4 months in and on a rollercoaster

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

huggit

4 months in and on a rollercoaster

Post by huggit » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:11 am

I started No S in December 16 and have not lost a pound! I think I have put some on but not sure what I was to start with. My question is does too much bread make a difference. I have to eat white bread (IBS) and tend to have some for breakfast and for lunch, but wonder if this is stalling any progress. I also struggle with IBS, so my medication that I take almost daily (imodium) may be a problem. I dont know have been dipping in and out of No S for a while now, simply because I weighed myself after Christmas and saw no progress. I am still here though, but think I need some pointers. :D

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:22 pm

I eat white bread. I just don't like any other bread!! I'm a pretty healthy eater & get fiber from other things, but I'll only eat things I like & I don't like wheat bread LOL!!

From what I notice if I eat bread or any other really carb heavy thing, I need to include it with protein & fat or it leaves me hungry sooner & eating more overall.

For me not losing weight on No S isn't based on what I include in my diet, but when my S days are a little too big or my N days aren't quite lite enough & I end up on a cycle of lose a tiny during the week, put back on over the weekend, repeat, repeat. It is easier for me to lose weight when I need to when I make sure to have fat & protein in my meals because I'm less hungry overall & it's easier to make smart choices when I'm not starving all the time (: Good luck!!

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:30 am

I wouldn't think having a slice or two of white bread a couple of times per day would keep you from losing. I would pay more attention to:

Are N days staying green, or do you have red days in there? Or, are you taking too many S days?
Are you drinking lots of drinks that have calories (I think this one gets me sometimes)?
How full are your plates? (Going to a smaller plate might be worth considering, or if you find you fill your plates so that you'll be really full, try to fill them less full). I find this one gets me too.

If all that checks out, then I'd start thinking about the contents of meals and whether you want to shift anything there.

I hope you can find some subtle changes that will make it a bit easier to lose.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

huggit

Post by huggit » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:46 am

:D This makes sense I was reading someone elses posts and they are having yogurt and fruit and a english muffin for breakfast, so I do think breakfast is my main problems, getting absolutely starving at about 1030am is no good for sensible choices at lunch and dinner, so I am going to try this and see what the week brings! Thank you both for your help :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Sounds like you have a plan. But for clarity, how tall are you and what is your present BMI?

Eventually, you may find that being very hungry when you start a meal doesn't mean you eat a lot more at that meal. There are some biological reasons to want more, but a lot of it is just expectation that has nothing to do with need, especially if we'd like to start coaxing the body to tap into its stores a little more.

And there are other things to do, but periods of the discipline of habit maintenance are invaluable in creating jumping off points for the next purposeful adjustments, if nothing shifts on its own. You are right on track for that.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

huggit

Post by huggit » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:07 am

5 ft 5 and BMI 30. I think my hunger is to do with my condition, but I have started as I mean to go on this morning with

Skyr yogurt and summer berries
Toast and marmalade

Lets hope this is a start of some progress! :roll:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:51 pm

You'll always be glad you waited it out. You've got stores you want your body to tap in to. It needs practice. Unless you want to go the LCHF route.

BTW, that is about where I started, though I thought I was an inch taller... :roll:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:21 pm

I like that phrase: "Start as I mean to go on!"

I have trouble losing weight too. I was heartened to see that some people did not lose much the first year and used the building of habit to drop weight later. I like the other benefit of NoS so much that I'm hoping to stick with it regardless, but of course it would be thrilling to lose some weight too.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 am

Larkspur, do you think you are ready to cut anything at your meals? Is there any reason besides weight loss that would make you be willing to shave off some food? Because if you aren't, if it seems it would be making it too unpleasant, then try to be ok with the status quo for now because you're not likely to lose without some cutting somewhere.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

huggit

Bad day yesterday

Post by huggit » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:33 am

So.....I had an uncomfortable morning with a big flare on IBS meaning by 10am I was so hungry because to not be to be too graphic I had nothing left :evil:

BUT I continued I only had more crisps than normal at lunch time, had a ham and plenty of cheese sandwich, and then stew and pasta at night, I had 1 alcoholic beverage as this condition really gets to me and I felt like I needed something to cheer me up! So I didn't go majorly off a green day, and hope for a better day today!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 am

What a drag! But it doesn't sound to me like you went off the program at all.

Remember that you WANT to have "nothing left" from your meals at some point during the day. If not, your body never has a reason to draw on its glycogen stores and fat. It has to have a reason to draw them out. Otherwise, it's just water fluctuations.

But it would probably be more pleasant to get your deficit another way... :wink:

Warmest wishes recovering!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:04 pm

So sorry you were not feeling good yesterday. Good for you for staying on track despite setbacks.