Silverlining_Eeyore's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Silverlining_Eeyore

Silverlining_Eeyore's Daily Check-In

Post by Silverlining_Eeyore » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:30 am

Day 1/Mon/08.15.16 - GREEN :D

My story is like so many others. I was a chunky kid but didn't start focusing on my eating habits until I was around 15. I took PE with a couple friends during the summer, watched what I ate and lost all my "baby fat". In fact, by the time I got to college I was skinny. When I finished college I had gained 20lbs but I was still within a healthy weight range. I idiotically joined weight watchers :evil: I reached my goal weight after 6 months but never became lifetime because it was too hard to stick to the program. I would cancel my membership and start some other diet like Atkins or vegetarianism or gluten free and when the weight wouldn't budge I would go back to weight watchers. This is pretty much what I've done for the past 12 years. My original weight when I started in 2004 was 139lbs (with a sweater and sneakers on). My current weight butt-naked is 169lbs...LOL!

The past couple years have been harsh. In 2014 my baby girl was born extremely premature and passed after a month. My father passed away on July 3rd of this year. It's been hard.....

Sane and Simple NoS will allow me to focus on life itself. I have to stop eating my emotions and deal with them head on. This NoS journey is so much more than weight loss. It's about being patient and loving myself, being healthy and enjoying all things life gives me and not to mention sanity.

My NoS Journey Begins.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:25 am

Welcome, Silverlining! My diet story is almost exactly like yours except I went on my first diet at the age of 12 and have been on one ever since. I graduated high school weighing 100 pounds and my highest weight was 200 pounds. Sigh.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your precious baby girl. And also your father. I can't even imagine how hard that must be.

Wishing you much success on your NoS journey!

Silverlining_Eeyore

Post by Silverlining_Eeyore » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:54 pm

e-lyn> Thank you!

Silverlining_Eeyore

Post by Silverlining_Eeyore » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:21 am

Day 2/Tues/08.16.16 - GREEN

Breakfast: Banana & 2 Alyssa Vegan Bites/Cookies (2grams of sugar)
Lunch: Collard greens, mac & cheese, pasta salad & cornbread
Dinner: Pollo Tropical Chicken Enchilada Salad (YUM!)
Water: 1 Gallon
10k steps: Check

Today was a good day. I passed on peach cobbler at a work luncheon and promised myself a peach crisp or coffee cake for the weekend if I'm still craving peach. Why is choosing food so much harder when you have all the options in the world?? Ha!!! I had to really think about what I wanted for dinner and let me tell you that never happens. Before it was all about how many points I had left. I have a ton of cookbooks with recipes I can't wait to try.

I'm proud of myself! On to Day 3...

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:14 am

I too am so sorry for your losses.

You're brave to recognize that you want to deal with emotions head on and not masking them with food.
Silverlining_Eeyore wrote:Day 2/Tues/08.16.16 - GREEN

Breakfast: Banana & 2 Alyssa Vegan Bites/Cookies (2grams of sugar)
Lunch: Collard greens, mac & cheese, pasta salad & cornbread
Dinner: Pollo Tropical Chicken Enchilada Salad (YUM!)
Water: 1 Gallon
10k steps: Check

Today was a good day. I passed on peach cobbler at a work luncheon and promised myself a peach crisp or coffee cake for the weekend if I'm still craving peach. Why is choosing food so much harder when you have all the options in the world?? Ha!!! I had to really think about what I wanted for dinner and let me tell you that never happens. Before it was all about how many points I had left. I have a ton of cookbooks with recipes I can't wait to try.

I'm proud of myself! On to Day 3...
Wow, congratulations on a great day. I've had that experience too--I could choose anything, now what do I want?!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:41 am

Yay awesome! It must be so nice to let go of the point counting. Who wants to spend their life counting everything that goes into their mouth? Not me!

Here's a couple of questions you can ask yourself when trying to figure out what you want:

Do I want something that is:

hot or cold?
spicy or bland?
salty, sweet or sour?
smooth or crunchy?

Happy cooking!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

ziriziri

Post by ziriziri » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:53 am

You're on the right track, Silverlining!

Food is a meagre comfort, that's why we need so much of it :( better to find peace in other ways.

Hug from Norway

Silverlining_Eeyore

Post by Silverlining_Eeyore » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:13 am

ziriziri> Indeed.
lpearlmom> It really feels amazing to not worry about counting points or calories. I'll definitely be using your suggestions. Thanks.
Merry> Thank You.

Silverlining_Eeyore

Post by Silverlining_Eeyore » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:23 am

Day 3/Weds/08.17.16 - GREEN

Breakfast: 3 alyssa cookies & banana
Lunch: 2 chicken empanadas w/ black beans & rice
Dinner: Huge salad
Water: Gallon
10K Steps: Check

Today was good. I'm jonesing for something sweet, but don't know what. Guess that's a good thing. My go to candy has always been skittles...ha! I still can't get over how amazing it feels to not feel anxiety when co-workers ask if you can join them for lunch. I was tempted to plug my foods into a weight watchers point calculator but stayed strong. Diet head is no joke. Can't wait til my lifestyle is habitually eating 3 meals a day and having sweets & snacks on S days.

I'm so close to getting my first week under my belt. YAY!!

Silverlining_Eeyore

Post by Silverlining_Eeyore » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:33 am

Day 4/Thurs/08.18.16 - GREEN

It's a green day by the skin of my teeth. Today has been hard. I woke up exhausted and ended up drinking regular coffee instead of decaf and messing up my stomach. My dinner was an egg salad sandwich with a good helping of trail mix & peanut butter pretzels. I am happy that I didn't cave because I was eyeing the twizzlers, gummy bears and cookies.

I'm calling it a night&#128555;

So far I would like twizzlers, gummy bears, fudge, peanut brittle and muffins this weekend...ha!!

Tomorrow is Friday and will be a much better day.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:15 am

Silverlining_Eeyore wrote:Day 4/Thurs/08.18.16 - GREEN

It's a green day by the skin of my teeth. Today has been hard. I woke up exhausted and ended up drinking regular coffee instead of decaf and messing up my stomach. My dinner was an egg salad sandwich with a good helping of trail mix & peanut butter pretzels. I am happy that I didn't cave because I was eyeing the twizzlers, gummy bears and cookies.

I'm calling it a night&#128555;

So far I would like twizzlers, gummy bears, fudge, peanut brittle and muffins this weekend...ha!!

Tomorrow is Friday and will be a much better day.
Hi Silverling_, Twizzlers used to be made in my home town. A co-worker's wife used to bring freshly made twizzlers from the factory over to our lobby for snacking. They were so fresh and delicious, that I remembered my mom saying licorice isn't really candy-yea right. I recently saw her profile on Linkedin and she's still there after 30+ years and skinny as a rail??
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:11 am

Good for you...resisting all those sweets and snacks! It really does get easier. I pretty easily gave up the daytime snacking and sweets. But I still get itchy for something to eat in the evening when I watch TV.

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:08 am

Whosonfirst wrote:Hi Silverling_, Twizzlers used to be made in my home town. A co-worker's wife used to bring freshly made twizzlers from the factory over to our lobby for snacking. They were so fresh and delicious, that I remembered my mom saying licorice isn't really candy-yea right. I recently saw her profile on Linkedin and she's still there after 30+ years and skinny as a rail??
Ooooh, I've never had freshly made twizzlers...that sounds pretty awesome!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi. 8)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)