Lagflag Daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lagflag

Lagflag Daily check-in

Post by lagflag » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:43 pm

First of all excuse my English. It is my second language.
Came to NoS after recommended by another forum subscriber (YNAB). I was asking about a healthy eating habit that clicks the same way that YNAB budgeting method clicked, and someone suggested me NoS. It clicked right away, and although I have seen that before somewhere, but this time I said, ok time to try this.

A little Background:
38 Male, 173 Lbs BMI about 26 (minimal muscles) :cry:
I was a believer in the "healthy snacks".
I was eating nuts and fruits all day long! I was thinking that this helps me eat less on lunch and dinner. Obviously I was eating the same amount in my meals with or without snacks before them. That means more calories of course.

I tried counting calories before and it worked, then I was tired of it specially that my wife is a good cooker and always cook from scratch (hard to calculate the calories and nutrants). So I was on a Yo-yo with counting calories.

Now I have been 3 days on the NoS diet. I think this thing is working. Mainly because it is simple. Also I now drink more water, so everytime I feel like I wanted to binge on a snack I drink water instead and I feel fine! I was obviously eating because I am thirty or may be because I was just bored!!

Too early to say I lost weight but I am a patient person. And the good habits themselves worth doing it:
- More water
- More joy during the meal
- I now eat when I am hungry (sure of it this time cause it is only three meals)
- Sleep earlier (before I feel I want to snack!)
- Waking up earlier (So I can find time to eat a decent breakfast that fills me up)
- Free mind between the meals so I can do more things in life than eating
- No worry when getting out cause I "need a snack and no snack is around"

Also, today is the first day that I notice that I don't really have to fill my plate that much, I can still do 1 plate, 3 meals, yet healthy food and healthy portions. To my surprise I can survive that!!

I hope this works for lifetime, I will stop by here to update my weight and BMI and success rate every now and then. Wish me luck!

Thanks!

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:54 pm

lagflag, It looks like you're doing everything right. Having a good cooker is key too. I loved that comment.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 am

Welcome lagflag. Firstly don't worry about your English, for a non-native speaker it's really very good. I also wanted to say that I really recognise what you say about the healthy snacking adding up to more calories. That is exactly what I was doing too. NoS is all about being sensible and moderate, I think you'll find it's what you're looking for. Hope to see you on the forum often :D
I CAN do this.

lagflag

Post by lagflag » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Day 4 (S day):
Lost 1.2 Lbs!

Although it is nothing compared to what I have lost before (before getting the lost weight back), but this time just feel different. I feel it is going to be consistent.
Before, I was following a vague advice: Eat healthy, exercise, you are good to go. But how much of that "Healthy eat" is really needed Vs how much is excess? no one knows! Not anymore with NoS :D

Also, yesterday I walked with my wife about 4.3 miles after we had our dinner (this is an already a habit that we built together, it is fun time to spend together as we talk in various subjects). Before NoS I would come back home, feel the need to snack, and I snack all the night which offsets the calories lost from the walking. But now I am sure that 1 calorie lost by walking is lost forever! Since I now eat the same amount of food no matter what, so it is almost impossible to compensate what I have burnt already. This is an amazing thing actually and what really makes me optimistic that I won't get my lost pounds back! :lol:

lagflag

Post by lagflag » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:18 pm

It is Monday, my first N day after my first S days! I tried to eat reasonably in the weekend as possible, also walked a lot and even played soccer with a friend and his little boy in the backyard!
My weight is still not changing but it is too early to judge, I am 0.8 Lbs more since I have started (less than a week).
Looking forward for a long term progress..
Oh! and I am excited that today is a N day!

bd88

Post by bd88 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Good going on the both the loss and being more active with your family!
I also was excited to get back to an N-day today, which is not something I anticipated AT ALL when I began. I thought for sure that I would indulge like crazy on S-days and then really resent having to get back to N-days. Not only is this not the case, but I didn't even feel the need to overindulge in preparation of the incoming N-day yesterday, which is definitely something I would've done in the past. The no snacking seems to be the key for me. If nothing else, I know I will keep that up forever just because of the drastic change it has made in such a short time for me.
Determined to break the diet mindset, confront my disordered eating, and embrace myself fully and unconditionally.

lagflag

Post by lagflag » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:37 pm

A double victory!
Yesterday we had a birthday party in my work. As usual, sweets (awesome pie) from Wegmans that are irresistible were served. I was about to collapse for a moment then I thought, "well Saturday is only a couple of days away, plus if I can take my share home, I will share it with my dear wife!" So I did that. It feels awesome to finally feel I am in control, not others. I who choose which days I eat what, and the best part is that I didn't miss the cake. Other diets will be like: you have 2 options, eat the cake and fail or resist and miss the tasty flavor forever. NoS is different, because I can still succeed while not missing on the sweet, just delaying it. And if all the weekday sweets were delayed to Saturday and Sunday, i am sure i wouldn't be able to eat them all anyways, ending up by having 10th of the sweets quantity if was eaten during the weekdays.

The second victory is that this morning I found that I've lost 2.4 Lbs since I've started (9 days ago). That's a very motivated progress.

I think I am sticking to NoS! Thanks Reinhard!

lagflag

Post by lagflag » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm

06/26/2017
168.20 LBS

bd88

Post by bd88 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Congrats on your progress!
That is such an awesome double victory!
Determined to break the diet mindset, confront my disordered eating, and embrace myself fully and unconditionally.

lagflag

Post by lagflag » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Almost 2 months now, I have lost 10 lbs and not do not feel that I do any diets at all! I ate junk food (reasonably) when I really crave it, I then eat healthy the rest of the time. Drink a lot of water now.. When over dose a meal, my body learned automatically to adjust the meal next or even skip it since it is no longer that hungry..
I don't do the vanilla NOS anymore since I got the idea of it. I don't feel I need a physical 1 plate to put all the food it, I can eat the same exact amount of food, or even less, but distributed among 2 plates for organizing purposes.
I eat very very tiny portions snacks (usually fruits or nuts) when I feel I want to.
But comparing to my old habits of eating when hungry, when tired, when bored, and even when there is no reason or excuse to eat!! That is a huge progress!!
For the first time since a decade or more I weight less than 165 lbs and my bmi is finally in the green zone!

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Congratulations on your great progress. Nice to see how you've modified NoS to make it work for you.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days