Daily modifications. What are your thoughts?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

babybird

Daily modifications. What are your thoughts?

Post by babybird » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi guys. Having done No S on and off since November I'm still to loose weight. I haven't yet lost a single pound. I don't have much to loose, approx 14 pounds to be in a healthy weight range and for those of you who have followed me I struggle with emotional eating. It's a working progress.....

Vanilla no S doesn't work for me as when I crave sweets the weekend seems too far off.i need to eat sweets to banish the craving. The mods I would like to introduce includes eating 3 meals a day - 7 days a week but...
1) Having a small portion of any sweet directly after one daily meal. It has to be pre- planned and I can't just choose whilst eating. The quantity I'm going to have had to be decided This should help
With the emotional eating aspect as i only ever binge on sweet foods. The weekend seems to far away so I give in. If I say I am allowed a sweet snack then I can hold off binging until the dessert after the one main meal. By then the 'moment' will have passed.

2) with every meal to eat 2 small portions of fruit or veg on the same plate as my meal. Thus naturally reducing my meal portion size with calorific food.
Recovering from a 26 year binge eating disorder

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:50 pm

I believe there is a member that has a very small sweet every day as a mod and that seems to work for that person. FWIW, a Lindt chocolate truffle has about 95 calories. If that's enough to keep you from a binge, yes the caloric trade-off would work. While not mods biggest fan meeself, I do think that if one can have an incredibly hard and fast boundary, then it can work.

As far as fruits and veggies? That's so common I hardly call it a mod, but I think it's a great principle. I think there are people on this list who habitually cover half their plates in fruits and veggies for meals. And you can't go wrong doing it!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Baby bird, I love the idea of your mods! I might steal them for myself! It's the sweets that keep from succeeding, too.

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:28 am

My own mod is inspired by (by that I mean stolen from) someone else on this board, I can't remember who or I would give them credit.
It's simply FAT: Fruit at Any Time, I don't always take advantage of this, there are days I don't need to but it solves the problem of both snacking and sweets in a way that I don't believe will be have a negative effect on my weight. Some fruits I find sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth but not all.

Have you thought about something like sugarfree candy? I have some sugarfree worthers originals, they are only about 6 calories each but they taste as sweet as the regular ones, or something like tic-tacs, the strawberry ones are very sweet.

Another way I've found to avoid binges is by limiting variety. I like mini chocolate bars, now I only have them on S days but I was having them twice a day every day. But I found when I had more than one type in I would be tempted to have one of each but if I only have one type, I'm less tempted to have two.
I CAN do this.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 am

babybird - I think your mods are a wonderful idea! I follow NoS with the mod of any food, three meals, seven days a week, with daily weigh-ins. Some days (namely Easter Sunday yesterday!!!), the three meals are mostly sweets. I had tried Vanilla NoS in the past, and it wasn't until I modified it that I was able to achieve my goals. Making the plan work for you based on your personal likes, dislikes, and preferences is a sure track to success! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

noni

Post by noni » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:50 pm

I do a similar mod to Lifeisablessing: 2-3 meals all 7 days, and a small sweet on N-days, after a meal. This has kept me from going overboard with sweets on S-days, something I couldn't (or wouldn't) control with Vanilla. I do eat more sweets on S-days, because I usually bake one or two things, but now I'm not shoving all I can into my mouth before the start of N-days; I know I can have a small serving those days, too.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:33 pm

You've given it a good shot. It's worth a try. Some people try and it works, or find they figure out how to make Vanilla work.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:57 pm

I've been having a shot glass of chocolate chips after dinner sometimes. Chocolate is not my favorite sweet but I do like it and I like to fancy it's good for me :) I personally hope not to do other things because I think it would take more focus to stop at a bit.