Hello I'm new

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Buttercup

Hello I'm new

Post by Buttercup » Thu May 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and new to the idea of no S - sort of: a couple of weeks ago, I realised that snacking is the main reason I am unable to lose weight, and I found this website in my search for info on 'no snack' diets.

As it says on here, there is a lot of money to be made from snacks, and most diets gleefully advocate healthy snacks. I think they just train your brain to want instant gratification - a healthy snack is 'always allowable'; but the hardest bit of dieting is the psychology and the discipline for me... so that's what I want to tackle.

So - having been mostly snack free for a couple of weeks, I am now ready to try the full no S experience...

I am glad I found this place - I agree with everything I have read so far, and am looking forward to learning more!

ps - if there is a specific introductions page (I couldn't see one) please move me there!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu May 04, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi Buttercup and welcome!😊 I hope you get on well with NoS. I have been following it since last October and have finally put an end to years of yoyo dieting. This forum is generally a very supportive and friendly place, any questions just ask, someone out there will be able to help!
My main advice in the early days is to focus on getting the habits down, and not to worry too much about weight loss. Once you are secure in your NoS habits the rest will follow! Good luck.
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri May 05, 2017 6:07 am

Welcome, Buttercup! Congratulations on having a couple of being mostly snack-free! I hope your dive into full-on No-S goes well. Post questions and struggles as they come up :) .
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Buttercup

Post by Buttercup » Fri May 05, 2017 10:35 am

Thank you Bluebell and Merry for the welcome! :)

My main aim is to change my way of thinking about food; I am so sick of thinking about it all the time! I am so obsessed with it - what I can/can't eat, how much is OK, how deprived/greedy I am: I never stopped to think that the WHEN could be more important than the what!

But it is very hard to stop thinking about the weight loss as well, as that definitely is my other goal. I am prepared to be more patient and play the long game though :)

Already I am enjoying my food more and thinking about it less, and it's a relief. Don't want to get too complacent though - I am sure I will have days when I get intense urges to eat something between meals, and won't be in a strong frame of mind. I guess I will post that question elsewhere, if I can't find it in the forum.

thanks again :)

Silk001

Post by Silk001 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:34 am

Welcome, Buttercup! I'm new here. Today is Day 5 for me. I've never been a huge snacker except once a day in the late afternoon. But so far this week, I've been eating enough at lunch and eating a little later lunch, both which have helped to tide me over to dinner. Best of luck to you!!
Silk001

Age 42
Mom to 3 kids -- ages 12, 10, 4
BMI 24.9
Current weight 164
Started No S on 5.1.17
Would like to lose 10-15 pounds

Buttercup

Post by Buttercup » Fri May 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Silk001 - a fellow new starter - good luck to you too :)

Pre no S, I usually have had breakfast, eaten all my 'emergency' snacks before lunch even arrives (because there they are, looking at me funny), and had my actual lunch, all before 12:30...

Not having the snacks there, I am not obsessing about them, and I find it easier to delay lunch - I am actually LESS hungry without the snacks... who'd have thought that?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:46 pm

No one can promise anything. But the fact is that many millions of people have actually kept weight and health in check for generations using principles No S is based on. NO diet can compete with that. Given the incidence of obesity in those cultures, it looks like something different is needed for well under 10%. You can't find out if you actually need something radically different until you truly follow the plan and make your own adjustments over time. No one can say how long that will take. Just keep going.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)