Average 21 Day Challenge Loss?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Average 21 Day Challenge Loss?

Post by Over43 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:11 pm

I have partaken in the 21 day challenge twice. Both times, at the end of 21 days, I have lost 10 pounds. 3.3 pounds a week, 1/2 pound a day (or there abouts).

Not to pry, if anyone else would like to share, what is an average for others?
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

noni

Post by noni » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Looking at your accomplishments, as an older female, it wouldn't be a challenge, more like a massacre. But congratulations on a job well done!
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:09 am

Over43, Those are great weight loss numbers! Congratulations!

Noni, You are too funny! :lol:

I don't even see a 21 day challenge listed, but sounds like something I'd love to do. I'm having a hard time accomplishing one full week of green, so maybe a challenge is just what I need to motivate me. I think I'll start a personal challenge on my daily check-in.
No S Restart 05/22/19

noni

Post by noni » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:43 pm

I remember a challenge at my church years ago, called the 15 lb weight loss club. I joined, but really only wanted to lose 10 lbs that wouldn't come off after my 4th child. You gave $15 to the kitty at the start. Then every week, on an evening, you all met together to exchange low-fat recipes and ideas (days of the low-fat craze). You were on the honor system of weight loss - no scales at the church. Each pound you lost you would get a dollar back. If you gained the pound back you gave the dollar back, but it wouldn't exceed the total of your $15. Whoever is still participating in the club, and has the most weight loss, wins the remainder of the kitty. It started early in Sept and would end just before Christmas. People were dropping out every week. The leader dropped out too, and because we rode together to the church, she thrust the folder at me in the car and said she just got an evening job, and for me to take over. By the time Christmas rolled around, it was only me and one elderly lady who was happy just to lose a few pounds (I certainly understand her now!). I became the winner at an 18 lb loss, but I felt so guilty about being in charge and winning (will they think I'm a cheat and a thief? I did look thinner), I ended up donating it to my favorite ministry. I don't think anyone knew about that ("don't wave your alms before men"), but nothing was ever mentioned, as tho' the club never existed.

About the low-fat diet, I continued on it, for the most part, for a couple more months, thinking this was good for my family, anyway. I had piled up so many LF cookbooks and used them well. It wasn't horrible fare, but I was always hungry, trying to stay below 120 lbs. I eventually dumped it all, gain back most of my weight, and then more after my 5th child. The only thing the LF diet had going for it was, my kitchen never looked cleaner. My kitchen windows were clear and my stove exhaust fan stayed clean from greasy film.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:55 pm

I am not sure where the 21 Day "challenge" went. I believe it is less about weight loss, and more about building the No S habit. I just happened to do well on them.

I think some of our members who have exhibited longevity on the forum(s) here will remember it.

I am back on the "challenge".

We will see what happens. but, as stated in another post, I am a few years older now, we will see how this works. I guess I should just do a month challenge. :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Noni, I think it's a shame others didn't acknowledge your weight loss success.

I've tried LF diets before, and like you, stayed in a constant state of hunger. You're right about the kitchen remaining cleaner, though. :)

Over43, I did go ahead and start a personal challenge. Feeling determined at the moment. Praying it sticks! haha

Good luck in your challenge!
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:56 pm

I'd be more curious what the % of weight lost was. Also, I think only the loss from weeks 2 and 3 should be counted, as, if someone hadn't been compliant for awhile, the first week would be mostly water loss because of using up stored sugar forms. A person eating LC would lose even more water up front. But that could be replaced just by drinking more. And two people could stick to the plan but end up eating very different numbers of calories. Yet the one who ate more might be doing better six months later.

AAAch, it's starting to feel like being on a diet...

I participated in a challenge at work about 10 years ago, before No S. The guy who won gained about half his weight back while I now weigh less. Think I can convince him to give me the money he won?

Unless we're talking about just challenging yourself, but even then...

I lost on WW years before that and gained most of it back.

It wasn't until I committed to moderation no matter what the results that the other benefits of eating less came more into focus, rather than the delight of losing weight. And that has made all the difference.

Too bad there wasn't a way as convenient as a scale to quantify those benefits.

It would be interesting to see what the long term results are compared to the first 21 days. Do people who lose easily at first stay with it more than ones who don't?
Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:29 am

I've never lost anywhere near that much!

I lost 7 lbs. my first month on No-S--probably 5 of that was in the first 21 days. But after that, my losses are usually 1-2 lbs. per month. I haven't stopped and started to do another 21 day challenge though--but I've had many strings of 21 days on habit without red days or excess yellow days in there. No S is just how I eat now (going on 1 year, 4 months).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:33 pm

Oolala: "I'd be more curious what the % of weight lost was."

I think the first time was about .054 at the time. I think. If I remember right. And, the second time would be about .052 as well.

I think the first effort I weighed 185. The second result I was about 190.

This current run I have started at about 196/197. Last Wednesday was awful, and my weekend was a real chump. So, I had a good day yesterday, on track tocay, we will see, if I can keep the momentum, what happens in three weeks. Swimsuit season is almost here! :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:00 pm

I think I lost 5 lbs. in each of my first two months, 100% compliant, starting at 185. Sounds like a little more than half of your record. It took a long time to get the next 10 off, and two years total to get 40 off, with one period of relapse. It was never steady. Drops tended to follow a pattern of light S days, and miraculously stay there, even though my S day eating went up again, though usually not to previous levels. The eating and weight bumped its way down. But then it has stabilized for the most part for several years until the last year, when my weight has drifted downward again. I didn't have a GOAL to weigh less but to adjust the quality of my food and the ratio of dense-to-light yet again, plus a little random frequency changes, this time for certain health goals. Most of the changes that have stuck have been gradual.

Not that my experience means anything.

Warmest wishes.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Coming up on my fourth week. 2-3 pounds? Was pretty compliant though not perfect. Not much exercise. My BMI is 30 so plenty to lose.

Oolala, what do you mean your experience doesn't mean anything? Why wouldn't it? :shock:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Just that one's person experience can't be predicted in another. Previous habits, preferences, health conditions, body type, mindset, etc., can all affect how easily things go. Some people drop a lot of weight rather fast. Others inch along. Sometimes inchers suddenly make changes they were convinced were too hard before and lose. Others make the same changes and don't lose. Etc.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:19 am

Well, now I want to see how much I will lose if I am able to do 21 days. I've done it many times before but it's been years and I'm back at max right now to prove it... I'm going for it!

Here's the link to the 21 day club: https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopi ... &start=800
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me