automated eating tracker

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Yay! finally a new page without so much scrolling!
May 29 - June 2:
Monday: S Day (national holiday) -- guess I started back with two S days in a row, lol
Tuesday: green
Wednesday: GREEN! made a delicious dinner: black peppered steak with cauliflower gratin and green beans. A nice sauce on the steak and sour cream and chives on the gratin.
Thursday: GREEN
Friday: aimin' for green

Weight: 143.4
Waist: 34.25
note: my thigh was 22.5 at its fattest point; my 8 year old's waist is not quite 21 inches.
:shock: :? :!:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:09 am

Scrolling ? Why do you need to scroll to post on your thread?

Btw, good to see you back here!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:58 am

automatedeating wrote:Yay! finally a new page without so much scrolling!
If your discussion has any new posts on it, just click on the little yellow page icon (the one the arrow points to)--it will take you right to the new post, no scrolling needed!

congrats on hitting a new page :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:33 am

June 5th:
Monday: GREEN but the day isn't over and I'm having some cravings .....
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:55 am

I hope you stayed strong and beat those cravings... :D
I CAN do this.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:36 am

The good news is after long enough, habit will take over the limiting of the food. It may take adjusting over a period of time to see how much and what on the plate will get you where you want, but you'll probably work out your own Intelligent Dietary Defaults to make it easier. I remember Barry Sears saying long ago that most people end up eating the same 20 foods over and over. (This is what puts the lie to people saying they get bored with a diet. Really? They weren't bored with the repeating menu of convenience/manufactured food they ate before?) If you can slowly reduce some of them and replace the least satisfying/ lowest quality ones, you'll end up with a better routine. And know that slim cultures don't eat a huge variety for every meal. There's usually only one main meal a day where they do it up.

It does sound like these delivered meal ingredients are a nice bridge for people who haven't cooked much or are really strapped for time. I seem to luck out finding good sauces that I use on my very simply-prepared meal basics. Just like someone can eat chicken six ways to Sunday (is that the expression?), I'ver learned that I can enjoy my beans, a changing grain, veggies and a different sauce pretty routinely. (I rotate in some animal sources, too, but less lately for reasons I won't go into. They're on my thread.) I'm suspicious of myself when I think it has to be much better ALL the time. Bernard Jensen used to say to wait to eat until you had "the keenest desire for the plainest food." That may be a little too ideal, but it helps keep things in perspective.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:19 am

June 5th:
update -- made it!!!!
Tuesday: GREEN so far, not so many cravings tonight, but fought down a mild sense of panic while I was eating that I would not be full after eating.
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:

Oolala! Thank you for your kind, thorough, and helpful post! What a treat! ;)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:50 am

And were you right about not being full?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:23 am

Lol I am totally full!
I need to remind myself of this occurrence.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:49 am

Yes. When I first started, I would check in periodically over the course of an evening and keep seeing that I was actually full, even if I had a yen to eat. And if I had an inkling that I wasn't getting enough food on the plate, I'd recall how many times I had doubted and been wrong. It still happens some times. I think of it as cave woman thoughts! Deep down, but mistaken.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:13 pm

June 5th:
update -- made it!!!!
Tuesday: GREEN so far, not so many cravings tonight, but fought down a mild sense of panic while I was eating that I would not be full after eating.
Wednesday: GREEN
Friday:

Weight: 143.6
Waist: 34.25 inches

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:28 am

June 5th:
update -- made it!!!!
Friday: GREEN

Weight: 143.6
Waist: 34.25 inches

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:31 am

June 12th
Mon:GREEN
Tues:GREEN
Wed: GREEN
Thur:
Fri:

Weight:
Waist:

couple of things:
1 -- nice S weekend (last weekend)
Plan shaping in my head: Vanilla S for 6 months and hopefully 6 pounds
After that, I anticipate a plateau that I have reached several times where Vanilla NoS cannot take me beyond. At that point, I think I'll bring in the smaller plates/smaller portions strategy. Keep everything else the same. That's my tentative plan at this point.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Isn't it interesting to not be thinking about how you could add food back later? So often on diets, people are encouraged to limit their food a lot to lose and then increase it a little (because who can keep up the enforced limitation?) But with No S, it leads to realizing you don't need to add anything; in fact, you can subtract.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 pm

June 12th
Mon:GREEN
Tues:GREEN
Wed: GREEN
Thur: GREEN
Fri:

Weight: 145.1
Waist: 34.5

How disappointing. I've been green all week. Sigh.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:12 am

What was disappointing? Did you not make it today?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:21 am

Ugh.
I gained weight and inches....
But I had an entirely green week.
I will try not to worry about it. I know i should concentrate on building habit.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 pm

I haven't followed too closely. Has your habit been fairly strong for several weeks?

BTW, I was browsing a bit in your previous posts and wanted to tell you that I'm pretty sure my thighs were 26+" before I started. I don't know what they are now, but I doubt they are under 22. Thankfully, thigh size has little correlation to any health problems.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:20 am

LOL, thanks oolala, I'll try not to worry too much about my thigh size, hehe.
I am only on my 3rd full week of NoS after many months away, so right now I know I just need to focus on habit.

June 18th
Monday: GREEN
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Weight --
Waist --

I'm heading to a conference tomorrow morning. I'll be flying all day tomorrow and Sunday. Travel days are always tough.
But the conference should have good meals! ;)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:35 am

June 18th
Tuesday: GREEN

June 25th
Tuesday: GREEN
Weight: 145
Waist: 34.5 inches

Wow. No changes at all, no weight loss, no inches loss, and ALL green days.
I've been drinking too much wine, that might explain it.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:36 am

July 2nd
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Weight:
Waist:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Not to divert you from just establishing habit, and I know around here people like to encourage NOT worrying about too many details, but there are some truths that possibly shouldn't be ignored, especially for shorter women whose margins are usually smaller. Every alcoholic drink is about the about the same as another 1 1/2 servings of starch, 2-3 oz. of meat (which might be another full serving for many) or another tablespoon and a half of butter on the plate. Most sources that recommend wine/alcohol drinking suggest one serving a day for women, but that probably won't have the satiety effect that eating the same amount of food would, so it can be misleading. However, it also adds pleasure and likely a nice sense of relaxation.

As you said, you haven't been back long. July 4 might not help, depending on how involved your traditional celebrations are. But a plan has to be able to accommodate some celebrations!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks for the comment, oolala. I really appreciate the input, and the encouragement for me to find a plan that helps my body get to a healthy weight.
I have pondered my food/alcohol intake and two things stand out:

1) in the past on NoS, I have had the best success (and been quite content/satieted) when skipping breakfast. I just have several cups of milky coffee and I'm delighted each morning. Haha Since starting back on NoS, I've been having granola each morning with my usual whole milk. Lots of calories, and not necessary for my needs physically or psychologically. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ever getting too hungry so I could stay GREEN. So.....I will reinstitute my breakfast skipping (please note -- I am probably still getting 100 calories or so from the milk in my coffee).

2) I need to cut back on my drinking (for lots of reasons, right?). That tends to be tougher. Over the years I have really built a bad habit of relying on alcohol to help me deal with my intense schedule and responsibilities. Maybe that's a bit heavy for NoS forum chat, but it is what it is.

Week starting July 2nd
Tuesday: 4th of July, S afternoon
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Weight:
Waist:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:07 pm

I think you can call milky coffee breakfast. Only you can know if several of them are less intake than granola and milk, though granola is pretty dense so packs a lot into small spaces...

We've just about all used something that didn't really support us as functionally as something else could.

I'm a firm believer in the value of being able to pinpoint what benefit we think we get from a bx, what benefits we'd like even more, and what the disadvantages are as a jump off point for changing the behavior. I think when people get it really clear, that's when turnarounds happen. That's when habit theory's concept of bright lines helps the process.

Judith Beck says one of the most misleading thoughts we have are when we believe that we're doomed to repeat certain coping strategies we've come to depend on. No matter how many times we've used that loop, a different behavior is possible. It might not be as exciting or intense, but avoiding the negatives of the offending bx is often enough to balance things out, IF we pay attention to them. And it takes practice.

Have a good 4th!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Week starting July 2nd
Week 5 or 6? I'll have to check
Update: Week 6 of good compliance.
Tuesday: 4th of July, S afternoon
Wednesday: small fail (few steak fries off kid's plate)
Weight: 145
Waist: didn't bother; it's too discouraging!

OK, so here's where I'm at --
skipping a formal breakfast didn't help, but perhaps one week wasn't enough (and July 4th was an S afternoon)

So my plan for the next 4 weeks is:
1) milky coffee for breakfast
2) NoW (No wine except on Weekends and Wednesdays)
3) walking or biking daily

So I'll set it up like this:
Week 7, but start of 4 weeks of serious business plan with the intent to get the damn scale to move down at least one pound by the end of the 4 weeks.
Week 1 of serious business plan
July 10th,11th,12th,13th,14th
Monday: Eating? GREEN Walking? GREEN -- went on a nice hike NoDrinking? RED; had a glass of red wine
Tuesday: Eating? Walking? NoDrinking?
Wednesday: Eating? Walking? Glass Ceiling?
Thursday: Eating? Walking? NoDrinking?
Friday: Eating? Walking?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks for the support re: the cooking class. It went fine enough. Congrats on the compliance rate! Nothing to do but keep trying adjustments.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Saturday, July 22nd

I am feeling like a whale. I feel sad, fat, and like I can't succeed. I feel unaccomplished compared to some of the friends I have hung out with lately.I guess I feel like I am kind of trashy -- from domestic care issues to how cultured (not) that I am, my lack of style. Oh, God. I am a mess right now.
I feel like my family is crazy. And I'm one of them so I'm crazy too. I feel like I can't change my habits. I feel like a fat, lazy failure.

Sigh. That's a lot of ugly feelings. I'm sorry to barf them out here. I actually hope no one reads this entry because I know how ridiculous I sound.

I weighed myself this morning after returning from visiting my family. I had maintained nearly perfect compliance! I didn't feel thin, but I was proud of my compliance.
And... yup -- I gained 2 pounds. I'm at 147.5 pounds this morning. 135 is the top of my healthy BMI.

Logically, the weight gain came from meals that were too dense, lack of activity, and probably having a couple of S Days in there (other than the weekend).

I also have a minor joint pain in my hip/thigh that makes hiking uphill uncomfortable. I think, although not serious, it is a factor in keeping me from exercising as much as I'd like to.

OK, so here I am. It's an S Day (Saturday) but so far I'm just keeping it normal. I can't go on like this, getting bigger and bigger, and more and more physically limited on my hikes.

As if all this junk thought filling my head isn't icky enough, I am also reeling a bit from discovering on my vacation that a) one of my sisters is an alcoholic (I have suspected for some time) -- my family makes excellent high-functioning alcoholics. It's one of our giftings (oh, please tell me you sense the dripping sarcasm); and b) my oldest niece is addicted to meth/heroine. I think my other sister is going to end up having to raise her granddaughter.....I sort of see the writing on the wall with that situation.

A few years ago when I first joined NoS, I feel like I was a more confident woman. Now, I feel beat up and incompetent. What has happened to me? My goodness, this post is ridiculous. I am a goober.

A goober that wants to stick to Vanilla NoS but is finding (like oolala has reminded her) that Vanilla NoS without considering what's on the plate doesn't work for me. I'm going to take a nap. Maybe I'll feel better when I get up. Maybe I'll clean my house or weed or go on a walk.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm so sorry you're feeling so awful. It sounds like there are a lot of sad family revelations going on. And you sound frustrated about your weight. But you probably know your worth is not your weight, right? Hope you are able to get through this valley quickly and just drive on.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:02 am

Ugh I feel your pain! My weight is up for no apparent reason too and it's hard to stay positive.

I think we all have these times when we fall into a funk and everything appears hopeless. Frankly I think we're all a mess. Some of us are just better at hiding it than others but you're not a failure. You're a good person, a great mom and you have a good job.

Hang in there. Life is so dang hard sometimes but this too shall pass.

*hugs* linda

PS

I'm so sorry about your sister.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:35 am

Thanks Linda and Larkspur. I definitely showed my uglies today.
I was just reading over on Imogen's thread -- I hadn't even realized she'd had a baby, that is so cool.
Anyway, then I somehow wandered onto a thread where oolala recently pointed out a problem that IS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM. She said something about how if we thinking facing down our desire for pleasure is unfair/not a fair trade-off, that we just end up sabotaging ourselves. Ultimately it WOULD be a fair (more than fair) trade-off, but it's a realization that we have to let sink into our bones. I'm paraphrasing the eloquent oolala -- but hopefully I got this gist correct.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:06 am

Well, I'm flattered and it sounds about right, though I don't usually talk about sabotage, because it sounds so mean. I don't think we're being mean in overeating. It's just hard to justify the sacrifice if we dont' get something we want more. If weight loss is the only thing we want, it makes it harder.

So, you're about 5'2"? Hmm, that is challenging. Did you see my thread on "intake?" It's likely your need for calories is pretty low. If you had been raised in a slimmer culture, you would probably never have gotten used to eating much more than it would take to maintain a lower weight. But here we are.

I could be wrong, but I suspect you'd feel a lot better not getting full as often but it is isn't easy to make that happen. The habit will make desire pop up before you want it to. If you decide it's worth it to press on, have something great to eat in your plan for the next meal and look forward to waiting for it!

I hope you feel better now. I often feel funny when people post comforting things because the worst is usually over. But I"m not complaining! I'm grateful people care.

Just keep going.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:07 am

hey auto, just catching up after my own off the rails / somewhat depressing little episode. So sorry you are going through a rough time, and lots of tough family stuff too. Something in the water the past few days for sure.

I was thinking of you the other day, because I want to start reading my oldest (who is 5 now) some longer "chapter" books, and I remembered being inspired by your idea of daily reading. I thought you might be able to recommend some good titles to get started on?

Hope this week is on the way up!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Phew. I'm back. Thank you to everybody for the encouragement.
I am feeling a little better -- I think I am finally accepting that my small stature means I can be satisfied with smaller portions. Or at least, I am accepting it today (and usually I never want to accept that!).

I have also made an appointment to see a marriage counselor (alone, lol) tonight. My goals are to work with her to develop strategies to get my husband to engage in the counseling too.

He's a gentle man, a kind man, but he is emotionally unavailable (maybe that's a cliche, but it is oh so true). I think his family's motto was "Do not Feel" -- there was no strong emotion that was OK to express.

So I've been writing a lot today; I have 3 pages of writing for the counselor. Ha! I will get my money's worth from her, I guess! :)

Ok, so my game plan this week is:
no breakfast
small portioned lunch and dinner -- smaller plates
no wine with dinner on Mon/Tues/Thur

Monday - GREEN
Tuesday -

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Tuesday -- GREEN
Wednesday -- GREEN
Thursday --
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:24 am

Good for you for being proactive! I remember you taking about counseling helping you in the past & it actually helped me get up the courage to go. It's been a transformative experience for me. I hope you find it helpful once again

I switched to smaller plates awhile ago. I think it's helped to get my portions smaller. Have you tried that yet?

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Good news! The scale MOVED! And in the right direction.
142.1 today

So, my strategy will remain for next week:
milky coffee for breakfast
small plate for lunch (like Linda is doing)
small plate for dinner

No alcohol except on weekends and wednesdays

I think one week at a time is ambitious enough

Linda -- I am so glad therapy has proved useful for you. I really think we all can benefit. I think it's trifold benefit over sharing with a friend or loved one:
1) we are less concerned about appearance/impression/reputation/gossip
2) we are paying them, so we don't feel guilty about using the time to focus on our hearts (rather than the normal back-and-forth between friends)
3) the advice from a trained professional is easier to truly listen to without becoming defensive; then we can move forward with positive change.

So, I'm excited for our couples meeting on Tuesday, but I have to reign in my expectations. It hit me with quite a jolt that I have been doing this "internal" work for 18 years now!!!!!!! That puts me very far ahead of my husband on this road. Bummer. I would suggest to those more newly married not to try and just live with emotional distance from a spouse (if you also experience that) but to see if you get your spouse to enter couples therapy -- and keep at it (mine quit back when we were first married). I'm not sure how this imbalance will play out in therapy. Can we all say together, though: DON'T TALK TOO MUCH, AUTO.
:lol:

Last topic: S days. Here I am, Sat. morning and I just ate a scone for breakfast (400 calories, wow). I'm of course also having my coffee. What to do.... just do like the old days when I never worried about anything on S Days? Or embrace this new desire to control S Days? OK, writing it down just emphasized that I need to NOT WORRY! :) I'm in this for the long haul. I had the same thought when I considered getting rid of wine on Wednesday night, too, but then thought -- easy, there Tiger, let's not overdo it and burn out.

Onward!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:06 am

Wait, is your husband going to counseling? You said you were excited about going today. (or next Tuesday?) I thought you said you'd be looking for strategies to get him to go. I'd be curious to know what the therapist said about that.

Do you think he is happy in the marriage as is?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Oolala, first I went, then I somehow talked my husband into going the very next day. Then somehow he and the therapist agreed that the three of us would meet -- which we did, yesterday.

It was pretty cool. Way more productive than I expected.
We have another appt in a week. I've already had to face the reality that I sometimes try to "argue" people out of their emotions. Not good.

This week -- green Mon/Tues. but, sigh, I just failed today. I gave in to the beauty of a cinnamon roll from my favorite bakery. Ergh. Mark it and move on. And what was the phrase -- climber's arrest or something like that? I don't want to just let the day get away from me.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:48 pm

So glad your husband is going with you. We've never gone to marriage counseling but I've threatened several times. That's usually enough to get him to help resolve whatever issue we're having. Your husband is being very brave!

Also, great to see the scale is finally catching up with you.

Happy Friday!!

Linda

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Returned last night from 1 week road trip. Followed my plan except for:
1) a S'More fail the first night;
2) alcohol fails on two nights (I'm trying to avoid alcohol MTTh nights completely)
3) some dense restaurant plates

Other than that, I resisted each and every day the desire to snack, have breakfasts, and desserts. I felt really good (again) about my compliance, so I am sad that the scale this morning: 146.1
Ugh

I am home for a few days, then off on my final trip of the summer -- to St. Louis and Springfield with the boys. We'll be gone for one week.

1) easy to avoid alcohol when it's just me and the boys, so that one should work well. And the friend I'm visiting rarely/never drinks so no temptation there.
2) getting milky coffee on this last trip worked well, so I'll continue that.
3) which means -- it's those dang portion sizes/dense foods. How about this -- no burgers/fries. If a salad is an option, I will order that.... is that a decent plan? I travel on Sundays, so that is nice that those are already S days.

Please scale please scale go down. Hmmm, has the scale become my idol? I shouldn't think that is funny, but I am imagining myself bowing down to a giant scale with a quivering needle that moves up when I sin and down when I saint. Hehe
:lol:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:19 pm

144.8 this morning.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:38 am

another counseling appointment. This one was really hard for me. We had to practice talking about a stressful event and my husband brought up a time I had embarrassed him in public. The counselor kept having to stop me because I would try to problem solve or jump over his feelings. I felt like such a failure. At the end she even had to say that she doesn't want me leaving feeling like I'm a bad wife.
Sigh. I guess this is what I wanted; but now it's hard to hear how much work I have to do.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:52 am

I remember being on a road trip with my then-boyfriend and we were having disagreements and tough feelings. I had always thought I was someone who could "communicate," but I was silent a fair amount. I wanted to either lash out or just go home on my own at times, but I sat with the discomfort. There I was in my early 40's and I thought, "Boy, I'm finally getting what they mean when they say relationships are hard work." I had never thought what that meant. It meant being really uncomfortable at times and not resorting to the worst coping strategies. He's been married to someone else for over ten years, which is a-okay with me- he would never have lasted through my career, and I wouldn't have lasted through his hidden alcohol problem, though it's basically resolved now, but we talk once in awhile. He said recently that he remembers mostly the good times on that trip.

Changing communication is REALLY hard. I salute you!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Thank you for that encouragement, Oolala. I am reading a book called The Art of Empathy. It's a pretty interesting read from an extremely emotionally intuitive person. I can only take a chapter or so, though, before I head back to my summer fun reads. :)

OK -- I survived my LAST travel of the summer!!! The boys and I had SO much fun together; it was delightful, it was sweet, it was.....so wonderful. Please remind me of this when I begin complaining about them during the winter!

And it feels good to be home for 2 full weeks before I roar back into work-mode.

And, it feels EXCELLENT to share with y'all that I was compliant! And I mean compliant with my recent smaller portions!

I weighed in this morning (never weigh on a Monday, right?) after my S Days and traveling and I was 144.7. I was super relieved to see that. Eating out virtually all week, and I didn't gain. So. Smaller portions. Alcohol restriction on certain days (always good to restrict the alcohol, yes?) and lots of walking.

And I did something new: last night in the airport we were eating at Chili's. My son wanted a burger; I proposed that we split a burger and fries. We did; and both of us were satisfied. On my own I might have just eaten the whole burger just to.... eat it.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:42 pm

The scale has moved!
News: I joined a health club. It's really nice, and has so many group classes. Those are the ones I tend to like, because they keep me more engaged than working out on my own.
My plan is: walk/bike with dog about 7-730; get boys and myself ready to leave; drive boys to school (starts at 8:30), then drive to club and do 9am class. Get to my office at 10:30. Work 10:30-4:30, then home to make dinner and drive kids to various evening activities. It will be tricky to see how much work I have to do from home to stay caught up.
School starts for kids Sept. 6th. so I have a couple weeks to sort of "practice" the morning routine. I went my first time this morning to a water aerobics class.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Guess I haven't posted in a bit.
scale this morning: 143.0

Had 3 fails this week. :roll: :oops:
*licorice on Tuesday
*gelato when out with a friend on Wednesday
*gelato that I had bought to bring home (why did I do that? And why did i eat it friday night when I could have waited a few more hours until Sat?!)

Sigh. Mark it (the whole week, I guess) and move on.

Positives:
*Have worked out every weekday for 8 weekdays.
*Have eaten moderate portions at meals
*Have not had seconds or snacks -- sweets have been my downfall this past week
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Kudos on seeing what you did right!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:40 am

Great job working out! Hang in there!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:43 am

thanks oolala and Linda!

I think "i'm hanging in there" is a good way to describe my mode right now. :roll:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:56 am

Good enough!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:59 am

good enough, damn straight. :)

I had a good week. No fails, although some of my plates were too big.
5 days at the gym.

Had such a fun bike/hike combo with my dog this morning. Biked him to the trailhead, then was able to let him off leash. We biked together a ways, then I left my bike and we hiked the steeper parts to the pond he likes to play in. Nobody on these trails, so it felt safe to leave bike. Also, felt great to tire him out (in a good way -- he was so happy) before I had to leave for work.

weight: 142.2

officially back to work Monday!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:12 am

Dogs are the best and they're so much happier after a little exercise. Sounds like a great day!

Best of luck starting back to work!

Linda

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:08 pm

May I ask to know or be reminded what you BMI is now? What has been your lowest BMI without a great deal of effort?

Or you can say you'd rather not say, really.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Linda -- remember when the dog gave me panic attacks!? He is still work, but I enjoy him a lot now.

Hi Oolala! Thanks for the question!

My current BMI is: 26 exactly

My lowest BMI without a great deal of effort ....hmmm it seems like it's getting higher and harder to not gain weight (I'm 40 now) but I truly think 135 pounds (BMI 24.7) is very maintainable if I am reasonably active and following NoS (with moderate portions and decent food choices). Of course, I drool over weighing 130 again -- BMI 23.8

And 115, ha! That was pre-babies.

I won't deny it -- it's hard to see many posters with BMIs of 20, 21, 22.

I had a beautiful green week. Worked out every day! Kept small portions EVERY DAY! Stepped on scale this morning WTH?! 142. AGAIN.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:35 am

automatedeating wrote: I won't deny it -- it's hard to see many posters with BMIs of 20, 21, 22.
Well, I'll make you feel better because mine is 30! Wanting desperately to get to 29 and cross that threshold into "just" overweight, LOL! (I'd say trying desperately but, well, this month isn't going so well with 2 reds already, but I'm not giving up!! I started at almost 35, so 30 is progress!)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Oh I'm glad you're enjoying the dog now! They just get more manageable with age too.

We must be looking at different posters. I'm not seeing those low bmis for some reason but that would stress me out too. I know you're not happy with this weight but at least know you're at a very healthy weight. A bmi of 26-27 is actually associated with the lowest mortality rate. Dare I say those lower bmis are probably not very healthy? Also it's actually more dangerous to be underweight than overweight.

So I'm not saying don't try for those last 10 pounds or anything but know health wise you're in a good spot. You're body is probably saying "nope we're good here." But I absolutely understand your frustration. I've been working my butt off all week and my scale hasn't had to decency to budge even the tiniest bit. Ugh!

Anyway enjoy your S days.

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:21 am

Hey auto, sorry your body is lagging behind - it will catch up eventually!

Really glad you're enjoying your doggy! I love our dog, but didn't enjoy puppy / adolescence. I remember crying tears of frustration at our local park a time or two - a world away from our relaxed middle aged dog today!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Good Lord, what would your BMI have been at 115 lbs.? What, did you have your babies at age 12? Don't know how tall you are but I was 120 lbs. at age 12. I don't think I was much shorter than now. (Doctor told my mother I should lose 10 pounds. That's when I got sneakier about sweets.)

What else do we do but just keep going?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks Merry, Linda, ironchef, and oolala for putting up with my pity party. Thanks for all the good encouraging tidbits. Helps a lot.

And health is what it should all be about. Now I feel kind of embarrassed about my last post. Thanks all for your graciousness and patience.

And another completely green week -- and I gained. 143.6

However, I have a theory now (haha theory) -- I might be experiencing the "newbie work-outer" effect. Apparently it's normally difficult/controversial to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but if anyone can do it, it's someone that's been sedentary for a while and then starts working out. One website said 3-6 weeks before losses may show up. And my waist measurement definitely has gone down (by a whole inch, I think, although it's sometimes hard to tell if I'm sucking in or not, haha). Another effect of newbies to working out is that muscles will sometimes retain more water at first? Or something like that. So, I'll try not to despair.

So I've been working out 4-5 days a week for 4 weeks. Next weigh-in is Friday.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:52 pm

Oh yup! I always gain a bit when I first start working out after taking some time off. My friend said the same thing happens to her. I think it's something w/ water like you were describing.

Hang in there!!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 pm

When I was working as a personal trainer we used to offer clients a review (weigh, measure, skin folds, vo2 max) after 12 weeks. Any less than that and it isn't really enough time for the body to respond to the program. Humans are very adaptable, but not that fast :-)

I think the measuring and fit of clothes is very important too. Would you care if the scale read the same, but you dropped a size?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:46 pm

No need to be embarrassed. It's hard to be woman in this culture and not be infected with the beauty virus. But not worthy of despair. It's not like you got caught embezzling millions. I think those people actually handle it better than a woman gaining five pounds.

Ironchef, I'd take that deal any day.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Good morning!
waist definitely smaller, clothes fitting better, so I guess I also take ironchef's deal about smaller size but same weight.

been reading about linda and ironchef and heartburn and I think I may have to finally admit that heartburn is bothering me more than just rarely or never. It's been more common in the past couple of years -- triggers (within a few sips!) appear to be wine, fizzy kombucha, and of course overeating on something like pizza. sometimes even spaghetti -- maybe the tomato sauce. Oh, and eating a lot of pico de gallo. See....I guess it really has reared its ugly head. but I have never written about it (I think); it's like I didn't want to admit it and I CERTAINLY have not decided to change my eating, haha. So many of those things are my favorites!

Had two fails this week -- both T & Th nights I ate some licorice.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Ugh, sorry about the heartburn. Seems to be very common. Mine is pretty much 24/7 without meds though if that makes you feel any better.

Those are common triggers--tomatoes, spicy food, alcohol, and carbonation. Try to figure out what you can live without and try removing those. For the ones that you can't live without you could take an otc med like a halfhour before you're going to indulge. Also, you might want to carry tums with you.
The acid is really bad for your body so you do want to try to get that under control if possible. Okay that's my two cents.

Hope it gets better and good for you for going by your measurements rather than the scale. I feel like I'm doing everything I can to get to a healthy weight and keep my eating moderate so what's the point of weighing myself? The weight will be what it's going to be and all I can do is what I can do. That's just today though, tomorrow I may feel differently.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:16 am

Sorry to hear you've been experiencing heartburn too! It is really miserable. I never had any until after I had my kids, and I don't know if it is changes to my body or just getting older.

The good news is that I've brought it much more under control by avoiding a few triggers (coffee, fizzy alcohol, eating a big, dense dinner close to bedtime), so you might find it doesn't take that many tweaks to get sorted.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:18 am

I can relate, with the heartburn.😞 Some of my triggers are coffee (but I'm not ready to give up coffee yet), cooked tomatoes, overly large and fatty meals, citrus (especially orange juice), and eating too close to when I exercise. I try to limit the foods I listed, but I haven't changed my diet yet.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:21 am

Hello and Happy New Year!

I am very excited to be posting my "big reveal", lol, that's how I put it.

After over 4 years, I have reached "that point". That point where I am READY to eat healthy! Ha! My dear long-time posters, I hope you read this and laugh. Because I'm laughing. I never thought the day would come.

Now, I have to say, that unlike many NoSers, this has not been a beautiful, gradual, painless shift to healthier food choices. No, it's been more like a "oh no! My blood pressure is getting a little high, my blood sugars aren't so happy, my weight creepeth up and resists dropping, and I don't feel so great!!!" So, it's for my health. And I feel good about this decision!! I don't feel resentful about it (which is what I always complained about in my posts for the past years). I feel excited for me, and hopeful that there is time to feed (and teach) my family better in the few remaining years before my precious boys leave the nest.

So, I kept circling around this decision from all angles, and I know that there are many many great foods to eat and ways to go about it. I'm starting off with this clear, black & white decision (which is very NoS in its "fence", if you will):

No refined carbohydrates.

That covers candy, pastries, most bread, most pasta, most fast food, and on and on. Yikes!!

Should I really still just keep Sat/Sun S Days from this new rule of no refined carbs? Or will that make this new way of eating that much harder to stick with? I'm kind of biting my nails over this. On the one hand, I get it that long-term having my S Days is great. But I really want a whole lifestyle change for this, so I don't want to do it "part-time".

Maybe I could try S "events", like I've seen many posters do? Then the refined carbs could be allowed just at special dinners but not throughout the weekend.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do completely free S Days with this, but I'm still finalizing my new fences.

Boys are good - my eldest is totally involved with basketball these days. We let him buy a cell phone (with his own $$) after his 12th birthday. Our younger son wanted a guitar for Christmas and says he feels like he'd rather not be born at all than to go to watch his brother's basketball games (said in complaint as we drag him there). :wink:

I continue to enjoy my gym membership. I find I put on makeup and dress nicer when I get ready there instead of at home!!

Oh -- I was going to post my meals for the past couple days so you can see my better eating style (yeah, yeah, I konw I still don't include many veggies, but at least it's not McDonalds anymore).

Starting Weight -- 144 - 148 lb (range)
Starting Waist -- 33.5 -35 inches (range)
Starting BP -- 115/75 - 160/100 (range); 140/85 most common

Thurs, Dec. 28th

Water: 2 cups + 1 cup
Coffee: 2 cups
Kombucha: 1 cup
Diet soda: 1 cup
Tea: 1 cup

Oatmeal with milk, walnuts & blueberries
Apple slices

Corn tortillas with canned chicken and cheese -- 3 of them
Carrot sticks
Kombucha, small amount

Brown rice & lentils
Tuna fish
Corn
garlic/parmesan bread with butter
Kombucha, small amount

Friday, Dec. 29th

Water: 4 cups + 2 cups
Coffee: 3 cups

Oatmeal & milk & blueberries & walnuts & cinnamon

Brown rice & quinoa & shredded chicken (leftover)
Carrots
Apple slices

French bread with butter (exception until this loaf is gone)
Black beans, cheese, chicken & sour cream
Kombucha (12 g sugar….guess I’ll have to cut these out)

Saturday, Dec. 30th
Waist 33.5 or 34

Water: 3 cups + 4 cups
Coffee: 2 cups

B: oatmeal with 1 tbsp peanut butter; blueberries & cinnamon
L: brown rice & lentils & chicken
D: pork ribs and french bread (exception until this loaf is gone)
Diet Coke & kombucha
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi Auto,

Congratulations on your great advances. It sounds like life is really treating you well right now! 😊 I must say I totally agree with your younger son's assessment of basketball games.

One un-asked for piece of advice . . . if you don't already . . .start making weekly menus based on your family's favorite and easiest new meals you're trying. This will save you mega time and effort shopping and allow you to "know what's for dinner" even when you are tired and/or frazzeled. If you are already a menu-maker I apologize. I just really find it vital for my own mental health.ðŸ˜

Happy New Year!! Here's to 2018

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi ginger -- thank you much for the menu suggestion.

Whenever I have succeeded at making decent dinners, it was always thanks to a menu. As soon as I stopped the menu, our eating would fall apart again. So thanks for the advice, I will make one today for this upcoming week! :)

Oh, I also have been rereading earlier posts and I completely forgot that I had been struggling with heartburn! About 2 weeks ago I cut out alcohol completely (just for 40 days), and I haven't had a peep of it since! Whaddyaknow!?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi auto!!

Wow, good for you for cutting out alcohol! I know that it can aggravate my heartburn but cannot completely give up my evening glass of wine. Maybe eventually.

Just wanted to share that we've been using a meal service and it's been a game changer for us. I've always been pretty good about cooking dinners for us but this has made things so much easier. The food is a great quality so I feel like we're eating healthy and I love that's there's no waste. There's a lot of different meal services but we use Plated and are loving it. I can even send you a coupon for a free box if you're interested.

Lastly, thanks so much for your sweet comment on my thread. That really warmed my heart & made my day.

I hope you have a fabulous New Years!

Linda â¤ï¸

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Meal Services! Yay! We started using HomeChef last spring when I had to take on (way) too many extra hours at work. Kids are not always the best about eating it, but my husband loves the meals so much. So going forward we are getting just 2 servings twice a week. Saves $$ to reduce down as well. My kids can eat corn tortillas and beans while my husband and I have our special meal. :)

OK folks here I am! January 1, 2018
Turning a new page in my life. I am feeling nervous but committed. That said, I'll be so grateful for this forum's (always) amazing support this year.

I have deeply enjoyed my research and planning over the month of December to prepare for my "big change". I loved discussing it with family and friends and then saying, "I am still finalizing my fences." Gotta love Reinhard's phrasing.

So, here is what I'm doing --

M - F Vanilla NoS NoRefined (this means that I will not eat refined carbohydrates on weekdays)

S days -- I will allow refined carbs for special events, but not free access on S Days. The snacks, seconds, etc., will remain the same freedom on S days as always.

A few notes:

1. Make a food INELIGIBLE: The following note is contrary to the popular thinking that if we make a food restricted we want it more. I have personal experience with the opposite, so since this has worked for me (unconsciously) in the past, I am going to exploit this ability of mine. I have never been a sugary drink drinker as an adult (although I loved them as a kid), so this is easy to avoid. Which brings me to a contemplation -- maybe we CAN forever eliminate a particular food from our diet? Like if we literally never ate it again, would we eventually "look past it" in the store? For example, I guarantee I never look at a box of Twinkies in the store. As a teenager or early 20's I'm sure there must have been a point when I just thought -- no way, never will I eat that garbage. I think similarly I made an almost unconscious decision years ago to just NOT drink sugary beverages. So they aren't an option. This is the way I want to become with refined carbs. The problem is, they are everywhere. So what are the worst offenders in my diet that I need to basically make ineligible?
*Donuts
*white bread in hamburger or hot dog buns
*white bread and sugary sauce in pizza
*Breaded chicken (frozen in bags) or breaded frozen fish
*flour tortillas
*Spanish rice at Mexican restaurants
*potato chips! (I almost forgot these!)

2. I need to not make the perfect the enemy of the good. Example: I bought a few prepared pouches of brown rice & lentils after reading the ingredient label. It really wasn't until I got home that I contemplated that "sunflower oil" is not a exactly a "real" food. I should be avoiding it. However, the packages are still an improvement over my previous diet, and they actually follow my 2018 rule since they are not a refined carb; they are a refined oil. haha loophole. Ultimately, I need to learn how to cook brown rice and lentils together with a decent sort of spice. I can do that right? How hard can that be? But I'm going to enjoy and finish these pouches (they are perfect for a work lunch).

3. I have learned to make a delicious oatmeal! My dad eats it every morning, and has done so for DECADES (he is 76). Healthy happy dude is my dad. Indeed, probably no one remembers that when I joined, it was because of being inspired by his "automated eating" habits over his entire life. Same breakfast, same lunch virtually everyday. Not a lot of "choices" to agonize over. Oh, so back to the oatmeal. Well, unfortunately I don't like oatmeal plain. But if I add a TBSP of peanut butter, yum, yum! In fact, wow! I've already found that I get sort of excited when I see the oatmeal successfully congealing in the pan. What used to look gross to me now makes my brain excited. The dog loves licking my bowl clean. :)

Here's what I ate yesterday (Dec. 31st):

oatmeal, pb, cinnamon, blueberries

apple slices, carrots with hummus, grilled cheese sandwich

corn tortillas with hamburger, beans & cheese
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:02 pm

maybe we CAN forever eliminate a particular food from our diet?
Sure. Why not? Some religions forbid eating certain types of food and I'm pretty sure the adherents don't sit around secretly wishing they could eat it. They just don't eat it. It never even occurs to them that they want it. Vegetarians eliminate meat with the same ease and those that are lactose intolerant walk past the dairy isle. The difference for us is that we already eat "it" and like "it" so we therefor must come up with a sufficiently strong reason to stop.
I need to learn how to cook brown rice and lentils together with a decent sort of spice. I can do that right? How hard can that be?
You could start by reading the spices in your packet and copying those. You could also look up brown rice/lentil recipe ideas online. I did that and found a Panera Bread copy-cat recipe for a lentil-brown rice-quinoa bowl that is unbelievably good.

Your plan sounds delightful. Best of luck to you in 2018.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:16 pm

Sounds like a great plan! Best of luck for a wonderful 2018!

So, you add pb, cinnamon and blueberries to the oatmeal? I am not a huge fan of oatmeal, but I wanna be! I love peanut butter. Never thought about putting it in oatmeal!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:40 am

yep Zippy, it's just a bit of pb mixed in right before I spoon it into the bowl.

Thanks gingerpie for the cooking encouragement. Tonight I baked chicken breasts and I can't believe how easy it was.

Monday, Jan 1
B: oatmeal w/pb & bbs & cinn; coffee w/ milk
L: carrots & hummus; apple slices; quinoa? Can't remember, oops
D: brown rice & smoked salmon

Tuesday, Jan 2
B: BB, strawberry & plain yogurt smoothie; coffee with milk
L: roast beef sandwich, carrots & apple slices
D: pork ribs, carrots & hummus

Wednesday, Jan 3
B: oatmeal w/pb & bbs & cinn; coffee w/ milk
L: carrots, apple slices, walnuts, string cheese
D: chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, corn tortillas

NoSlouch: Lifted weights Tuesday morning and went on the elliptical for 15 minutes today. I joined the gym last Sept., and it is working great. Only problem is that this quarter I can't attend the group classes due to my teaching schedule. So....I am spreading my wings and learning to lift weights on my own. Every morning I walk or bike with the dog for 30 minutes (in the pitch black, I might add). My expectations are to work out 8:30-9:00 M-Th. Lift weights 2X, cardio 2X. Friday I'd like to go on a longer woodsy walk.

KidsUnplugged this quarter -- after school, chores first, then electronics are allowed up until 6pm. Electronic rules are the bane of my parenting existence. I literally have to readjust each quarter based on our schedules and what worked/didn't work the previous quarter.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:58 am

Wow auto, go you! Sounds fantastic!!

I am absolutely sure you can make something a food/drink you just don't eat. Examples - I just don't drink soda. Sugar or diet, just don't buy it have it or miss it. Potato crisps - again, don't have it, never in our house, don't bother when at a party, never miss it. I never experience any cravings for either of these.
Perhaps if it were a larger group (e.g. all sugars) then it's harder?

Also, just a suggestion for weekends, how about on S days if you are out of the house you can have something refined etc, but you don't change what you shop for and store in the house? That way it's not as hard if you go out to an event (oops, sorry, can't eat your bread, or risotto, or cake), but you don't end up with a bunch of processed stuff in your house that you won't normally buy or eat? I have a friend who is vegan at home, but vegetarian when he eats out with us, as a way to make his life easy and be more sociable with friends. Anyway, just food for thought (pun intended).

So, so nice to read your happy, upbeat posts.

PS I love plain oats with a little PB stirred through and some Dutch cocoa powder (just the plain, unsweetened powder). Just a little, but makes it seem like a real treat!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi ironchef -- Wonderful suggestion about the "what's stored in the house" versus "what we are involuntarily exposed to" out and about, haha.

I wish that I had all my decisions firmly in place about getting rid of the refined foods, but I guess I should be gentle with this journey and see what ends up fitting best to allow for long-term compliance.

Nonetheless, so far so good!

Oh, and about getting rid of certain foods -- honestly, there are some tough ones that if I got rid of forever might make a difference in my long-term weight maintenance. I made a list a few posts ago. Even typing donuts makes me feel fear, so I think maybe I better leave that one as allowed for treats at this point. Or, maybe oolala would say that my extreme desire for donuts means they should be banned. Hmmm. Interesting. I remember a few years ago giving up a latte habit to save money, and it was terribly hard at first. But now, years later, I have zero temptation for lattes. They are not banned anymore, but once the habit was broken, the desire just isn't there. And sometimes when I think about getting one (say for a long afternoon drive or a meeting or something), I'll think about the experience of drinking it and realize that doesn't sound that satisfying. I don't look forward to the overfull feeling of having a cup or two of milk when I already ate enough at lunch.

Pizza is another one that would be tough. But in recent years, the experience of jamming down 3 or 4 pieces of pizza has diminished its pleasure quota. Same with ice cream. Doesn't mean I've been eating less of those things, really, but maybe this realization will help me do just that.

Oh, my. Could I be experiencing a NoS Phenomenon? Of the sort that "others" have experienced but I didn't think I had? It's the "overfullness" factor from ice cream and pizza that I don't like. It doesn't feel good to me anymore and makes me regret eating so much. And those dense foods -- it's way too easy to eat too much pizza or ice cream! This is cause for celebration! Get out your tubas, everyone!!!!!! :lol: 8) :D :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Happy New Year !

What fun to read your encouraging posts. You've got the enthusiasm which makes this a challenge not a chore.

As far as certain foods, I don't believe I have eaten a donut in thirty years - probably more. Just don't eat them. Same with lattes or all the other flavored coffee thingies.

Rarely have soda any more - literally maybe a few a year.

Love the oatmeal suggestions. I never put sugar in my oatmeal so the fruit/and or peanut butter/chocolate sound great. I always put cinnamon in mine (also put cinnamon on cereals - I had Corn Chex this morning with whole milk and cinnamon. No sugar.)

Love your thread and plan to read it daily.
Berry

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:34 am

No donuts in 30 years? Berry I am in awe of you! :)

Well my family ate Costco pizza tonight and I didn't bat an eye at it. Can you imagine ruling out pizza forever? :lol:

Thursday, Jan 4
143.8lbs BMI 26.3
B: oatmeal, pb, cinnamon, coffee with milk
L: leftover corn, beans, chicken, tomatoes; carrots and apples
D: brown rice, lentils, smoked salmon; herbal tea

#feelingproud made chicken breasts super easily last night -- coated them in olive oil, sprinkled with garlic salt, baked at 400 degrees for 15 min; then flipped. So easy! Then just sliced the chicken up to include in the corn & bean bowl. Oh, and kids ate it!

NoSlouch: 20 minutes slow jog on treadmill. Listened to sports radio guys dissect the Seahawks (American football) season since we didn't make the playoffs.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:42 am

I just spent 30 minutes or so reading through my thread from previous years. Take a look at this progression:

1. In Sept. 2014, I posted a gushy statement about how much I love my job. When I re-read this today, I was like, what? I don't love my job. Then it came together when I read:

2. Jan 2015 I started doing 2/3 admin work and not teaching much. And everything started unraveling -- weight gain, not posting here, stress, heartburn, not reading to kids as much.

Wow. So the sad thing is I sort of feel like I lost 3 precious years by doing work I didn't like. It makes me feel a bit resentful. But no one forced me, I signed up for it. BUT.....now I will be all the more grateful and all the more thankful to go back to full-time teaching (which will be this fall).

Another thing I saw -- I had a couple times in the past 2 years when I was really really low. Like horribly low. Depressed, I'd say. But those times did pass, and then I'd be back to my more typical bouncy self.

And you guys are amazing. This forum is amazing, and patient, and supportive, and gently honest when I need to hear some tough truths, too. Thank you all!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:15 pm

Friday, Jan 5
142.5, BMI 26.1

B: oatmeal with pb
L: brown rice & smoked salmon; apple & carrot slices
D: date night -- dinner salad, filet mignon, baked potato, aparagus The meal was delcious and I did not feel overfull aftewards! I ate lunch at 11:30 and didn't get to have dinner until 6:45! But it went great.
I did end up having a lot of wine. :oops: I had completed 20 days of no-alcohol but then hubby and I shared a bottle of wine at dinner. Argh. Back on the 40-day no-alcohol wagon today. I really didn't want to have the wine, but my husband and I go out so rarely I didn't want to disappoint him or be the party pooper.

Saturday, Jan 6th -- "Sometimes" Day

B: oatmeal w/ pb; and this morning I also mixed in an egg to the finished product. I figure the egg mostly cooked in the hot oatmeal. Tasted good and added protein to the meal
Snack: Skinny Pop Popcorn -- read the label and saw it's made with sunflower oil. That just seems to be in every purportedly "health" food I have been looking at in my attempt to eat better this year.
L: madras lentils, garlic parmesan bread & an apple
D: Bacon Cheeseburger & a few fries

Note: although an S Day, I purposely reigned myself in. I avoided grazing, and I paid attention to my fullness. I still ended up eating more than an N Day, but nothing over the top. Also, all those refined carbs I think may have given me gas! I am not sure, but I wonder if the bread at lunch and then the burger at dinner didn't sit well. Just a week of avoiding refined carbs and then eating them today got quite an intestinal reaction. I wonder if it was something else or even just a coincidence.
Last edited by automatedeating on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:45 am

Hey now, nobody is taking my pizza :o :roll:
Berry

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:54 am

Haha Strawberry! Who doesn't love pizza, right?

Interesting Weekend. Ate refined carbs but didn't graze too much. I ended up feeling overfull.
Sunday, Jan 7th -- "Sometimes" Day
B: oatmeal, pb, blueberries; coffee w/milk
L/snack: skinny popcorn, 1 candied walnut that turned out to be gross
D: potato soup w/ shredded cheese and last of the parmesan garlic bread
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:44 am

Monday, January 8th

143.0/BMI 26.2

B: oatmeal, pb, cinnamon, & strawberries
L: skinny popcorn, baby bell peppers, almonds, string cheese
D: baked salmon & stir-fry veggies

Lifted Weights
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Help? It's only 2:20 here and my mouth has that sour acid taste I get when I didn't have a big meal. Update: chewing gum helped

B: oatmeal & pb
L: brown rice & lentils, an apple
D: not yet update: black beans, corn & last of the smoked salmon (well, I put half of the meal in my lunch box -- my coworkers will probably not appreciate that I'll be eating fish tomorrow)
2 glasses of wine :oops: This is where you can really see that I'm currently stressed. Shoot.

Marriage counseling at 4pm today. Update: went fine, we mostly talked about our kids today and some current parenting decisions & struggles.

Will check in later, I guess, to record dinner. Might be time for a milky coffee this afternoon.
Last edited by automatedeating on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:47 pm

I've never experienced that!! :shock: Does brushing your teeth help? Acid taste? Maybe a milk drink? Not much help I'm sure but it's the best I've got.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:49 pm

Hang in there auto, you got this! Have a warm drink and then wait until dinner.

I wonder if your counselling appointment is in your thoughts and that (more than your lunch) is what has you jonesing for something?

Look forward to reading your update later.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks ginger and ironchef. I had a little milk and then chewed gum.

I made it!

Although I did have wine again. I guess my 40-day break from alcohol really only ended up 20 days.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:52 am

Wednesday, Jan 10th

142.0/BMI 26.0
B: oatmeal w/pb & strawberries; coffee with milk
L: black beans, corn & last of the salmon
D: chicken enchiladas
1 glass of wine

15 full-blast minutes on the elliptical -- was a good stress reliever.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Thursday, Jan 11th

B: oatmeal w/ pb -- late, at 10:20
L: so not hungry at lunchtime
D: now waiting for dinner!! :) I think I'll be OK, but I am getting hungry! Update: my husband made french dip sandwiches. I passed on the french bread sandwiches, and put my meat in corn tortillas with havarti cheese. It was really good! As in -- I think I PREFERRED it to the regular sandwich bread. :D
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Friday, Jan 12th

141.1/bmi 25.8

B: very late breakfast -- oatmeal w/pb; coffee with milk
L: none
D: trout, potatoes, & broccoli

biked with dog
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi! I think it's amazing that you have a dog that can bike! :wink:

Love being part of the "tribe' with you.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:15 am

My dog is really special to me right now. In hindsight, can't believe I had so much trouble getting used to having him 2 summers ago.

Saturday, Jan 13

B: hashbrowns, bacon, & eggs; coffee w/milk
L: smart pop + snack bag of doritos, diet pepsi
D: chips & guacamole, then salmon, green beans, potatoes, salad + dessert -- 2 homemade cream puffs. Very enjoyable. I actually passed on the homemade bread, which wasn't as hard as it sounds -- I knew I had a full plate of delicious food in front of me already. Ate with friends
2 glasses of wine

A very enjoyable S Day. I ate a lot of good food, but it wasn't anything over-the-top.
So tired right now. Really looking forward to a "delicious" night sleep. :D
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Sunday, Jan 14th

B: oatmeal w/pb
Snack: smart popcorn & bag of doritos
L: 3 corn tortillas w/beans & cheese
D: pizza & wine

Um, quite the S Day. Lots of good football to watch.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Monday, January 15th!

B: bacon & eggs & 1 piece of toast; coffee with milk
L: Madras lentils, baby carrots
D: Brown rice, Lentils & tuna fish

I'm tired and craving carbs today.
Made it! What a victory! All day my mind was telling me to celebrate the holiday, but i had already predetermined today was a N Day.
Last edited by automatedeating on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 pm

When my bubs were new and I was always tired, I often felt that urge to snaffle carbs (especially sugars) to “keep my energy upâ€. Sometimes it helped just to tell myself “I’m tired, not hungryâ€. Is there any way to get a mini-nap, to get what you need (rest), instead of what you don’t?

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:31 am

I’m just stopping by to say hi! 👋ðŸ»

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Tuesday, Jan 16th

B: coffee w/milk
L: black beans, cheese, sour cream, 2 corn tortillas
D: salmon & corn salsa tortillas -- YUM
wine
Last edited by automatedeating on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Well done auto! Victory indeed! Toughing it out when it’s hard is the best habit builder around!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 am

:)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:52 am

Wednesday, Jan 17th

141.6 pds/BMI 25.9 (my 12-year old son has reached my height, and his weight is 98 pounds. :lol: )

B: coffee w/milk
L: quinoa and brown rice
D: spaghetti, I think. But that includes tomato sauce with sugar in it, and refined carbs in the pasta. So..... I think I will try to make something different that is easy to serve next to the pasta. I'll report back. Update: I used the ground beef, some corn, and some kidney beans & shredded cheese to make a little dinner bowl meal. Also one piece of whole grain bread. Not bad.

It is becoming apparent to me that I am STILL on my healthy eating journey. I may be successfully reducing refined carbohydrates, but I am still not eating very many vegetables. And I like them, I just don't like making salads.

Maybe that is the next change (haha, in 4 more years!!)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2