salt. Pretzels, chips, pickles, olives, salt on my veggies, extra salt on my chips, salted licorice...you get the idea.
Now, salt is vital to life. If you don't have enough salt, you die. But too much salt is bad too, and that's a pitfall for me.

So yeah.

"No Salty stuff"
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:40 pm

In the past, I think I thought of that one too... High sodium isn't healthy for sure... The only thing is, this is a dietary restriction which occasionally we all indulge in, and it is actually NoS approved... Not in huge crazy amounts...
But if it works for you personally, cool!!!
My aim is not to be redundant, but to reenforce the manifesto as is..
If it starts with an S and if people understand it's just an adjunct, not really a rule, I guess it's okay... What would you say on that Reinhard?

I thought of another goodie, but it's really behavioral...
I've noticed that some people like to use the word, "Scarf" as in
"I was so hungry by lunchtime that I had to scarf down my subway sandwich..."
I think we No Scarfing should be included, in our arsenal of mental S mantras....
You could say "No Stuffing" either.... (meaning no stuffing your face, not the kind that goes into a turkey!)
Love,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:43 pm

No SKIMPING. I find myself, due to years of diet mindset, actually trying to eat less at each meal than I need to satisfy hunger fully, and that leads me to be hungry sooner than the 5 - 6 hrs. It also leads me to be not satisfied, and thinking of food, when the whole point of this (well, one of the whole points) is to get pull our head out of the food and get on with our day.

So, this morning I had a large breakfast. I'm a newbie here, so I am trying not to jump forward and try downsizing yet, although the diet mentality keeps whispering in my ear.

peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:51 pm

Peetie! That's excellent!!! Skimping gets you nowhere but miserable....
Most diets are miserable...
No Skimping it is!

That segues beautifully into
No Skipping meals either, for that is a recipe for disaster....
Thanks ladies for coming up with such great stuff!
I think that NoS really attracts intellectual types... It was written by a supreme intellect, so that is no surprise to me (and sorry if I'm sounding conceited LOL!!! "oh I'm just so intellectual! Look at me!!! LOL...)
But seriously... I can imagine that peoples ideas here are going to really be great!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

spiralstares

Post by spiralstares » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:52 pm

I've added one S that really boosts this diet into the miracle class...

No Swallowing.

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:22 pm

How about NO SHAMING? Sometimes you can get off-plan and then think "Oh no! I've totally ruined my diet!" This is bad for self esteem and motivation. Let's learn to pick our selves up and go on instead of getting on the shame-wagon. :)
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:44 pm

Ha ha! Very funny Spiral! You are bad... :P
(This is making me think of adding no sarcasm too! LOL...)
I don't ever want to strive to belong to the miracle class if that's what it takes! LOL...
Einstein said that (paraphrase) Either you look at nothing in Life as a miracle, or you look at everything in life as a miracle....

Anyways... Tricia!!!
Shame is sometimes helpful when what we do is really worth being ashamed of... Maybe doing intentional harm to another would be a good instance of "healthy shame"...
But when all you are trying to do is self improve, why bother with it?
Who needs it?....
Amen to
No Shaming thineself!
Peace,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:55 pm

Heh, for me it's no sampling while I'm puting together a recipe. None of this "One for me, one for the pot"....

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:54 am

For me an important one would be no sneaking!! This would mean fix the food, put it on the plate, eat it at the table WITH my family.

Y'all have come up with some great tips!
(hope the color comes out right...)
Judy

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:09 am

Hey Navin!!!!! No free samples for you!!! LOL....
And Judy, somehow I bet that snacking must be related to the word sneaking...

No Sneaking!
8) Peace and Love,
Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:52 pm

Here's one which I have been working on changing for some time now....
When at all possible, try to avoid eating under conditions which are very stressful...
No Stress is a goodie....
I know this is hard, but it's really important to sit down and have a pleasant meal...
I personally will postpone eating a meal, for as long as it takes, to calm down before eating it, and under no circumstances will I eat something when I'm really upset, or in some sort of fight...
Unfortunately, in my home, we had loads of fights at dinner time...
I can't really remember enjoying those experiences...

Some days I wind up a little hungrier once I've found the right moment to eat my meal, but I never have indigestion and I prefer eating in a calm enviornment...
I usually like to say my own version of grace too... That just helps center and calm me too...
Peace,
8) Deb