Samurai Gourmet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Shuggernaut

Samurai Gourmet

Post by Shuggernaut » Tue May 02, 2017 1:21 pm

I recently "binged" on the Netflix original comedy-drama, Samurai Gourmet, and thought it would be worth mentioning here. It's a wonderful, heartfelt show, about a 60-year-old retiree, wandering the city, visiting different restaurants, and occasionally imagining how an ancient Samurai would have dealt with mundane-but-difficult situations. Or, as IMDb states, "A retired man searches for delectable delights to satisfy his stomach and his inner samurai's soul."

The scenes in which the dishes are prepared are practically guaranteed to make you hungry. Although this might not initially sound helpful in terms of dieting, I've found that the performances of Naoto Takenaka as he eats have actually helped me to more fully experience and enjoy the food I eat, as well. This increased mindfulness during the act of eating has, in turn, resulted in my needing less food to feel completely satisfied. Being aware of every bite, fully experiencing the appearance of the food, its taste, smell, texture, sound... I have found myself slowing down, enjoying more, and wanting less.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 pm

That's an aspect of slim cultures not emphasized much in the book, but common.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed May 03, 2017 5:45 am

Interesting, I should tell my son about it!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation