maryelle's daily checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

maryelle

maryelle's daily checkin

Post by maryelle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Day 1 was April 11. Green day. Became quite cognizant of why 20 lbs have crept on through the past couple of decades: I snack, alot. People bring us nurses tons of food, usually sweets, every single day. Yesterday, I did not eat lemon bars, coffee cake, brownies, chocolate. Prior to nos, I would have had a bit of everything, and definitely the entire lemon bar, maybe 2. I told myself if I really want it, I'll take one home for a S day. but I did not.
Walked for an hour.
Plates were pretty full, but I was starving between meals, so I think I am on the right track.
All in all, feeling pretty pleased.
love is the answer

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:55 pm

It does sound like you're off to a great start.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Yay!

Before I became a nurse, I ran the database for a Heart Transplant Group. The coordinator was run off her feet and didn't have time to eat the massive amounts of goodies that grateful patients sent. Not so good for me :)

maryelle

Post by maryelle » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks for the encouragement.
It's Saturday, had a good first week, all green
Someone brought dark chocolate peanut butter cups and different types of roasted and flared nuts. Everyone was chatting and snacking. I took some, and put it in a plastic bag, and took it to save for a S- day. Delayed gratification is not so bad.
I'm feeling happy I got through the work week so well. 10 hour shifts, plus commute makes exercise difficult. So three days I took an hour walk through campus, before driving home. And one night I did kettle bells when I got home
I'm getting there, I'm taking the slow and doable path

PS Anyone know why the emoticons show up as (# in my post?
love is the answer

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:28 am

Congratulations on the first green week, and also on fitting exercise into your schedule. It must be tough to work in an environment with goodies all around, sounds like you're dealing with it really well.
I CAN do this.