Ready to make changes

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

carlaD

Ready to make changes

Post by carlaD » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Hello
There is so much diet information on the web and in the library!!!! It seems like everyone has an opinion about what is healthy and what is not. It is hard to choose what to believe. This diet is almost like a breath of fresh air because you don't really have to believe anything. You just have to stop eating so much. I don't know that not snacking or having sweets everyday will be easy, but it makes sense. I haven't been overweight all my life ...maybe the last 10 years or so. (I am 40). I definitely don't look or feel my best and I really want to make some changes...without changing my entire life.

What are the biggest struggles for you?

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:59 am

Welcome, Carla!

No-S really is a breath of fresh air! If you haven't read the book yet, I highly recommend it. It helps me keep going when I'm tempted to change course. I've been doing No-S for over a year, so most of the time I don't have something that daily tempts me to go off-plan--for the most part, I feel No-S has given me a sense of self-control that I didn't have before. My S-days still don't look that controlled though. Maybe someday they will! Sometimes I long for a faster way to lose weight, but I didn't put this weight on overnight and won't take it off overnight. When I struggle with that, I try to remember that No-S has given me so many tools for maintenance (because I've done the yo-yo diet too many times in the past).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:30 pm

No one is promising that this or any eating behavior change will be easy. Changing habits isn't usually easy. But it's a lot easier than living on a calorie-controlled or elimination diet for most people.

But you can't know if it will be an improvement if you don't give it a good faith effort for a few months at least.

I can say with confidence that this is probably your best bet. You sound like you've never been on a diet. You are so lucky! Surrender to this and save yourself a lot of heartache, not to mention the regain of even more weight within two years that is so common among dieters.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/Dieti ... chers-7832
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Biggest struggles-- Hmm.

1. Making it between meals was VERY hard at first. It's easier now but not easy. Schedules are hard to control-- I've gone 7 hours between meals, which is not my natural bent, I assure you!

2. The fact that it's a gradual trimming of calories versus a dramatic reduction. This is good, I think-- you're eating the way you mean to go on-- as in, this is kind of maintenance eating and you're going to (hopefully) do it always just the way you're doing it now. But the downside of that is that if you are sedentary by choice or necessity, or if you go too long between meals and eat a big rich plate of food, you're going to lose at a snail pace. And if you get discouraged by that you might quit. Or even if you don't quit, you could fail to lose weight because you're fudging too often. That's what I'm worried about-- the latter. I've lost just under a pound a week so far. I'm 50 and kind of not super worried about my hotness factor at this point, so I'm not in a hurry, but I can see me sliding off without really meaning to. Let's hope not!

noni

Post by noni » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 am

Larkspur wrote: I've lost just under a pound a week so far. I'm 50 and kind of not super worried about my hotness factor at this point, so I'm not in a hurry, but I can see me sliding off without really meaning to. Let's hope not!
Lol, Larkspur! I looked at my bulging belly this morning, and thought, "Who cares...it's almost cute." Well, almost, almost.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Oh, my biggest struggles before No S were bingeing on mostly sweets, and giving up when it wasn't easy, thinking I should never have a desire to eat when it wasn't a good idea to eat, or that I was going to become an intuitive eater. Or that one slip meant I was a total failure. Getting over the thinking problems was essential to sticking with the plan.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Having reasons to eating moderately even without weight loss is also extremely useful to stick with the plan during plateaus. Not losing regularly or fast is more of a reason to calmly adjust plates than throw in the towel.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon May 01, 2017 11:05 pm

noni wrote:
Larkspur wrote: I've lost just under a pound a week so far. I'm 50 and kind of not super worried about my hotness factor at this point, so I'm not in a hurry, but I can see me sliding off without really meaning to. Let's hope not!
Lol, Larkspur! I looked at my bulging belly this morning, and thought, "Who cares...it's almost cute." Well, almost, almost.
You guys are cracking me up!!! :lol:

My biggest struggle with No S is definitley going all through the week without sweets. I LOVE my sweets!

carlaD

Post by carlaD » Tue May 02, 2017 1:07 am

oolala53 wrote:Having reasons to eating moderately even without weight loss is also extremely useful to stick with the plan during plateaus. Not losing regularly or fast is more of a reason to calmly adjust plates than throw in the towel.
Very wise words. I must remember them as I journey into the land of No S
Starting at a size 12/14 (April 2017)
Goal is a size 6/8
Currently: