S Day Thoughts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TexArk

S Day Thoughts

Post by TexArk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:59 pm

I am sure this has been written before by someone. It may even be in in the book. Folks have posted good S Day thoughts recently and I want to add mine.

We all know that the "sometimes" needs to be in our S Days. We also know that we can't have a free for all and expect our bodies to ignore it since it was an S Day. But how about starting with the thought each weekend that there are 104 S Days in the year even before you add in the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's, Easter, July 4) and all the family and friends birthdays and anniversaries. Wow! That's a lot of S Days! Studies also show that Americans gain most of their weight over the holidays and never get it off. I think someone just posted an article where most of the calories Americans consume is over the weekend and if the week is not made up of light meals, weight gain occurs.

So for me I am with those who have decided that S Days should be normal meals sometimes ending in a dessert or second helpings, and maybe a little more dense than weekday meals. But they are not a license to binge or mindlessly graze all day.

Anyway, it just helped me this weekend to think of all the opportunities I will have to enjoy all sorts of foods for over 100 days a year. This is not a diet. I don't have to cram it all in before I start back on a diet on Monday. There will be another opportunity for a piece of pie for goodness sake!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:20 am

Wow,texark, that really makes you think, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing! I'm the person who tries to cram it all in before I start the next new diet. Need to let go of that mindset. Today was actually a game S day, but I just tried a cupcake that I really didn't need. Good thing is, I wasn't really enjoying it and threw half away! I also had a bottle of my favorite soda that I've only had once in the last 17 days and I didn't finish it. Small successes. :D

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:30 am

TexArk it has taken me 5 months of NoS to realise this. Eventually I became so fed up of feeling out of control on S days that I decided to cut out snacks completely. I think I have an inner rebel in my mindset which most likely stems back to being put on a diet aged 12, followed by all the countless diets I have been on over the years. So when I am not 'being good' I am then completely off the rails with my eating.
This is my second weekend of no snacks. I feel much much better just having seconds and sweets at mealtimes and am finding that I am able to be sensible about it. You kindly commented on my daily check in about how I was even able to leave some fries and dessert when eating out as I felt so full.
NoS has helped me in so many ways but finding control is pretty significant for me.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:43 pm

I was one that went crazy on S days during the times I've tried No S in the past. That's the reason I decided after starting this time (hopefully for the final time) I am going to try not snacking at all between meals on even S days. I think this will work much better for me, even though I still have fail days. I hope to continue building this habit of no snacking.
No S Restart 05/22/19

ceo418

Post by ceo418 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:33 pm

I think that's where I'm trying to head, as well. After two years of lots of ups and downs, I know I should limit my S- days. Actually, that's the way yesterday turned out. 3 meals, 2 with sweets, and no snacks or seconds. It was a nice feeling!

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:42 pm

That's exactly what I'm doing Ceo418. I got the idea from Noni, another nos-er. I don't think she'd mind me mentioning her name. I still have my days, but I think this way of eating is going to be the key for me.
No S Restart 05/22/19

eam531

Post by eam531 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:17 pm

I've worked pretty hard on nailing down the No S habits, especially no snacking. I don't snack on S days, and I generally have one sweet per S day--usually a really nice pastry or baked good for breakfast on weekends. And if I want a latte made with whole milk during an S day, I'll have one.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 am

They were NEVER meant to be binge days permanently. It was just supposed to be a way to get it out of the system. What you are proposing is what they were always meant to evolve to, whether naturally or by decision.

I actually still so love the freedom to nibble that I've been doing that on Saturday mornings. And I often end all eating by midafternoon on Sunday. Even three meals is often too many on S days for me. That could change if my life were more social. I think of S days as the most subject to flexibility, and the preservation of the good feelings that moderation produces the key factor. But I consider it all No S.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

noni

Post by noni » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Elizabeth, no, of course I don't mind my strategy mentioned. I have gotten mine from Life is a Blessing. It became mine and your strategy became yours, because it may be similar, but I'll bet it's a little different, too.

If my sweet mod stops working for me, I'll say so on my check-in, as this is an experiment. Vanilla No S has taught me a lot and I'm glad I did it for as long as I have.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Thank you Noni! I appreciate it. I'm sorry for the late reply, but missed it until now, somehow. :)
No S Restart 05/22/19