Is saggy skin inevitable?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Merry

Is saggy skin inevitable?

Post by Merry » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:33 am

So, one of the things that initially got me thinking about losing fat vs. muscle was wondering if I have any choice about ending up with sagging skin (in my mind, it seems like the body should be able to adjust to that somehow!). And the most common suggestion as something that could help was exercise (and that losing too much muscle with weight loss was an issue for sagging skin). I do skin brushing, which some say can help & some say doesn't do anything about saggy skin. I like how I feel when I do it, so even if it's not helping that particular issue, I like how it stimulates the lymph system. I'm not sure how much of an issue it will be for me if I lose 50-60 lbs, but if there's something I can do along the way that would help minimize the issue, I'm all ears!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:04 am

according to what i know, slow and steady weight loss (and then permanent maintenance with the end of yo-yo dieting) is the best thing you are doing for your skin to minimize the sagging... this is nice to remember when you feel like the weight loss is slooooow... to remember that at least your skin has nice, gentle and optimal time to adapt withing the age and genetic parameters...

and moisturising and brushing the skin is for sure good for you in many ways...

it is hard to say after that longer period what sagging skin is from the weight loss and what comes from aging naturally, anyway...
i am also interested in this topic...

for a while i have been using homemade vitamin C serum for my face to address the wrinkles issues...but cant say that i have noticed anything... so, as i cant be bothered to do long daily beauty rituals, i just continue to take vitamin C orally and hope that it is slowing down the effect of aging on the skin... as well as other, more important, benefits...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:35 pm

This subject makes me laugh, because a year or two ago, sagging skin was not even on my radar. Then I lost anywhere from 7-13 lbs. since last July, and bang, I have some saggy looking skin around my legs(knees) and a little on upper arms. In my early 50's, I lost 56 lbs on mod. low-carb and kept most of it off and no extra skin anywhere. Now in my mid 60's, BANG! I got it. And to top it off, I've never googled what to do about it, but these darn ads suddenly appear on my sidebars, must be google has my age programmed in to say, give him a few saggy, crepe skin ads and see if we can reel him in.
Good luck with your skin brushing Merry, I may have to google that.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:23 pm

I lost about 20-25 lb in my early forties and I didn't have any issues. But I lost it slowly and did quite a bit of weight training. I think Whosonfirst is right that age is a factor-- isn't it always? I remind myself it is a privilege to grow older that not everyone gets to share.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Not to discourage you, but one of my friends who has NEVER been heavy and who is a pretty steady dancer (swing and other partner dances), so not sedentary, said that after she turned sixty, skin on many parts of her body sagged. And she remains tiny. It's possible that building muscle with resistance work could decrease that, but it would be somewhat a matter of luck how much of that would be necessary. What works like magic for some people has a lot smaller effect on others, despite very similar effort. I know one famous weight loss guru lost over 200 lbs. with no sagging skin at all, but we have no proof it was his methods.

I have a fair amount of sagging skin, and I didn't lose fast. I don't love it, but I think I would have had some of it anyway, and if it's one of the prices I pay for a better way of eating, so be it. Especially since I'm not willing to do things a lot differently, and it's not a health hazard.

Just out of curiosity, what would you be willing to change if you found out it reduced sagging skin?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:44 am

oolala53 wrote: Just out of curiosity, what would you be willing to change if you found out it reduced sagging skin?
Well, when I went looking, if there had been evidence that brushing helps, I would be willing to brush twice a day. Mainly I went looking to see if it always happens when you lose a certain amount of weight and above, or if it's the speed at which one loses that causes it. And, I guess I was wanting to understand it more (we can lose fat and we can lose muscle, why can't we lose skin?)

If exercise helps, I think it would add to my motivational arsenal (but certainly wouldn't be the only motivation, and not the main one--but sometimes it's nice to remember the breadth of things helped by exercise to "tip the scales" so to speak). I probably wouldn't drastically change the type of exercise I'm willing to do.

If there were certain vitamins or supplements that helped, I'd possibly consider that. I probably wouldn't drastically change eating habits.

I guess it really depends on what could help if anything.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:35 pm

I acquired saggy forearms. I notice them esp when laying down and holding up a book to read. They look like they belong to an 80 year old. My arms don't get too puffed when I gain, so I'm thinking it's aged related, too.

My face had gotten a little thinner, and I'm seeing light lines around the chin area. I moisturize my face with coconut oil or cocoa butter, and so far they are behaving themselves.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:39 am

Noni, that is exactly my experience with my forearms, though I didn't mention it. My blood ran a little cold when I first noticed it because I knew it would never go away. It's other places, too, but the forearm drapery was a surprise to see at my age. I really thought it would be another 10 years at least before it would look like it does. I've wondered if replacement estrogen therapy would help, but that's not without risks a little more serious than loss of vanity.

Beware of unsubstantiated claims on the internet. Every one and his mother will say this and that will work. But I don't know how you'd look up a subject like that on Google scholar...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

sam128

Post by sam128 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:06 am

It was. There's only two types of people in the world like they say: the ones that go to surgery and the ones who use outside box sources. This link https://porevacuumcleaners.com/collecti ... -extractor will give you some information about an extractor that I usually use. Good luck

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:09 am

Well, I've changed my belly shape relatively dramatically through two pregnancies with no "slow drop" afterwards and acquired only a small bit of extra skin. However the more delicate skin on my neck and upper arms is showing my age (and perhaps sun damage). So in my experience how much skin "snaps back" is mostly to do with age and skin delicacy, rather than shape change.

While pregnant I was gifted with heaps of special creams etc. They were nice, but I never noticed an appreciable difference in my skin tbh.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:29 pm

I've lost 50 pounds twice in my life and although I was younger then, it all shrunk back in time. I've heard it may take 2 years and I think at was probably about right. Of course I've now gained it all back again after these years but it helps to think it will all shrink back to my age appropriate tightness.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

splandrea

Post by splandrea » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:45 pm

How old were you lost it Reneew? I'm 39 and terrified of being a skin sack
07/01/17: 258
Current: 238
Aiming for 180. We shall see...

tiwarianshika302

Post by tiwarianshika302 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:54 pm

thanks

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:30 am

Sorry to say, but I think the forearm sag as well as other sags eventually come with aging and have nothing to do with fat loss. I made it to 70 before the forearm sag and it was quite a shock to see! I have fought the tricep sag for years with weight lifting, but I have finally lost that battle. There is also the boob drop and the post menopause tummy! Sorry if TMI or if discouraging. There just comes a time to embrace 3/4 length sleeves and move on. I think I look trim in my clothes and pretty fit for a 71 year old even if I am still 28 inside my head!