The variability of sledge hammers

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Kevin

The variability of sledge hammers

Post by Kevin » Tue May 03, 2005 12:06 pm

I was in Home Depot yesterday. On the tool rack were hammers purported to be 10 pounders. The heads bore no weight mark. They were markedly bigger than my own 10 pounder. I picked one up - I estimate it weighed 16 pounds.

Just to be sure, I went home and weighed myself with and without my (much smaller) hammer - the difference was about 11 pounds.

I tell you this to warn you that if you haven't weighed your hammer, you might be swinging a much bigger stick than you intended. This could be of particular importance to the beginner.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 03, 2005 1:19 pm

Wow. That is disturbing. Another good reason to buy your sledgehammer here:

http://shovelglove.com/sledgestore/

You can bet Amazon doesn't fool around with the weight since shipping costs by weight. I knew there was an upside to having to pay for shipping.