Ramy's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ramy

Ramy's Daily Check In

Post by Ramy » Tue May 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Newbie here!

Not really new because I did No S for a few weeks last year but back to it now and this is my first post. Hoping for a daily or weekly check in for myself to stay accountable (and lay things out there!).

Last year I would lose weight during the week but gain it back plus more on the weekends because I ate everything in my house on those days. My stomach was a mess and I kept having to replace my 5 year old's snacks! This time around I'm hoping to use the SOMETIMES S as well.

Despite knowing better, I just finished Whole 30. My eating was out of control (I am a grazer) and felt like a I needed something drastic. I lost 9 lbs in the first 9 days and was hangry for 30 days. My running was terrible. The only good thing about it was that I lost all desire to eat because I'm not a big meat eater and was so tired to the compliant foods (and I love to eat so this is saying something!!). In the 3 days after Whole 30 I've gained back 6 of the 9 lbs.

Goals here are
1. To lose weight (25 lbs)
2. To get eating under control, eat like a normal person and to STOP dieting.

Today is Day 1! My meals are always pretty healthy but my snacking is out of control. I'm at work right now so am well in control but it's the 5-7 pm hour that gets me....

Thanks for reading. Send me strength (and if you're religious, prayers, because I would probably use them!!) :)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue May 02, 2017 7:06 pm

ramy, welcome! :)
those are nice goals and you are in the right place to get support to achieve them!
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Wed May 03, 2017 12:20 am

Kaalii, thank you!

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Wed May 03, 2017 12:48 am

Day 1= Success!

I took my son out after work to ride his scooter and when we got back it was dinner. :) I also got about a 2 mile walk out of it! Love incidental exercise.

Tuesday is my upper body and core day so got that done as well.

Silk001

Post by Silk001 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:32 pm

I'm new here too and am planning to start a checkin thread. Congrats on a good Day 1!

I wanted to reply because I did 2 Whole 30s last year -- one in January and one in July! I lost 9 pounds and somehow have managed to keep those nine pounds off, but I would like to lose another 10. And I just can't continue to do the Whole 30 strict eating forever! Just not sustainable for me. Anyway, let's hope we can both have some success!! :D
Silk001

Age 42
Mom to 3 kids -- ages 12, 10, 4
BMI 24.9
Current weight 164
Started No S on 5.1.17
Would like to lose 10-15 pounds

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Thu May 04, 2017 12:11 am

Silk001,

Amazing on the 2 whole 30s! I'm not a big meat eater and really struggled with so much animal protein. It did make me think about my grazing (as does No S) but didn't help my arthritis. It's not sustainable for me either, and my mileage time was terrible- I did not run well at all and have experienced the "tiger blood".

Good luck to you with No S!

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Thu May 04, 2017 12:16 am

Day 2- red
Boo.

Did so well, took my son out on his bike after work to be able to turn during my big snack time. But then as we were eating my husband came home with a giant baguette. And I ate a giant piece! It wasn't planned nor really part of my meal so it's a red.

He also came home with 2 giant chocolate chip cookies and I'm patting myself on the back for putting them straight in the freezer. :)

Got in a 3 mile run today and felt fantastic- otherwise a great day!

B: protein drink and pear
L: Apple and peanut butter, cheese, carrots and hummus
D: cannelini beans with mushrooms, broccoli and pesto (and the baguette!)

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Fri May 05, 2017 12:28 am

Day 3- success

Busy day at work and walked at lunch so no time to think about snacking! Home late so time to start cooking dinner! I did want a sweet after dinner but made do with a cup of decaf.

There is a 100% chance of rain for most of the morning tomorrow so I'll miss my lunchtime run. A friend gave me her treadmill and I plan to run 3 miles on it in the morning. Haven't done a lot on it- I don't know why I'm so resistant to keep running on it.

Tomorrow will be rough- I always want to indulge after work on Fridays.

B: protein shake
L: leftover beans, veggies, pesto with cheese and an apple
D: veggie burger, salad, piece of baguette

Silk001

Post by Silk001 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:36 am

Remy-- I noticed some people start their S days on Friday evening. I don't think I will at this point but maybe in the future. Sorry on the baguette... that would be tough to resist.
Silk001

Age 42
Mom to 3 kids -- ages 12, 10, 4
BMI 24.9
Current weight 164
Started No S on 5.1.17
Would like to lose 10-15 pounds

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Fri May 05, 2017 6:05 am

As Silk001 mentioned, starting S days on Friday evening is quite a popular mod. My thinking is that if I need to do this, which would probably be if we have some kind of social event on a Friday evening, then I will end the Sunday S day earlier.
So if I start my Friday S evening at 7pm then I start N again at 7pm on a Sunday.

My advice would be to try to do vanilla NO S for a least a couple of weeks. You'll get a far better feeling of accomplishment if you successfully resist on Friday evening, than if you go straight for the mod and duck the problem.
I CAN do this.

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Fri May 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Silk001 and skycat- thanks!

I think if I started Friday night I would likely just start bingeing. I go to spin Saturday morning and that helps (I don't want my stomach to hurt!). I'm having a nice glass of wine with dinner so that seems like a bit of a treat.

Tomorrow I have my niece's first communion so will likely enjoy a nice piece of cake and some good cheese and crackers. That thought keeps me going!

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Fri May 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Day 4- success!

Ran 3 miles on my treadmill this morning (too much rain to run outside). I have a 5k next week so was glad to get in some speed work.

B: protein shake
L: leftover beans and veg over salad, apple, Greek yogurt
D: eggs, salad, glass of wine!

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Sat May 06, 2017 5:45 am

"I'm having a nice glass of wine with dinner so that seems like a bit of a treat."

YUP - I have to admit that a glass of wine in the evening helps so much with resisting the temptation of sweets.
I CAN do this.

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Mon May 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Survived my S days and now back on the week.

We were really busy Saturday- I had to take my son for bloodwork and then to my brother's for first communion. My son wanted to swim at the party so I was busy supervising and didn't eat very much. Sunday, I was exhausted and returned to my bad grazing habits- small meals but ate about 1/2 bag of dark chocolate over the course of the day. I took the rest of the bag last night and hid it in the refrigerator.

I'm tired today with a headache- my head and stomach don't like the grazing. I also skipped my run yesterday which means I'm more tired than usual. Planning some yoga tonight and hoping I can get in a lunch time walk (although my schedule is tight so I don't know if I'm going to get more than 10 minutes today for lunch!)

Back on track with N days. I'm not so interested in food this morning but will need to make sure I stay with it after work- that's my difficult time. If I can get past the 4-6 pm time, I'm usually fine.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Mon May 08, 2017 12:25 pm

I hear you. I like S days, but physically I feel like they don't agree with me that well. Not sure what to do about that. I find 4-6 the hardest time too. I usually do a coffee with creamer or a juice and seltzer to get me through.

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Tue May 09, 2017 12:36 am

Thanks, Larkspur! I'm like the person who is lactose intolerant but eats ice cream and complains about it! I definitely don't feel well when I overdo it but it doesn't seem to stop me.

I failed the 4-6 pm test today- a handful of pretzel goldfish got me. I need to get more seltzer/ that's a good idea.

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Tue May 09, 2017 12:46 am

Day 5: failure

B: smoothie, pear
L: salad with beans, melon, cheese
D: ham and cheese sandwich, salad

Ate a handful of pretzel goldfish when I got home, not good. In the past I would have kept snacking, the pretzels would have been followed by a handful of peanuts and then some cheese and I'd be full by dinner but eat anyway since I'm eating with my family. So even though it's a red day, I feel like it was an improvement- no S kept me from throwing in the towel.

We were supposed to have tacos today but I just didn't want that so I made my own sandwich- I made bread yesterday and it looked so good! Since I'm not supposed to be snacking I'm becoming a little too particular with meals. ( Which is not good since I have a family to feed! )

Exercise today: barre

Need to pull it back together for tomorrow.

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Wed May 10, 2017 12:24 am

Day 6- failure again!

Offered a cupcake at work this afternoon and I didn't even hesitate! Im working on a project at work for someone that is overdue (that person's tardiness has become my emergency which is irritating). My patients were rescheduled and I basically spent the day doing data entry, which was mind numbingly boring. If I had a drawer full of snacks I would have eaten them all!

(Reminds me how I have a long way to go with normal eating .)

So when someone came by to offer me a cupcake, I could have hugged her and gladly accepted. I was able to move on and did not snack or cave the rest of the day. Meals are kind of boring this week- hubby is a big meat eater but after whole 30 I don't want to look at it anymore!

B: smoothie
L: salad with beans, melon, cheese
Cupcake!
D: salad with beans, toast
Drank decaf at night to keep me out of the cookies

I have to bake cookies tomorrow for a coworker. That's going to be tough!

Exercise: barre

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Wed May 10, 2017 6:30 am

Well done on (metaphorically) not crashing the car, after the cupcake.

My friendly advice (unasked for as it is so please fell free to ignore it) is to consider who effective those cookies will be in solving any problems, they will not fix your problems at work and they will not take away any of life's stresses. Posting a success will feel much better than eating a cookie!! Good luck
I CAN do this.

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 am

Thnske, Skycat! I know you're right but in the moment I don't seem to care. In a bad stretch this week and need to really work on this!

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Thu May 11, 2017 9:58 am

I didn't do my daily check in yesterday because I was tired and demoralized by writing that I had another red day. It's been a week of solid reds this week! I considered abandoning the ship but I do really believe in this.

Some of my back story to put out there: I've never been a really small person. By 12 I weighed 160 and wore a size 10 shoe to the dismay of my very thin mother. Looking back I don't think I was really overweight- I was a competitive swimmer and just big. I stopped swimming end of high school and exercising and gained a ton of weight in college- weighed around 230 in my 20s. I lost about 80 lbs in 2002-2004 on a diet my gynecologist gave me to help with my terrible period. I started running then also, went to grad school and changed careers. I gained back some weight once in my internship year and my first couple of years of work. Baby in 2012, I turned 40 in 2013 and even though I lost the baby weight nothing went back to where it was before. I don't binge but I would and have eaten all day if I can. My stomach doesn't tolerate it, though.

I am a registered dietitian and spend my entire day talking about food. (I primarily work in weight management). I do feel a lot of internal pressure to practice what I preach. I don't feel a huge pressure to lose a lot of weight, oddly, probably because my patients see me as thin (most of them have 100+ lbs to lose).

So if you're still reading this super long post, thanks. I may still be posting failures but I'm still going to keep trying. I may try to rework this in babysteps with adding fruit between meals. My son always wants a snack after daycare and since it's 5:00 pm when we get home I typically give him fruit. I should just sit down and eat the same thing, or some vegetables!

Wednesday:
B: smoothie
L: 1/2 pb sandwich, yogurt, pear, carrots
Chocolate
D: tortellini with pesto

3 mile run at lunch and barre

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Thu May 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi, I just want to give you a big hug and say, that I'm really cheering you on to stick with it and I'm glad you're still posting. Are the failures coming from any place in particular? From work, or from home? Is it because you're bored, hungry or stressed or out of habit?

I've discovered that sometimes I eat sweets just because I want a taste in my mouth, it's like I get bored of the taste of my own saliva and I want to taste something strong. (I'm sure that sounds strange) So I chew strong mint gum or even better, brush my teeth if I'm at home or have a fruit flavoured tea.

If it's possible to identify the trigger you can find the solution. I think fruit is a great idea. It could be the solution to eating at that time. I actually use exactly the same mod - fruit at any time.
I CAN do this.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu May 11, 2017 1:14 pm

I enjoyed reading a bit about your background. That must put a special spin on things, being a food-and-health professional. I am deeply impressed by your exercise. I hope you don't get discouraged and that you keep posting. Looking at your menus, it looks like you're doing well to me, and I am not feeling like a poster child myself, so I am hesitant to offer suggestions. We just have to take this from one meal to the next, right? Onward!

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 am

Skycat, thank you! So kind! I've thought about my triggers for a long time. Part of it is work- I think in any job where people tell you their tales of woe all day there is some angst leftover. Before I had a child, I used to go to yoga or if it was late would come home and immediately eat dinner. Now I find myself hiding in the pantry with a cookie (because I'm not going to give him a cookie before dinner!). The other part is weird- it doesn't matter what it is- it's more the action of eating is soothing- even though I might not need soothing. I've been able to control it before so I know I can do it....about 5 months I seem to lose all resolve. Just need to keep going.

Larkspur, thank you! It is difficult at times to tell people to do things I know I'm not doing myself but should be! Thanks for the kudos on my exercise. Exercise has always been one of my true loves and probably the only thing keeping me healthy in terms of heart, diabetes, etc. I still am not back to where I was activity wise since I had my son and I miss it- but keep telling myself once he's older I will be able to do more. And thank you for the kind words on my meals. I probably would be thinner if I didn't snack ever- one of my crazy compulsions that carries over from work is that I have to eat a fruit/ veg with every meal. Unfortunately that leaves lots of junk between meals (that I'm not supposed to be eating.) but you are correct/ onward!!

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Fri May 12, 2017 1:06 am

Thursday- red again

Today was just a weird day. I haven't filled my allergy meds and woke up out of sorts. I took my smoothie to work but then was double booked with patients through lunch. Reps brought lunch (sushi- my favorite) but I didn't really have time to eat. I grabbed a few pieces of fish and part of a roll between patients and then ended up eating part of my lunch on my way home while driving. I didn't feel like cooking and my hubby is away so reheated last night's tortellini for dinner. I then ate one of my son's cookies right out of the freezer. Not good.

After I ate the cookie my mouth got really itchy. I do have oral allergy syndrome which is worse when my allergies are bad- but it's usually eggplant, apples and cherries (which I still eat because it's just itchy- no anaphylaxis). But I've NEVER had a reaction with a cookie. (Homemade chocolate chip in case you're wondering!) I have an appointment with a new allergist at the end of the month. I really don't want to hear I can't eat cookies but it could be a blessing in disguise ? :)

Will run outside tomorrow at lunch and hopefully not turn into a giant hive. 5k Saturday! Friend of a friend has asked me to swim for her in a sprint tri so I need to get my butt to the pool- I'm too lazy to swim but need to get in so the poor girl doesn't come in dead last. I love swimming but it requires extra work whereas running I can just go out the door. Too bad I just can't exercise all day- the endorphins are so great that I don't eat!

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Fri May 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Friday- green, finally! My first green all week!

I immediately made a pot of coffee when I got home from work and that helped (plus it's chilly and rainy and I was cold).

B: smoothie, melon
L: beans with broccoli and mushrooms and pesto, cheese, pear
D: pizza, salad

Exercise: 3.5 mile run

Supposed to run a 5k in the morning but may skip it if it's pouring, I'll go to spinning instead, which I like- I just hate wasting the $20 I spent on the race.
I'm not super excited about the S day since I don't really feel like I 'earned" it after being in the red all week.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:55 am

Having a green Friday after a red week is quite a feat. You didn't let WTH get you!

May the fork be with you this weekend.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun May 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Hooray for a successful Friday.
Here's to a nice new green week! :mrgreen:
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Mon May 15, 2017 12:04 am

Thanks osoniye and oolala! I appreciate it. I'm planning a good week!

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Mon May 15, 2017 12:11 am

Weekend was well managed. We had torrential rain Saturday so I skipped my 5k and went to spinning. I really worked on mindfulness and managed to control eating. We went out for our anniversary dinner and while I was planning on dessert, I didn't have any because nothing was appealing!
Sat
English muffin and peanut butter
Cantaloupe
Cheese sandwich, carrots
Carrots and peanut butter
Out to dinner: cheese plate, salad, crab cakes, bread, wine

Ran this morning and also enjoyed a few Mother's Day treats- 1/2 donut mid morning and ice cream after dinner. But no craziness!
Eggs, toast, melon
1/2 donut
Leftover pizza, salad
Grilled chicken and vegetables
Ice cream

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Hope you are enjoying your meals!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)