Doing No S...Keto style

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LoriLifts

Doing No S...Keto style

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:08 am

Look who's back in No S town...me!

Here's a bit of back story.
-Became a No S member in 2008
-At the time I was a high carb vegetarian for over 25 years
-Started and stopped No S for 4 years. After a million attempts, I couldn't do the No Sugar rule, even for 5 days.
-Despite being an ultra marathoner, I was still carrying 25-30 extra pounds.

Last summer, I knew something had to change. At 55 years old, I was tired of obsessing about food. Despite being a No S member for over 4 years, I felt like a fraud. I couldn't stick to the rules. Instead I kept "almost" doing them. Like only having dessert everyday at dinner.

Blah, blah, blah....

Time to do something radical. At this point I had so many failures, if this didn't work, what's one more?

I began a paleo diet on Memorial Day. No grains or refined sugar. Add MEAT! The first bite of meat was a lamb burger back in May. The first meat I've eaten in 25 years. I LOVED IT! Meat has replaced grains and I felt great.

I stopped eating grains but I was still consuming daily sweets that were made with honey, maple syrup and agave.

On July 4th I gave up the natural sweet stuff. I also switched to a keto diet. A keto diet is high fat, moderate protein and low carb. To ensure I stay in Nutritional Ketosis, I've been checking my blood ketones. When I'm in ketosis, I have zero cravings. I can be staring at a big chocolate cake and not even be tempted. I can be dining out and not even consider eating the bread basket. I'm still amazed by this.

Fast forward to today. I can fit into all my pants, most of them are falling off. I feel terrific. The last missing piece is to be a No S success story.

Tomorrow I'll begin a 21 day vanilla S challenge. It's taken me 5 years but I know that this time I'll get it done.

I'll post on a daily basis.

It's good to be back.....
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:59 pm

Good luck. The Keto Diet, as I am sure you know, was developed in the 20's and 30's to control Diabetes and seizures. One of the side effects is weight loss.

It is still used today for people who don't respond to their seizure meds. 8)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Welcome back, Lori. So happy that you have found what works for you and your lifestyle. Congrats to you. :wink:
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:12 pm

@ WalkerLori:

Wowsers! Most excellent & interesting back story. I cannot imagine what it must have been like having your first taste of meat after a 25 year hiatus.
Incredible.

Appreciated your comment about maple syrup, agave, etc. I too use natural sugar and suspect perhaps I am a tad too generous in that regard. Hmmmm................

Looking forward to following your thread. :wink:
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue May 07, 2013 1:40 am

So I write my first post of the year in February, then follow up with a second one in May!

I blame my laptop, it conked out on me. Until now I've only had my work computer.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome back. Unless I drop my iPad in the toilet, I'll begin posting on a regular basis.

So what's been happening since the beginning of the year?

I've completed several half marathons, my next one is in June. I'm also taking Russian kettle-bell classes. They're tough and take me out of my comfort zone, both are good things.

Still following a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. My slippery slope has been snacking. I'm not hungry, it's just a habit. That needs to be broken!

So, here I go.
My HabitCal is set up, ready to be used for a Vanilla Challenge.
Back on Thursday to report on Day 1.

UPDATE...Dang it! It's Thursday and I forgot that it was Day 1! I had a snack (ok, 2) before I even realized what I was doing.
This is gonna be tougher than I thought.
I begin again tomorrow....

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri May 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Day 1...SUCCESS!

It felt good to put a green square on my HabitCal.

Eating a high fat, low carb diet keeps my blood glucose stable. I also try to stay in nutritional ketosis, which means my body is using fat for energy instead of sugar. My goal in doing a keto diet is to be a fat-burner.

I've been checking my blood on a daily basis to check my numbers.

Today, at 3pm my blood glucose reading was 77. That's a good thing.

My blood ketone number was .4. The desirable range for Nutritional ketosis is .3 to 3.0.

Onward to Day 2....

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Blood Glucose 73
Blood ketones 1.1

I want to stay in Nutritional Ketosis, so even though it's Saturday, I'm not falling into a plate of pancakes (mmmm..pancakes...)

After a kick butt kettle-bell class, I had some full fat greek yogurt with heavy cream and berries, topped with coconut and nuts. During the week I usually have some type of meat/cheese rollups for breakfast. My new favorite has been roast beef and swiss cheese with some avocado squished in. It's a nice change to have yogurt for breakfast. Especially with heavy cream mixed in!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon May 13, 2013 12:10 am

My first S weekend is coming to an end. I'm happy to report that although my blood ketones dropped, I'm still in NK.

Blood ketones .4
Blood Glucose 82

Time to pack my breakfast for work tomorrow. I'm thinking that it will be 2 hard boiled eggs with ham and a hunk of cheese. I'll throw in some avocado too. Delish!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat May 18, 2013 12:43 am

Uh-oh.
I see some red on my HabitCal.
Instead of focusing on what I did wrong, I'll talk about the lessons I learned this week...

-I need to check into the forum on a daily basis. I need the accountability.

-I stopped weighing myself on a regular basis. It was making me too crazy. If the number was low, I felt like I had some "wiggle room" and could relax the rules. Checking my blood ketones have replaced the daily weigh-ins. I'm falling into the same pattern. If my ketone number is desirable, I relax the rules. I'm putting my ketone strips away for awhile.

-Even though I've read it 1000 times, it's time to dust off the No S book and re-read it again.

I wish I would have had a string of green on my HabitCal, but tomorrow is a new day. Time to pick myself up and start again....

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat May 18, 2013 4:06 pm

OK, here I go again...

The next 21 days are perfect for a 21 day Vanilla No S challenge. I'll be working out of town as well as going on vacation. It's easier for me to break habits when I'm out of my daily routine.

Last May I finally became grain-free, after trying for a couple years. I picked a busy week to begin and that time it stuck. On Memorial Day it will be 1 year since I became wheat and grain-free. I can now look (and smell) bagels without wanting to eat 3 of them. Or even one. It still amazes me.

I'll be working out of town the beginning of next week. When I return home on Wednesday or Thursday, I'll schedule a kettle-bell class at 4:30. Late afternoon is my trigger time for snacking. If I can stay busy I can make it until dinner.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi, girl!

I'm a little curious why you feel you need No S at all. It sounds like you found a system that worked. Do other keto people restrict themselves similarly?

In any case, welcome back!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat May 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi back atcha oolala!
It's nice to see that all the regulars are still here!

Since I've been doing a keto diet I have thought about not being a No S'er anymore. And I have strayed away.

But I keep coming back!

I feel very attached to the No S community. I miss you guys when I'm gone.

The No S rules are a good fit with the keto diet. Eating high fat/low carb/moderate protein eliminates hunger between meals (for me) Snacking between meals is just a habit.

Since I don't need to lose anymore weight (it feels weird to write that), maybe I should take it slow and focus on 1 No S rule at a time. Do that one for 21 days, then add the next.

Hmmm....thanks for your comments oolala, you've given me something to think about.........

samwills

Post by samwills » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:49 am

walkerlori wrote:Day 1...SUCCESS!

It felt good to put a green square on my HabitCal.

Eating a high fat, low carb diet keeps my blood glucose stable. I also try to stay in nutritional ketosis, which means my body is using fat for energy instead of sugar. My goal in doing a best pruvit keto australia is to be a fat-burner.

I've been checking my blood on a daily basis to check my numbers.

Today, at 3pm my blood glucose reading was 77. That's a good thing.

My blood ketone number was .4. The desirable range for Nutritional ketosis is .3 to 3.0.

Onward to Day 2....
Hello,
I want to start using Keto Supplement but before it. I want to know is there any side effect of this???