Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aaliyah's Check-In

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Aaliyah's Check-In Reply with quote

Hi guys. Just made my account yesterday!

I'm ashamed to say, I'm 313.8 lbs, as of Friday morning. This is after lots of gaining and losing. I'll be 21 in July and I've been gaining and losing weight via diets at various levels of difficulty (and safety) since I hit 270 lbs at 13 years old. My low is 210. Though my current weight at 314 is lower than my high of 320 lbs, it is not low for my recent weight fluctuations and efforts.

I just spent a week trying to re-nourish myself to help my hunger cues, by the rules of http://www.eatlikeanormalperson.com/
Don't get me wrong, it's helped a lot, and I love this web site; the issue is I overthink everything too much to follow it on it's own. The web site mentioned the No S diet and people's successes with it, and I thought well, these seem to really align with each other. So I'm hoping to use No S for a better round of portion sizing, and continue to use that web site I linked in to help me wrap my head on what foods can make filling mostly nourishing meals without being just a plate of greens and tears.

I hope to become an active user of this web-site, and a year from now be approaching college graduation with a good chunk of weight loss (though obviously not all of it) and a testimonial to contribute to your stories!
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your expected graduation next year. Take NoS as a long term project and not a quick loss solution. A lot of more knowledgeable people on here will give you great advice. It's more like a marathon and not a sprint. Welcome.
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the welcome! Smile
noni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No S is a sane and normal way to eat forever. I wish you well on it!
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I'm looking forward to Monday if only to start this properly.
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously today was an S Day. Finishing it off with a candy bar and a soda.

Before someone comments on that, I'd like to also say that on S Days in the future I intend to allow just the three S-es. Snacks (fruit, as outlined as a good snack in the eatlikeanormalperson think I found), sweets (maybe some sugary drinks with my meals, a couple of servings of any sweets I've had offered to me throughout the week, or go out of my way to get a dessert at the end of an S Day should nothing have come up throughout it, if I want it and can afford it), and seconds (not thirds and fourths, as I have been guilty of eating in the past- SECONDS. A second plate. That's it.)

These restrictions in use of the S days may wiggle a bit due to social circumstance on a particular S day, or if I have a NWS day it'll probably be special enough to be lax on all the rules, so I'm not going to limit myself on say my 21st birthday or that stretch of week between Christmas and New Year where my family's constantly celebrating, but I'll do my best not to make myself sick either.

You might say, if you really often take 3rds and 4ths, it's no wonder you're fat! And yeah, nowadays, with lots of mental health issues and a shaky BED suggestion from my counselor, that's probably behind the extreme gain, but when I was 270 lbs at 12 years old there was never enough for more than seconds, and I rarely wanted it. There was just big portions, lots of soda, and lots of sweets. When I first lost to 210 lbs, I think I was unconsciously following many of the principles of No S- Sweets were the only thing off the table throughout the week, with a cheat allowed on Saturday, and I had really small portions throughout the week. My main issue was I wasn't looking at plate sizes or volume amounts, I was counting calories- and since I hadn't researched the area very deeply, I was often undereating by that method. So I plateaued, I ballooned up, and despite many continued efforts to lose it I've never once felt like I've eaten normally. It's what attracted me to the eatlikeanormalperson web site, and it's what attracts me to the system of moderation inherent in the No S Diet. I hope this works out well for me. It doesn't have to work quickly, I'd just like to see it working.
I might wait 2 weeks for my first weigh in after that really bad couple of S days, but I will try to update on my weight on Saturdays usually.
Larkspur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Looking forward to hearing about your first days!

My first few days, I focused more on no snacks and no sweets and gave myself a little room with seconds, because I was worried about making it between meals. And sure enough, 10 am and 4 pm were really hard, because I was used to eating at those times and my body did the hormonal dance preparing for food that never arrived, and man was it confused and upset! What? Where's my SNACK????

I use juice with seltzer, coffee with cream and sugar, or hot cocoa made with whole milk to get me through those times. It has gotten much easier though it can still be a little hairy depending. I didn't lose anything much for about two weeks and then four or five pounds came off in the next couple of weeks.

Look forward to hearing about how it goes for you!
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the support! Very Happy
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday SUCCESS

B- Turkey sausage, egg, and cheese bagel sandwich and coffee

L- Poptarts

D- Subway and orange juice

I think the subway may have gone over what would really fit comfortably on a plate- next time I'll get less- but I don't think that's enough of a detail to mark today as a failure. Just a note for future uses of Subway.
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should cut juice in the future as well? I just realized juice might count as a sweets S.
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same frame as juices, should chocolate milk/whole milk be counted as an S?
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to go ahead and count all drinks that arent black coffee, water, or tea as S-es
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday SUCCESS

B-Bagel and chocolate milk (before I decided the milk would count as an S)

L- Poptarts and tea(I swear I dont do poptarts EVERY DAY I just happened to get cornered by my colleges christian organization and given free poptarts the past couple of days)

D- Sweet and sour chicken with fruit mixed in the sauce, lo mein noodles, and cauliflower.
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losingthediets wrote:
Maybe I should cut juice in the future as well? I just realized juice might count as a sweets S.

I don't count orange juice with breakfast as an S, it's usually in the 5-6 ounce size. No added sugar. If people can eat a grapefruit with sugar added, I don't see the problem with fresh natural juices with a meal. If I'm honest with my eSSes of the past, fruit has never been the culprit.
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosonfirst wrote:

I don't count orange juice with breakfast as an S, it's usually in the 5-6 ounce size. No added sugar. If people can eat a grapefruit with sugar added, I don't see the problem with fresh natural juices with a meal. If I'm honest with my eSSes of the past, fruit has never been the culprit.

That's good to know! I might take a glass of juice with breakfast here and there then. My only issue is worrying personally I'll take "juice isn't an S" to an extreme and be like "THAT'S ALL I CAN HAVE SO I'LL HAVE A TON OF IT." But a single glass with a meal makes sense, and I think would be sustainable since I didn't drink much juice before this.
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but I already have my first

FAILURE

My hunger pains and headache-y symptoms of doing this so fast (which I didn't really expect because I didn't realize it WOULD be such a difference, I usually only get these symptoms on diets I super restrict myself on), plus class stress, then going to the financial aid office and getting my brain fried- let's just say I came into the office this afternoon, and our ads saleswoman had Easter eggs EVERYWHERE filled with actual candy to hunt and treat ourselves with. I immediately cracked and started to play, gathering a handful of bite-sized candies and Snacking my way through Sweets to relieve my headache, instead of storing them in my backpack for the weekend like I said I would.
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also just really kinda sucks because I had a bunch of other opportunities to break throughout today, free donuts offered after breakfast, classmates bringing food to class they offered because they decided they no longer wanted it- and a bunch of tiny bite-size candies broke me.
Larkspur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're learning, right? Not broken. Learning new things takes time and in this case, you have to persuade your body you can feel good on a different eating schedule. It's a perfectly reasonable, viable schedule, but your body may not see it that way at the beginning. I know mine didn't.

I am the mom of a college age daughter, and I have to admit that, mom like, I'm worried that you are not making enough space for nice meals that are social and tasty. We NoSers have only three meals, so those meals have to be satisfying, or I don't think this works so well. What do you think?
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really dinner is the only meal I can make extra space for and meet friends for. I appreciate the concern and I agree, but its just not gonna happen the way my schedule is, and when I go home, its unlikely to because of our finances and my parents eating schedules. I will keep that in mind so that I jump on the chance whenever I can, however- I will admit that I'm introverted and I get really uncomfortable being seen in general at my weight, much less being seen eating, so there probably is some level I could improve on that social aspect. I tend to forget that part.
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive also done pretty bad the rest of the week since, which is why I havent been around. Hoping to recover on Monday
NoelFigart

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're having a rough time. I'm sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Im just ashamed my weights gotten as far as it is. I wish I could hide somewhere for a few months and focus on nothing but changing habits and losing the weight, but of course thats not how life works. Hopefully summer vacation will serve as the closest thing I can muster, but of course Monday Im making my renewed effort to get started, not waiting for summer vacation
NoelFigart

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a weight problem can be quite a visible thing, I am going to say here and now, that there are plenty of things one can do that DON'T show that would be significantly more deserving of shame than overeating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Skycat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just wanted to stop by and offer my support. You CAN do this, and we're all here and understand how much you want to succeed and we're willing you on. I hope you stick around and continue posting.

There's a really great thread, in the 'sticky of stickies' I think it's called over on the general discussion board. I highly recommend reading it, it's called something like motivational phrases or catch phrases and it's awesome.

For my tuppence-worth (or two cents worth depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on) I would remind you that weight is not a moral issue and your weight problem does not make you a lesser person. Hold your head up high when you go out in the world because, yes, your weight is an issue but you know that you are taking steps to deal with it. That makes you strong, not weak
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys! It's nice to have people acknowledge my feelings on that kind of thing. It helps a lot to feel not alone or stupid.

Today is a SUCCESS but I think with a bit too much calorie-filled tea (I had some form of it with every meal)

B- a blueberry muffin
L- a mozarella and tomato sandwich
D- chicken fingers and curly fries
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messed up. I was doing great but my boss left a bag of jelly beans open on the desk facing me and I broke. At least it didnt result in a full binge like last time. I ate too many but I still feel icky for last week.

I was thinking of a 3 bite mod- for things others share with me. Like if I can take 3 bites or less and stop I can accept an offer
Skycat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on not having a binge either on or following the jellybeans. There's a great line, possibly coined by Reinhard which goes something like this.
If you dented your bumper, you wouldn't go ahead and crash the car into a wall'
You dented the bumper but avoided crashing the car, that's great.

My suggestion would be to try to stick with vanilla No S. You might have some failures, like with the jelly beans but if you do then

Mark it and move on.

Come on here, 'fess up, tell us all about it and then put it behind you and try again next time. With practice you might surprise yourself with how often you can turn down shared treats, but with the mod you will automatically have those 3 bites every time, you're denying yourself the opportunity to practice saying no and get better at it.

I recommend looking at the phases of No S thread in the sticky of stickies, you'll see how actually you're doing fine, we've all been there.
Losingthediets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I am going to stick with Vanilla No S. It'll be hard but youre right, I have to learn to say no. Thank you for the encouragement (and the understanding on the jelly beans haha).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: