Easter as S or not?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Skycat

Easter as S or not?

Post by Skycat » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:38 pm

I find myself wondering what people are doing regarding Easter and S days. It is a holiday, both in the country I'm from and where I live now, but it sort of feels fraudulent to count it as an S day. I love the idea of having 1 or 2 extra S days but honestly I'm not a Christian and I don't celebrate Easter. I do celebrate Christmas and would certainly give myself 3 S days there for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing day because it's culturally established as a holiday even apart from the religion. So where does that leave me with Easter?

Any thoughts?
I CAN do this.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:43 pm

Uhhh... SUNDAY is an S day by the strict vanilla interpretation of No-S. So yeah, Easter is totally an S day.

FWIW, I'm an atheist, but I count cultural holidays as S days.

Seriously? If your problem is weekends and cultural holidays, you might not have the problem you think you do.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:40 pm

I was already counting Sunday as an S day of course, I was thinking more about Good Friday and Easter Monday.
I CAN do this.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm sorry, I misunderstood.

We never celebrated those days when I was a kid. If I got off work for the holiday, I'd consider it an S. I don't, so... I don't.

If I were part of a tradition that was a big part of my traditional celebration, I would. For me, a lot of where I come from is "Did I grow up celebrating this, or do I get a day off for this?"
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:07 pm

My plan is to keep Friday and Monday as N days and happily S out on the weekend.

I have so liked that I can discuss favorite Easter treats without feeling uneasy and "undeserving." I don't eat that stuff every day. It's a treat and will be much enjoyed :)

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:07 am

The Monday after Easter has never been a "treat" day here (and I'm Christian--definitely celebrating the resurrection!). The main celebration is Sunday for us. Friday has always been more of a sober/reflective day, so not a big one for sweets for us. So for me, it's mainly some different treats on Sunday but otherwise a normal S-day :-). Which reminds me that I still need to do something for the kids. They FINALLY decided they are old enough not to do an Easter Egg Hunt (they are 18 and 20 this year, LOL!), but I still want to do something special!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:27 am

Thanks for the replies, I definitely needed to muse on this for a minute and posing the question helped me think it over.

I've decided to take Monday as an S day because I am off work on that day and so is my husband, so it does feel a bit special. Today however my husband has to work, and my routine isn't really affected so I'll use today as an N day.
I CAN do this.

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:41 am

Skycat wrote:Thanks for the replies, I definitely needed to muse on this for a minute and posing the question helped me think it over.

I've decided to take Monday as an S day because I am off work on that day and so is my husband, so it does feel a bit special. Today however my husband has to work, and my routine isn't really affected so I'll use today as an N day.
I hope you had a lovely day with your hubby--how nice you could share that together :-)
Respect Moderation

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 am

Thanks, Merry it was nice. We actually work in different countries and often the bank holidays don't match up so it's nice to get a long weekend when we can. We live close to the border so it's not as bad as it sounds :D
I CAN do this.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:44 am

Skycat wrote:Thanks, Merry it was nice. We actually work in different countries and often the bank holidays don't match up so it's nice to get a long weekend when we can. We live close to the border so it's not as bad as it sounds :D
Wow! That's really interesting!
Respect Moderation