Noni's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:14 pm

I don't remember talking about using dessert plates. I don't like using little plates, although I'll sometimes put my morning bread on a saucer. I have luncheon plates but they're 8", I think. Anything smaller than that and I feel like I'm sitting at the kids' table. But the dense food is usually less than half the plate in volume.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

noni

Post by noni » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:00 pm

Oops...not sure why I thought that, Oolala!

I have found old calendars that I keep in the past that are marked with Habitcal. I was on No S longer than I thought, second time around. Toward the end of my vanilla No S, I added counting bites for a few weeks, stopped that, then tried my own combo of "wise" diet advice. Then all quiet on the [eastern] front.

Throughout all, I'd add comments of why I got a red day, and some of these entries, sound pathetic or desperate.

I feel a lot more calm this time around, even though I'm eating less. There is hope for anyone struggling like I did. Giving it time, a little tweaking of your plates, and adding mods, if necessary. No S designed specifically for you, and...eureka!
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 pm

We like to say there are no stages, unlike diets where people do some crash version, etc., but there really are for most of us.

Isn't it interesting to look back and see how much we clung to our eating? But I don't think we can rush the process, at least not without some compelling reason. It just evolves and I think even the down times are part of it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:44 pm

oolala53 wrote:Isn't it interesting to look back and see how much we clung to our eating? But I don't think we can rush the process, at least not without some compelling reason. It just evolves and I think even the down times are part of it.
I was attempting to rush the process recently when my husband wanted to go out for breakfast, and yesterday another breakfast out with my daughter. All I could think about is, 'this is going to set me back.' Then I came to my senses and saw how little I actually ate out, how much I enjoy it, and I usually take home 1/2 the food for another day, anyway. I have the rest of my life to eat moderately. What's the rush?

Today (Saturday), so far has been good. I bought doughnuts at the Amish Mart, and for breakfast I had about a half of one. I was going to sample another flavor, but I will eat a sweet after lunch as usual, so why not save it for then? No S makes me think things through more rationally. Hopefully, it will spill over into other areas!

Yesterday, my daughter and I found a natural soap store in a Market. All the beautiful smells! I spent too much money there, but it was the most excited I've been in a store that wasn't a bakery. That was exciting as well!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:24 pm

With No S, it's almost an advantage that restaurants push so much food. Nearly everything is half price when you get two meals out of it! Sometimes I even get three, but I just about always add my own freggies.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:44 pm

I think about how I used to order a Chinese takeout lunch, with one pint of wonton soup included, and eat the entire thing at one sitting. Now I can make that baby last for 5 days!

noni

Post by noni » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Not a wild weekend, but did gain 2 lbs over it. That's pretty normal for No Ser's like us. Didn't Brian Wansink say that even losers and maintainers do this? But then lose it all by the end of the week. That may be a challenge for me this week: visiting relatives, cooking ahead for Easter, lots of company on Sat means lots of desserts (daughter will miss Easter dinner if I have it on Sunday).

Oh well, it's like medical doctors practicing medicine throughout their careers, and we practice our No S throughout our lives.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Just do your best to put food on a plate for each meal and try to eat so that you're hungry for the next one. If you're not, consider eating less.

But enjoy every bite.

And if it's more active, fill up on the company and ambience. :)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:23 pm

oolala53 wrote:And if it's more active, fill up on the company and ambience. :)
Thanks Oolala. With 10 grandkids going to be in the house, that will be some kind of ambience :shock: Looking forward to it, though :)

noni

Post by noni » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Tried a recipe called, Baked Ravioli Casserole yesterday. I always read reviews, because many times they have wisdom. The raviolis just wouldn't cook through on the edges, as it's a thicker pasta. I had to stir them up from the bottom, messing up my layering. This is what I get for practicing on people other then family. Much sampling for doneness, done me in. It is a fail day, on my manual calendar.

Usually by this morning, I have lost the weight gain from the weekend. Not so this week. But I'm happy to see the 130's again. As I lose, it takes less food to lose further, and even to sustain the lower weight. I'll keep to my 2-3 meals a day. I also will keep to my sweet mod, at least for now, because since I implemented it, it has kept my S-days lighter.

noni

Post by noni » Wed May 03, 2017 1:40 pm

My No S is steady going with a small plate and a sweet mod. My last recorded weight was on 3/31 @ 138-1/4 lbs. As of this morning it was 136-1/4 lbs. I may drop a bit or gain some from there, especially after the weekend.

My S days are still pretty much under control, normally. This past Sat, though, I ate at a party with some delicious foods, and it was hard to stop. My stomach ached, which was something that hasn't happened in quite a while. I skipped dessert, which was unheard of for me, and even the thought of taking it home was a turnoff, so I didn't. And a plus was that I didn't think the next day, "why didn't I take that cake home. I knew I would be hungry for it later."

My N days, with the sweet mod are doing okay, except for my unusual penchant toward Tastycakes on 1/2 price sale. So I buy a few boxes of my old favorites. I get them home and will only eat one piece in a package after dinner, or on an S day, eat a couple pieces for breakfast, for my junk food Saturday. But the other 4 people in the house aren't cooperating with me, so it's me and the Taskycakes. You always hear, "Never food shop hungry." I think I should try eating some breakfast before shopping, but just not cereal; it feels like I never ate anything. An egg with toast may help. Tastycakes don't even taste as good anymore, what with more of the added chemicals. I know that this has slowed down my weightloss. I'm sliding down that slippery slope, in spite of my days called "green."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:27 am

You'll probably "get over" them, either naturally, or from not being willing to let them hold you back eventually, if you think they are.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Fri May 05, 2017 12:51 pm

You may be right, Oolala. I had an ice cream novelty obsession for years, but to overcome, I would take a detour in the supermarket. Now I can pass it by, but I don't look at it. Not a lingering look, anyway :?

I'm finding it harder to get those last several lbs off to reach the edge of the normal BMI. I rarely eat breakfast during the week, I eat on a small plate, and I don't load it up, although, my dinners are not that light. My sweet mod is quite small after lunch and dinner, which in turn has helped me curb the S days. I exercise only a little, trying to get more than 2 or 3 days of stretching in. I'm not crazy about exercise, but this is tolerable, almost pleasant. I just rather be doing something else. I did lose quite a bit of weight and I'm not unhappy with this.

Oolala, you have taken off weight at a goodly age and reached your normal BMI. Weren't those last 5-10 lbs rough to come off of you? Were there any magic tricks up your sleeve to get there?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:02 pm

It took me two years to get to a normal BMI but I was never doing anything specifically to get to it. There were many plateaus along the way and I rarely adjusted anything because of the scale. I'll let you know that I had some very light eating on S days at times, sometimes eating way less on one day a weekend than I did even on an N day. It wasn't to lose weight, as I never pursued that. I was just always trying to cooperate with my lessened hunger (even though I often still want food). Sometimes weight loss would follow a weekend like that, sometimes not. I'm glad I was never doing it for that purpose. Otherwise, it would have felt like I was torturing myself for no good reason when I would eat so lightly and have a lot of fluctuation after it. Any weight that did come off would usually come in a spurt that was almost impossible to trace back to individual days. it would just seem like the body finally accepted the lowered overall amount over the course of several weeks or months and shift downwards.

I gently suggest that you consider what else you might want that more eating changes could get you besides weight loss, something you can't get eating the way your are now. People often lose weight as a side effect when they make changes for other reasons/values. That's pretty much how it's been for me. This is not to say that I"m not reducing my intake. I am. But I'd be doing what I'm doing whether it netted loss or not.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Sat May 06, 2017 12:23 am

oolala53 wrote:
I gently suggest that you consider what else you might want that more eating changes could get you besides weight loss, something you can't get eating the way your are now. People often lose weight as a side effect when they make changes for other reasons/values. That's pretty much how it's been for me. This is not to say that I"m not reducing my intake. I am. But I'd be doing what I'm doing whether it netted loss or not.
That is a good question to ponder. At the start of No S success, my reflux disappeared, and as I continue to lose weight, I hardly feel pain anymore in the knees when climbing stairs, I don't snore anymore, either (on the other hand, losing weight has brought about the faint lines of wrinkles beginning in my face, and neck is starting to get crepe-like).

Thank you, Oolala. It's food for thought - the zero calorie kind.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:06 am

My skin has gotten incredibly crepey on arms and more recently on chest, but I ascribe that to the years of reduced hormones after menopause. It's possible I had never been heavier it would be less pronounced, but I'll never know now...

How do you feel energetically? Or in terms of stomach comfort when eating less? How much do you enjoy your food when you stick to the plan or don't get so full?

No reflux, less pain in the knees, no snoring. These are very good reasons to give up some eating pleasure, I would think. Especially when you still get to eat some great meals!

And I bet you'll start noticing more.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Sat May 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Oolala, my energy is like this: I have to drag myself to begin a cleaning project, but when it comes to something I like to do, like cook a new recipe or take a nap, I jump to it, lol. I guess that is nearly everyone's problem at every age. But getting older, it seems I prefer those sedentary activities, like the computer, watching tv or reading.

As far as enjoying my smaller meals? More than ever! I feel better in the stomach, and yes, energy-wise, it's easier to propel myself out of the chair to clean up. If there is a particular meal I like and I made enough for my guys to eat seconds, I will squirrel away a small portion of it for lunch so I don't feel sorry for myself.

Thank you for the encouragement!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:32 pm

I meant more what is your energy like when you don't overeat. Sure, it can also be influenced by what it is you have to do. Unpleasant tasks stay undone at my house for years, sometimes. Yet there's time for the internet, movies, reading, talking on the phone, etc. :?

But my body feels better more often when I don't overeat. That's a motivation for saying no when I still sometimes WANT to eat after a perfectly reasonable amount of food. Actually, like now... :roll:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Tue May 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Well, I'll put it this way...when I was on IF for a year or two, I really had plenty of energy those days that I didn't eat until dinner. I just grew "weary" of not eating! Now, most weekdays I don't eat breakfast, just coffee with a bit of cream, and mornings are my best self.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Isn't it funny? but annoying funny. I've kinda been able to get some distance from being frustrated with wanting to eat when I'm not hungry, but it took some doing, and yes, it can be wearying. But I'm in a bit of a groove with it right now. I have a low eating day every third or fourth day now, and I like the rhythm of it. I'm often not hungry for my meals on other days but I like eating them. I still want to eat. What's it like to forget to eat or to feel very content with not eating a meal when I'm not actually hungry for it? I have little enough real hunger to do it, but I never forget that I haven't eaten.

Three nice meals today, right?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Oolala,
I used to feel stomach growls when I got hungry. Even when I don't eat past dinnertime until next day's lunch, I rarely get that growl. I miss it. It's not as forthcoming, feeling that growl, as you age. My meals are quite small, albeit dense, but dense makes me happy.

Red yesterday. Went to a senior citizen dinner, as a guest, with my mother. Food was good, and I only took the food I wanted, so not a large amount. They served each of us two desserts, but I only wanted one type. Did really well for one who rarely eats out. It would have been a green day, not even a NWS day since I have the sweet mod. If I had eaten the second dessert, it would have been marked NWS for me, just so I know what makes my weight go up. Information. But when I came home, I couldn't stop eating the nuts and pistachios given to me. Then I started on the cotton candy grapes, and couldn't stop eating those either. Nothing was "bad" for me, but my mod is sweets with lunch and dinner, not snacks. My grandmother always said, "Honey, once you start eating between meals, it's hard to stop."

I picked up 3/4 lb from it. It may come back off by tomorrow, or a bit of it, but now we are facing the sweekend (as kaalii likes to call it), and I usually would have a small deficit going in.

Another learning experience.

UPDATE: Just went back to eating normally on my smaller plate for one day and the excess - plus another little bit - came off. My sweet after dinner was some cut-up fruit with a good spoonful of vanilla yogurt on top. Maybe that helped instead of some type of junky food.

In summary, if you have a red day, don't let it derail you. Just go back to No S compliance next day and it will come off again. How long? That depends on how much you overate and your own personal self. All I know is me; short, older, and don't move around much.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:18 am

Curious what you would do next time in similar situation. Put nuts away as soon as home? Left them there?

I miss real hunger, too.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Wed May 24, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm not sure what I'd do next time. No one was home at the time, so even though I sorta put the snacks out of the way, they were not out of mind. I'm just glad it doesn't happen that often. I think it's the messing with my routine that's messing with me. I just need more practice to learn resolve!

My sons come home with lots of candy bars (love) from visiting their grandmother quite often. I'll ask for a couple from my favorite one, and eat them at an appropriate time. I stay out of their stash, otherwise, as I feel like I'm stealing from them, although I know they would share. There is a shame factor involved with my asking for more candy. A good thing.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:30 am

I read once of an American woman visiting in France. At an event, a tray of chocolates was served. She was embarrassed when she realized that she was the only adult to take more than one, even among the men.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Sun May 28, 2017 6:39 am

Wouldn't it be so much easier if out of sight really was out of mind. In my most extreme moments I sometimes take the bottle of washing up liquid and drizzle it over food so that it can't be eaten. Sometimes open packets of crisps before they go in the bin (in my bad binge eating days I have removed packets of chips from the top of the bin) or mixing bowls with cake batter in. Although the last time I baked and did this, my husband came in and went directly to the mixing bowl for a taste, while my head was in a cupboard. It was hilarious :D :D
I CAN do this.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:52 pm

I've poured salt into batter. Soap is even better. Though not for your husband.

Yes, it would be convenient if eating didn't occur to us outside of meal times, but it hasn't become that way for me. I accept it and keep to my meals as well as I can.
Last edited by oolala53 on Wed May 31, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Wed May 31, 2017 1:34 pm

Oolala and Skycat: no garbage disposal?

The 3-day weekend gave me more than a 3 lb gain. But I took my ex-wrestling husband's advice: go back to the way you were eating and it will come off. I did, and in one day 2-1/2 lbs came off. Granted, it was mostly water and some undigested food, but if it's not nipped in the bud, it would grow (no pun intended) into something more.

If I had done this the two other times I was on No S - being diligent in returning to keep my N days green instead of getting discouraged by the weekend gains - there wouldn't be two other times.

Still I wonder how long I'm going to get away with this.
Last edited by noni on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:14 pm

In my case, usually too many dishes in the sink blocking the disposal...

I'm probably repeating myself, but being able to get back on whatever program you're on is one of the main skills cited by numerous long term maintainers on the national weight loss registry. It made the difference between when they kept failing and when they finally just said I'm not gonna quit and that got them where they wanted to go. After reading that, I remembered so many times hearing of other people saying just get right back on it just go back to your plan. Course that doesn't communicate how hard that can feel in the moment, but it's what works.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:56 am

Nope, no garbage disposal. It's just not a thing in either the UK or Germany, maybe it's just an American thing. Had to use my washing up liquid trick again yesterday following a binge on crisps. Well done on getting back on plan, I'll be trying to follow your good example.....
I CAN do this.

noni

Post by noni » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 pm

No disposal at my house, because I have well water/septic system - a big no-no. Most developments automatically put it in when they are receiving city/town water. But I don't need one; I have 4 male family members at home.
Last edited by noni on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:45 pm

I would aim for two days a week of a long overnight fast plus the equivalent of one decent meal on the "down" day. But I don't see that coming in the next few weeks.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:58 pm

This Sat., I edged my way into the normal section of the BMI chart by a whopping 1/4 lb. I knew it wouldn't stay there but a minute, but it was nice to see; it's been a while. I figured it would take 2-3 weeks to stay there in a semi-permanent way. Not so sure now after this weekend:

Graduation Party on Sat, followed by Sunday's covered dish meeting, followed by Father's Day goodies from the previous graduation party leftovers my DD brought along. I was already full from the covered dish get-together, but that didn't stop me from eating again. By the end of the night, when stomach was hurting, my sweet-faced GD, handed me a S'mores she made just for me. What was I to do? So I took it like a champ, then this morning I weighed myself as I usually do. Five and one quarter lb gain. The most weekend gain since the new year. It was expected, and I guessed it would be 5 lbs, but ouch!

I'm wondering if idiot-eating resulted in an unconscious feeling of complacency with the BMI goal, or perhaps I get a kick out of sabotaging myself. Well, whatever it is, I just need to do a good week of No S. I'm curious to see how much of it comes off. So far the 2-3 lb normal weekend gains disappear by the end of the week. Would an over 5lb gain also? This is almost fun.

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:28 am

Wow what a weekend, that sounds both busy and fun. Congrats on getting into the normal section on the BMI chart, I remember from the last time I managed that, what a huge achievement it felt like. I wouldn't worry too much about the gain. You did it once with this plan, and so sticking to this plan you'll do it again :D
I CAN do this.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:53 am

noni wrote:This Sat., I edged my way into the normal section of the BMI chart by a whopping 1/4 lb.
Congratulations! Hang in there!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:49 am

Let it takes as it does. It's all part of the learning curve.

BTW, I have seen my thin nephew-in-law take offered food from little kids (or anyone else), say thank you very enthusiastically, and eat no more than one bite with little negative repercussion from the food offerer. He just keeps insisting he'll eat more later. And it often doesn't. No one has ostracized him yet over it.

I tend not to think of myself as weighing any particular weight until I've seen it repeatedly for a few weeks. For me it was just a source of torture to believe that I had "lost" the weight forever on the day it happened to show a weight I liked. It responds to so many different things! And there are only so many I'm willing to negotiate.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Skycat, Merry and Oolala, thank you for your encouragement!

How true that you need a few weeks to realize a certain weight loss milestone. Life happens.

Results:
Last hogged-out weekend resulted in 5.25 lb wt gain on Mon (highest wt day).

Today's (Sat, my lowest wt day) wt is a 3.75 lb loss from that. So in previous months, I had been able to lose the normal weekend gain of 2-3 lbs and even a bit more by that following Sat. Gaining more than that on S-days makes it harder to lose it by the end of the week. Surprise!...being an idiot on S days doesn't help. I'm stating the obvious, but don't scientists do that, too?

I had a birthday on Thurs (forgot to account for the extra S-day for that...isn't it that way when you get older, you start forgetting it's your birthday? Except if there are family still living with you, and they say, "Where's the cake?"), so I ate more sweets that day, but I wasn't an idiot, honest, because, even though I picked up my favorite cake, Italian Rum, it had none or very little rum in it. I could have eaten the whole cake and driven the car. Disappointing! Now I have to find another one to get that boring taste out of my mouth.

noni

Post by noni » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:18 pm

oolala53 wrote:
BTW, I have seen my thin nephew-in-law take offered food from little kids (or anyone else), say thank you very enthusiastically, and eat no more than one bite with little negative repercussion from the food offerer. He just keeps insisting he'll eat more later. And it often doesn't. No one has ostracized him yet over it.
You're right. I could have eaten just a bit or two, and said I'll savor the rest for later. Maybe she was staring me down, because she liked her Nonna a little more plump. I know I liked my soft, plump grandmas!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:05 pm

We need a heart icon.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 pm

And a like button

noni

Post by noni » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:21 pm

About a month ago I came back from the vaca/conference of 3 buffet meals a day. It had been a concern of mine. I had gained a bit over 3 lbs, which I was happy with, since I ate to my heart's content. I normally will gain that after a weekend. I did a lot of walking, which I'm sure was a big assist.

No, my problem was that I came home to start a weekend. I actually kept forgetting about my little plates for a few days, and I was also used to eating a lot and kept wanting more. A couple more lbs were added.

It took only a couple weeks to get back to my before-the-vacation weight, because I eventually returned to my previous strategy of mostly two meals (lunch and dinner), small plates, and a small sweet mod M-F.

I don't go out to eat much - hardly ever - so when something like this comes up, I take full advantage. I wish it were different, but I was like this for many years, even at normal weights. I can't see a change in my behavior this late in life regarding special occasions, especially if I can find a reasonable way to get the weight back off soon afterwards.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 pm

That actually sounds reasonable. If your situation changed and you "had" to eat away from home more, you would probably have to find a solution. What you do isn't that different likely from how it was for humans early one. If you can recreate that, great. In fact, we are all in the process of learning how to recreate some scarcity on a consistent basis in our eating. The culture won't do it for us.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:49 pm

I really need to do the December challenge. I haven't done it for a couple months or so. Weight has remained pretty steady during that time, but now with Thanksgiving passed (or is it?), and Christmas approaching, I'm struggling some.

TG Day I had my daughter's family over. We both like to cook and bake, so it was a feast, and I ate like it was my last day. Very uncomfortable. I told myself I would skip my BF, as I usually do during the weekday, but didn't. Fri through Sun caused a 4 lb gain on Monday morn. This holiday should only last one day! But eating a lot makes me want to keep eating a lot! I woke up Mon morn determined to go back to my normal routine, and I had actual stomach rumbling. I ignored the begging from a stretched out pouch and just ate on my small plates for the two meals remaining. I lost one of those lbs this morn (Tues).

I usually keep my grandkids overnight from TG Day thru the next evening, so it's hard to insist that all the desserts go back to my daughter's house. Not to mention that she watches her sugar intake sans holidays. Always our promise of making less food and desserts on TG goes unheeded.

I do a sweet-mod during the week. At the beginning, it helped me resist wild S days for a good while, but I eat junk chocolate candy bars M-F (I usually don't have desserty-desserts on N-days). I have been holding steady after my weight loss, but it's holding me back from losing a couple more pounds. And I'm starting to pick up more junk eating on my S days. So I got rid of the junky chocolate bars, but kept the better chocolate, which is only a little better. I'm thinking of just eating those once a day instead of twice. A weening process. And rules are needed for me on S-days: 2-3 meals and a small sweet or dessert after lunch and dinner. BF on S-days are like donuts or muffins, etc...because that is what everyone in the house wants.

Maybe accountability would help during Dec.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 am

Hi! So glad you're here with Team 2017 to ride through the holidays!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Being on No S through the Holidays, kept me from eating my way from Thanksgiving through New Year's Day, this time around. I only overate Christmas Eve through NY's Day. Gained 6 pounds from it, but I'm determined to get back on track. My heartburn started to creep up, my knees were starting to ache a bit when climbing stairs, and just generally feeling overfull and never hungry was my overeating reward.

My family had received 5 boxes of chocolates as gifts (darn those sales!), and previously, my idea of getting rid of them was eating them. I did do that to a degree, but stopped myself. I put most of them in the freezer to give away or share at a potluck. Even though I have a sweet mod in which I will eat a piece of chocolate after a meal, it is certain chocolates that I enjoy more and want around longer. The gift choc are cheaper, and trigger that 'eat them all up and out of the house' type for me.

Here's hoping for a good month and year of No S compliance to all!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 am

What a great year, Noni! I'd be very surprised if all of those 6 lbs. hung around long. It's just not possible that in that time you overate by 21,000 calories. Got to be mostly water from salt/sugar/carbs in general.

Warmest wishes for the new year.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:58 pm

Thank you, Oolala. And you're correct...two lbs came off already this week, and that is with a couple red days, but smaller indiscretions. I'll tell you though, even though my stomach wasn't growling from hunger after scaling back the holiday-time junk, I started getting literally shaky from coming down from a sugar fix.

noni

Post by noni » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:23 am

Okay, I'm not able to control myself around chocolate anymore. That was my mod...a sweet after lunch and dinner, normally consisting of a single piece of chocolate. I did good for a whole year, but when Christmas hit, and lots of choco candy given to us as it is every year by a family member whose motto is, "junk food=love" I caved. It's not even the 6-7 lbs I regained (altho' not so happy about that), but that same out-of-control feeling I hate. I want to keep a sweet mod, because I tried vanilla a couple times at length and weekends never tamed, causing discouragement and weekday spillover.

I'm going to try a slightly different tactic: No buying choc candy with the intention of eating it as a mod. I'm not going to say forever; in this case, "forever" is a discouraging word for me. I can have a dessert after dinner if it's something worth eating (I usually have ice cream and store bought cookies around for family, which is easy for me to resist). I can would eat something leftover from baking over the weekend, for me to partake. I can control the desserts, I just can't control the milk choc truffles and the like. I'll miss the choc after lunch, but I'll substitute 2-3 prunes, along with the few nuts that I normally eat. I need them anyway :roll: I really hope this works out for me.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:26 am

Hi there! I can really identify. I bought too much chocolate over Christmas and it kind of put me over the edge. Better not to have it around in those volumes!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:06 am

Hi Noni, darn those chocolate truffles. People are always buying them for me, too, and I am powerless to resist. Chocolate is definitely my nemesis, too. My S days have been filled with the stuff.

I hope your plan is successful - I certainly have found that giving it up completely during the week has been more effective than my pre-No S method (to eat it in small quantities as a dessert, rather like you did). Those small treats kept the addiction alive for me, and eventually the small bars gave way to huge ones.

One thing that’s helped me, I think, is that these days I make an effort to avoid going into the supermarket. In our local place, you walk in and WHAM! a chocolate offer is right there. It’s excruciating!

Even going without chocolate for a single day is an achievement, and your ‘not forever’ attitude will help, I’m sure. Good luck!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:40 pm

noni, I think your approach sounds perfect! I'm actually in the same boat as you--after my daughter's wedding last year, which coincided with the start of the holiday season, I happily threw caution to the wind and fully enjoyed all the goodies the many festivities had to offer. Now that Lent is upon us, everything is in place to get back down to my "comfy" weight, as I like to call it. I think your strategy of "limiting, but not never" is spot on. You can do this! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

noni

Post by noni » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Thank you kind ladies for your encouragement. Sometimes I feel all alone in this, but I know many of us have this problem. My daughter is given a lot of candy and snack cakes for her family by the same relative. She was near tears seeing how she couldn't control herself around it, and she otherwise is a healthy eater. It's hard for me to throw out food, even junky stuff, and I feel guilty giving it away. But giving the extra away is what I end up doing.