Do you associate certain foods with dieting?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

3squaremeals

Do you associate certain foods with dieting?

Post by 3squaremeals » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:22 am

Since doing No S I have been avoiding certain healthy foods as I associate them with dieting. Such as brown bread, brown rice, low fat products. I do prefer white rice and white bread as well as full fat products more though, but I feel if I eat wholegrain items or anything low fat that I will get my crazy dieting mentality back which I don't want to happen.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. I probably sound crazy but ive dieted for the last 14 years so my mind is very diet orientated.

noni

Post by noni » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:49 pm

I eat brown and white rice, because I like them both. Same with whole wheat bread, although I prefer to make white bread instead of buy it.

Low fat foods are another story for me. If the fat is taken out of cookies, dairy, etc...I look at that as diet food, and I avoid it because I don't like it as much. But I know that some people prefer low-fat dairy, such as milk, that are not on diets, because whole milk is too rich tasting for them. I have not dieted for years, though, so no diet head, just taste preferences.

Give yourself some time to heal your "diet head". Eat the foods you love, the No S way, without guilt. Down the road you may find yourself wanting some healthier foods to add to your shopping list, and enjoying them, as well.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:09 pm

Thank you, that is great advice. I will certainly enjoy my white products for now and see where that takes me. I don't think I will ever go back to low fat dairy as I much prefer the taste of full fat.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:58 am

Make changes as quickly as they truly make sense to you and come from calm reflection on experience, both internal and external. For example, I never felt any poor effects from drinking colas, but one day one of the warnings I heard about them just hit me, and I've had any only rarely since then. I do believe I'm better off and probably would have been even sooner, but these things usually build in ways that are hard to create purposely. I just continued to stay interested in how to help myself get and stay moderate, and that ended up taking adjusting even years in, though that's not true for everyone.

You don't know how it's going to go until you live it. Have some fun!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Let's see, things that remind me of dieting are caramel rice cakes, sugar free popsicles, and diet 7up. There was also 35 calorie bread but I can't remember what it's called. Oh ,and skim milk.

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:31 am

It's funny how we all have different things that we think of as diet foods. I have now switched to full cream milk, regular coca cola (one can on an S day) and high fibre white bread. I used to be scared of fat and refined carbs but for now I am enjoying the pleasure they bring to eating and drinking. I still enjoy my fruit and veg at each meal too but it's nice to eat what I like for a change

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:35 am

Forgot to say anything about diet foods.

Hmm, I do buy non or low fat cottage cheese and yogurt, but I usually add flaxseed or walnuts to them because I like the combo.

I admit that I do manipulate meals to some degree. I will tend to purposely eat less starch at meals with more fat, and vice versa. But I don't consider that diet head. Maybe it is. It's just a habit now, and I don't know if it's worth changing it back.

Rice cakes! I actually always liked them. I'd go through the whole package in a day. I call it a particle food, and those, including the fatty ones, don't play a big role in my life anymore. They aren't as satisfying as other starches, so I've let them drop.

I tend to keep any food, "diet" or not, that I enjoy before, during, and after I eat it. The drift has been towards "real" food, but I still use Molly McButter! I guess THAT is a diet food.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:15 am

Do you prefer the taste of non fat yoghurt to full fat? I personally find it lacking in flavour and really enjoy the creaminess of full fat yoghurt. I also find it helps to keep me full for longer.

Some people can't switch to full fat after dieting for so long. My mum only drinks skim milk and thinks full cream milk tastes like drinking pure cream whereas I think skim milk tastes like water. I guess your palate gets used to certain tastes after a while.

I am trying not to think about how much starch I put on my plate at meals but it does creep into my mind after dieting and only ever allowing myself a very small serve of rice and pasta. If yours is a habit rather than diet head causing you to do it then there is definitely no harm in what you are doing, and clearly it works for you.

Selcazare

Post by Selcazare » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Low-fat dairy, double-fiber "bread," artificial sweeteners... most low calorie faux foods remind me of time on WW or Atkins and I don't eat them anymore. Funny enough vegetables never remind me of diets because I avoided them! :oops:

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:02 pm

the small packages of totally dark bread.. i actually like them... they taste so full... but not like bread... since im on noS i havent had one...
i eat wholewheat toast... just because the pure white one tastes like glue...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:48 am

OMGOsh kaali, when I was a girl, I used to roll up the white bread into little balls and eat them. They were more like dough and I loved that. I don't know when the last time was I had a piece of that bread.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:23 am

oolala53 wrote:OMGOsh kaali, when I was a girl, I used to roll up the white bread into little balls and eat them.
hahah, me too!
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

noni

Post by noni » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 am

Oolala, Whenever my father prepared himself a sandwich on a Kaiser roll, he would pull out the bread from the middle and roll it into little balls, and say, "I'm getting rid of the "mig." Not sure where that word came from, I think he made it up. I pull it out also from rolls, but I don't ball it up, but maybe I should, because my son sees it and pops it into his mouth.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Isn't that funny? Some people do pull out the iinnerds (sp?) of rolls but they'd rarely eat just the crust of a slice of bread.

I still like good sourdough or white flour artisan bread in restaurants, though they are the exception for me. It's just Wonder and its brethren that it never occurs to me to buy.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:09 pm

I was watching an old tv show last night and a lady was eating half a grapefruit for breakfast. That's definitely something that makes me think of dieting! I've only eaten it when on a diet plan that required it but I really enjoyed it. Need to buy some to eat just because I like it!

noni

Post by noni » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am

oolala53 wrote:Isn't that funny? Some people do pull out the iinnerds (sp?) of rolls but they'd rarely eat just the crust of a slice of bread.
I do this with slice bread in the package, but not home made.
oolala53 wrote:I still like good sourdough or white flour artisan bread in restaurants, though they are the exception for me. It's just Wonder and its brethren that it never occurs to me to buy.
Do you ever eat sandwiches at home? What would you use?

noni

Post by noni » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am

MaggieMae wrote:I was watching an old tv show last night and a lady was eating half a grapefruit for breakfast. That's definitely something that makes me think of dieting! I've only eaten it when on a diet plan that required it but I really enjoyed it. Need to buy some to eat just because I like it!
That was my first made-up diet when I was 21 y/o. Half a grapefruit w/a little sugar sprinkled on for breakfast; lunch was taken to work in a thermos of 1/2 can of Campbells soup; plain salad for dinner. Eleven lbs lost in 6 days. Just don't ask how fast I put it back on...lol.

If I bought grapefruit, it will all be mine. Do you know any men who eat that? It's like a female fruit.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Noni,you crack me up! You're right about never seeing a man eat grapefruit. Maybe they assume it's really disgusting since women only eat it to lose weight. I know that there are a lot of medications that interact with grapefruit and it's juice. My husband isn't allowed to haveit and he's on meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. Wow, your diet sounded like torture! I would've quit before dinner!

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:30 am

LOL, actually my dad and grandpa used to eat grapefruit! I love grapefruit, but no one else in my family here does. They're definitely all mine when we get them!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:09 am

Interesting thread! Many a time I have gone and stocked up on 'diet' food, telling myself that this is definitely the time I will stick to it! Usually my trolley would contain ryvita, cottage cheese, low fat yoghurt, cup a soups, and sugar free jelly! I do actually enjoy these foods but they will always be associated with diets for me.
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:03 pm

I can't stand the sight of eggs, bacon, cheese, steak....anything remotely related to low carb dieting.
~ Laura ~

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:26 pm

For a very long time, I used to associate salads and apples with dieting.

To cure my diet brain, I did wind up eating a lot of bento (Japanese lunch boxes. I have a hobby of making them. Don't laugh at me) with fresh cut up veggies for a while and ate a lot more strawberries than apples when I wanted fruit.

So, what did I have for lunch today? A salad with diced chicken, celery, cucumber, diced apples, dried cranberries and walnuts with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

You get over it after a few years. Don't rush it.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.